terminated weeks after promotion, no review, no probation, "due process" behind closed doors?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a med student sub-I rotating at one of these "outside hospitals" and covering a Patient with a fairly complicated problem list and hospital stay, I took the initiative and wrote up a very lengthy and detailed transfer note before we sent the patient to another facility. My attending saw the note, and while he "let it slide" and left it in the materials we sent over with the patient, suggested that in the future, for "legal reasons" we generally never want to provide so much "detail" when transferring a Patient-- it could come back to bite us, so "saying less is more"... I'm sure just sending the nursing note is a poorly conceived form of defensive medicine.

The sad part, about nursing notes, however, is if I ever want to know the real details on a patient I'm admitting from the ED, I read the nursing notes. They're often much more useful than the ED physician documentation.

...now floor RN notes. Those make me go crosseyed.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As a med student sub-I rotating at one of these "outside hospitals" and covering a Patient with a fairly complicated problem list and hospital stay, I took the initiative and wrote up a very lengthy and detailed transfer note before we sent the patient to another facility. My attending saw the note, and while he "let it slide" and left it in the materials we sent over with the patient, suggested that in the future, for "legal reasons" we generally never want to provide so much "detail" when transferring a Patient-- it could come back to bite us, so "saying less is more"... I'm sure just sending the nursing note is a poorly conceived form of defensive medicine.
I actually think it's mainly because on average, the nurses are so much better about charting in real time than the docs are. I know I wind up finishing a lot of charts after the fact, especially when things are busy at work, and so do many of my colleagues. How many nurses do you know who spend their days off finishing charts from the prior week? I'm guessing none, and I don't know any either. Of course, it also helps that they cover fewer patients than we do, and they therefore have fewer charts to do.

The sad part, about nursing notes, however, is if I ever want to know the real details on a patient I'm admitting from the ED, I read the nursing notes. They're often much more useful than the ED physician documentation.

...now floor RN notes. Those make me go crosseyed.
(Only slightly exaggerated) Typical ED note:

Patient comes in complaining of abdominal pain.

Exam shows abdominal tenderness.

My diagnosis is abdominal pain.

My plan includes labs, imaging.

Reactions: 4 users
@ OP:
If you're still reading, I just wanted to wish you and your wife good luck! I don't need to know the details or to decide right from wrong in order to understand that you are both in a very tough situation and very likely don't 'deserve' all of the suffering you're going through.

As far as the SDN commentary, keep in mind that this place draws a certain crowd... Many are smart folks who make valid points but perhaps are a bit on the skeptical / harsh end of the expressive spectrum. It's the culture of the board, and that probably does reflect to some extent the culture of medicine. But it doesn't capture the whole picture. There are sympathetic strangers out here - we just aren't as vocal, on average.

Reactions: 2 users
(Only slightly exaggerated) Typical ED note:

Patient comes in complaining of abdominal pain.

Exam shows abdominal tenderness.

My diagnosis is abdominal pain.

My plan includes labs, imaging.

Is your ER ran by monkeys?

And ER people often chart the diagnosis as abdominal pain or cardiac pain and not a specific diagnosis for medico-legal reasons.

Is your ER ran by monkeys?

And ER people often chart the diagnosis as abdominal pain or cardiac pain and not a specific diagnosis for medico-legal reasons.
Sometimes I'm not quite sure...

I'm mostly kidding though. Our ER doesn't have thorough charts because they're busy as hell, and we totally understand that. Usually they have at least some detail but (obviously) not as much as the admitting team. If I was seeing 20+ new patients every shift I'd probably sacrifice chart quality too. Incomplete medical decision-making sections can be a bit of a laugh sometimes, but I'm going to come up with my own plan anyway, so meh. I can usually figure out what their reasoning was that led them to order whatever they ordered,

What annoys me the most though is timeliness. I swear to god, half the ER residents don't finish their notes till a week later, frequently once the patient has already been discharged after their admission to the hospital. I have no idea how they get away with that without their programs flipping out on them, but it happens constantly.

Nursing homes have taken to tearing off the part of the MAR that shows when meds were actually given. So we get a med list but no idea when the last dose was given. It adds some delightful uncertainty to the AMS coming from the NH. Because it wasn't challenging enough not having things like onset of sx, or baseline status, or an H&P done in the last two years.

The ER is a bit hit or miss. There have been times where their notes are incredibly sloppy and I'm not sure what labs/tests they've done, and there have been times when they have captured some good detail that I had missed in initially scouring the chart for 30 minutes in making my own H&P, so it can be quite variable. Fact is, it's not the ER's job to do the whole workup - that's the admitting service's job; the ER is there to triage and rule out serious pathology in the people they do not admit, whom they end up sending home.

The ER is a bit hit or miss. There have been times where their notes are incredibly sloppy and I'm not sure what labs/tests they've done, and there have been times when they have captured some good detail that I had missed in initially scouring the chart for 30 minutes in making my own H&P, so it can be quite variable. Fact is, it's not the ER's job to do the whole workup - that's the admitting service's job; the ER is there to triage and rule out serious pathology in the people they do not admit, whom they end up sending home.

well…i'd say having ovarian torsion as part of the differential for the abdominal pain of a 70 yo man is a bit sloppy…true story…note signed and everything…even if the ED doc went back and fixed it, its still part of the medical record….

well…i'd say having ovarian torsion as part of the differential for the abdominal pain of a 70 yo man is a bit sloppy…true story…note signed and everything…even if the ED doc went back and fixed it, its still part of the medical record….
Maybe it was a transsexual with some of the factory installed equipment still in place.

Back in med school we had a male patient with metastatic ovarian cancer, so....

RESIDENT was drastically fired from her family medicine residency at PROGRAM this July 2014. She immediately appealed to the PROGRAM’s board of directors, which after two months of mostly silence, simply denied her appeal without offering any other communication. Her questions, requests for information, objections, and concerns about violations of ACGME requirements were flat out ignored.

The rest of this letter, describes events and circumstances surrounding RESIDENT’s termination. There is ample evidence that her termination was unjustified and in stark violation of multiple PROGRAM and ACGME policies. Worse than the very real and existential threat to RESIDENT’s livelihood, is the way RESIDENT has been treated, the way she was being pressured to resign before being terminated, and the extent to which her concerns, objections, and questions with regard to her termination were ignored even when she appealed to the PROGRAM’s board of directors.

