Taking the DAT on July 2014 Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlvaDentistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my Dear Future Dentists,

I am also studying for the DAT. Lets support each other and answer the following questions:

1. How are you feeling?
2. For how long have you studied/do you plan to study for?
3. Weakest area/areas.
4. Materials that you are using.
5. Things that have helped you on the way.
6. Any additional info you might have. For instance anyone you know who has taken the DAT recently and have tips, motivational stories etc...

Add more questions if you have!

I wish you all the best and a "stress-free" time before the DAT (it seems impossible huh?)

:woot:

Members don't see this ad.

Take mine July 29th! Who's with me??

I'm feeling pretty good about the sciences except biology which I don't feel bad about, but there's so much that I feel like a year of studying multiple resources might not even completely prepare you for that section. Feel decent about 'the other 3' sections that I've not neglected, but I've also not spent a load of time on them like I have the sciences. The PAT is probably my weakest section but my state school told me they hardly look at that score so I just want a 20 or so. I still have over a week so I'm thinking a PAT test a day will keep the 'teens' away.

What I'm worried about...getting a 'hard' test and it being heavy in the concepts I might not be as strong in. I tend to have poor luck with that sometimes but it's probably just paranoia. Also, me feeling confident is not a good thing for my study time and effectiveness. I've been going STRONG (9-10 hours a day with literally hardly any distractions or time wasting) for the last two months but the last couple of days have been rough just cause I'm feeling good about the sciences and really don't 'enjoy' studying QR and PAT like I enjoy science.

Anyways, this was more of an unloading of my own thoughts than a request for help so good luck to everyone taking the DAT soon and hope to see lots of good breakdowns!

Oh I have a question...I understand that your standardized DAT scores are based off of percentiles. So you are pretty much compared to other students and that's how you get your score but how does that work exactly? Am I 'compared' to all the students that take the DAT this year? Or all the students that have taken the DAT ever or what? Hopefully it doesn't go. By month cause I've seen like 6 or 7 25+ geniuses in the last two weeks haha. Darn you and your high scores.
I used to think they already have a curve based on the difficulty of the exam (because you get your scores immediately when you are done) but I don't know. I am interested on this question too, hopefully someone who knows will read this and answer.

YES I found a frand! Haha, not sure man. The sections I am worrying the most are the PAT/RC. My average PAT bootcamp score was 19 with about three 20s through tests 1-9. I plan on doing a very light review of QR on Tuesday, then otherwise relaxing. What time are you taking your test? Mine is at 12:45 est.

RC is hard bc there really isnt a way to study for it, but have you figured out what strategy works best for you? Reading/ understanding the passage then do all questions or going straight to the answers and finding the questions (works best for me).

QR is the section that is kicking my buttttt! I am HORRIBLE at math. Granted, I havent given it as much attention to QR as I have the sciences , which I now regret :bang: do you have any fast-working tips? lol.

You're lucky to be relaxing, my TS BC & qVault (bio only) are all over the place so I dont have a solid feeling of where I stand :/

Mine is on the 23rd too... Idk how to feel or what to do these days lol..

I'm right there with ya

sigh I'm so depress right now because of RC section. I took 4 practice testd on bc, and i got one 16 and the other 3 below 15......English is my 2nd language so it is just so hard for me to overcome this barrier. :'(

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh what are you all feeling? I feel different things every couple of hours, nervous, anxious... I wish I had more time to study, perhaps a couple of weeks, but at the same time I want to be done with this SO BAD!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I am feeling like I am going to throw up, but want to get it over with at the same time... Lol. I keep reading that practice tests are a lot harder than the actual DAT, but I do not know if I believe that or not. Lol. I take my DAT in 39 hours! Scoring good on my second round of bootcamp tests, so hopefully (fingers crossed), I can score like that on the actual test day. I keep doubting myself, but all I can do is try! lol

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, and I dont know jack**** about plants except for photosynthesis and their cellular makeup... whoops

I am feeling like I am going to throw up, but want to get it over with at the same time... Lol. I keep reading that practice tests are a lot harder than the actual DAT, but I do not know if I believe that or not. Lol. I take my DAT in 39 hours! Scoring good on my second round of bootcamp tests, so hopefully (fingers crossed), I can score like that on the actual test day. I keep doubting myself, but all I can do is try! lol
You will be fine :) Good Luck on your test!!! People say bootcamp is harder than the real deal. I hope so!

But is it true?

Are the practice materials (bootcamp, CDP, destroyer )more difficult than the official DAT?

You'll do great! Have confidence and it will help you tremendously. Go into the test thinking you have done all you can do to prepare and now you just have to do your best!
Thank you!!! Keeping up the confidence is hard when you have no idea how the questions are going to be like or how those 4 hours will be like....I just hope everything goes fine so I can go see my family feeling happy and without "anything" to worry about.

Is Math destroyer harder than the real DAT? I hope so... I am getting around 20/40. Always running out of time. :S Any advice?? I am taking my DAT on the 23rd!

@Moshi123 : QR is a drag. That is my lowest as well. I scored a 23/40 today on bootcamp. My advice (I increased my score 2 points this way), is to skip anything you dont know how to do immediately. That way you can complete everything you do know how to do. And I have heard that it is similar to Math Destroyer, but easier.
@tooth knockn : when do you take your DAT?

@Moshi123 : QR is a drag. That is my lowest as well. I scored a 23/40 today on bootcamp. My advice (I increased my score 2 points this way), is to skip anything you dont know how to do immediately. That way you can complete everything you do know how to do. And I have heard that it is similar to Math Destroyer, but easier.

