Target

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DonnaVersace

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Target is ever planning to change their computer system?

Members don't see this ad.

Who cares about the computer. I hear Target is an awsome company to work for. I wonder how long they plan to stay in the pharmacy business. There are not that many and they seem to be very low volume.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who cares about the computer. I hear Target is an awsome company to work for. I wonder how long they plan to stay in the pharmacy business. There are not that many and they seem to be very low volume.
If you look at their recruiting website, they talk about the shopping habits of their customers. People who get RXs filled at Target generally spend more money in the store.

The pharmacists are needed solely for that association.

is pdx hard to work with

i think that is what target uses

If you look at their recruiting website, they talk about the shopping habits of their customers. People who get RXs filled at Target generally spend more money in the store.

The pharmacists are needed solely for that association.

The same could be said of any store, (grocery, Wal-mart, K-mart ect.). The reason the pharmacy is there is to bring business into the store. However, they do not run as loss leaders. They fullly intend to make money off the pharmacy side. I wonder if Target is making money off their pharmacy.

I doubt that Target is making money off the pharmacy now. But I think that the service they provide, coupled with their ClearRx system will help differentiate them from their competition. I've recently changed all of our prescriptions for my family to Target and we have been extremely happy with the service we've received from them. Talking to a friend of mine whose baby was recently sick and placed on medication, the pharmacist called them the day after they picked up their prescriptions to ask if everything was going ok and if baby had any adverse reactions. I was impressed with that!

yeah, target is developing a system called redrock or redsomething. its going to be a windows based system. i dunno, the recruiters who were giving the presentation said they were investing like $100+ million into developing it.

This is true. I recently finished a rotation at a Target and the pharmacy manager told me that a new system is definitely in development.

They just did a major remodeling of the store closest to my house, and I found out this week that they added in a pharmacy, so if anything they are expanding their pharmacy business (at least in terms of total store count w/pharmacy).

Who cares if they'll stay in business or not...have you been to a Target near your house?? That's where all the good looking stay home moms shop!!! :love:

Heck, if all else fails..that's where I'll work.. i'll do it for the employee discount.

does anyone know how much target pays per hour????????
anybody?

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to work for Target as a tech. Not for me. Even though I switched to a different pharmacy for work, I still get my prescriptions filled at Target. The longest I've ever waited for a prescription was 15 minutes and I could talk to someone right when I get to the counter. The slowness of the store was a disadvantage to me as an employee, but as a customer I love it. :laugh:

A couple of things I didn't like about Target. Raises are performance-based and there is a lot of pressure numbers-wise- like you need to get a certain number of customers each month doing auto-refill and also those redcards. I hated asking customers if they wanted to sign up for a Target red card while also asking them if they had any questions on their rx. Just didn't seem right to throw in a pitch for a 20% APR credit card while you're talking to them about side effects and such. Also, the hours would go by soooo slowly! But, as you know, there are pluses and minuses with any company.

is pdx hard to work with

i think that is what target uses

I used pdx this summer on my EPPE, and it wasn't necessarily hard to use, it was just odd to get used to. It has all the little quirks that make it diffucult to use, especially if you have ever used another system *such as renlar*

Who cares if they'll stay in business or not...have you been to a Target near your house?? That's where all the good looking stay home moms shop!!! :love:

Heck, if all else fails..that's where I'll work.. i'll do it for the employee discount.

Yep, I am a fan of Target for this very reason. Someday I hope to work for Target. Problem is there are not enough of them and everyone wants to work there

Yep, I am a fan of Target for this very reason. Someday I hope to work for Target. Problem is there are not enough of them and everyone wants to work there

Really?? Every year they call me ... I got a call from them about 4 months ago. You want me to let you know next time they call?

I hated asking customers if they wanted to sign up for a Target red card while also asking them if they had any questions on their rx. Just didn't seem right to throw in a pitch for a 20% APR credit card while you're talking to them about side effects and such. Also, the hours would go by soooo slowly! But, as you know, there are pluses and minuses with any company.

What happens if you just ignore that rule and don't push the cards? I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that either.

Does anybody remember a previous post about Target where someone said that the pharmacists are responsible for keeping the OTC section faced and looking good? I think that was it... I know it was something that didn't seem much like the normal duties of a pharmacist.

Target currently uses PDX which has no technology "checks." There are no scanning of labels or bottles or anything. I feel that this is a HUGE disadvantage and know of pharmacists that have made misfills there several times while I was on my EPPE.

Other companies in my area that use PDX ( i think): Smiths (Kroger), Target, Vons (Safeway), Food 4 Less, ???? KMart????

I worked for Target as an intern during my last 3 years of pharmacy school.