Leading up to her termination, RESIDENT --feeling desperately overworked and behind on her medical documentation-- requested any options that would lower her workload; even offered to extend her residency over an additional year. In response, she was told to take a week to catch her breath and complete outstanding documentation. It was not until halfway through this week that she was informed (in writing by PD) that failure to complete ANY outstanding responsibilities would result in immediate termination for academic reasons.

The email dialogs between RESIDENT and her Program Director(PD) over the past year, make it more than evident that PD was growing increasingly frustrated with RESIDENT voicing her concerns about duty hours violations and patient safety issues arising from hasty documentation practices being forced on residents.

Several emails specifically, further suggest, that RESIDENT has been assigned higher workload (e.g. being assigned higher significantly patient load) directly in response to raising concerns, and has faced disciplinary action (eg. having certain batching privileges revoked) without being given any justifiable reason whatsoever (despite requesting to know the reason).

I believe the following items to be facts, but will immediately inform anyone in receipt of this email if presented with any evidence to suggest otherwise:

• The ACGME requires that when reviewing evaluation and reasons for nonrenewal of appointments, the resident must be allowed a fair hearing and due process.

• The ACGME requires the sponsoring institution to give a resident at least a four-month written notice when his or her performance is unfavorable for promotion or the program is considering termination.

• RESIDENT has never denied that she was behind and unable to catch up on documentation, but PROGRAMS’s EMR software also shows that --during the past year-- RESIDENT, as an R2 was responsible for more documents and patients than any of the other residents in the entire program, including senior 3rd year residents.

• During her entire time at PROGRAM, RESIDENT was never placed on review or probation. She was promoted from R2 to R3 less than month before being terminated without any notice of unsatisfactory performance.

• Although the week to work on outstanding documentation was originally presented to her as the result of her advisor speaking to PD, (RESIDENT had appealed to her advisor about options to reduce her workload in an email and subsequent meeting), RESIDENTS’s advisor did not even know that she had been terminated until RESIDENT emailed her a week after the fact!

• RESIDENT was not informed about where or when the board meeting to address her appeal was held. She was not allowed to attend the meeting. She also was not informed who was present / making this decision.

• RESIDENT has talked to at least one other resident who resigned from PROGRAM in the past for personal reasons and learned that this resident was also pressured to resign.

I personally, find it incredibly hard to imagine genuinely malevolent intentions by PD or other PROGRAM administrators, but at this point am at a complete loss as to what other conclusion to be arriving at. Indeed, PD tried strongly to pressure RESIDENT into resigning, offering letters of recommendation and help finding another residency. If she would not resign voluntarily, she would be fired for academic reasons, was certainly not to expect any letters of recommendation, and should expect never to be able to practice family medicine again! I simply cannot fathom any set circumstances under which this dichotomy can be considered, or appears even remotely ethical or just.

What would you do? The ACGME doesn’t handle individual disputes, legal action would take years, meanwhile finding another residency is proving very challenging. Even if RESIDENT finds a new program, either her or her spouse ends up a single parent with 2 toddlers unless spouse was to throw career (and currently only means of support) out the window.

[edited: I removed one of the items in the list in favor of anonymity.]
RESIDENT was drastically fired from her family medicine residency at PROGRAM this July 2014. She immediately appealed to the PROGRAM’s board of directors, which after two months of mostly silence, simply denied her appeal without offering any other communication. Her questions, requests for information, objections, and concerns about violations of ACGME requirements were flat out ignored.

The rest of this letter, describes events and circumstances surrounding RESIDENT’s termination. There is ample evidence that her termination was unjustified and in stark violation of multiple PROGRAM and ACGME policies. Worse than the very real and existential threat to RESIDENT’s livelihood, is the way RESIDENT has been treated, the way she was being pressured to resign before being terminated, and the extent to which her concerns, objections, and questions with regard to her termination were ignored even when she appealed to the PROGRAM’s board of directors.

Leading up to her termination, RESIDENT --feeling desperately overworked and behind on her medical documentation-- requested any options that would lower her workload; even offered to extend her residency over an additional year. In response, she was told to take a week to catch her breath and complete outstanding documentation. It was not until halfway through this week that she was informed (in writing by PD) that failure to complete ANY outstanding responsibilities would result in immediate termination for academic reasons.

The email dialogs between RESIDENT and her Program Director(PD) over the past year, make it more than evident that PD was growing increasingly frustrated with RESIDENT voicing her concerns about duty hours violations and patient safety issues arising from hasty documentation practices being forced on residents.

Several emails specifically, further suggest, that RESIDENT has been assigned higher workload (e.g. being assigned higher significantly patient load) directly in response to raising concerns, and has faced disciplinary action (eg. having certain batching privileges revoked) without being given any justifiable reason whatsoever (despite requesting to know the reason).

I believe the following items to be facts, but will immediately inform anyone in receipt of this email if presented with any evidence to suggest otherwise:

• The ACGME requires that when reviewing evaluation and reasons for nonrenewal of appointments, the resident must be allowed a fair hearing and due process.

• The ACGME requires the sponsoring institution to give a resident at least a four-month written notice when his or her performance is unfavorable for promotion or the program is considering termination.

• RESIDENT has never denied that she was behind and unable to catch up on documentation, but PROGRAMS’s EMR software also shows that --during the past year-- RESIDENT, as an R2 was responsible for more documents and patients than any of the other residents in the entire program, including senior 3rd year residents.

• During her entire time at PROGRAM, RESIDENT was never placed on review or probation. She was promoted from R2 to R3 less than month before being terminated without any notice of unsatisfactory performance.

• Although the week to work on outstanding documentation was originally presented to her as the result of her advisor speaking to PD, (RESIDENT had appealed to her advisor about options to reduce her workload in an email and subsequent meeting), RESIDENTS’s advisor did not even know that she had been terminated until RESIDENT emailed her a week after the fact!

• RESIDENT was not informed about where or when the board meeting to address her appeal was held. She was not allowed to attend the meeting. She also was not informed who was present / making this decision.

• RESIDENT has talked to at least one other resident who resigned from PROGRAM in the past for personal reasons and learned that this resident was also pressured to resign.

I personally, find it incredibly hard to imagine genuinely malevolent intentions by PD or other PROGRAM administrators, but at this point am at a complete loss as to what other conclusion to be arriving at. Indeed, PD tried strongly to pressure RESIDENT into resigning, offering letters of recommendation and help finding another residency. If she would not resign voluntarily, she would be fired for academic reasons, was certainly not to expect any letters of recommendation, and should expect never to be able to practice family medicine again! I simply cannot fathom any set circumstances under which this dichotomy can be considered, or appears even remotely ethical or just.