AUGUST. 13 !!!!

And I'm starting to feel the heat....

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck, man

We all will have to do what you will do, in less than 48hrs,
The DAT

Thanks for your advice! Have you tried Math Destroyer?

No sorry, I posted those scores, assuming I'll get those....

I wish I could help, sorry to waste your typing on me.

But still, good luck,

Like 70% of the breakdowns say that practice materials are a bit harder, I've been reading this site for like two years...

No sorry, I posted those scores, assuming I'll get those....

I wish I could help, sorry to waste your typing on me.

But still, good luck,

Like 70% of the breakdowns say that practice materials are a bit harder, I've been reading this site for like two years...
It will be fine, aim high, we are all on the same boat and we will get out of it safe.
Good luck for you too!!! I hope to hear good news on August.

@Moshi123 : yes i have the Math destroyer. And I went through test 1-8. I dont have time to finish the rest, I still have to finish all of my bootcamp science tests (which I feel are more important). Tomorrow is my last day of studying before taking the actual test so Im trying to brush up on the stuff I know I will do good at (hopefully)! lol

Not only do I hope I do well Tuesday so that I will have good scores to send out, I hope I do well so this wasnt a waste of 6 weeks of my time..... gahhh

Good that you did up to test 8 because two more tests after that destroyer gets insane, I dont think it is worth it.

and I agree, sleep early, don't study until late.

@Moshi123 : yes i have the Math destroyer. And I went through test 1-8. I dont have time to finish the rest, I still have to finish all of my bootcamp science tests (which I feel are more important). Tomorrow is my last day of studying before taking the actual test so Im trying to brush up on the stuff I know I will do good at (hopefully)! lol
Your DAT is on the 23rd, right? Right now I am planning on studying on the day before my DAT...
My test is at 3pm. I might have to get a heavy snack so I don't get hungry during the test. What time is yours?

No mine is on the 22nd at 1:15. I scheduled it later because I have to drive an hour to the testing center and didnt want anything to happen on the way there. Lol. Im sure I wont be able to eat before my test, so I will probably also bring a snack..

Prophase
Metaphase
Anaphase
Telophase

This is mitosis,

Welcome to the dungeon.

Nerd talk.....See, we will never be normal again. Good night everyone. I hope ya'll dream with the krebb Cycle and Photosynthesis
<3

I'm so glad this thread exists! It my new thing to do on my study breaks, it doesn't make me feel so alone :ninja:

Does anyone (taking the test soon) feel as if they are trying to do too much in too little time? I feel as if I want to look at everythingggg one last time, but its so much.. not enough hours in the day.. :help:

Reactions: 2 users
I'm so glad this thread exists! It my new thing to do on my study breaks, it doesn't make me feel so alone :ninja:

Does anyone (taking the test soon) feel as if they are trying to do too much in too little time? I feel as if I want to look at everythingggg one last time, but its so much.. not enough hours in the day.. :help:
Yup

one more question here. does anyone know if the DAT will give you the chemical equation or do you have to derive it from the problem? half of bootcamp is actually writing out the equation.

I have a question about tutorial before the test. You get 15 min of tutorial ? or 5 min? During that time I can write numbers or anything on the white board thingy, right?

I have a question about tutorial before the test. You get 15 min of tutorial ? or 5 min? During that time I can write numbers or anything on the white board thingy, right?
Just depends on your testing center and how many students are testing. The rules state that you are not allowed to write anything down during that time. But if they dont see you, then you are fine. Ive also seen where people will say that they were just doing the tutorial practice question...

The tutorial is indeed 15 minutes, and I've heard different things about people being allowed/not allowed to write anything down during the tutorial. I believe someone on SDN said that they wrote some equations down during the tutorial and their board got taken away, but others have said that they were allowed to do that

Taking the test in exactly one week... any suggestions for how to spend the last week? Suggestions for Bio are appreciated!!!

How are you feeling about everything? Besides freaking out haha. I feel fairly confident with the sciences but pretty shaky with the PAT
yeah I don't know I have horrible test anxiety so no matter how much I study I never feel ready. But I feel confident for most of the PAT, except for hole punching. I don't know why I just am not good at it. The tic-tac-toe method seems to screw me up even more and waste time than if I were to just visualize it. Biology... the more you study the less you know!! lol. There's too much and I don't want to study too in depth because there's no point in that. Timing is what's freaking me out the most honestly!

yeah I don't know I have horrible test anxiety so no matter how much I study I never feel ready. But I feel confident for most of the PAT, except for hole punching. I don't know why I just am not good at it. The tic-tac-toe method seems to screw me up even more and waste time than if I were to just visualize it. Biology... the more you study the less you know!! lol. There's too much and I don't want to study too in depth because there's no point in that. Timing is what's freaking me out the most honestly!
I can't concentrate just thinking about the exam and the timing*...

Last edited:
In 5 days. :wideyed: For the first round of Bootcamp I got 20 Bio, 22 Gchem, 17 Ochem. Obviously I need to work on organic but I'm confused with the other two! Are the first BC tests of each subject just way easier than the rest?

In 5 days. :wideyed: For the first round of Bootcamp I got 20 Bio, 22 Gchem, 17 Ochem. Obviously I need to work on organic but I'm confused with the other two! Are the first BC tests of each subject just way easier than the rest?
I thought the last exams of each section were pretty hard. I got scores of 19 for all of them but organic, which was like a 20.

BC 5 QR was exceptionally hard. OC was also sort of difficult. Haven't don't the other 4 sections yet and not really looking forward to it haha. BC 5 I got 20 for QR and 21 for OC.