Taking classes after graduating BUT NOT IN A POST-BACC program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lifeinscrubs

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I never really post on here so I don't know if this has been asked/answered before, so sorry. I'm a 3rd year and I plan on graduating next year. I've taken most of my pre-reqs already, because I require them to graduate for my major. However, I don't have time for some random requirements like writing classes and sociology for some medical schools. Can I take these classes (I'm willing to take them at a university over the summer) after graduating? I don't want to start a post-bacc program, I just want to take them during a summer session. I'm just not sure how they'll be added to transcripts or GPA or whether or not it's even possible. It's only like 3 classes total and I'm not taking them to boost my GPA and that's why I think it would be a bit pointless for me to do a post-bacc. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks!
 
Hi! I never really post on here so I don't know if this has been asked/answered before, so sorry. I'm a 3rd year and I plan on graduating next year. I've taken most of my pre-reqs already, because I require them to graduate for my major. However, I don't have time for some random requirements like writing classes and sociology for some medical schools. Can I take these classes (I'm willing to take them at a university over the summer) after graduating? I don't want to start a post-bacc program, I just want to take them during a summer session. I'm just not sure how they'll be added to transcripts or GPA or whether or not it's even possible. It's only like 3 classes total and I'm not taking them to boost my GPA and that's why I think it would be a bit pointless for me to do a post-bacc. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks!
if you have officially graduated, they are post-bacc (post-bachelors degree). What you plan to do is fine and is often called in these forums a "do-it-yourself" (DIY) post-bacc. If you are doing them at a different college you will need to get a transcript from that college itself.
 
Yes, you can take them after you are graduate. I did a DIY Post-bacc. It is usually easier to register for the classes you want if you are a degree seeking student though. It also effects your GPA differently to take a class as a part of your bachelor's degree vs. after. If you need the GPA help, I recommend taking them before graduating.
 
Hi! I never really post on here so I don't know if this has been asked/answered before, so sorry. I'm a 3rd year and I plan on graduating next year. I've taken most of my pre-reqs already, because I require them to graduate for my major. However, I don't have time for some random requirements like writing classes and sociology for some medical schools. Can I take these classes (I'm willing to take them at a university over the summer) after graduating? I don't want to start a post-bacc program, I just want to take them during a summer session. I'm just not sure how they'll be added to transcripts or GPA or whether or not it's even possible. It's only like 3 classes total and I'm not taking them to boost my GPA and that's why I think it would be a bit pointless for me to do a post-bacc. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks!
Post-bac programs, in the pre-med realm, are for career changers.

You are doing a DIY post-bac, it that.