What would you do? The ACGME doesn’t handle individual disputes, legal action would take years, meanwhile finding another residency is proving very challenging. Even if RESIDENT finds a new program, either her or her spouse ends up a single parent with 2 toddlers unless spouse was to throw career (and currently only means of support) out the window.

[edited: I removed one of the items in the list in favor of anonymity.]

Wow! I just read some of the posts to your letter and must say that most are way off base, especially the so-called PD. You are absolutely correct that the rules matter. There is very little accountability in medicine, particularly GME because so many participants are cynical about the process and naive to work place rules. I say this as someone who was a 50-year-old resident, discriminated against, and filed a lawsuit against a residency (still pending). I've come to learn that another resident has also filed a lawsuit against the SAME residency program. You should file a complaint with the ACGME. They won't adjudicate as you note, but they will likely investigate. If considering a lawsuit, keep in mind that there is a law called the Health Care Quality Improvement Act (HCQIA) that is cynically used by hospitals to get rid of good doctors. Substantial due process carries no weight (as in whether the allegations are false). All that matters is whether procedural due process had been followed. Even here, the most you can say is that your contract (hence you are not "at will" as some have incorrectly stated) was violated but your damages are the remainder of your salary minus any mitigation (like new job). Better to show a civil rights violation (discrimination, retaliation--see EEOC website), as there are real damages associated with those claims. The best way to counter those who think they can do whatever they want is to go public (see malignantresidency.com) or to the local press. Don't be afraid to name names. As Abraham Lincoln once said, the best defense against charges of libel is the truth. The burden is upon them to show that your statement was false. So despite threatening letters of possible legal action against you, it's posturing meant to intimidate. You must speak up!

Wow! I just read some of the posts to your letter and must say that most are way off base, especially the so-called PD. You are absolutely correct that the rules matter. There is very little accountability in medicine, particularly GME because so many participants are cynical about the process and naive to work place rules. I say this as someone who was a 50-year-old resident, discriminated against, and filed a lawsuit against a residency (still pending). I've come to learn that another resident has also filed a lawsuit against the SAME residency program. You should file a complaint with the ACGME. They won't adjudicate as you note, but they will likely investigate. If considering a lawsuit, keep in mind that there is a law called the Health Care Quality Improvement Act (HCQIA) that is cynically used by hospitals to get rid of good doctors. Substantial due process carries no weight (as in whether the allegations are false). All that matters is whether procedural due process had been followed. Even here, the most you can say is that your contract (hence you are not "at will" as some have incorrectly stated) was violated but your damages are the remainder of your salary minus any mitigation (like new job). Better to show a civil rights violation (discrimination, retaliation--see EEOC website), as there are real damages associated with those claims. The best way to counter those who think they can do whatever they want is to go public (see malignantresidency.com) or to the local press. Don't be afraid to name names. As Abraham Lincoln once said, the best defense against charges of libel is the truth. The burden is upon them to show that your statement was false. So despite threatening letters of possible legal action against you, it's posturing meant to intimidate. You must speak up!

MDesquire, is that you?

Reactions: 3 users
... As Abraham Lincoln once said, the best defense against charges of libel is the truth. The burden is upon them to show that your statement was false. So despite threatening letters of possible legal action against you, it's posturing meant to intimidate. You must speak up!

As the prior poster suggested, and if he's right, making up a new sock puppet and continuing to try and lend credence to your views with famous quotes really undermines your credibility on a bulletin board. Dont try to reinvent yourself as something different just because your prior personas crashed and burned. As Abraham Lincoln once said "calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg".

Last edited:
Even here, the most you can say is that your contract (hence you are not "at will" as some have incorrectly stated) was violated but your damages are the remainder of your salary minus any mitigation (like new job). Better to show a civil rights violation (discrimination, retaliation--see EEOC website), as there are real damages associated with those claims. !

The part about only being able to get back your remaining salary for a contract violation is a good point and something residents considering lawsuits should keep in mind. Here's a question for the lawyers on this forum: how likely is it for a resident to be able to win a civil rights violation claim (assuming he/she is in a protected class and has some validity to his claims)?

The part about only being able to get back your remaining salary for a contract violation is a good point and something residents considering lawsuits should keep in mind. Here's a question for the lawyers on this forum: how likely is it for a resident to be able to win a civil rights violation claim (assuming he/she is in a protected class and has some validity to his claims)?

It's only as likely as the amount of evidence you can present.

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm smart enough to take a hint when more than 2 people advise the same thing, so no letter or further posts.

FYI:
She was certainly not the only one behind on documentation. For most of the past year the residents I talked to said they were far more behind than her during most of the year.

From what I gather multiple residents have been suspended from clinic on numerous occasions for being behind on documentation (and my wife was too earlier this year)

She did refuse to "just do them faster", felt like the implication was to make the emr system / billing department happy rather than care about the patient.

She never showed me any patient data just the result of a query for how many patients and documents everyone was responsible or for. (Worth noting she was responsible for more than any other resident). She just talked to a friend at a different residency (also just went from R2 to R3). Her friend had ~500 clinic patient encounters. My wife had over 1100.

I understand there is another side to every story...it's just very frustrating when they won't say much at all. I did send some of the above concerns to PD asking to help me understand / tell me what I was missing....only to get "some of your questions are for your wife to answer, others for herself to contemplate" as a response.
This EMR issue is in almost every employed hospital position . To work and maintain the RVU's needed to stay employed, you have to work and chart FAST.

>>The bottom line is...this is not a battle you can fight for your wife
You are right. However, fact is that at the end of the day this is having an enormous impact on my life as well, I don't think it's fair to expect me to stand by idly as everything I have worked hard towards for years is being destroyed by someone else's decision...especially if they are entirely unwilling to explain their reasoning / respond to my wife's side of the story.

I am still desperate to understand the circumstances; even if at the ends that means coming to terms with the fact she was fired for acceptable reasons. I did not post here to have people tell me whether or not my wife being terminated was right or wrong...I am much more interested in finding out what I can do to be able to get to a position to make that call. At this point in time, yes, I am choosing to believe my wife. I am very aware that it is probably impossible for me to ever be completely objective about the situation, but am at a loss as to how to even try to make an informed decision about how to act next when I am only able to get one side of the story.

