teaching kids how to brush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marymatthews

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to start a program where I can go around to elementary school classrooms and give presentations on how to brush correctly and the importance of brushing/flossing/visiting your dentist/etc.
Basically, set up assemblies at different schools near my town and give out tooth brushes, floss, paste, at the end of the presentation
Has anyone ever done something like this who can give me advice on how to start this project and what to do exactly? Where can i find more information on what to do?
For example, can I have the toothbrushes donated by a dentist? How do I get in contact with schools, etc.....
I know that some pre-dental clubs at colleges do this, however, I am not in college anymore.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you would want to start by working with a dentist and getting the proper training to teach kids how to brush/floss.

i'm doing that right now actually, started up that program w/ a couple friends. we use the adea program, altered it a little bit, and go into schools with a nurse and a dentist, and give 4 different fun presentations to the kids (give them prizes, make them go to different places in the room, etc.). The cool part about this is that our dentist brings a camera and a special type of uv light i believe, gives them this chewing tablet that highlights the plaque in their mouth (which is what the uv light shows) and he takes pictures of their teeth. we then come in periodically to take more pictures with the light/chewing tablet to see if their oral healthcare has improved, hoping that our presentations made a difference and that one day the elementary schools implement our curriculum into their class! Its fun and hopefully will be a big help in the community, so I highly advize you to go ahead and do your thing!

I want to start a program where I can go around to elementary school classrooms and give presentations on how to brush correctly and the importance of brushing/flossing/visiting your dentist/etc.
Basically, set up assemblies at different schools near my town and give out tooth brushes, floss, paste, at the end of the presentation
Has anyone ever done something like this who can give me advice on how to start this project and what to do exactly? Where can i find more information on what to do?
For example, can I have the toothbrushes donated by a dentist? How do I get in contact with schools, etc.....
I know that some pre-dental clubs at colleges do this, however, I am not in college anymore.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have worked with a dentist and I know the proper procedure for brushing and flossing, thanks
Does this presentation have to be with a dentist? Can I do it myself with a few friends?
What is the best way of getting started with this? What should I do during the presentation?
Thanks

I would contact the schools where you might be interested in doing this, as many schools already have these programs and can provide you with contacts. Also, remember to tell the kids not to eat the toothpaste - me and my friends did that back in 2nd grade.

For donations you should ask the dental supply reps... patterson, henry schein, pearson, etc. They might be able to donate enough of a quantity that you'll have enough for all the kids. If you plan on using disclosing tablets (DON'T use solution) be careful because it stains clothes and parents won't be happy about that.

I hope you have a team of people helping out. This is hard to do solo.