TCOM vs MSU COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DallasPreMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's finally that time and I am pulling my hair out trying to make this massive life decision. I have received an acceptance into TCOM and MSU, and I would like to hear any input y'all may have on the two schools. My biggest hesitation is that I haven't seen MSU since they don't interview, so I have no idea what to think about MSU regarding the "environment" and "feeling" aspect, whereas I do for TCOM. I am going to do the Navy HPSP, so tuition at this point is irrelevant for me.

Here is what I know so far. Michigan State COM has a great reputation according to certain rankings. Both TCOM and MSUCOM are old, and therefore, are well-established in terms of rotations etc. I am from Texas and I love the Fort Worth area. I have never been to East Lansing, so I don't know what to expect as far as the city goes. I know the DFW metroplex is a hub for terrific medicine, so rotations in 3rd/4th year will take place in a great learning environment. I don't know what 3rd/4th year rotations would be like at MSUCOM. The students at TCOM were so friendly, down-to-earth, and focused on collaborative learning. Again, because I didn't interview at MSU, I don't know what the student environment is like.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have zero experience with MSU-COM. That said, since you're from Texas, I would not choose this time to be so far removed from family and friends. These are two well-respected schools, so you really can't go wrong. You're in a positition many would be jealous of.

Just an FYI, MSUCOM has an 80k a year out of state tuition. TCOM is what, 15k? Money shouldn't be an object but keep in mind the difference, although I think scholarships are available for OOS matriculates at MSUCOM. When you're accepted to MSUCOM, you have a tour date that you can schedule. Check out the school and see if you like it enough to stomach the tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stick with what you know. Go to TCOM. I wouldn't take a gamble in which you could wind up being miserable if it turns out you didn't like living in Michigan. You know what's good about TCOM. Go there.

TCOM is the financially better choice for non-military folks. Since you have the Navy HPSP, your options are wide-open. I always recommend praying when a big decision needs to be made. In the event you do not choose TCOM, I want your spot. :naughty:

Tcom.

It doesn't really matter where you go since you'll likely be doing a military residency.

Can't go wrong with either. Strong clinical years for both, so go with what area you are more comfortable with.

You are in a unique situation being a tx resident. Tuition will be so cheap are you sure you want to do hpsp?

If i were you i would just take out loans and see how you feel in 4 years. Do the residency of your choice and then if you still want to do millitary they have like 200,000 loan repayment i believe. It will be easier on you since you won't have to travel every summer for training, and your not locked into anything. Just my rant :p
Definitely go tcom tho!