Taking BioChem online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nottingham

Accepted Pharmacy Student
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the schools I'm applying to (UMD) requires Biochemistry as a prereq. Problem is, the community college I'm attending does not offer this course. Does anybody have experience with taking it online? Any recommendations for a particular college? (University of New England is the link that UMD has on their FAQ page)

I have taken several online classes very successfully and am familiar with the discipline and time required to understand the material and make the grade. I also like the idea of this online class because I can choose to start it at any time, as I'd only like to take the class if I get accepted to the school. I'm taking Organic at the moment, and should be finished with the first semester by the time I find out if UMD wants me or not.

Also, how do I relay my intent on PharmCAS? Just put it down as a planned course? (and planned University?) Thanks for you help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt you could take a core science class online and have the school let it go, some schools specify no online classes all together. I'm not sure about UMD's standards though. On the other hand, most schools do not even indicate whether or not you took the class online or in the traditional sense on your transcript.

Biochemistry isn't the type of class you want to take online anyway, and I'm not sure if they actually offer it online or how much you'd actually learn with an online course on the topic of biochemistry. As Prepharm1214 said, taking core science classes online normally isn't looked well upon.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the schools I'm applying to (UMD) requires Biochemistry as a prereq. Problem is, the community college I'm attending does not offer this course. Does anybody have experience with taking it online? Any recommendations for a particular college? (University of New England is the link that UMD has on their FAQ page)

I have taken several online classes very successfully and am familiar with the discipline and time required to understand the material and make the grade. I also like the idea of this online class because I can choose to start it at any time, as I'd only like to take the class if I get accepted to the school. I'm taking Organic at the moment, and should be finished with the first semester by the time I find out if UMD wants me or not.

Also, how do I relay my intent on PharmCAS? Just put it down as a planned course? (and planned University?) Thanks for you help! :)

DONT take biochem online!!! I've seen schools (I don't remember them off the top of my head) that do NOT accept pre reqs done online. Don't waste your time, and go to another college to take biochem if its not offered at the one you regularly go to.

Normally I would be hesitant to take an online class such as this (all the online classes I've taken thus far have been economics, humanities etc) however it IS the solution that the school I'm applying to suggested for my problem:

http://www2.pharmacy.umaryland.edu/admissions/pharmd/faq.html#Prereqs
Third question down

So obviously if they're suggesting the course I'd imagine they'd accept the credits. Since this is the ONLY school I'm applying to that requires this class, I don't want to take it unless I get accepted. With the case of the course recommended above, I begin the class as soon as I enroll which will work with my schedule. I am slightly hesitant about taking a rigorous course like this online, but I think I'm up to the challenge (People told me I shouldn't take OChem, Microbio and A&P in the same semester either. I'm pulling all As). Taking the class at another college simply isn't feasible for me due to family circumstances, otherwise I'd do that in a heartbeat instead.

So, no one has taken this class online? There's a roster on the course site with at least a hundred people on it, I was hoping somebody posted here that could give me a heads up. Has anyone heard of Biochemistry offered online at any other school?

Normally I would be hesitant to take an online class such as this (all the online classes I've taken thus far have been economics, humanities etc) however it IS the solution that the school I'm applying to suggested for my problem:

http://www2.pharmacy.umaryland.edu/admissions/pharmd/faq.html#Prereqs
Third question down

So obviously if they're suggesting the course I'd imagine they'd accept the credits. Since this is the ONLY school I'm applying to that requires this class, I don't want to take it unless I get accepted. With the case of the course recommended above, I begin the class as soon as I enroll which will work with my schedule. I am slightly hesitant about taking a rigorous course like this online, but I think I'm up to the challenge (People told me I shouldn't take OChem, Microbio and A&P in the same semester either. I'm pulling all As). Taking the class at another college simply isn't feasible for me due to family circumstances, otherwise I'd do that in a heartbeat instead.

So, no one has taken this class online? There's a roster on the course site with at least a hundred people on it, I was hoping somebody posted here that could give me a heads up. Has anyone heard of Biochemistry offered online at any other school?

University of New England's biochem course has a very good reputation and they are a very good school. I wouldn't worry about the quality of this course as it's very well established. This is not an online course per say; it's more of a correspondence course, not that there's much difference. Every school has their own policy regarding online courses. Most school's I've talked to have said online courses are ok for non-science prereqs, but not for the science ones. Others said it's ok for non-lab courses (such is UE's biochem). Only the University of Iowa told me they don't accept any online courses. As online courses become more accepted I imagine we will see more pharmacy schools allowing them. It's very common now in other health fields such as nursing. Anywho, the best thing to do is contact each school and see what they offer.

University of New England's biochem course has a very good reputation and they are a very good school. I wouldn't worry about the quality of this course as it's very well established. This is not an online course per say; it's more of a correspondence course, not that there's much difference. Every school has their own policy regarding online courses. Most school's I've talked to have said online courses are ok for non-science prereqs, but not for the science ones. Others said it's ok for non-lab courses (such is UE's biochem). Only the University of Iowa told me they don't accept any online courses. As online courses become more accepted I imagine we will see more pharmacy schools allowing them. It's very common now in other health fields such as nursing. Anywho, the best thing to do is contact each school and see what they offer.

I've been taking some courses online, and I before I have taken the courses I have told them my situation--I've taken the prerequisties, which are now old, and some I didn't do so hot in, and now that I'm older and have other responsibiliites, I have asked if I can take the lecture portion of such courses online, and most schools have been receptive about it. I believe University of Georiga, UMKC, Creighton University, Southern Illinois University also accepts them. Lecture only, no labs online, though, which is fine for me because that's what I needed (my undergrad institution did lecture and lab as sepearate grades). The only one so far that has said no is Midwestern in Chicago. I email the Admissions Office to find out what is accepted, and what is not.

I think that these courses will start to be more widely accepted. I feel that if Creighton University offers a DISTANCE EDUCATION PharmD, then why would they not accept online prereqs? That would be stupid to me. Nonetheless, contact the schools, and don't rule ANYTHING out...I've taken the University of New England courses (Orgo I and II) and they were no joke. They were very challenging, and I also liked the flexibility that I could start the course at any time. You have 16 weeks to complete the course, and your grades are on a transcript and lists the semester that you started the course in...Do what you need to do to get to your dream