Taking time off after first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anasocoria

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken a year off after first year and have any experiences to share about it? I am thinking of taking time off -- am worried if it will be hard to come back second year and survive not just the year, but taking boards as well after being gone for a whole year

Thanks in advance.

Ps. I did a search, promise...just didn't see much about what it was like to come back...or I am a search dumbo.

Members don't see this ad.

Gonna be rough to get started again and you'll be losing the "immersion" that probably helps you retain more in the long run and more importantly for the boards

Not a good idea if you are anticipating entering residency. ERAS asks if you took more than 4 years to complete medical school and why. If you have very good reason for doing this (consult with your Dean) such as personal illness or illness of a family member may be OK. Just be aware that taking more than 4 years to do medical school other than being in a dual degree program does carry some liability in terms of residency application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you have valid reason for time off.

are you able to financially support yourself during the time off? is your parents willing to pay for the living expense? If not, make sure you find a job with good income before you take the time off.

In the current economy, it can take at least 3-4 months, possibly much more, before you have a job offer. You will need to pay for your student loans (undergraduate, and M1) during your time off.

I have not begin my residency application, so I can't tell you how your time off will affect your competitiveness or credibility.

good luck making your decision.

Has anyone taken a year off after first year and have any experiences to share about it? I am thinking of taking time off -- am worried if it will be hard to come back second year and survive not just the year, but taking boards as well after being gone for a whole year

Thanks in advance.

Ps. I did a search, promise...just didn't see much about what it was like to come back...or I am a search dumbo.

Not a good idea if you are anticipating entering residency. ERAS asks if you took more than 4 years to complete medical school and why. If you have very good reason for doing this (consult with your Dean) such as personal illness or illness of a family member may be OK. Just be aware that taking more than 4 years to do medical school other than being in a dual degree program does carry some liability in terms of residency application.

I take Step One in a few weeks. If I do well on Step One, then I plan to take a year off (between 3rd and 4th year) to do research in the field that I want to enter, a competitive specialty. My assumption is that the research experience will make me a more competitive candidate for residency. Any problems with this scenario?

I take Step One in a few weeks. If I do well on Step One, then I plan to take a year off (between 3rd and 4th year) to do research in the field that I want to enter, a competitive specialty. My assumption is that the research experience will make me a more competitive candidate for residency. Any problems with this scenario?

yeah--it won't make you any more competive. Basically going to be just some cheap labor for some researcher