terminated weeks after promotion, no review, no probation, "due process" behind closed doors?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
someone give me the cliff notes?
Dude got denied a medical license in Missouri because of pretty concerning behavior and is now blaming it on corrupt medical boards who would rather censure physicians acting erratically than deal with the other problems in health care (which is outside of most boards scope anyway).

A board order of that length is almost always good reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Definitely NOT the cliff notes, but Brett Snodgrass's story is available online: http://ahc.mo.gov/case/Snodgrass.13-2075HA.KAW.pdf

His story is quite sad. Seemed very successful in medical school (AOA and all that) but failed to match. Then all sorts of badness happened. Story really goes off the rails in Paragraph 44 onwards.
One of the sad things with that summary is that it looks like his pathology residency really tried to flex the rules for him (we'll call this "remediation" because medical boards care less about that than "probation"), and then got stuck in a situation where they actually needed to go down the termination route.

Definitely NOT the cliff notes, but Brett Snodgrass's story is available online: http://ahc.mo.gov/case/Snodgrass.13-2075HA.KAW.pdf

His story is quite sad. Seemed very successful in medical school (AOA and all that) but failed to match. Then all sorts of badness happened. Story really goes off the rails in Paragraph 44 onwards.

I almost made the cliff notes version of the above document for the edification of my esteemed colleagues here in this thread. But no, this is truly worth a thorough read.

I'm not sure that sad is the right word. The behaviors described from Paragraph 44 forward are ample justification for the Board's action, even if nothing before that had any merit. The picture is of a pattern of aberrant and disruptive behavior.

Reactions: 1 user
That guy is next level unhinged if that story is true

It really is a good read, its not just tiny little complaints but filled with soap opera like drama INCLUDING:

-using electronic media to harass specific individuals
-Personal threats
-tons of lawyer involvement
-BOMB threats

2590117-3823755243-500px.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Almost like a Tolstoi tragedy!

I almost made the cliff notes version of the above document for the edification of my esteemed colleagues here in this thread. But no, this is truly worth a thorough read.

I'm not sure that sad is the right word. The behaviors described from Paragraph 44 forward are ample justification for the Board's action, even if nothing before that had any merit. The picture is of a pattern of aberrant and disruptive behavior.

Now I'm waiting for him to sign up with a bunch of fake handles pretending to be his former PD

Reactions: 5 users
I read this whole thread and I still have a burning question at the end of it - Is there ever a scenario where your PD will not sit down with you and tell you why you got fired? Is there ever a scenario where they ignore your emails?
If you are put on probation/fired for no reason and the PD or whoever isn't talking how does a resident go about obtaining that information?

Basically is it possible for a resident to be left in the dark indefinitely if the program so chooses?

I'm just asking cos the OP said that she tried to get information as to why she was fired multiple times and got no response. I find this inconceivable.

Wow! I could not believe what I read. Honestly, I do not even feel bad for the guy.

Glad you didn't. I was like I'm just going to skim this thing to get the gist. Then a quarter of the way through I was like wait, whaa? and ended up reading the whole thing line by line.

I am even more disturbed by this at the end of the whole Brett Snodgrass thing:

"Applicants who have committed far more serious misconduct have, with the passage of time, demonstrated their rehabilitation and good moral character. Dr. Finch murdered his wife.....All were subsequently licensed after demonstrating their rehabilitation. There is no reason that Snodgrass cannot travel a similar path."

Excuse me, WHAT?!? Granted I haven't looked into this extensively or anything but from my quick googling (http://murderpedia.org/female.T/t/tregoff-carole.htm) Dr. R. Bernard Finch did indeed murder his wife with the help of a woman 22 years his senior that he was having an affair with. He was convicted of first-degree murder but somehow was paroled and SOMEHOW was allowed to practice medicine again. I am literally stunned.

I am even more disturbed by this at the end of the whole Brett Snodgrass thing:

"Applicants who have committed far more serious misconduct have, with the passage of time, demonstrated their rehabilitation and good moral character. Dr. Finch murdered his wife.....All were subsequently licensed after demonstrating their rehabilitation. There is no reason that Snodgrass cannot travel a similar path."

