Taking Anatomy and Physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honeypot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would an anatomy and physiology class help for the MCAT?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
the class is called "human anatomy and physiology"

Depends on how good your basic bio classes were. The undergrad bio class I took covered everything physio related that you could expect to find on the MCAT. If you have one the more abridged ones, than physio might be helpful, but otherwise it is overkill. Anatomy is not on the MCAT and not particularly advantageous to have had it before for med school IMHO.

the class is called "human anatomy and physiology"

Oh ok, thanks for pointing that out. Anatomy and physiology are two separate classes at my school so that's why I misunderstood. In your case, I would agree with Law2Doc. If you had enough physiology (for the MCAT) in your introductory bio classes, then this class might not help. However, if you haven't had any physiology, I would recommend taking this class. I think the best thing to do would be to ask pre-med advisors (better if students) what they would recommend. You can also try asking pre-med students (who have already taken the MCAT) at your school what classes they took to prepare for the MCAT and if those prepared them adequately.

Would an anatomy and physiology class help for the MCAT?

Thanks!

At my schl, Phy is separate from Ana as well. I took Ana pre-MCAT and it help me a lot. A LOT!

Get Exam Krackers Bio or Princeton Review biological sciences review, and forget about taking a Physio course. What I think you gotta remember for the MCAT is that the more you know sometimes could hurt you as you over think questions. The physio questions are all easy concepts/memorization. No need to kill yourself for this section. Study for Physio first as its really difficult to forget most of this stuff and just quickly review for the MCAT.

It's a fun class, but it's way way watered down (the undergrad combined version). I took it with a ton of nursing majors.

The only math the professor felt comfortable with was CO = HR * SV. If your school offers a standalone physio or biophysics, you'll get dozens and dozens of equations thrown at you which would really help out your PS score.

Take the A&P for fun though. It's a good intro and you still learn some things. Be prepared to memorize to get the grade... it's not really a thinking class.

It's a fun class, but it's way way watered down (the undergrad combined version). I took it with a ton of nursing majors.

The only math the professor felt comfortable with was CO = HR * SV. If your school offers a standalone physio or biophysics, you'll get dozens and dozens of equations thrown at you which would really help out your PS score.

Take the A&P for fun though. It's a good intro and you still learn some things. Be prepared to memorize to get the grade... it's not really a thinking class.

and you'll get to be in a class that's 90% hot chicks

I have to agree with that. I am currently taking Anatomy, not with physio and its a lot of memorization..No thinking, concept based, you either know it or you dont. You have to put more study time than your "usual" classes to get an A.

Ed