TAs in research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are the graduate students and TAs in research known to be a little rude? I’m working in a lab and feel a little patronized. I could just be super sensitive but I was wondering if that was known to happen. The TA I’m working with just seemed a little dry. Note, I am not complaining. I’m still working in the lab and doing research. Just wondering if this is common or this TA is just naturally like that.

Members don't see this ad.

Are the graduate students and TAs in research known to be a little rude? I’m working in a lab and feel a little patronized. I could just be super sensitive but I was wondering if that was known to happen. The TA I’m working with just seemed a little dry. Note, I am not complaining. I’m still working in the lab and doing research. Just wondering if this is common or this TA is just naturally like that.

TA's are people. People are all different. There are good TA's and bad TA's and TA's somewhere in between. There are big TA's and small TA's, nice TA's and mean TA's... You get the drift.

Reactions: 3 users
Going into a lab as "pre-med" paints a huge target on your back sometimes... I've been very fortunate in my most recent lab but in the previous ones... I was a ostracized (not sure if this is the right word) for being pre-med and working in the lab.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Going into a lab as "pre-med" paints a huge target on your back sometimes... I've been very fortunate in my most recent lab but in the previous ones... I was a ostracized (not sure if this is the right word) for being pre-med and working in the lab.
No that is probably the right word.

Being an obvious pre-med can make people not want to work with you in the lab, but all you can really do is work hard, remind them your scientific curiosity has other domains too (hopefully), and try not to step on toes or bring it up perhaps.

One grad student at my school was whining how he hadn’t seen a pre-med undergrad he worked with for 2 years in the lab since this undergrad got his MD acceptance. A gentle reminder that this grad student got in the lab initially also because he was pre-med helped put things in perspective a little.
Don’t let grad students act like they never considered other science professions - many of them applied and got nowhere (at least at my institution) or decided it wasn’t for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

It’s crazy. It’s like they think I’m only in there to get a publication and on my app. It isn’t true. I’m genuinely interested in the research and Chem research is stuff I’ve ALWAYS wanted to do

Being an obvious pre-med can make people not want to work with you in the lab, but all you can really do is work hard, remind them your scientific curiosity has other domains too (hopefully), and try not to step on toes or bring it up perhaps.

One grad student at my school was whining how he hadn’t seen a pre-med undergrad he worked with for 2 years in the lab since this undergrad got his MD acceptance. A gentle reminder that this grad student got in the lab initially was also because he was a pre-med.
Don’t let grad students act like they never considered other science professions - many of them applied and got nowhere (at least at my institution) or decided it wasn’t for them.

So true. I mean I’m fine with it but like? It couldn’t hurt to at least be a LITTLE respectful. No need to be a jerk all the time.

One grad student at my school was whining how he hadn’t seen a pre-med undergrad he worked with for 2 years in the lab since this undergrad got his MD acceptance. A gentle reminder that this grad student got in the lab initially also because he was pre-med helped put things in perspective a little.

the main issue with pre-med students is their inability/desire to actually further research. Many pre-meds came through my lab and there was only one pre-med student I ever had that was competent enough in lab to actually help me publish research.

I have definitely been screwed over by pre-med students that allot almost no hours to research but are suppose to be helping me with my research, even if they are doing mediocre tasks (like ensuring we have certain chemicals, able to clean up glassware, etc.).