Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Taking organic chemistry in community college

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Turkishking, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Turkishking

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Would it be alright if I take organic chemistry over the summer at a community college? I was reading an article about this topic, and I would like to see what your thoughts or experiences are regarding this. Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. md-2020

md-2020 The Immaculate Catch
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Not preferable.

My UG pre-health office specifically warned us against this.

4. sovereign0

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Medical schools pretty consistently say that they expect you to take pre-requisites at a 4-year accredited college or university. So it is not preferable. Often, the bare minimum to be accepted is that a course is taken at an accredited institution (such as a community college).

Then again, the bare minimum for MD schools is a 3.0 GPA and 25 MCAT, but just because you meet the minimum doesn't mean I'm savvy about your chances of getting into Hopkins.

Generally, when a medical school recommends you do something, it is in your best interest to do it unless you absolutely can't. I wouldn't consider being intimidated by a class at a 4-year institution a valid reason, and it's likely that it will look like "cowardice" if someone makes a note of it. For every applicant with your stats, it's likely that there's 3 more who followed all of the "recommendations" set forth.

5. Dr.kennethnoisewater

Pre-Medical
    I was forced to take gen bio and gen Chem before I could transfer from a CC. It can be impossible to avoid taking some pre reqs. I can see not taking ochem but sometimes taking some at a CC is not an option.

BlueCircle likes this.
  6. ac62994

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Don't do it.

There's not a good enough reason to take it over the summer at a Community College when you're already attending a University. Orgo is a weeder class, don't get weeded out.

7. MrLogan13

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I took O-chem at a CC, but I transferred to a university later. If you're at a university already then just take it there.

8. heartsink

5+ Year Member

Taking all your pre-reqs at a CC, when you start all of your college at a CC, is fine.

Going from a 4-year uni, detouring to a CC to take hard sciences, is not fine.

ZedsDed likes this.
  9. gonnif

gonnif Only 747 Days Until Next Presidential Election
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Non-Student