Taking Biology Pass/Fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kendas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
That's what I did this past fall. I will retake it for a letter grade since dental schools require a letter grade. How will they view the fact that I a.) initially took the class as pass/fail (I passed) and b.) retook it a second time?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

as long as:

1. you do well when you take it for a letter grade
2. can explain why you took it P/F the first time during your interview

you should be fine.

What everyone wants to know....

Why would you take bio pass/fail?

-C

Members don't see this ad :)
Kinda complicated. I took it this past fall for a letter grade, but did very poorly. I had the option to have the letter grade converted to Pass/Fail, because of a strike at my school (Teaching Assistants went on strike, so the administration gave us this option). So, as a way to "cover up" my poor grade, I exercised this option. Now I plan to take it again for a better letter grade. Just concerned about what the D schools will make of this...

kendas said:
Kinda complicated. I took it this past fall for a letter grade, but did very poorly. I had the option to have the letter grade converted to Pass/Fail, because of a strike at my school (Teaching Assistants went on strike, so the administration gave us this option). So, as a way to "cover up" my poor grade, I exercised this option. Now I plan to take it again for a better letter grade. Just concerned about what the D schools will make of this...

hopefully the dental schools arent reading your post ;) just make sure you do better the second time around. i doubt it'd be an issue at all.

A good way to explain it is in your personal statement. I have a friend who graduated from d-school a couple of years ago, and got a C- in intro bio and gen chem, but his dad had gotten really sick and stopped working so my buddy had to be a full-time student and work three jobs to help his mom out. He explained his situation and also retook the classes and got A's before matriculation. Just tip, take it or leave it

kendas said:
I had to explain a Withdrawl on my transcript at one of my interviews. It was Calculus. The teacher didn't show up the first week and when he did he didn't speak english. A student answered a question by saying "negative 50". The teacher didn't understand what the student was trying to say because he didn't know what "negative" meant. Finally the teacher figured it out and said "Oh, you mean minus 50? Minus and negative are the same thing?" :eek: Needless to say I bailed to another class. I was over a week behind on the material and the new teacher spoke with a heavy Chinese accent, "Parabara". I bombed the first test and a ton of kids started to drop out. With all the kids dropping out I knew I was going to be the low man on the curve. I withdrew.
It sounds to me that if the school was willing to offer you the class pass/fail then they know the class was pretty bad. I wouldn't draw any attention to it in your personal statement, just tell them the truth about it if they ask in an interview and they will see that it was the schools goof.

dutchboy, you should have complained the situation to the administration or something. Maybe petitioned to have the teacher fired if the common sentiment was that the teacher sucked and didn't know how to speak english. How did he get the job in the first place?

As others have noted, your first take at biology being a P/F shouldn't be too much of an issue - it at all. I would formulate a quick answer as to why, should it be raised in an interview, that clears up any doubts an adcom might have (the last thing you want to do is go 'um...' and ramble - keep it short and to the point so that you can move on to other topics). Earn a good grade this second time around and you'll be fine. :thumbup:

INFNITE said:
dutchboy, you should have complained the situation to the administration or something. Maybe petitioned to have the teacher fired if the common sentiment was that the teacher sucked and didn't know how to speak english. How did he get the job in the first place?
Your right I should have tried to get the W removed based on the circumstances. I think schools have a hard time finding good math teachers due to the fact that the private market will pay alot more for their services.

I say why bother retaking it? You passed, so you obviously got at least a C. I think retaking it would be a waste of time. IMO, you'd be better off taking some upper level bio classes like physiology, genetics, biochem, cell bio, mol bio, immuno, etc...if u can do well in some of those classes itll show that u know your bio and that intro bio grade was a fluke....just make sure u have an explanation for taking it P/F, and apparently u do, so you're set.

Dutchboy said:
Your right I should have tried to get the W removed based on the circumstances. I think schools have a hard time finding good math teachers due to the fact that the private market will pay alot more for their services.
My anal moment - AHHHH!! Who writes your instead of writing you are or you're? That's like writing et instead of eat.

Anal moment over...

Jeppedo said:
My anal moment - AHHHH!! Who writes your instead of writing you are or you're? That's like writing et instead of eat.

Anal moment over...
I have an answer to you're, I mean your question. Me.

I've got a question/comment for you....

First, will you be able to graduate? At my university you cannot take any class that is required for your major as Pass/Fail, it must have a letter grade attached to it. If you are a biology major, you may want to check this out with your advisor.

Second, don't sweat a C. Tons of people get into dental school with a C. If I were you, I'd ask the administration if I could switch your pass/fail back to the letter grade that you initially received.