I understand that it is much more likely that there is another side of the story that paints a very different picture about how and why my wife has been fired. But just for the sake of argument, if you assume that my wife was terminated in bad faith, are there really no options than to pursue a lengthy legal battle? Does this highly regulated industry not have any other safe guards or advocates in place to prevent the exploitation? Considering the rest of the reality you find yourself in, is it that far fetched that exploitation and wrongdoing could actually exist in medicine or medical education?

>> Being unable to understand as an outsider to medicine
Although I do not work directly in healthcare, I do feel like I have a background rendering me at least somewhat proficient to ask some of these questions. Both my parents are doctors (granted, in a different country / a single payer system). I myself am, a software engineer / entrepreneur and have worked on multiple EMR systems for both doctors and dentists, so at the very least I understand very well what kind of information it is going into these systems and how the various pieces of information relate to each other.

>> at the end of the day its about whether she was getting her work done
Even if she was actually given an unreasonable workload? Even if she had batching privileges revoked and saw significantly more patients than any other residents? she saw almost twice as many patients last year as most other residents in her class. How can you fire someone for not getting their work done, when overall they are getting far more work done than anyone else?

>> Comparisons to other residents / attempts to quantify via EMR
Please help me understand how else to establish what a "reasonable" workload would be.

>> If you had an employee that was a month behind on his work after you had repeatedly told them
>> he needed to catch up and now needed an entire week just to redo work that he was supposed
>> to have done before, how long would they be staying employed?

The people I work with are knowledge workers (and I would consider doctors the same), as such I respect their intellect and opinions. If an employee had not communicated with me at all for a long time and then came along saying something like this..yes thats a problem; but if they had been voicing their concerns for months and I just kept piling stuff on top of their workload...I should probably blame myself and do whatever I can to help them.

>> it seems that 1) she didn't want to write shorter notes because she believed it would "compromise patient care"
what she did, was refuse to have other people dictate the content and time spent on notes, because ultimately she would be responsible for the contents of the notes.

>> asking for "options to reduce workload", especially a week off is simply not an option
My wife never say she needed a week, she said she could not manage the workload she was being assigned. I literally saw here maybe once or twice a week when she had a day off after being on call all night. otherwise she would get up at 5am, go to work, and come home around 10pm at which point me and the kids were usually asleep. I was getting upset at her working too much, felt like I was taking care of the kids by myself, thought she was just making excuses when she said that they would fire her if she didn't. She worked beyond 80 hours almost every week in the moths leading up to being fired...when she raised concerns about duty hour violations she was observing in other residents and herself...she was told that it was only because they spent too much time doing their documentation, and that they shouldn't count that time towards their duty hours in the first place.

All because she choose not to sacrifice her integrity by being threatened into shutting up about her concerns? One of her evals, which otherwise are almost entirely positive, reads: "seems to think residents are overworked, starting to negatively impacting work ethic of other residents." She was the only one who dared speak up. Many of the other resident are international; being an immigrant myself, I understand that they are terrified to speak up given their visas depend on their employment.

>> It's just what happens and just because your wife decided not to play the game doesn't mean she should stay employed
Really? Really!?!? The more I talk to people in the medical field, the more I realize that this is actually the prevalent mindset! To be blatantly honest, I find this mentality absolutely repulsive! The thought that medicine, one of the most highly regarded professions in society, literally chooses to build its very foundation on, and encourages the idea that everyone has to go through years of utter submission and sacrifice is disgusting! Do you really believe that this is the one and only way to make sure someone is proficient enough to practice medicine?

Am I that disconnected from reality, that the idea of treating some of the most highly educated people our society has to offer with respect and dignity sounds not only morally right, but like a good idea in terms of encouraging a culture of success and better outcomes?!
This is the way medicine is practiced in the US and the way training is.

Okay, I want to make sure I'm understanding this right:

Most people here seem to be saying that even if, however unlikely it may be, my wife was truly fired unjustly,her only options are to either throw integrity out the window, or give up the idea of practicing medicine and starting a legal battle that is likely to go on for years.
???
You keep bringing up integrity...
How were therapy appointments? I hope they discussed this theme you keep mentioning.....

When I was in the .mil, one Friday morning the Admiral sent out an email, that was followed up by a reminder on the locker room door and a page via the emergency page system that no one was released from duty until 100% of outstanding paperwork was done. Anyone on leave had 24 hours from the time of return to complete their documentation. There was quite a line in the chart room that afternoon.
Real power gets things done. I suspect some were there for a looooong time.
You can't get behind on charting. That's the job. If that means staying an extra hour a day or coming in on Sat AM for a few hours, that's what you do.

Correct, and attendings do this too.
While many of you think attendings have so much control over their schedules, if you want to turn a profit with all the declining reimbursements, etc, you work ALOT for your salary. Being a resident has some protections..being an attending does not...
As an employed doc you keep your head down too..
Everyone knows the nurses run the asylum..
And there are tons and tons and tons of them..

The more I talk to people in the medical field, the more I realize that this is actually the prevalent mindset! To be blatantly honest, I find this mentality absolutely repulsive! The thought that medicine, one of the most highly regarded professions in society, literally chooses to build its very foundation on, and encourages the idea that everyone has to go through years of utter submission and sacrifice is disgusting! Do you really believe that this is the one and only way to make sure someone is proficient enough to practice medicine?
---
Hahahhaha.
The system is highly regulated and standardized in medicine compared to other fields like psychology (psyD) etc.
Utter submission? Do you know what it's like to be a doc in the US?
It's utter submission ALL THE TIME.
At least her boss the PD is a doc.
In the hospital, it can be a nurse with an MBA.

You have to get the notes done, as a resident, at least the supervising doc is on the hook for the notes too.
When she's an attending all the onus is on her....

Reactions: 1 users
And I don't think the docs on here are all that cynical. Many of them know a lot! And in situations like this, there isn't a lot of help otherwise...

I am certain that this represents an unbiased, unabridged account of the events.

"Love" your cynicism.

Your wife is in for hell for the rest of her career. The UMKC Pathology Department lied to the ACGME about months of breast cancer care. They permitted a prolonged ischemic time routinely and this risks false negative testing for estrogen receptor and progesterone receptor. I faithfully reported this to the ACGME in 2011. In 2014 the Medical Board surprised me with the reply UMKC wrote to the ACGME. According to the UMKC GME office, who probably asked the pathology chair, who herself lied under oath in court about probation and remediation, the UMKC pathology department always provided an ischemic time less than 30 minutes.

