Tech geek here, do i want this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

someoneouthere

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster here. I love how responsive and well spoken this community is, some of the best stuff ok the internet.

I've got very little of a story, fresh-faced 23 year old, BFA from a less than special school, 3.7 gpa with honors but no hard sciences. Taught myself computer programming post grad, now working in tech as a full stack dev making boat loads of money and feeling totally unfulfilled :/ Virtually no clinical experience aside from shadowing a cardiologist years ago, working on getting my EMT and doing some volunteer work for fun.

I've always had an interest in science and medicine, but I avoided hard classes / med school due to fear of failure, a warped sense of self, and pressure to get earning quickly.

I'm not particularly interested in prestige or wealth. (I'd make more money in software anyway. :p) and I am considering other professions in the medical field, nursing, PA, etc. I am thinking about pursuing an MD because I have the desire to make a difference, and a fascination with the application of science to the betterment of human health.

So i'm at a crossroads, how do I break into this world of medicine? How do I figure out if its for me? How do i know how badly I want this? Do start the journey, or do I live with the regret of never giving it a chance?

Any criticism / advice from all of you incredibly smart and compassionate people on SDN is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster here. I love how responsive and well spoken this community is, some of the best stuff ok the internet.

I've got very little of a story, fresh-faced 23 year old, BFA from a less than special school, 3.7 gpa with honors but no hard sciences. Taught myself computer programming post grad, now working in tech as a full stack dev making boat loads of money and feeling totally unfulfilled :/ Virtually no clinical experience aside from shadowing a cardiologist years ago, working on getting my EMT and doing some volunteer work for fun.

I've always had an interest in science and medicine, but I avoided hard classes / med school due to fear of failure, a warped sense of self, and pressure to get earning quickly.

I'm not particularly interested in prestige or wealth. (I'd make more money in software anyway. :p) and I am considering other professions in the medical field, nursing, PA, etc. I am thinking about pursuing an MD because I have the desire to make a difference, and a fascination with the application of science to the betterment of human health.

So i'm at a crossroads, how do I break into this world of medicine? How do I figure out if its for me? How do i know how badly I want this? Do start the journey, or do I live with the regret of never giving it a chance?

Any criticism / advice from all of you incredibly smart and compassionate people on SDN is much appreciated.

Shadow a physician in a specialty you think you might be interested in, then decide.

Reactions: 1 user
Shadow and volunteer professionals. Submerse yourself in the field.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to get clinical experience to decide if you really want to do it. I'm leaving tech after 2 decades in the field but I was in the medical field before so I have something to compare it to. You need to be able to compare the two in order to decide if it's right for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Start volunteering with patients. It's all about them.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.