Terrible first semester freshman year, all As afterwards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnChenko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first semester of freshman year was a disaster. I got 1 C 1 B 1 F and 1 A. I retook the F class over the summer and got an A, and all subsequent semesters were straight As. My course load after freshman year was very challenging, having taken 2 graduate level courses. Is that F grade a deal breaker? I have no idea how I did so bad in first year mathematics.

Members don't see this ad.

You just posted this exact same thing last week and had a response from an adcom that you're fine. No need to make duplicate threads.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess what I was more interested in knowing is how negatively this would affect my admissions. Do you think this would significantly put me at a disadvantage compared to students with a 3.9 but without any upward trend?

I guess what I was more interested in knowing is how negatively this would affect my admissions. Do you think this would significantly put me at a disadvantage compared to students with a 3.9 but without any upward trend?

Both situations (yours, and having a 3.9 with no trend) are fine. By getting all A's since you first semester, you've proven you are academically ready for med school.