Excuse me, WHAT?!? Granted I haven't looked into this extensively or anything but from my quick googling (http://murderpedia.org/female.T/t/tregoff-carole.htm) Dr. R. Bernard Finch did indeed murder his wife with the help of a woman 22 years his senior that he was having an affair with. He was convicted of first-degree murder but somehow was paroled and SOMEHOW was allowed to practice medicine again. I am literally stunned.
Wow, he served only ten years for premeditated murder and got out to practice again. Sixties must have been a weird time man.

Amazing read, who knew a document from a medical board could turn out so interesting?

Reactions: 2 users
They did lie about the care of many women with breast cancer during my trial, probably unknowingly. It is what it is.

Thanks for making me famous on the forum though.

Dude got denied a medical license in Missouri because of pretty concerning behavior and is now blaming it on corrupt medical boards who would rather censure physicians acting erratically than deal with the other problems in health care (which is outside of most boards scope anyway).

A board order of that length is almost always good reading.

It seems that being a target team member affords sufficient time to google oneself.

Btw Brett, if you have the court case documents I would love to see them, judging by the reactions above.

Last edited:
It seems that being a target team member affords sufficient time to google oneself.

Btw Brett, if you have the court case documents I would love to see them, judging by the reactions above.

+1. I was excited to have something to read with my lunch earlier and was disappointed that the link is 404'd.

99F0FEE1-365A-4A45-B91C-036D9F5017A3.jpeg
The Missouri Board also enabled perjury regarding the care of a patient who had an unnecessary neck dissection.

According to the Board, there was no unnecessary neck dissection in 2010, and reportedly Dr. Snodgrass lied about such a case. However, a brief review of the surgical pathology logs provides sufficient evidence for an investigator to identify the misdiagnosis during frozen section for case S-10-003342.

The “Frozen Section Right Parotid Mass” misdiagnosis of “carcinoma ex-pleomorphic adenoma” - a malignant tumor - resulted in an unnecessary right neck dissection of Levels 2, 3, and 4.

A review of the frozen section slides would reveal a pleomorphic adenoma.

Unfortunately, the medical board used this act of negligence to try and frame me as having lied about it.

See depositions from April 2014.

To err is human, to commit perjury about patient care is...

The medical board acts as both the investigator and prosecutor, selectively introducing and intentionally not introducing evidence relevant to the trial and the care of patients.

The medical board acts as both the investigator and prosecutor, selectively introducing and intentionally not introducing evidence relevant to the trial and the care of patients.

I'm sorry this happened to you, man. I haven't read the court documents but it sounds like you have learned from the experience. That was a poor way to teach security.

Did your PD terminate you two months prior to graduation?

I'm sorry this happened to you, man. I haven't read the court documents but it sounds like you have learned from the experience. That was a poor way to teach security.

Did your PD terminate you two months prior to graduation?
Thank you.
They didn’t renew my contract for my final year of training in pathology. I left UMKC in late June, 2011.

In 2013, The pathology program director “accidently” wrote to the Georgia Composite Medical Board that I was on probation while at UMKC.

However, in 2013, Dr. Thomas Nasca sent me a letter in which he wrote that the DIO informed him that I was never on probation at UMKC...

Last edited:
Thank you.
They didn’t renew my contract for my final year of training in pathology. I left UMKC in late June, 2011.

In 2013, The pathology program director “accidently” wrote to the Georgia Composite Medical Board that I was on probation while at UMKC.

However, in 2013, Dr. Thomas Nasca sent me a letter in which he wrote that the DIO informed him that I was never on probation at UMKC...

I see. I'm sorry. Sounds like a bad situation all around.

Brett, I have been reading some of the documents. Did you actually try to obtain loans using the name of your PD and used her name to make it look like she was seeking rehab for a drug problem?

If true, it is going to be tough to recover from that. Those actions will probably have everlasting consequences.

We all make mistakes. Unfortunately, sometimes these mistakes cause irreparable harm to ourselves or those around us but this doesn't mean that we can't turn that around and be the best person we can be.

I wish you the best!

The word “try” is unclear, I mimicked her activity. For example, in December 2010, the program director wrote that “I was becoming somewhat impaired in the gross room, becoming a risk to patient care,” but she did nothing about it. She made other references in my file to suggest that I might be engaged in illegal and illicit substance activities. I had drug counseling people call her.