The medical board not only neglected their duty to protect the public, permitted many women over several months to receive unnecessary chemotherapy instead of the more gentle hormonal therapy for ER & PR positive tumors that tested as false negatives

http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/suppl/2011/02/02/JCO.2006.09.2775.DC3/HER_2_Clinical_Notice.pdf

Its "okay" women don't mind losing their hair because the UMKC Pathology Department, including the pathology chair neglected to implement safe breast cancer care policies.

Best regards,
-BrettMD

---
please ask if you would like more literature on the subject.
There is more here. http://drsocial.org/forums/topic/627/breast-cancer-fiasco-maybe-only

Those of us in training are powerless until we make attending. We don't get to refuse orders. The rules of the game are keep your head down and do what you are told.

Fair or not, those are the rules and the squeaky wheel gets the hammer...not oil

You should never, ever, ever have done this. I'm saying this a a person who cares.....get a grip on yourself and think about what you are doing

Yes, you are disconnected from reality. The reality is that "reasonable" workload is whatever your PD tells you to do that week. You don't win by making waves as a resident. Fighting the powers that be is something they do in movies, it's not wise in real life.

Talk to lawyers.....stop talking to anyone else.

Yes, that is the status Quo. Concerned physicians were able to stop MOC. Maybe we can stop corruption in healthcare and medical education. Don't ever give up.

An update...because why not, certainly staying quiet, and trying to talk to people in a reasonable and respectful manner has gone nowhere whatsoever.

My spouse applied for her permanent license (for which she meets all eligibility criteria as set forth by state law); yet the board is asking her to withdraw her license in lieu of a formal denial (which would be public record and tarnish her career forever she is told).

Instead she should spend $7K to attend a 3-day professional and psychological assessment program in another state...without that, they say they are too concerned about her being able to practice medicine safely because (and these are literally the most specific things she has been told): she encountered problems in her residency training, and Someone who had observed at a hearing thought she might be a "troublemaker".

Even the board law lawyer is telling her that, yes she is right, but is advising her that she really doesn't want to mess with the board...just do what they say or it's just going to get worse.

Almost entirely out of hope at this point, but we are trying to hang in there; I'm looking for work that pays more and my wife, who is a doctor is working the cash register at a Walgreens pharmacy. I guess I feel sorry for the people she could have really helped a lot more with her talent and knowledge that she has worked so hard to gain...

When good people remain silent, bad things will happen.

An update...because why not, certainly staying quiet, and trying to talk to people in a reasonable and respectful manner has gone nowhere whatsoever.

My spouse applied for her permanent license (for which she meets all eligibility criteria as set forth by state law); yet the board is asking her to withdraw her license in lieu of a formal denial (which would be public record and tarnish her career forever she is told).

Instead she should spend $7K to attend a 3-day professional and psychological assessment program in another state...without that, they say they are too concerned about her being able to practice medicine safely because (and these are literally the most specific things she has been told): she encountered problems in her residency training, and Someone who had observed at a hearing thought she might be a "troublemaker".

Even the board law lawyer is telling her that, yes she is right, but is advising her that she really doesn't want to mess with the board...just do what they say or it's just going to get worse.

Almost entirely out of hope at this point, but we are trying to hang in there; I'm looking for work that pays more and my wife, who is a doctor is working the cash register at a Walgreens pharmacy. I guess I feel sorry for the people she could have really helped a lot more with her talent and knowledge that she has worked so hard to gain...

When good people remain silent, bad things will happen.

if the board will approve her due to a $7k course and she can move on with a license it will be the best $7k she's ever spent

Reactions: 8 users
I'm a little concerned the whole thing is meant to come up with a reason to deny her license. Still waiting to hear, but so far questions about how many people the board refers there vs how many people end up being disciplined / having their license denied / suspended have gone unanswered...usually by trying to change the subject.

The only references to the suggested places I have found are on their own websites and in public records about medical boards using them to justify disciplinary action. (I understand there is a selection bias...but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for statistical information like how many people out of the ones they send end up being punished somehow.

I realize this might sound a little paranoid, but I don't think anyone can blame me for not having a lot of trust in the board at this point.

I'm a little concerned the whole thing is meant to come up with a reason to deny her license. Still waiting to hear, but so far questions about how many people the board refers there vs how many people end up being disciplined / having their license denied / suspended have gone unanswered...usually by trying to change the subject.

The only references to the suggested places I have found are on their own websites and in public records about medical boards using them to justify disciplinary action. (I understand there is a selection bias...but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for statistical information like how many people out of the ones they send end up being punished somehow.

I realize this might sound a little paranoid, but I don't think anyone can blame me for not having a lot of trust in the board at this point.

They want to make sure that she is at least safe to the best of their ability. If they received communication from training programs that were concerning, they are either going to straight deny the license or put conditions on it. Having this independent review go through and allow her to successfully get a license is important in the board's eyes. They don't know your wife from anyone so they can only go by the information they have in front of them. It's not personal.

I guess I'd just like to make sure it really is an independant review.

Shouldn't they at least tell her what concerning information might have been communicated by the program?

I guess I'd just like to make sure it really is an independant review.

Shouldn't they at least tell her what concerning information might have been communicated by the program?

You are going to be right/indignant and cost her a career.

Put your tail between your legs, do what they say, play ball, and move on with your life.

I would also lawyer up at this point. This is serious business.

Reactions: 1 users
You have to be kidding me. This is very similar to my situation. What we have is a system of scared medical regulators that put their own fears above patient safety. If there is any red flag of any sort, they do not typically take initiative to investigate the cause, but they send the person for a many thousand dollar evaluation. First of all, the medical board is trapped or insistent that they remain within the mindset that (1) the evaluating physician is always right, or that (2) when people are dismissed from a residency program, it signifies that there is something wrong with the resident and not the program.

What this effectively does, is that it enables inept and corrupt leadership in medicine to go unchecked. It is unfathomable, and it boggles the mind, that the medical board would witness the Residency Program Director and Department Chair lie under oath in court while being audio recorded and speaking to the Board and the Judge, and it still wouldn't cross their mind with serious consideration that they should review the patient charts for objective documentation related to patient care and patient safety.

