Other OT-Related Information Teaching to Occupational Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplegold86

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was anyone who was a former teacher (special ed in particular) who was successfully admitted into an ot program. Do they take having a full time job into consideration? I am seeing people with 100+ hours when I only have 40 but in my field of work, I communicate with the OT consistently and work with children with disabilities. I am already crazy busy trying to complete my pre-reqs and working a full time job so I am not able to complete more hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! I am a former high school special ed teacher turned OT. I wouldn't fret too much over observation hours as long as you hit the requirements. I had a lot of hours but they were almost all in a school setting. I would definitely recommend highlighting your experience as a teacher, specifically skills you've acquired or honed that will help you be a successful OT and stand out from the crowd of applicants. For example, you mentioned collaboration. This is such a big part of what we do as therapists and what you'll practice as an OT student. Sped teachers also spend a lot of time writing goals, documenting, and educating/training family members, all huge aspects of OT. Similarly, you should be able to clearly articulate why teaching wasn't for you and how OT is a better fit. Good luck! Teaching was very tough to give up (mostly for the vacation), but it was easily the best decision I ever made. :)

Hi there! I am a former high school special ed teacher turned OT. I wouldn't fret too much over observation hours as long as you hit the requirements. I had a lot of hours but they were almost all in a school setting. I would definitely recommend highlighting your experience as a teacher, specifically skills you've acquired or honed that will help you be a successful OT and stand out from the crowd of applicants. For example, you mentioned collaboration. This is such a big part of what we do as therapists and what you'll practice as an OT student. Sped teachers also spend a lot of time writing goals, documenting, and educating/training family members, all huge aspects of OT. Similarly, you should be able to clearly articulate why teaching wasn't for you and how OT is a better fit. Good luck! Teaching was very tough to give up (mostly for the vacation), but it was easily the best decision I ever made. :)

Thank you so much! I made sure I highlighted the points that you mentioned in my personal statement for OTCAS. It is really hard giving up teaching because I love my students but as you can understand, I need to make the change. Which school did you get accepted into?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if there was anyone who was a former teacher (special ed in particular) who was successfully admitted into an ot program. Do they take having a full time job into consideration? I am seeing people with 100+ hours when I only have 40 but in my field of work, I communicate with the OT consistently and work with children with disabilities. I am already crazy busy trying to complete my pre-reqs and working a full time job so I am not able to complete more hours.

I'm not a teacher, but I'm a regular ol' admin assistant in oil & gas. I have no background in healthcare and have only 40 observation hours. I was accepted my first attempt, so I'm sure there's programs that take your schedule into consideration.

I'm not a teacher, but I'm a regular ol' admin assistant in oil & gas. I have no background in healthcare and have only 40 observation hours. I was accepted my first attempt, so I'm sure there's programs that take your schedule into consideration.

That gives me hope thank you! Which school did you get accepted into?

That gives me hope thank you! Which school did you get accepted into?

Texas Tech so far. :) I'm waiting to hear from my first choice. I think I should hear something in 1-2 weeks.

Thank you so much! I made sure I highlighted the points that you mentioned in my personal statement for OTCAS. It is really hard giving up teaching because I love my students but as you can understand, I need to make the change. Which school did you get accepted into?

UIC and Rush in Chicago!

Reactions: 1 user