Lifeinscrubs

5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2012
Status (Visible)
Hi! I never really post on here so I don't know if this has been asked/answered before, so sorry. I'm a 3rd year and I plan on graduating next year. I've taken most of my pre-reqs already, because I require them to graduate for my major. However, I don't have time for some random requirements like writing classes and sociology for some medical schools. Can I take these classes (I'm willing to take them at a university over the summer) after graduating? I don't want to start a post-bacc program, I just want to take them during a summer session. I'm just not sure how they'll be added to transcripts or GPA or whether or not it's even possible. It's only like 3 classes total and I'm not taking them to boost my GPA and that's why I think it would be a bit pointless for me to do a post-bacc. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks!

Jan 21, 2016
The Lone Star State
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hi! I never really post on here so I don't know if this has been asked/answered before, so sorry. I'm a 3rd year and I plan on graduating next year. I've taken most of my pre-reqs already, because I require them to graduate for my major. However, I don't have time for some random requirements like writing classes and sociology for some medical schools. Can I take these classes (I'm willing to take them at a university over the summer) after graduating? I don't want to start a post-bacc program, I just want to take them during a summer session. I'm just not sure how they'll be added to transcripts or GPA or whether or not it's even possible. It's only like 3 classes total and I'm not taking them to boost my GPA and that's why I think it would be a bit pointless for me to do a post-bacc. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks!
if you have officially graduated, they are post-bacc (post-bachelors degree). What you plan to do is fine and is often called in these forums a "do-it-yourself" (DIY) post-bacc. If you are doing them at a different college you will need to get a transcript from that college itself.

Reactions: 3 users

VillageSweetie

E2018!
2+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Yes, you can take them after you are graduate. I did a DIY Post-bacc. It is usually easier to register for the classes you want if you are a degree seeking student though. It also effects your GPA differently to take a class as a part of your bachelor's degree vs. after. If you need the GPA help, I recommend taking them before graduating.

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Post-bac programs, in the pre-med realm, are for career changers.

You are doing a DIY post-bac, it that.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.