Taking anatomy before 1st year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmirchel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much did taking anatomy in undergrad help with your first year of dental school? I am stuck right now weather to take anatomy this fall or take other classes I need. My school does not offer anatomy in spring.

I am pretty much wondering is it a must to have anatomy before the first year of dental school or not.

Members don't see this ad.

How much did taking anatomy in undergrad help with your first year of dental school? I am stuck right now weather to take anatomy this fall or take other classes I need. My school does not offer anatomy in spring.

I am pretty much wondering is it a must to have anatomy before the first year of dental school or not.

Pretty sure some form of anatomy is req'd for matriculation. I know at IUSD it is req'd: IUSD Pre-Req list /

As Doc said some schools require it. Be sure to check the pre-reqs at the schools you are interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only midwestern required it for schools I applied too. If I get accepted to one of the schools that requires it I can take it in summer.

But my question was how much did it help first year? Or how much would it have helped first year if you did not take it.

Only midwestern required it for schools I applied too. If I get accepted to one of the schools that requires it I can take it in summer.

But my question was how much did it help first year? Or how much would it have helped first year if you did not take it.

I think it really depends on which one you take. If you can find a college that teaches Gross take it. Those are hard to come by though, but I took Comparative Anatomy in undergrad and I don't feel like it helps at all. Maybe take A&P if you want, but the depth of the Anatomy will be WAY more in dental school, obviously.

Also, any type of Neuroanatomy/Neuroscience will help a lot as well. I'm not too familiar with Midwestern though so I don't know if that counts as an "anatomy" there or not.

i just started dental school a couple weeks ago and i have to say anatomy is the biggest pain in the ass. it comprises about 70% of my study time. our professor is an a-hole and is known for failing students. he goes soooo fast, the amount of information he expects us to know is crazy. he did the ENTIRE axial and appedicular musculature in 2.5 hrs!!!!! we have to know every little detail about everything. the test come from the book, his note packet, AND his lecture material thats not covered in either. i really wish i took anatomy before. even the kids who did take anatomy are having trouble with it. if you have the option then def take anatomy before dschool cuz it will help you out a lot.

That pace is not any different than in UG. My prof went over the skeletal muscles in two lectures (about three hrs) then added at the end to know all the incertions and origins for the mid term in a week... ~300 muscles, x2 I/O's = 600 'facts'. It only got harder from there on...

i just started dental school a couple weeks ago and i have to say anatomy is the biggest pain in the ass. it comprises about 70% of my study time. our professor is an a-hole and is known for failing students. he goes soooo fast, the amount of information he expects us to know is crazy. he did the ENTIRE axial and appedicular musculature in 2.5 hrs!!!!! we have to know every little detail about everything. the test come from the book, his note packet, AND his lecture material thats not covered in either. i really wish i took anatomy before. even the kids who did take anatomy are having trouble with it. if you have the option then def take anatomy before dschool cuz it will help you out a lot.

That pace is not any different than in UG. My prof went over the skeletal muscles in two lectures (about three hrs) then added at the end to know all the incertions and origins for the mid term in a week... ~300 muscles, x2 I/O's = 600 'facts'. It only got harder from there on...

all the more reason to take it before dental school. there are so many classes i'd rather study for like dental anatomy, biochem, or biomaterials. hell im actually studying anatomy right now...back to it i go :(

Absolutely take it. I'm surprised schools don't require it. If I hadn't already taken it, I would be getting my butt kicked all over the place from Day 1.

Thanks

I already took neuro anatomy and this anatomy is Human Anatomy for Health Occupations so hopefully it helps. Then in the spring I can take physiology.
My dentist told me that neuro was good because he took it at UW and a student in class said it was the same as in undergrad since its one of the harder classes offered.

Thanks

I already took neuro anatomy and this anatomy is Human Anatomy for Health Occupations so hopefully it helps. Then in the spring I can take physiology.
My dentist told me that neuro was good because he took it at UW and a student in class said it was the same as in undergrad since its one of the harder classes offered.

Cool, sounds like it may be a good class to take. No matter what you do to prepare though, it's going to be a shock to your system when you start. A D3 explained it to me as being "sprayed with a high pressure water hose from a fire hydrant (lol)" of information. But it can't hurt to have more info before you get there!!! Good luck to you :thumbup: