Taking organic chemistry in community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Turkishking

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would it be alright if I take organic chemistry over the summer at a community college? I was reading an article about this topic, and I would like to see what your thoughts or experiences are regarding this. Thank you.
 
Not preferable.

My UG pre-health office specifically warned us against this.
 
Medical schools pretty consistently say that they expect you to take pre-requisites at a 4-year accredited college or university. So it is not preferable. Often, the bare minimum to be accepted is that a course is taken at an accredited institution (such as a community college).

Then again, the bare minimum for MD schools is a 3.0 GPA and 25 MCAT, but just because you meet the minimum doesn't mean I'm savvy about your chances of getting into Hopkins.

Generally, when a medical school recommends you do something, it is in your best interest to do it unless you absolutely can't. I wouldn't consider being intimidated by a class at a 4-year institution a valid reason, and it's likely that it will look like "cowardice" if someone makes a note of it. For every applicant with your stats, it's likely that there's 3 more who followed all of the "recommendations" set forth.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was forced to take gen bio and gen Chem before I could transfer from a CC. It can be impossible to avoid taking some pre reqs. I can see not taking ochem but sometimes taking some at a CC is not an option.
 
Don't do it.

There's not a good enough reason to take it over the summer at a Community College when you're already attending a University. Orgo is a weeder class, don't get weeded out.
 
I took O-chem at a CC, but I transferred to a university later. If you're at a university already then just take it there.
 
Taking all your pre-reqs at a CC, when you start all of your college at a CC, is fine.

Going from a 4-year uni, detouring to a CC to take hard sciences, is not fine.