Tell the Story of Your Handle/Avatar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Not A Troll

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just always wondered what the backstory is behind people's avatar or SDN handle. Like how did LizzyM choose that name? Is that really mimelim in his picture? What does Ismet mean? Is WedgeDogg's name a golf reference?

So here is your chance for anyone who's ever wanted to explain their SDN handle!

Personally, I chose "Not A Troll" because I've been lurking this site for years, seen many trolls, and wanted to assure the good people of SDN that I do not partake in such frivolous activities.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Bluto is buff as ****. He plows chicks.
I'm buff as ****. I plow chicks.

Reactions: 7 users
I am a fan of the Flash and all things DC.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My koala is from Koala's March cookies. I fell in love with them when I went to Japan earlier this year. YUM. :hungry:

My dad was a trauma surgeon at a big county hospital in the NYC in the 1980's. His team used to refer to themselves as "The Knife and Gun Club" because basically all they did was treat stab wounds and gunshot victims. Some of the guys even have these badass tattoos of a knife and switchblade on their bicep, which is where I got the idea.

I was thinking of making this same thread :p

"J" is a letter in my name and I am decently ranked in Aikido, hence the "Senpai".

I like gryphons, and the one in my avatar is particularly cool, I think.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm a huge fan of The Sopranos and when I googled photos of Tony Soprano, this one was the perfect fit.

My dad was a trauma surgeon at a big county hospital in the NYC in the 1980's. His team used to refer to themselves as "The Knife and Gun Club" because basically all they did was treat stab wounds and gunshot victims. Some of the guys even have these badass tattoos of a knife and switchblade on their bicep, which is where I got the idea.
that's a cool story, but did you change your name for the sake of the thread?

Reactions: 1 user
Personally, I chose "Not A Troll" because I've been lurking this site for years, seen many trolls, and wanted to assure the good people of SDN that I do not partake in such frivolous activities.

You've done well :p

My handle: Named after Manchester rock band "Nine Black Alps" which I am not even particularly a fan of I just thought that their name sounded cool when I was 15 and created the "tenblackalps" name for use on various internet forums

My avatar: Just an awesome picture of the GOAT, Roger Federer, looking like Michael Jordan in the '88 slam dunk contest!

that's a cool story, but did you change your name for the sake of the thread?

Ive actually been wanting to do it for a while. I made my SDN account without realizing that your handle could be different from your email address, and goldy490 is just the name I picked for my email account while in highschool.

I've always been a Knife & Gun Club on the inside ;)

You've done well :p

My handle: Named after Manchester rock band "Nine Black Alps" which I am not even particularly a fan of I just thought that their name sounded cool when I was 15 and created the "tenblackalps" name for use on various internet forums

My avatar: Just an awesome picture of the GOAT, Roger Federer, looking like Michael Jordan in the '88 slam dunk contest!

Yours is actually one of the handles I've always been super confused by!

My handle is from Terminator 2: Judgment Day

My avatar is River Tam from Firefly/Serenity

Yes, I really am an incestuous lunatic who would like nothing better than to see her dwarf younger brother's head on a stick.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was just watching one of the Parks and Rec episodes (with the Native American Chief saying white people are afraid of curses) and my husband and I were talking about what we'd name ourselves if we were Native American and I chose doctor swims with fish. When signing up for SDN weeks later, that fake indian name came to mind and then I googled doctor fish and here we are... that actually was a much crappier story than I thought it'd be.

? Doesn't everybody just put their first and last name as their handle?

Reactions: 33 users
Aside from my native language I can speak 3 others and read/write 2. My foreign language skills are conversational at best but I pride myself in being able to communicate with speakers of these languages even if just a little.

My avatar is because I think it's cute.

Name: In high school for Halloween we did a zombie horror story blog thing. It was a complete failure and I hated it, but my character's name was Dante and he turned into a zombie pretty early on and I think became king of the zombies or something. This was going on while I made my account.

Picture: That's Trey from Yugioh Zexel! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Trey! He is the best!

I originally intended this to be a burner account to discuss a specific issue (that I ultimately decided not to discuss) so I put no thought into it. It is however a loose reference to where I went to med school.

My avatars are intermittently updated rotating nonsense.

