Taking summer school courses just before d-school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

detroitriver

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently taking courses year round so I can graduate in 3 years but Im wondering if Dental schools usually allow students to take classes the summer (april-july) before heading off to dental school. Im not talking about pre-reqs but actual courses I would need to graduate...I dropped a class and now Im worried I wont be able to finish in the three years, or in case I need to retake a class to attain a higher gpa. Ive checked on many schools sites and most of them from what I looked at had no information about this. thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

I know for a fact that some schools require you to complete the requirements prior to the summer that you intend to matriculate. Ohio State might be one of these. I can't remember for sure, but I know at least one of the schools I interviewed at this semester said this.

Also, if it's just pre reqs you might be okay. Again, i think it depends on the school. After this year's application cycle calms down a bit, you might send some emails to schools you are interested in, and ask them about it.

I know for a fact that some schools require you to complete the requirements prior to the summer that you intend to matriculate. Ohio State might be one of these. I can't remember for sure, but I know at least one of the schools I interviewed at this semester said this.

Also, if it's just pre reqs you might be okay. Again, i think it depends on the school. After this year's application cycle calms down a bit, you might send some emails to schools you are interested in, and ask them about it.
kk, im also wondering though would I be able to do it if those are the courses I needed to graduate. Say I came up 2 courses short, would I be able to take those classes during that time...is that usually allowed?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
All prereq courses for dental school have to be finished by the end of the spring prior to the fall of the year you enter dental school. All other courses that are required for you to take to graduate (to get your B.S.) can be finished by the end of that summer before you enter dental school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How do you know this is true for all schools? Midwestern says all prerequisite courses and transcripts must be received no later than 2 weeks before the start of school. I am planning on taking Microbiology this summer if don't get in anywhere else, as I can't fit it in next semester because of other prereqs.

All prereq courses for dental school have to be finished by the end of the spring prior to the year to enter dental school. All other courses that are required for you to take to graduate can be finished by the end of that summer before you enter dental school.
awesome...thanks a ton.

it just depends on the school. my friend took physics(full series) over the summer '08 and started llusd a month later(sept '08).

but she's a post-bac so that might have been the reason they allowed her to do that...?