Another example is that the pathology program director used my social security number and had the Hospital Laboratory’s College of American Pathologist (CAP) laboratory proficiency testing bill sent to me as a formal, falsified $5,000 tax deductible receipt. I don’t have her social security number, but I sent her credit card applications using the SSN 555-55-5555. (Also, other random numbers).

She had the residency program buy an ophthalmology book, register it in my email address, and then
had a PGY1 resident come to me and ask me if I bought the book... I had a medical journal and business journals sent to her.

I regret my nonviolent and disruptive actions.

Last edited:
Though entertaining, why did you reply to a 2 year old thread in the first place.

Because he won his lawsuit and forced the state to issue him a license. You can read all about it starting on page 364 of the PDF
Ah, gotcha. My other question would be if there is a relationship between this case and the "ever been pushed by an attending" thread by asteroidbody. Early in the report of the PDF of Snodgrass's case it mentions a specific disagreement, accusation of abuse against, and non-lawful run-in, of a surgical pathologist Dr. Lankachandra.

Ah, gotcha. My other question would be if there is a relationship between this case and the "ever been pushed by an attending" thread by asteroidbody. Early in the report of the PDF of Snodgrass's case it mentions a specific disagreement, accusation of abuse against, and non-lawful run-in, of a surgical pathologist.
I don’t know much about asteroid body, but if I were to pick a pseudonymous name, I would pick something somewhat related to Thebesian veins

Last edited:
Because he won his lawsuit and forced the state to issue him a license. You can read all about it starting on page 364 of the PDF

Not sure I can win a case against perjurers. I don’t trust the Missouri Board and I have no intention of seeking a license in their state. People that lie about the care of many women with breast cancer to try and win their court case disgust me.

Last edited:
Ah, gotcha. My other question would be if there is a relationship between this case and the "ever been pushed by an attending" thread by asteroidbody. Early in the report of the PDF of Snodgrass's case it mentions a specific disagreement, accusation of abuse against, and non-lawful run-in, of a surgical pathologist.
If it’s about her, she probably created the account. Framing people who upset her is something she is skilled at. For example, sending me a $5,000 tax-deductible receipt for her hospital’s laboratory proficiency testing. Note, I never said she was a bad pathologist.

Last edited:
I'd venture that posting here still harms him professionally more than it helps him.

Even when a party is "victorious," there are often numerous confidentiality clauses and such for both parties.

Barring that, I am willing to bet that any attorney worth their salt would tell their client to STFU about their case, even when it's a "win."

This sort of dirt is naturally somewhat interesting and possibly even educational for the forum. But probably not a good idea to post about in the first person or in detail.

Reactions: 1 users
The word “try” is unclear, I mimicked her activity. For example, in December 2010, the program director wrote that “I was becoming somewhat impaired in the gross room, becoming a risk to patient care,” but she did nothing about it. She made other references in my file to suggest that I might be engaged in illegal and illicit substance activities. I had drug counseling people call her.

Another example is that the pathology program director used my social security number and had the Hospital Laboratory’s College of American Pathologist (CAP) laboratory proficiency testing bill sent to me as a formal, falsified $5,000 tax deductible receipt. I don’t have her social security number, but I sent her credit card applications using the SSN 555-55-5555.

She had the residency program buy an ophthalmology book, register it in my email address, and then
had a PGY1 resident come to me and ask me if I bought the book... I had a medical journal and business journals sent to her.

:hilarious:

Whether you won or lost or whatever, it's probably not a good idea to post any details or opinions on the case here, under your real name, as this is all potentially discoverable.

Reactions: 1 users
It wasn't really a lawsuit. He appealed the board's decision and lost.

Just a smattering of cut and pasted findings of fact from the decision that I found entertaining:

"Also in September 2010, TMC transcriptionists complained about Snodgrass’ dictation because he dictated too fast, or with a fake Indian accent. They found it annoying and difficult to understand.

Snodgrass caused Lankachandra to receive thousands of e-mails from various sources, including the CDC, FDA, NIH, and usa.gov. Using her name, he subscribed to magazines and made multiple applications for mortgage loans and medical and life insurance. He contacted drug rehabilitation facilities in her name,
indicating that she was seeking treatment for drug addiction.