I'm actually an undead pirate that has gone by Mad Jack since about 1685 or so. Spent the years since my untimely death studying for the MCAT in Davey Jones' locker.

Really though, Mad Jack is a historical name that has been carried by a lot of the most interesting and insane men in history. I'm kind of crazy, and my alias under which I cause trouble has been Jack (redacted) since I was about 18 or so, named after a the I Am Jack's poems in Fight Club because we were fresh out of the 90s and it seemed like a good idea. Every username I've ever had has "Jack" in it somewhere, so for this iteration I picked Mad Jack as a nod to the best Jacks in history.

The avatar? Total accident. Found it one day and just decided I liked it, have never changed it since. Every time I have changed it for WW games or whatever I get a lot of "WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MJ?!" so I think it's just best to leave it be.

Reactions: 6 users
I just use my real name. Either that, or I just enjoy bad puns.

The other name I considered was Billy Rubin, but I was worried people would think I was yellow.

Okay, I'll see myself out now.

Reactions: 8 users
It was my nickname growing up (based on my last name), and I really like Star Trek

Reactions: 1 users
i was kinda desperate to get into med school. soon i will be kinda desperate to survive med school. then i will be kinda desperate to survive residency and pay off 200k of debt.

i also like cartoons intended for small children, hence the gravity falls avatar

My names based on two of my favorite indie/folk rock frontmen. 10 points for you if you can guess who they are :horns:

My name has Star Wars origins
9ecabab57dbdaf6c00c3e9dd48b5f061.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Penguin avatar was a fad on SDN 2014-2015 and may have brought lots of luck to those who sported it. Love penguins and my favorite bird in tuxedo is Opus (now defunct Bloom County series by Berkeley Breathed)

I like Celebi. Who doesnt like Celebi.
I have a drawer with everything Celebi. Literaly every card made in japanese, english. Every promo. Every item. Even crazy collectibles rare collectibles.

Something about the Spirit of the Forest bodes well with me. And also how cute !!

Celebi-celebi-11050291-2560-2260.jpg

I find Zooey Deschanel annoying. Does that appropriately cover both?

200 points for you! Couldn't have thought of a better way to answer the question :claps:

And I swear that connection's a coincidence. She annoys me a lot now too haha

Ben Gibbard and...?

M. Ward (solo artist and the Him in She&Him) :thumbup:

My name comes from Fraggle Rock.

This 10 second clip explains everything:

Click here (warning: contains profanity, mute if you are in a public place)

Avatar is from a website I stumbled upon with funny "literal" animations of phrases and since I like to bowl I found it appropriate.

Handle loosely refers to a favorite sports team of mine

Scarlet Spider is one of my favorite Marvel characters.

I have to return some video tapes

Reactions: 7 users
Because when forced to think of a random word on the spot, I always think "umbrella!"

I just use my real name. Either that, or I just enjoy bad puns.

The other name I considered was Billy Rubin, but I was worried people would think I was yellow.

Okay, I'll see myself out now.
I'd like to introduce you to Frank Hemoptysis

I picked a variation on my daughter's name given that she was in the eighth grade at the time and had no prospects of going to medical school (she's now a business professional). This is my third or fourth avatar. I always go for something that shows me as a bit older, and maybe a bit strict. My first was not memorable, the second was "The Fruitcake Lady" from the Tonight show with Jay Leno (google it), the next was Sue Sylvester from Glee (which was pretty funny when someone saw her and thought LizzyM was doing holiday ads for Target) and now "M" from James Bond, "the evil queen of numbers" just seems to suit me.

Reactions: 10 users
I'd like to introduce you to Frank Hemoptysis

I picked a variation on my daughter's name given that she was in the eighth grade at the time and had no prospects of going to medical school (she's now a business professional). This is my third or fourth avatar. I always go for something that shows me as a bit older, and maybe a bit strict. My first was not memorable, the second was "The Fruitcake Lady" from the Tonight show with Jay Leno (google it), the next was Sue Sylvester from Glee (which was pretty funny when someone saw her and thought LizzyM was doing holiday ads for Target) and now "M" from James Bond, "the evil queen of numbers" just seems to suit me.

LOOL :claps:

These snippets were so funny. We need another segment of this on a new show.

Reactions: 4 users
I am a big fan of Sir Sean Connery