This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

little_giant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school does not require PSYC/SOCI classes for pre-med, but it does recommend that we take them, and I know many med schools also recommend this. I have no time to take any non-major classes anymore, so I cannot take either course at my US institution. However, I did take a health and societies course in college in the US. Furthermore, I took Intro to Sociology at a foreign institution for study abroad where the credits transferred (no grade).

If I did apply to a med school that required sociology/psychology, would this satisfy the requirement?

Also one side question, I took gen chem + lab for my first semester, and then gen chem 2 but NO lab because I got a waiver (but it shows no credits on my transcript -- only waived status). I am going to take orgo lab (I already took orgo 1 + 2 + biochem) next semester. Since all med schools state that they require 1 year of gen chem + lab, I am a little nervous about this especially since I cannot take the lab anymore (senior year) due to scheduling conflicts. Any thoughts? My premed advisor said she had no issues with this.. but I'm still worried.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

My school does not require PSYC/SOCI classes for pre-med, but it does recommend that we take them, and I know many med schools also recommend this. I have no time to take any non-major classes anymore, so I cannot take either course at my US institution. However, I did take a health and societies course in college in the US. Furthermore, I took Intro to Sociology at a foreign institution for study abroad where the credits transferred (no grade).

If I did apply to a med school that required sociology/psychology, would this satisfy the requirement?
The best you can do is email the admissions team at your top school that has such requirement and have written proof that they would accept/not accept your intro to soc class. In my experience, recommend is just because for the MCAT, but I think review material with kaplan or whatever company is sufficient.

Also one side question, I took gen chem + lab for my first semester, and then gen chem 2 but NO lab because I got a waiver (but it shows no credits on my transcript -- only waived status). I am going to take orgo lab (I already took orgo 1 + 2 + biochem) next semester. Since all med schools state that they require 1 year of gen chem + lab, I am a little nervous about this especially since I cannot take the lab anymore (senior year) due to scheduling conflicts. Any thoughts? My premed advisor said she had no issues with this.. but I'm still worried.
again, check with your top school and ask within the same email. Just think at the end of the day, you can't go back to your advisor and say "well they said no, they don't take it."
Thanks so much!

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks so much!

You would have to look up med school prerequisites. I took socy/psych online, 1 at a diff institution, and my undergrad accepted it on my transcript with grade. During my interviews they didnt seem to question it.

If you take the MCAT, you may end up retaking those courses anyways because they’re essential.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You would have to look up med school prerequisites. I took socy/psych online, 1 at a diff institution, and my undergrad accepted it on my transcript with grade. During my interviews they didnt seem to question it.

If you take the MCAT, you may end up retaking those courses anyways because they’re essential.
Would you say the soci/psyc section of the MCAT is completely doable if I self study it?

Would you say the soci/psyc section of the MCAT is completely doable if I self study it?

No. I would not recommend that. Is it doable? Perhaps. But, it's pretty risky considering SOCY/PSYCH is one of four major sections on the MCAT.

Only self-study AFTER you have taken the classes. Also, don't rush the process. If you need extra time to get prereqs for the MCAT out of the way, then do so before taking the MCAT.

No. I would not recommend that. Is it doable? Perhaps. But, it's pretty risky considering SOCY/PSYCH is one of four major sections on the MCAT.

Only self-study AFTER you have taken the classes. Also, don't rush the process. If you need extra time to get prereqs for the MCAT out of the way, then do so before taking the MCAT.
Sigh :( I already signed up for the MCAT for late summer before the next semester starts and cant afford to do summer courses.... Well I guess Khan academy it is!! Thank you for the help :D