Whether your wife was a trouble maker or not, I cannot say. Yet I can say this, the medical board would accuse a person who screams while being raped of being a trouble maker. Their judgments are riddled with hypocrisy and a lack of responsibility. They have no accountability for their decisions, but only to appear as if they are keeping the public safe.

We have a healthcare system that is literally killing hundreds of patients each week, and the medical board's methods of regulation and discipline have done nothing to stem the tide of death in this country.

If you don't have a lawyer by now, you need to get one. Contact the Bar Association. In addition, it may be prudent to sue the university and to get them to admit on paper that they did not follow the ACGME Policies and Procedures and that it was the University that was acting grossly unethical and violating policy.

The term healthcare leader is becoming a sharade, and what is represents is those persons that close their eyes to the corruption and death and cover-ups that occur routinely in American Healthcare. The IOM report was on point when they identified significant lapses in patient safety that are killing people. Is it really a surprise that this is occuring when, for example, I have reported months of dishonest and unethical conduct of a physician to the medical board in 2011, and they did nothing. The Joint Commission cited the hospital and the laboratory several times for the department's negligence. What is more, is that the medical board reprimanded me, yes, reprimanded me for reporting patient harm. My attorney sees this as a right to attack my character as part of their case. As a physician, I have seen the unsafe patient care in that department that I reported to the Chair, the DIO, an attending, and to other residents, and then to the ACGME and the Medical Board and The Joint Commission. I have seen how this affects people's lives and regardless of whether the medical board attorney has the right to attack my character legally, the attorney has neglected the fundamental duty of the medical board to protect the public from unsafe care.

Whatever can appease the Medical Board your wife should surely do, but if you are disgusted by the lack of quality control in medical education and medical regulation, with lip service only, then I encourage your wife to not forget what has happened when she gets her license. Doctor Antoine Adem, a cardiologist that provided good medical care to his patients, none of whom were harmed, had six counts of fraud committed against him by the medical board of Missouri. This is not an isolated event. The medical board even had a meeting to discuss how to improve their performance. Yet, when the medical board purposefully remains ignorant of events related to patient care, they therefore act on assumptions and prejudice. No effective regulatory commission should receive a report of unsafe patient care, and then ask the accused physician if it is true, and as soon as the accused physician says "no," they close the case.

This is an incredibly ignorant, literally, without knowledge, method of medical regulation and it is the modus operandi of several, if not all state medical boards. The doctors do not perform literature review to determine if a contested case of care is appropriately. They assume that it is not appropriate, toss the case to their attorney and say "litigate," and then act as if they are protecting the public. Dr. Antoine Adem provided by-the-books, guideline-appropriate medical care, and the medical board did not even bother to ask Dr. Adem his therapeutic rationale prior to initiating litigation against him. The ignorant medical board, again literally, without knowledge of the guideline-appropriate practice of medicine, wasted more than $100,000 of tax-payer dollars trying to prosecute a cardiologist for providing good medical care. The Medical Board's insist that they will continue on a pathway of one-direction communication. That one-direction communications is precisely why we have medical boards that commit fraud and repeatedly, and I emphatically state "repeatedly," reprimand doctors for "by-the-books, FDA-approved medical care."

Patients deserve better than lip service from medical boards that would rather print off twitter reports of their inaction than (1) communicate, or (2) investigate reports of unsafe care.
"Tell me more," can go a long way to reducing medical error and reducing the gross inefficiency of medical regulation. I certainly cannot correct this great system of corruption and injustice on my own. I need to accept responsibility for raising hell about the medical board's refusal to even acknowledge or consider the possibility that patients received unsafe medical care for months.

This is serious business, and we need (1) lawyers; (2) physicians; and even some on the medical boards themselves, to work with, meet with state legislatures and highlight the gross perversion of patient safety and dysregulation that is resulting from the medical board's one-direction manner of communication. A conversation includes at least four directions of communication. That is giving and taking by each person in a group of two. The Medical Boards are concerned legally about the communication they give to others. That is fine, and there is no reason to suggest that they should be placed in a situation where they would be legally jeapordized. However, The one-direction communication from the medical boards has overlooked a critical function of regulatory agencies, the ability to listen. When medical boards pre-judge, based on their prejudices regarding matters of patient safety, it is a fundamental failing of the medical board's mission and purpose. Their mission is to protect the public and ensure qualified doctors are practicing. Most reasonable persons would not likely suggest there is wrong in such a noble aim. However, when the medical board refuses to accept additional information to consider as part of their decision making processes, they are making themselves ignorant of what has occured in reality. The Boards are probably, largely oblivious to this secondary to the position of authority that they wield over doctors. Thankfully, I have no family to support, or I would have become complacent with the patient harm long ago. When one has children to feed, lying about patient care isn't so bad; at least that it what I have gathered by working with people that are placed in situations where they are compelled to lie. This may sound unbelievable to many persons. Please, let me ask you to consider for a moment whether you know with certainty, that all residency programs are similar to the one that you trained at, and please ask yourself, if you know with certainty whether every program director in the country is honest and trustworthy like the program director that you worked for?

I have worked for amazing physicians. It boggles the mind the high level of professionalism that these doctors display. They aren't perfect, they are people, sometimes they say the wrong things, but the big picture, is that these doctors that I have worked for are training teams of other people to become respectable, competent physicians. Indeed, they are training others to become healthcare leaders like themselves.

Those with authority in healthcare do not always manifest the same characteristics of noble leadership as some of the exemplary physicians that I trained under. Nonetheless, the medical boards have rigid understanding of professionalism, and even when there is significant evidence to the contrary, they hold fast to their tiered ideology of expertise and along with that they equate: honesty, integrity, professionalism, ethics and patient safety. Yet, this is not how the world works in reality, and those outside the medical profession (Daniel Goleman, Social intelligence) have recognized that the profession is indeed unsafe and that the strict manner of tiered regulation is likely a contributing factor. In fact, Dr. Goleman, PhD suggests that medical education and medical regulation are even more rigid than the military. Dr. Goleman states that military recognizes the importance of information from front-line soldiers, and that the medical profession is regulated in a manner that is arcane and is very unsafe.

Medical Board members probably look at the high rate of medical error in the country and think, we better reprimand more doctors. Yet indiscriminate harassment of physicians whilst pardoning their own unprofessional actions, such as receiving a speeding ticket is not the answer. The answer to patient safety critically relies on knowledge of the events regarding patient care. I have worked with hundreds of physicians, thousands actually during my time in medicine. Only at one program did I witness reports of concerns about patient care go recklessly neglected. The State Medical Boards assume,... they assume that everyone under their regulation has done their job appropriately and that the more senior the academic title, the more honest the physician. Yet, a review of patient charts, a review of court audio recordings, a review of surgical operating room logs, and a review of the actual matters of patient care will verify that these assumptions having been and can be expected to continue to place patient care at risk.

