TBR....Did I make the biggest mistake of my life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laxgirl06

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, hope your MCAT studying is going ....swell.:p I'm in need of some advice, especially from people who have used/are using TBR prep materials. I'm studying at home and have been using flashcards to do content review. Unfortunately, I already have 300+ Anki flashcards for the FIRST BIO CHAPTER alone... I don't see this method working for me long-term. Although flashcarding has proven to be extremely effective for me, I don't think the volume of cards I'm making per chapter will be sustainable long-term. Any ideas? Someone advised me that I'm focusing too much on details, but I informed them that I don't have a strong science foundation/have a goal score of 520+. I love TBR books, but I need a way to effectively use them... I get scared that something I don't put on a flashcard will be on the MCAT, so I end up making so many! But this puts the info in "discrete" facts, rather than interrelated concepts. What do I do to change my study strategy and use TBR books to get a great score!?

Members don't see this ad.

You probably are focusing on the specifics that are more than likely not going to be on the exam. I would suggest reviewing the higher yield information that are more likely to be on the exam (ex. metabolism, BP regulation, etc.) and understand that there are going to be questions on the exam that you don't know.

I can't recommend much regarding your study strategy, especially since you know that flashcards work well with you, but I can suggest diagraming, reviewing content and making flash cards based on what you missed rather than what you already know.

Reactions: 1 user
You probably are focusing on the specifics that are more than likely not going to be on the exam. I would suggest reviewing the higher yield information that are more likely to be on the exam (ex. metabolism, BP regulation, etc.) and understand that there are going to be questions on the exam that you don't know.

I can't recommend much regarding your study strategy, especially since you know that flashcards work well with you, but I can suggest diagraming, reviewing content and making flash cards based on what you missed rather than what you already know.
Hi, I probably am! How can I know if it is high yield? I have forgotten quite a lot, tbh. That's why I'm scared. And congrats on Baylor...it's one of my dream schools!

Hi, I probably am! How can I know if it is high yield? I have forgotten quite a lot, tbh. That's why I'm scared. And congrats on Baylor...it's one of my dream schools!

I would just do a quick search on this forum and or on a search engine for the highest yield concepts, but from what I can remember...

Physics: kinematics, energy, fluids, circuits, and magnetism.
Chemistry: Acids/Bases, periodic trends, kinetics and equilibrium, phases, and bonding.
Biology: metabolism, amino acids, body systems, and hormones.
Organic chemistry: laboratory techniques and (some/amino acid biosynthesis) reactions (can't recall which).
Psych/Soc: just a lot of terms, anki would be good for these.

And thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're making too many flashcards for sure. I only made cards for amino acids, nucleotides, physics equations, and a few P/S vocab words.

Reactions: 1 users
In fact, I always think using flashcards sucks. Flashcards help you to memorize contents, but the science is a subject requiring you to understand.
The important thing is to know how to relate concepts to each other; however, flashcards barely have such power, especially for those that are commercial available.

Reactions: 1 user
In fact, I always think using flashcards sucks. Flashcards help you to memorize contents, but the science is a subject requiring you to understand.
The important thing is to know how to relate concepts to each other; however, flashcards barely have such power, especially for those that are commercial available.
I understand what you are saying, but flashcards work well for me personally. I just found a thread on the "three pass approach" and plan to use it in combination with Anki flashcards. Thank you for your input!

No, I had recently taken anatomy, but had to study everything else.
Keep in mind that with few exceptions (amino acids...) the knowledge level you need for the MCAT is much more superficial than what you need for a typical intro-level university course.