1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Taking additional math courses

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by tobla, Aug 2, 2015.

1. tobla

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hello

I am a rising junior majoring in pharmacology and I am almost done with my pharmacy pre-requisites.
    My math/science GPA wasn't stellar, so I took a 100-level nutrition course last semester to boost up my m/s GPA and it went pretty well.

I currently have signed up for another 100-level nutrition course for this fall, but I recently happened to think that taking another high level math course would be better.(since memorizing nutrition notes takes more time)

Math is not my favorite, but I've received A's in college calculus 1, 2, intro to differential equation, and statistics.
    The thing is, I didn't do well on other science courses and taking another math course will only show the admission people that I can do math.

I was wondering if someone could tell me if taking more math courses would be okay for the pharmacy admissions.
    Should I take nutrition courses as additional science courses or should I just continue taking math?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Z-Qualizer

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    What is your cGPA & sGPA? Have you thought about retaking one of the science courses you did poorly in? In my opinion, that would carry more weight than taking another nutrition (or similarly irrelevant) course.

4. PharmHealth_KI

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    How is only taking additional math courses going to help your sGPA?

You want to have a competitive cGPA along with sGPA, mGPA, etc.

Your grades in your pre-req courses are more important than the ones that you get on the elective/"filler" courses, so you should focus on maintaining a high GPA through excelling in those courses. However, if you absolutely feel the need to "boost" your GPA with classes such as those that you mentioned, you can, but remember that those courses are not as significant for pharmacy school admissions.

5. MyRealNameIs

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Some schools ONLY look at pre-req gpa and all schools put extra weight on science gpa and/or pre-req gpa.

Retake a science course you got a C that is prereq or try harder in a new science course.

If you can't even get an A in undergraduate science course, how do you expect to succeed in pharmacy school?

Pharmacy school is not a math intensive study and they don't care if you can do linear algebra.

6. deuce_plus

deuce_plus Membership Revoked
    Removed

Non-Student
    I thought a 2.0 GPA was a shoe in for Pharm D admission?

7. nutripharma

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Try and take 4 creditl bio, chem, or physics classes. Those will boost your sGPA and cGPA significantly if you get an A in them, talking about up to a .7 difference.

8. PharmHealth_KI

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    No