The Rate of Medical Discipline has gone up in the country, but, the rate of medical error has not gone down accordingly. People ask where is the black box about patient care, similar to those that airplanes have. Well, the black of patient care is partly represented by the patient chart. Yet, instead of reviewing patient charts, the medical board has chosen to review the reports of the Program Director only. Most residency program directors are honest and do not lie under oath. However, the assumptions that the medical board makes, that all program directors are the same, and that all senior faculty are of a similar honesty and competency is, at least a couple of times in my state, the reason that state medical boards are committing fraud and also aiding and abetting doctors that wish to conceal negligence. The best manner is to prevent negligence. The next best thing is to admit and correct it as soon as it is identified.
The reality of medical negligence, is that at some Universities, it occurs, is reported, the reports are ignored, and it continues. Eventually, medical regulators at the national level are notified, a so-called whistleblower (Y.Vidal 2013 How to prevent a hospital from Killing You), and then those that ignored the reports of negligent patient care initially make specious claims to cover up the events. Without a Medical Regulator that is willing to listen and consider, and receive information, these lies about patient care have been, and likely will continue to be covered up, not corrected, and remediated, and will continue to put patients at risk. Yet, when a medical board can show the public a list of people it reprimands, or denies licenses to, there may be the illusion that effective regulation is taking place.

I am nobody important, but I recongize the importance of patients. Their medical care is important, their safety is important, and their lives are important. When medical regulation reprimands for the sake of reprimanding while neglecting to correct critical failings of patient safety, the public is left with what is effectively a sham regulatory system.

Please consider the http://drsocial.org/forums/topic/337/va-scandal-a-congressional-repo
VA Scandal.

Service calls and I must leave.

Kind regards.

You have to be kidding me. This is very similar to my situation. What we have is a system of scared medical regulators that put their own fears above patient safety. If there is any red flag of any sort, they do not typically take initiative to investigate the cause, but they send the person for a many thousand dollar evaluation. First of all, the medical board is trapped or insistent that they remain within the mindset that (1) the evaluating physician is always right, or that (2) when people are dismissed from a residency program, it signifies that there is something wrong with the resident and not the program.

What this effectively does, is that it enables inept and corrupt leadership in medicine to go unchecked. It is unfathomable, and it boggles the mind, that the medical board would witness the Residency Program Director and Department Chair lie under oath in court while being audio recorded and speaking to the Board and the Judge, and it still wouldn't cross their mind with serious consideration that they should review the patient charts for objective documentation related to patient care and patient safety.

Whether your wife was a trouble maker or not, I cannot say. Yet I can say this, the medical board would accuse a person who screams while being raped of being a trouble maker. Their judgments are riddled with hypocrisy and a lack of responsibility. They have no accountability for their decisions, but only to appear as if they are keeping the public safe.

We have a healthcare system that is literally killing hundreds of patients each week, and the medical board's methods of regulation and discipline have done nothing to stem the tide of death in this country.

If you don't have a lawyer by now, you need to get one. Contact the Bar Association. In addition, it may be prudent to sue the university and to get them to admit on paper that they did not follow the ACGME Policies and Procedures and that it was the University that was acting grossly unethical and violating policy.

The term healthcare leader is becoming a sharade, and what is represents is those persons that close their eyes to the corruption and death and cover-ups that occur routinely in American Healthcare. The IOM report was on point when they identified significant lapses in patient safety that are killing people. Is it really a surprise that this is occuring when, for example, I have reported months of dishonest and unethical conduct of a physician to the medical board in 2011, and they did nothing. The Joint Commission cited the hospital and the laboratory several times for the department's negligence. What is more, is that the medical board reprimanded me, yes, reprimanded me for reporting patient harm. My attorney sees this as a right to attack my character as part of their case. As a physician, I have seen the unsafe patient care in that department that I reported to the Chair, the DIO, an attending, and to other residents, and then to the ACGME and the Medical Board and The Joint Commission. I have seen how this affects people's lives and regardless of whether the medical board attorney has the right to attack my character legally, the attorney has neglected the fundamental duty of the medical board to protect the public from unsafe care.

Whatever can appease the Medical Board your wife should surely do, but if you are disgusted by the lack of quality control in medical education and medical regulation, with lip service only, then I encourage your wife to not forget what has happened when she gets her license. Doctor Antoine Adem, a cardiologist that provided good medical care to his patients, none of whom were harmed, had six counts of fraud committed against him by the medical board of Missouri. This is not an isolated event. The medical board even had a meeting to discuss how to improve their performance. Yet, when the medical board purposefully remains ignorant of events related to patient care, they therefore act on assumptions and prejudice. No effective regulatory commission should receive a report of unsafe patient care, and then ask the accused physician if it is true, and as soon as the accused physician says "no," they close the case.

This is an incredibly ignorant, literally, without knowledge, method of medical regulation and it is the modus operandi of several, if not all state medical boards. The doctors do not perform literature review to determine if a contested case of care is appropriately. They assume that it is not appropriate, toss the case to their attorney and say "litigate," and then act as if they are protecting the public. Dr. Antoine Adem provided by-the-books, guideline-appropriate medical care, and the medical board did not even bother to ask Dr. Adem his therapeutic rationale prior to initiating litigation against him. The ignorant medical board, again literally, without knowledge of the guideline-appropriate practice of medicine, wasted more than $100,000 of tax-payer dollars trying to prosecute a cardiologist for providing good medical care. The Medical Board's insist that they will continue on a pathway of one-direction communication. That one-direction communications is precisely why we have medical boards that commit fraud and repeatedly, and I emphatically state "repeatedly," reprimand doctors for "by-the-books, FDA-approved medical care."

Patients deserve better than lip service from medical boards that would rather print off twitter reports of their inaction than (1) communicate, or (2) investigate reports of unsafe care.
"Tell me more," can go a long way to reducing medical error and reducing the gross inefficiency of medical regulation. I certainly cannot correct this great system of corruption and injustice on my own. I need to accept responsibility for raising hell about the medical board's refusal to even acknowledge or consider the possibility that patients received unsafe medical care for months.

