Taking Longer Than 4 Years in Undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulMed777

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am earning my high school diploma, and am finishing two years worth of college credit at the same time through a program most equitable to full-time dual enrollment. After I leave high school, if I were to take an additional 3.5-4 years to finish my undergrad degree, would it look bad? Even though I've been in college for two years, about a semesters worth of my credits were for HS graduation requirements that weren't required for my major. I fully intend to ease my way into the school I transfer to. Only recently did I have the chance to step back and recognize the changes I need to make to achieve a better work life balance. I understand that med school will be much more difficult, and I want to ensure that I have some semblance of work-life balance developed during undergrad. How do med schools view these types of programs? More specifically, how will they view my transcript with respect to how long it took me to complete my undergraduate degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My UG institution’s program was 5 years long (included 3 6mo internships) and it has not hindered me in this process so far!