Tentative School List, Canadian, 514 MCAT, 3.843 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MintMonkey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

This is a follow up to this post with relevant information copied below.

cGPA: 3.843 and sGPA: ~3.79 (neither GPA are calculated by AMCAS)
MCAT: Overall 514 (92nd percentile = ~33 old MCAT)
o Chem/Physics: 127 (79th percentile)
o CARS: 129 (95th percentile)
o Bio/Biochem: 127 (78th percentile)
o Psych/Soc: 131 (99th percentile)​
Country of citizenship: Canada (Ontario) (I have an American undergraduate degree)
Ethnicity and/or race: White
Clinical experience: 100-120 hours (reading to children in pediatric waiting room).
Research experience: 2 summers of research (one wet lab, other clinical) and one academic year of research while at school. One poster presentation, and one paper on the way soon hopefully (from clinical research summer). This year (2016-2017) I am working full time in a lab in NYC.
Shadowing experience: ~6 hours (yup, not so much…)
Non-clinical volunteering: Tutored math/sciences to 6/7/8th graders. Taught and organized weekly, fun “mad science” lessons for fourth graders. Spent two weeks one summer volunteering in a camp for kids with special needs.
Other extracurricular activities: Wrestled for one academic year NCAA III; was biology tutor and introductory biology lab TA. Was part of leadership for my schools “Canada club.” I played intramural ultimate Frisbee, and strength train regularly,
Relevant honors or awards: Won a first place in a competition for an oral presentation detailing my clinical research; dean’s list all semesters; Won an award for “excellence in the sciences” upon graduation from undergrad.

What do you think of my tentative school list? Any suggestions? I have strong preference for NY area, but I also really like the Boston area also. I'm pretty ambivalent about 13-26 because I don't know that much about the schools/areas. I included them because they accept Canadians and seemed to be a match for my GPA/MCAT score.

1. Columbia
  2. Einstein
  3. Weil Cornell
  4. Mount Sinai
  5. NYMC (Touro)
  6. Stonybrook
  7. Rutgers (Newark)
  8. Rutgers (Piscataway)
  9. Brown
  10. Boston U
  11. Tufts
  12. Emory
  13. Dartmouth
  14. Thomas Jeff
  15. Rosalind
  16. George Wash U
  17. Oakland U
  18. Saint Louis
  19. George Town
  20. Loma Linda
  21. Tulane
  22. U of Kentucky
  23. U of Maryland
  24. U of Virginia
  25. Virginia commonwealth
  26. Wayne State
Thank you in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you fit the mission for Loma Linda?
You have included schools that matriculated no regular international MD's (Rutgers RWJ, Tufts),one international (Rutgers NJ) and two (Emory). When matriculants are this low, they are likely to be internal candidiates...
Many have medians well above your MCAT (Sinai, Cornell, Columbia).

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Nice tabby! (My favorite breed).
She's my Mom's rescue cat, Baby.

Back OT: If you have combed the MSAR for every school that matriculated at least 3 internationals and has a median around yours (33ish), you have done all you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your replies.

Admittedly, I did not do much research into all the schools or their ethos (i.e Loma Linda). What is the "mission" of Loma Linda?

When I made the list I just looked for schools and that accepted Canadians (> than 3 as I have seen you suggest in other posts) and were closeish to my stats.

I included a few schools that accepted <3 Canadians and/or are above my median MCAT because they are geographically preferable for me/I just like them. If you were to pair it down, which schools would you think are most reasonable then?