Terrible grades in CC... do I still have a chance in this field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4got2floss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 32 units complete at a CC with a 1.8 GPA. Most of the classes are electives and my major was business administration. I haven't taken any science classes and took one math class that I got an A in.

I missed class frequently, didn't do any homework, and didn't take my academics seriously. I took two years off of college, worked a full time job 50+ hrs/week. The time I spent working allowed myself to mature, and realize I need to go after what I've always wanted to do (dentistry).

What steps do I need to take in order to have the best chances of getting into dental school, or is pursuing this path a waste of time due to my negligence?

Members don't see this ad.

Well you are going to need to return to CC(hope they take you, I know some CCs have a min of 2.0), get that gpa up. My concern is 32 units is a lot so even with straight As, which shouldn't be hard at all in CC you might max out at around a 3.0.

Then try and transfer to a state school, continue getting As and you won't be in too shabby of a spot with a great DAT score. Oh and of course do tons of shadowing, dental related volunteering and etc.

tldr version: Get better grades.

Reactions: 1 user
1.8? Damn man....You are going to want to do a post-bac of some sort for sure (and you will need a 4.0 every semester). Throw in a 23+ DAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
While a 1.8 is horrible, it's only 30 credits. So yes, of course you still have a chance. You're just going to need to work your butt off for the rest of your undergrad. I had a 1.8 BCP GPA based off of 20 credits when I started my post-Bacc. Now? After a year of 4.0's, it's a 3.2. By the time I apply next summer, it'll be a 3.5. You haven't even taken a single BCP yet and your sGPA is a 4.0 due to that math class. You're good, but I probably don't need to tell you that you need to make some serious changes to your study habits.

Reactions: 1 user
Since your BCP hasn't been affected, you'll be fine if you do well. You will need to be prepared to answer about the 1.8 though.

Thanks all for the replies, I was really feeling hopeless. I'm currently in process of retaking majority of the classes I've done poorly in, and shooting for straight-A.

Also, has anyone taken their prerequisites at a CC and gotten accepted into a dental program? I know that some dental programs will accept CC credits for prereqs, while others don't, but even if they do accept them, wouldn't they prioritize a candidate that has theirs done at a 4-year institution rather than a CC, or is that not necessarily the case? I'm just trying to figure out if I need to transfer to uni before I start taking my science classes.

You can take your prereqs at a CC but you should do equivalent amount of science courses that are upper level at a 4 year school. If you can avoid taking any more classes at the CC and go to a University then you will be in better shape--so long as you do better. You may need to do a postbacc after.