This is serious business, and we need (1) lawyers; (2) physicians; and even some on the medical boards themselves, to work with, meet with state legislatures and highlight the gross perversion of patient safety and dysregulation that is resulting from the medical board's one-direction manner of communication. A conversation includes at least four directions of communication. That is giving and taking by each person in a group of two. The Medical Boards are concerned legally about the communication they give to others. That is fine, and there is no reason to suggest that they should be placed in a situation where they would be legally jeapordized. However, The one-direction communication from the medical boards has overlooked a critical function of regulatory agencies, the ability to listen. When medical boards pre-judge, based on their prejudices regarding matters of patient safety, it is a fundamental failing of the medical board's mission and purpose. Their mission is to protect the public and ensure qualified doctors are practicing. Most reasonable persons would not likely suggest there is wrong in such a noble aim. However, when the medical board refuses to accept additional information to consider as part of their decision making processes, they are making themselves ignorant of what has occured in reality. The Boards are probably, largely oblivious to this secondary to the position of authority that they wield over doctors. Thankfully, I have no family to support, or I would have become complacent with the patient harm long ago. When one has children to feed, lying about patient care isn't so bad; at least that it what I have gathered by working with people that are placed in situations where they are compelled to lie. This may sound unbelievable to many persons. Please, let me ask you to consider for a moment whether you know with certainty, that all residency programs are similar to the one that you trained at, and please ask yourself, if you know with certainty whether every program director in the country is honest and trustworthy like the program director that you worked for?

I have worked for amazing physicians. It boggles the mind the high level of professionalism that these doctors display. They aren't perfect, they are people, sometimes they say the wrong things, but the big picture, is that these doctors that I have worked for are training teams of other people to become respectable, competent physicians. Indeed, they are training others to become healthcare leaders like themselves.

Those with authority in healthcare do not always manifest the same characteristics of noble leadership as some of the exemplary physicians that I trained under. Nonetheless, the medical boards have rigid understanding of professionalism, and even when there is significant evidence to the contrary, they hold fast to their tiered ideology of expertise and along with that they equate: honesty, integrity, professionalism, ethics and patient safety. Yet, this is not how the world works in reality, and those outside the medical profession (Daniel Goleman, Social intelligence) have recognized that the profession is indeed unsafe and that the strict manner of tiered regulation is likely a contributing factor. In fact, Dr. Goleman, PhD suggests that medical education and medical regulation are even more rigid than the military. Dr. Goleman states that military recognizes the importance of information from front-line soldiers, and that the medical profession is regulated in a manner that is arcane and is very unsafe.

Medical Board members probably look at the high rate of medical error in the country and think, we better reprimand more doctors. Yet indiscriminate harassment of physicians whilst pardoning their own unprofessional actions, such as receiving a speeding ticket is not the answer. The answer to patient safety critically relies on knowledge of the events regarding patient care. I have worked with hundreds of physicians, thousands actually during my time in medicine. Only at one program did I witness reports of concerns about patient care go recklessly neglected. The State Medical Boards assume,... they assume that everyone under their regulation has done their job appropriately and that the more senior the academic title, the more honest the physician. Yet, a review of patient charts, a review of court audio recordings, a review of surgical operating room logs, and a review of the actual matters of patient care will verify that these assumptions having been and can be expected to continue to place patient care at risk.

The Rate of Medical Discipline has gone up in the country, but, the rate of medical error has not gone down accordingly. People ask where is the black box about patient care, similar to those that airplanes have. Well, the black of patient care is partly represented by the patient chart. Yet, instead of reviewing patient charts, the medical board has chosen to review the reports of the Program Director only. Most residency program directors are honest and do not lie under oath. However, the assumptions that the medical board makes, that all program directors are the same, and that all senior faculty are of a similar honesty and competency is, at least a couple of times in my state, the reason that state medical boards are committing fraud and also aiding and abetting doctors that wish to conceal negligence. The best manner is to prevent negligence. The next best thing is to admit and correct it as soon as it is identified.
The reality of medical negligence, is that at some Universities, it occurs, is reported, the reports are ignored, and it continues. Eventually, medical regulators at the national level are notified, a so-called whistleblower (Y.Vidal 2013 How to prevent a hospital from Killing You), and then those that ignored the reports of negligent patient care initially make specious claims to cover up the events. Without a Medical Regulator that is willing to listen and consider, and receive information, these lies about patient care have been, and likely will continue to be covered up, not corrected, and remediated, and will continue to put patients at risk. Yet, when a medical board can show the public a list of people it reprimands, or denies licenses to, there may be the illusion that effective regulation is taking place.

I am nobody important, but I recongize the importance of patients. Their medical care is important, their safety is important, and their lives are important. When medical regulation reprimands for the sake of reprimanding while neglecting to correct critical failings of patient safety, the public is left with what is effectively a sham regulatory system.

Please consider the http://drsocial.org/forums/topic/337/va-scandal-a-congressional-repo
VA Scandal.

Service calls and I must leave.

Kind regards.
someone give me the cliff notes?

I start reading it and suddenly flash back to that epically long speech given by Galt in Atlas Shrugged.

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely NOT the cliff notes, but Brett Snodgrass's story is available online: http://ahc.mo.gov/case/Snodgrass.13-2075HA.KAW.pdf

His story is quite sad. Seemed very successful in medical school (AOA and all that) but failed to match. Then all sorts of badness happened. Story really goes off the rails in Paragraph 44 onwards.

It happens.

My gf is an MD/PhD who has recently worked in retail and pizza delivery in between MCAT tutoring gigs and psych hospitalizations (mostly for suicidal ideation / attempts.) Sometimes, even when you are brilliant and do everything right, life tosses a curveball at you. It is usually not fair. The people who it works out for think that it is just and right that they ended up on top, of course.

If your wife has the option to do anything the Board says that ends with her getting a license, she should do that. Make sure she asks how high they'd like to see her jump. Without a license, she is not particularly employable. My girl is qualified to do a lot more prestigious well paying work than she does, but when they find out that she has an MD and no license, the offers dry right up. Even for community college adjunct teaching gigs. The assumption is that she must be a drug addict or something else terrible if she didn't get a license.

She is going back to school for something totally different, a field where background checks are not so intensive, so that she can just avoid mentioning that she ever went to med school. As her support system and the dude living this with her, let me assure you that being right is an expense you really cannot bear. Jump through those hoops. While she still can.

Status
Not open for further replies.