Tattoos in medicine

Started by DJNYY
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mine would raise an eyebrow at most now. I just find them tacky. Like bad furniture - except you can't throw it away. I should actually be quiet about this topic as I'm seeing someone with one and he now likes to look around SDN.

Did you see the Drexel girl with the little EKG beat on her foot? That one is adorable.


ONE in a semi-non visible place, I don't have much issue with

Covered? Lots of piercings? Yeah, no.
 
YUP. That's exactly what I was thinking haha.

Oh, I don't intend to do anything tribal. I was thinking stuff with animals and ish, cause I'm a huge animal lover. 🙂

I've noticed that a lot of people hate on tribal tattoos. What's wrong with them?
 
Speaking of which- lol at the people covered in tattoos being scared of cute little me coming at them with a needle.

That's funny. Although i shouldn't talk because I hate IVs. The needle prick doesn't bother me in the slightest but the feeling of something going into my blood stream *shivers* grosses me out.
 
Oh, I don't intend to do anything tribal. I was thinking stuff with animals and ish, cause I'm a huge animal lover. 🙂

I've noticed that a lot of people hate on tribal tattoos. What's wrong with them?

It's just really overplayed imo.
 
ONE in a semi-non visible place, I don't have much issue with

Covered? Lots of piercings? Yeah, no.
Oh, you're very reasonable then. I don't like them at all. My nose did a bunny twitch when I saw it in passing.

I never even look long enough to know what anyone is tattooed with. It just looks like #$#^%*&* in picture form to me.
 
Oh, I don't intend to do anything tribal. I was thinking stuff with animals and ish, cause I'm a huge animal lover. 🙂

I've noticed that a lot of people hate on tribal tattoos. What's wrong with them?

I think people find it annoying to see someone with a tribal tattoo who doesn't belong to the "tribe" so to speak. I think people look at them as though they got the tattoo as a fashion accessory or something (i.e.: the lower back butterfly tattoos lol)
 
I think people find it annoying to see someone with a tribal tattoo who doesn't belong to the "tribe" so to speak. I think people look at them as though they got the tattoo as a fashion accessory or something (i.e.: the lower back butterfly tattoos lol)

I get that feeling when I see non natives with dreamcatcher tattoos. That and conceptually a dream catcher tattoo doesn't make sense to me. You want to trap your nightmares in your skin? No thanks.
 
I love tattoos....I've got far too many hours notched into my skin (although they are all covered). I'm with most of you though, corny and overdone tattoos like tribal crap is annoying. Most tattoo artists won't tell you this but they find it just as annoying to do.

Just started a leg sleeve a couple of days ago myself. OP, I would make sure your tattoos are mostly concealable in a professional setting. I love tattoos but I'm not naive enough to think everybody would treat me the same if you could see all of mine....that bias is still there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not a lot of times you're going to be shirtless while practising medicine, so as long as its not offensive and could get you in trouble if someone saw it at the beach and recognize you, it probably won't be much of an issue if it can't be seen wearing scrubs or shirt and tie etc.
at the same time scrubs are pretty revealing
 
I think it would be badass to get a tattoo. I would get some on my pectoralis major or my deltoids, area where they could be easily covered by scrubs.

Unfortunately, I approached the topic obliquely with my parents (I pointed out a tattooed guy on the street and asked what they thought of his tattoos). They reacted surprisingly violently, and started raging about how they think that "only weirdos and insecure people get tattoos."

Well, there goes that idea. I was surprised with how angry they got, but I guess some patients will react that angrily too. Better not to make it an issue I guess.
your parents really do know you
 
at the same time scrubs are pretty revealing

Not gonna lie, there was a girl in my class who apparently would show off her "sideboob" (not sure what that means, but it's a term that some other students used) while wearing scrubs during Gross Anatomy. Last I hear she got in trouble with the Dean.
 
Not gonna lie, there was a girl in my class who apparently would show off her "sideboob" (not sure what that means, but it's a term that some other students used) while wearing scrubs during Gross Anatomy. Last I hear she got in trouble with the Dean.

So I'm trying to picture this because I am a warm-blooded heterosexual male ... was she showing her side-boob through rather large sleeves?
 
Not gonna lie, there was a girl in my class who apparently would show off her "sideboob" (not sure what that means, but it's a term that some other students used) while wearing scrubs during Gross Anatomy. Last I hear she got in trouble with the Dean.

Sideboob= the side of ur boob.

Unless she cut the sleeves off her scrubs I'm not really seeing how this is possible.
 
Sideboob= the side of ur boob.