In May 2013, Snodgrass again became irrational due to his poor job and residency prospects. He anonymously posted two advertisements on Craigslist.org. The ads depicted an individual with a mask and what appears to be a bomb strapped to his chest. The captions are, “Looking for consultant, labor person (Meet at second floor)” and “Rice(in) inside a can, for sale (**** UMKC).” One of the ads also contained the message, “I am looking for someone to help me prepare a special lecture at UMKC- School of Medicine. Please contact me if you can help prepare this academically challenging lecture about . . . a surprise topic and medicine.”

Following the Craigslist posting, TMC and UMKC SOM increased their security measures. FBI agents interviewed Snodgrass and told him the posting could b e viewed as a bomb threat, but no criminal charges were filed against Snodgrass in connection with the postings

In March 2014, Snodgras s began using multiple Twitter accounts to send tweets to the Twitter accounts of various organizations and individuals, including the Missouri State Medical Association, the American Medical Association, Governor Jay Nixon, Senator Roy Blunt, Senator Claire McCaskill, and Dr. Jeffrey D. Carter, a member of the Board.

Examples of Snodgrass’ tweets include the following:

Dear @jeffreydcarter, if you have no idea who I blamed, why did
you write it occurred repeatedly? This is but one of many similar
examples
@jeffreydcarter @FTC please stop regurgitating lies, so I can
move on with my life. If continue abusing discretion I may pursue
legal recourse.

Snodgrass sent the tweets in an effort to evoke a response from the Board, in the hope of inducing it to settle this case. He tweeted from a particular Web site that allowed others to retweet his message. As a result, Carter received hundreds of tweets similar to the above examples"

Last edited:
It wasn't really a lawsuit. He appealed the board's decision and lost.

Just a smattering of cut and pasted findings of fact from the decision that I found entertaining:

Also in September 2010, TMC transcriptionists complained about Snodgrass’ dictation because he dictated too fast, or with a fake Indian accent. They found it annoying and difficult to understand.

Snodgrass caused Lankachandra to receive thousands of e-mails from various sources, including the CDC, FDA, NIH, and usa.gov. Using her name, he subscribed to magazines and made multiple applications for mortgage loans and medical and life insurance. He contacted drug rehabilitation facilities in her name,
indicating that she was seeking treatment for drug addiction.

In May 2013, Snodgrass again became irrational due to his poor job and residency prospects. He anonymously posted two advertisements on Craigslist.org. The ads depicted an individual with a mask and what appears to be a bomb strapped to his chest. The captions are, “Looking for consultant, labor person (Meet at second floor)” and “Rice(in) inside a can, for sale (**** UMKC).” One of the ads also contained the message, “I am looking for someone to help me prepare a special lecture at UMKC- School of Medicine. Please contact me if you can help prepare this academically challenging lecture about . . . a surprise topic and medicine.”

Following the Craigslist posting, TMC and UMKC SOM increased their security measures. FBI agents interviewed Snodgrass and told him the posting could b e viewed as a bomb threat, but no criminal charges were filed against Snodgrass in connection with the postings

In March 2014, Snodgras s began using multiple Twitter accounts to send tweets to the Twitter accounts of various organizations and individuals, including the Missouri State Medical Association, the American Medical Association, Governor Jay Nixon, Senator Roy Blunt, Senator Claire McCaskill, and Dr. Jeffrey D. Carter, a member of the Board.

Examples of Snodgrass’ tweets include the following:

Dear @jeffreydcarter, if you have no idea who I blamed, why did
you write it occurred repeatedly? This is but one of many similar
examples
@jeffreydcarter @FTC please stop regurgitating lies, so I can
move on with my life. If continue abusing discretion I may pursue
legal recourse.

Snodgrass sent the tweets in an effort to evoke a response from the Board, in the hope of inducing it to settle this case. He tweeted from a particular Web site that allowed others to retweet his message. As a result, Carter received hundreds of tweets similar to the above examples
Oh yeah it was all pretty awesome, I think we can all agree that this was an entertaining self-destructive spiral

Status
Not open for further replies.