Taking classes after graduating BUT NOT IN A POST-BACC program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lifeinscrubs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I never really post on here so I don't know if this has been asked/answered before, so sorry. I'm a 3rd year and I plan on graduating next year. I've taken most of my pre-reqs already, because I require them to graduate for my major. However, I don't have time for some random requirements like writing classes and sociology for some medical schools. Can I take these classes (I'm willing to take them at a university over the summer) after graduating? I don't want to start a post-bacc program, I just want to take them during a summer session. I'm just not sure how they'll be added to transcripts or GPA or whether or not it's even possible. It's only like 3 classes total and I'm not taking them to boost my GPA and that's why I think it would be a bit pointless for me to do a post-bacc. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I never really post on here so I don't know if this has been asked/answered before, so sorry. I'm a 3rd year and I plan on graduating next year. I've taken most of my pre-reqs already, because I require them to graduate for my major. However, I don't have time for some random requirements like writing classes and sociology for some medical schools. Can I take these classes (I'm willing to take them at a university over the summer) after graduating? I don't want to start a post-bacc program, I just want to take them during a summer session. I'm just not sure how they'll be added to transcripts or GPA or whether or not it's even possible. It's only like 3 classes total and I'm not taking them to boost my GPA and that's why I think it would be a bit pointless for me to do a post-bacc. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks!
if you have officially graduated, they are post-bacc (post-bachelors degree). What you plan to do is fine and is often called in these forums a "do-it-yourself" (DIY) post-bacc. If you are doing them at a different college you will need to get a transcript from that college itself.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, you can take them after you are graduate. I did a DIY Post-bacc. It is usually easier to register for the classes you want if you are a degree seeking student though. It also effects your GPA differently to take a class as a part of your bachelor's degree vs. after. If you need the GPA help, I recommend taking them before graduating.

Post-bac programs, in the pre-med realm, are for career changers.

You are doing a DIY post-bac, it that.