Taking the NAVLE in an unusual situation, having passed before.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkenwulven

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I graduated vet school and passed the NAVLE in 2007, and became licensed in Illinois. It took me a few tries though. That was due to going to a foreign vet school which is AVMA accredited, but I was not adjusted to multiple choice questions and had to learn that skill. Due to a serious injury I became no longer able to practice (Protip, get that AVMA disability insurance, you never know when you'll need it!). I kept up my Continuing Ed hours and maintained my license in IL, although not being able to practice=not being able to work=not being able to afford to live there.

I had a surgery a few years ago with miraculous results, and believe I'm physically able to practice again. I had a long discussion with the Director of the Board of my current state of residence. They were very sympathetic, and told me I'd need to take the NAVLE again to get licensed here. Its been a long time out of school and I'm scared, but determined.

I signed up for Vetprep, and signed up for VINs NAVLE review. VetPrep was like a gift from God when I passed my boards but its been a long time and I don't even know if the NAVLE is the same beast. I'm getting shivers in learning that bacterium names I memorised are different now. I have Merck, I've done the sample questions on ICVA's site.

What other resources, particularly online ones, do you recommend? I spoke with a practicing veterinarian in my area and she said after getting my license, she'd give me some very heavy mentoring to get back to baseline, particularly in surgery which is my weak spot. But I need to pass the NAVLE again, a situation I never anticipated after 10 years out of school. I'll be grateful to hear of any other resources or other suggestions anyone has. I am having particular trouble with microscopy be it parasites or cytology, and neurological lesion localisation.

Members don't see this ad.

No advice, but congratulations on your health and physical improvements, and good luck on your testing. I'm sure it will go fine!

Reactions: 1 users
if you kept your license active in IL is there a reason you can't do reciprocity? Usually that just involves sending your original navle scores ( $80 or so to resend) and a copy of your current license? You still have to pay the new states application fees and possibly a state laws/ medical exam but I haven't heard of people having to retake navle just to change their state of licensure? Might be worth re reading your new states rules yourself-- maybe you got misinformation?

if you kept your license active in IL is there a reason you can't do reciprocity? Usually that just involves sending your original navle scores ( $80 or so to resend) and a copy of your current license? You still have to pay the new states application fees and possibly a state laws/ medical exam but I haven't heard of people having to retake navle just to change their state of licensure? Might be worth re reading your new states rules yourself-- maybe you got misinformation?

I know for sure California is a stickler about this. I was looking into it because multiple people have stated that if you ever think you might practice in California to just get licensed there right away so that you can avoid re-taking the NAVLE. That is the only state I am aware of that for sure requires a NAVLE re-take after so many years. I am sure that there are probably others.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know for sure California is a stickler about this. I was looking into it because multiple people have stated that if you ever think you might practice in California to just get licensed there right away so that you can avoid re-taking the NAVLE. That is the only state I am aware of that for sure requires a NAVLE re-take after so many years. I am sure that there are probably others.
Missouri is another one.

It doesn't make much sense to me to require the NAVLE again. Do they really think that the NAVLE is an real indicator of whether you can be a competent vet or not, especially after you have been working for 5+ years and have practical experience under your belt?

Wow, what a nightmare. I'd loathe having to study for that test again.

Unfortunately I don't have further recommendations on resources as I used all the ones you listed and was fine. The VIN course usually gives you some resources corresponding to the class topic to read online as well.

Yeah, there's a rule for my state of residence that if you haven't been in active practice 3 out of past five years, you have to retake the NAVLE

Wow, yeah, only 5 years? That would keep me away tbh. Can't imagine having to try and study for the NAVLE when I'm out in practice.

Hi,

I graduated vet school and passed the NAVLE in 2007, and became licensed in Illinois. It took me a few tries though. That was due to going to a foreign vet school which is AVMA accredited, but I was not adjusted to multiple choice questions and had to learn that skill. Due to a serious injury I became no longer able to practice (Protip, get that AVMA disability insurance, you never know when you'll need it!). I kept up my Continuing Ed hours and maintained my license in IL, although not being able to practice=not being able to work=not being able to afford to live there.

I had a surgery a few years ago with miraculous results, and believe I'm physically able to practice again. I had a long discussion with the Director of the Board of my current state of residence. They were very sympathetic, and told me I'd need to take the NAVLE again to get licensed here. Its been a long time out of school and I'm scared, but determined.

I signed up for Vetprep, and signed up for VINs NAVLE review. VetPrep was like a gift from God when I passed my boards but its been a long time and I don't even know if the NAVLE is the same beast. I'm getting shivers in learning that bacterium names I memorised are different now. I have Merck, I've done the sample questions on ICVA's site.

What other resources, particularly online ones, do you recommend? I spoke with a practicing veterinarian in my area and she said after getting my license, she'd give me some very heavy mentoring to get back to baseline, particularly in surgery which is my weak spot. But I need to pass the NAVLE again, a situation I never anticipated after 10 years out of school. I'll be grateful to hear of any other resources or other suggestions anyone has. I am having particular trouble with microscopy be it parasites or cytology, and neurological lesion localisation.

I'm glad your health is improved :) I'd recommend VetPrep (as you've done) and take the practice tests available! Then I'd take that vet up on her offer and just get back into things, seeing cases, working through them, etc.