Now, as a pharmacist in California, I work for a temp/relief agency and I put in a lot of hours at Target. One of the stores I worked at had ZERO staff RPh's - they had to completely rely on temps and occasional members of their own pharmacy float teams to come in and work. Having previously worked for Target as an intern, and having friends who are/were pharmacists for the company, I feel as though I can safely say they have issues when it comes to retaining pharmacists. One of the biggest problems was a change in pharmacy hours. Nationwide it is now 9-9 M-F and 9-6 on Sat and Sun. Yeah, it's not 24 hours, and there aren't drive thru's but this was a huge change from previous hours and it wasn't what their rph's bargained for. Also, most stores have only 2 Rph's that work 12 hour days and alternate weekends. If you are sick, or need a day off for whatever reason......good luck!!!! Then there is their sham of a lunch 1/2 hour. The scheduled time for lunch for the rph is 1:30 - 2:00 - all stores. If, however, a guest walks up at 1:20 and can't/won't wait until after 2:00 then the rx has to be filled. One thing leads to another and before you know it it is 1:50, or whatever, and you STILL have to be back by 2:00. No matter what - you cannot leave the store during your lunch break - it is mandatory that you stay on the premises.

As for volume - I suppose you can consider them to be low volume - especially if you compare them to a Walgreens - but that depends on whether or not you are okay with being the only rph on a 12 hour shift checking 150-200 rx's per day. That may not seem like a lot but when your eyeballs and brain are tired, and you don't have all of the cool technology helping you out, it's a grind.

As far as pay goes - well...can't help you there because I work for an agency but I would imagine it varies depending on where you are.

Hope that helps out somewhat.

Really?? Every year they call me ... I got a call from them about 4 months ago. You want me to let you know next time they call?

Not right now. Because of my relocation package I am locked in to my current company for two years. Someday I will acheive my dream of working for Target!!!!!

I worked for Target as an intern during my last 3 years of pharmacy school.

Now, as a pharmacist in California, I work for a temp/relief agency and I put in a lot of hours at Target. One of the stores I worked at had ZERO staff RPh's - they had to completely rely on temps and occasional members of their own pharmacy float teams to come in and work. Having previously worked for Target as an intern, and having friends who are/were pharmacists for the company, I feel as though I can safely say they have issues when it comes to retaining pharmacists. One of the biggest problems was a change in pharmacy hours. Nationwide it is now 9-9 M-F and 9-6 on Sat and Sun. Yeah, it's not 24 hours, and there aren't drive thru's but this was a huge change from previous hours and it wasn't what their rph's bargained for. Also, most stores have only 2 Rph's that work 12 hour days and alternate weekends. If you are sick, or need a day off for whatever reason......good luck!!!! Then there is their sham of a lunch 1/2 hour. The scheduled time for lunch for the rph is 1:30 - 2:00 - all stores. If, however, a guest walks up at 1:20 and can't/won't wait until after 2:00 then the rx has to be filled. One thing leads to another and before you know it it is 1:50, or whatever, and you STILL have to be back by 2:00. No matter what - you cannot leave the store during your lunch break - it is mandatory that you stay on the premises.

As for volume - I suppose you can consider them to be low volume - especially if you compare them to a Walgreens - but that depends on whether or not you are okay with being the only rph on a 12 hour shift checking 150-200 rx's per day. That may not seem like a lot but when your eyeballs and brain are tired, and you don't have all of the cool technology helping you out, it's a grind.

As far as pay goes - well...can't help you there because I work for an agency but I would imagine it varies depending on where you are.

Hope that helps out somewhat.

I guess I should research it some more. That sounds really crappy. Similar to the grocery store I work at now. We have to pull a 12 hour shift every other week and that sucks. Can't imagine having to do that all the time. I suppose the old saying holds true, retail pharmacy is retail pahrmacy no matter who you work for.

I did my community rotation with Target and I really enjoyed it there in general. They do have some neat programs there such as calling to check up on patients after they picked up an antibiotic like somebody else mentioned. I made those calls while I was on rotation and the people I called always sounded very grateful for the phone call. The prescription volume was also low enough that the pharmacist and I had lots of time to thoroughly counsel patients.

Like any other company, there are down sides as well....hard to find coverage when you need time off because there aren't many floaters in each district; standing for 12 hours would take a toll I would imagine; the PDX system is awfully archaic. I'm not sure if they have upgraded since my rotation in June of 2007, but when I was there at that time, we had to manually order everything because the system did not keep track of stock for us.

For the job fair, I talked with some of the Target recruiters. He said they tend to place new hires fairly fast, within a year normally.

Target pays competitivly to whatever the rate in your area is. I get paid 10.50 at CVS and I was at a target and was offered a match to that wage to come over.

What sux about target is they're all about to get neumatic tube drive-thrus. One of the pharmacist i work with has a sister who is a pharmacist at target and he said that she said they were going to install a dual drivethru on all the super-targets with camera/screen relays. Hers was in the process of being installed.

Finally, give or take a few percentiles (2-8) any given pharmacy makes about a 20% profit on scripts. My CVS currently makes a 27% profite per script and so since we're a slower store, we only do about 60 scripts on a sunday and that pays for all the bills and employees wages in the whole store including the pharmacist for that day. So for a target who does that each day, its more than enough to cover the staff and more.

I think the 12 hour shift is great. I would rather work 12 hours for 3 days a week than 8 hours for 5 days a week. :thumbup:

I think the 12 hour shift is great. I would rather work 12 hours for 3 days a week than 8 hours for 5 days a week. :thumbup:

My ideal schedule would be 4-10 hour days. Beyond that and my eyes would be too tired to be 100% focused at that point.