Teaching before Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappyPerson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

So I recently graduated with a bachelors in biological science, 3.47 gpa, Mcat 512. State of residence Michigan.

I have 1 year of ER scribing, 1 year of primary care medical assistant, 100 hours hospital volunteer, volunteering at local religious institute for past 5 years, alongside some other stuff.

My question is, I got offered a science teacher position at an underprivileged highschool and I'm going to start teaching this Fall, the reason I accepted is because my mission in life is to try to make a change in the underprivileged community, and I think that me working with students that live an underprivileged life will maybe make an impact in their lives.

Does this sound like something medical schools look up to? Is teaching a good thing to do before med school? Please advise if I made the right choice. I was going to apply this cycle but I thought a gap year would be better.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

So I recently graduated with a bachelors in biological science, 3.47 gpa, Mcat 512. State of residence Michigan.

I have 1 year of ER scribing, 1 year of primary care medical assistant, 100 hours hospital volunteer, volunteering at local religious institute for past 5 years, alongside some other stuff.

My question is, I got offered a science teacher position at an underprivileged highschool and I'm going to start teaching this Fall, the reason I accepted is because my mission in life is to try to make a change in the underprivileged community, and I think that me working with students that live an underprivileged life will maybe make an impact in their lives.

Does this sound like something medical schools look up to? Is teaching a good thing to do before med school?
Yes

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not an adcom but I have been a teacher the past 2 years in a Title 1 school (nearly 100% free lunch) and I think it's an excellent idea- just make sure you know exactly what you are getting into and that you like kids and have the patience to deal with them :) your mission sounds great and I truly believe you can make a very positive impact as a teacher.. I would just make sure you have a community to support you (teaching is tough) and that you try to find a mentor at the school to help you with behavior management and planning, which can be a bit overwhelming in the beginning.

I will say (even though my mom was a teacher!) that I vastly underestimated the amount of work that teaching involves. It will take a toll on you mentally and physically, especially the first year when you're lesson planning, figuring out how to manage a class, stressing that you're not teaching well enough/doing enough for your students, trying to find a work/life balance, etc. That being said, I truly LOVE my job and it has been the most rewarding thing I have ever done. I am talking a lot about it in my application and how it has shaped my perspective/ how the experience will help me become a better physician. You will definitely learn and grow a ton from both the failures and successes :) feel free to send me a message if you have any questions! Good luck!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do it!!!!!! I taught 2 years at a Title 1 school and I am constantly asked about it. I’m a current M3, and have been told by almost every physician that has seen me interview a patient that I interview more like an attending than a medical student, and they frequently say they think my teaching experience is the reason. I’ve opened many doors in medical school because of my teaching history.

Not to mention that having the opportunity to see that side of society is priceless, especially in a low income area. You’ll have a better understanding of your patient population and be a more rounded healthcare provider. You’ll also be a more informed voter.

It’s an amazing experience and worth every second.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello!

Does this sound like something medical schools look up to? Is teaching a good thing to do before med school? Please advise if I made the right choice. I was going to apply this cycle but I thought a gap year would be better.
You made a good choice. A demonstration that you can convey information in a way that is retained is valued in med school candidates, as that's what docs have to do all day with patients and/or colleagues.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a double major in college.
I was going to teach high school chemistry and coach basketball if medical school didnt work out. I substituted at my rural high school.and middle school over summer break before med school and after 1st yr. Its why I have been involved in some aspect of medical education pretty much my entire career. I would view your experience quite favorably if I was reviewing your app. Title 1 will be challenging and at times will drain your soul. Wouldn't it be great if you could inspire a couple of your students to pursue medicine? Good luck and best wishes!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I'm not an adcom but I have been a teacher the past 2 years in a Title 1 school (nearly 100% free lunch) and I think it's an excellent idea- just make sure you know exactly what you are getting into and that you like kids and have the patience to deal with them :) your mission sounds great and I truly believe you can make a very positive impact as a teacher.. I would just make sure you have a community to support you (teaching is tough) and that you try to find a mentor at the school to help you with behavior management and planning, which can be a bit overwhelming in the beginning.

I will say (even though my mom was a teacher!) that I vastly underestimated the amount of work that teaching involves. It will take a toll on you mentally and physically, especially the first year when you're lesson planning, figuring out how to manage a class, stressing that you're not teaching well enough/doing enough for your students, trying to find a work/life balance, etc. That being said, I truly LOVE my job and it has been the most rewarding thing I have ever done. I am talking a lot about it in my application and how it has shaped my perspective/ how the experience will help me become a better physician. You will definitely learn and grow a ton from both the failures and successes :) feel free to send me a message if you have any questions! Good luck!!
Thank you so much! I will definitely reach out if I need help. I feel much better accepting the position and I hope I can be a good educator to my students.