Unless she cut the sleeves off her scrubs I'm not really seeing how this is possible.

The woman in question was a little blonde girl with very short, poorly fitting scrub sleeves.

Now that I know what a "sideboob" is, that does seem unlikely. Do you think the two women who complained to me about her were jealous of her beauty?
 
The woman in question was a little blonde girl with very short, poorly fitting scrub sleeves.

Now that I know what a "sideboob" is, that does seem unlikely. Do you think the two women who complained to me about her were jealous of her beauty?

Sometimes I don't even think you can be a real person... Like no one in this day and age can be this naive, can they?

Also scrubs with a very low V neck sounds way more likely than large sleeves.
 
Sometimes I don't even think you can be a real person... Like no one in this day and age can be this naive, can they?

Also scrubs with a very low V neck sounds way more likely than large sleeves.


I do this sometimes. an oversized v neck t shirt and scrub pants. But I have a white coat or surgical gown on over it..and I do my hair and makeup so no one would ever know I was wearing glorified pajamas.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i don't want a tat because there is nothing that i would want to put on my body for my entire life

here are some reasons to get a tat:

if you are a boring person, getting a cute and ironic tat is one way to start or keep a conversation.
if you lack the strength to rebel against your parents, a tat is a passive-aggressive way to do that.
if you want to fit in with some subcultures, a sleeve would help you with that.

or you could do the alternative and become an interesting person instead of watching 16 and pregnant or grow a pair of balls and tell your parents the truth or have the mental strength to resist peer pressure
 
We're not talking about the implants. My comment was about the medical tattoo artist for the re-creation of the nipple areolar complex. The implants are covered under the Women's Health Act of 1998; the tattooing is not always a covered benefit, depends on the policy. Sometimes the issue is that the artist don't take insurance so even if you have coverage you end up paying out of pocket and trying to recoup monies from your carrier.

Right. I was just remarking at the jagged line drawn between what's covered and not covered as you mentioned. It's just funny imo


and the side boob remark: there are a lot of different cuts and sizes of shirts. And I can definitely see where sideboob can happen: which is why women wear shirts underneath their scrubs.
It's like how they have different 'cuts'for the neck. But I've actually seen guys like it more than girls.
 
i don't want a tat because there is nothing that i would want to put on my body for my entire life

here are some reasons to get a tat:

if you are a boring person, getting a cute and ironic tat is one way to start or keep a conversation.
if you lack the strength to rebel against your parents, a tat is a passive-aggressive way to do that.
if you want to fit in with some subcultures, a sleeve would help you with that.

or you could do the alternative and become an interesting person instead of watching 16 and pregnant or grow a pair of balls and tell your parents the truth or have the mental strength to resist peer pressure
why does it feel icky to agree with you about anything?
 
i don't want a tat because there is nothing that i would want to put on my body for my entire life

here are some reasons to get a tat:

if you are a boring person, getting a cute and ironic tat is one way to start or keep a conversation.
if you lack the strength to rebel against your parents, a tat is a passive-aggressive way to do that.
if you want to fit in with some subcultures, a sleeve would help you with that.

or you could do the alternative and become an interesting person instead of watching 16 and pregnant or grow a pair of balls and tell your parents the truth or have the mental strength to resist peer pressure

Somebody drank too much haterade this morning.
 
He's obsessed with med school and everything medicine related. I don't know why.
Your dad isn't weird. I wish my parents would do that. I tried to get my mother to listen to how blood clots one day and she was half asleep by the time I said "vitamin K in the liver...".

On the otherhand...the person I'm...about to...disengage from romantically has begun making visits to SDN. My bad. Wouldn't it be funny if he saw this post? Ouch.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i don't want a tat because there is nothing that i would want to put on my body for my entire life

here are some reasons to get a tat:

if you are a boring person, getting a cute and ironic tat is one way to start or keep a conversation.
if you lack the strength to rebel against your parents, a tat is a passive-aggressive way to do that.
if you want to fit in with some subcultures, a sleeve would help you with that.

or you could do the alternative and become an interesting person instead of watching 16 and pregnant or grow a pair of balls and tell your parents the truth or have the mental strength to resist peer pressure

You're complaining about tattoos when your avatar is a picture of Zyzz?
 
You're complaining about tattoos when your avatar is a picture of Zyzz?

RIP we're all gonna make it brah

i'm not complaining about tats. it's your body. feel free to get a tat brah. would be a great icebreaker for you and you can rebel against your parents.

my buddy Billy has an arm sleeve of dinosaurs and hearts and it helps him get underage girls all the time!