MCAT Test Prep Week: Ask me anything about how to prep for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello students! Ask us anything!

How do you even begin studying for the MCAT? Where can you find the best MCAT prep? What can you do to prepare for the CARS section? What are some test-taking strategies?

Taking the MCAT is incredibly challenging and a bit daunting, but we are here to help! Ask us any questions you have about preparing for the MCAT, and our experts at Gold Standard MCAT will answer.

Gold Standard MCAT Team

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, Do you have any resources, strategies or tips about how to tackle passage questions in the science sections of the MCAT? I have found a lot of resources for CARS passages but not for bio, chem physics etc. which is what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, Do you have any resources, strategies or tips about how to tackle passage questions in the science sections of the MCAT? I have found a lot of resources for CARS passages but not for bio, chem physics etc. which is what I'm looking for. Thanks.

There are a number of strategies for tackling the science passages and reasoning your way through the questions. If pacing is a concern, try reading the passage without getting stuck in all the details. Skimming the passage and graphs the first time and reading through the questions can help you orient yourself. The questions will all reference something in the passage so you can always go back and read the relevant section more in-depth. If you find it helpful, you can also write abbreviated notes or highlight relevant information while reading.

Try taking a few practice tests to find and perfect a technique. You can take a free MCAT practice test here and try some of these strategies.

I find myself getting discouraged every time I try to study for the MCAT. I believe it is due to how much information I am missing. I am 18 months away from a BA, so I lack a lot of upper level classes such as organic chemistry. I also lack physics, which I now understand to be quite important for the MCAT. Because I have maintained a 4.0 and have a known dedication to my studies, my Gen Chem teacher squeezed me into his class without the required prerequisite (physics).

As a nontraditional student, I feel I need to study harder and longer than my peers to do as well as them. I need to begin my studies now. How do you suggest I begin my studdies? Do you have any tips that would fit this specific scenario?

Members don't see this ad :)
I find myself getting discouraged every time I try to study for the MCAT. I believe it is due to how much information I am missing. I am 18 months away from a BA, so I lack a lot of upper level classes such as organic chemistry. I also lack physics, which I now understand to be quite important for the MCAT. Because I have maintained a 4.0 and have a known dedication to my studies, my Gen Chem teacher squeezed me into his class without the required prerequisite (physics).

As a nontraditional student, I feel I need to study harder and longer than my peers to do as well as them. I need to begin my studies now. How do you suggest I begin my studdies? Do you have any tips that would fit this specific scenario?
The best way to begin and end your MCAT review is with the official source: AAMC (syllabus and practice tests). The last thing you'd want is to end up feeling overwhelmed with a lot of information and mixed opinions about the MCAT from different sources.

The first step is to attempt the AAMC mini test - composed of just 12 questions - to get a "feel" of the types of questions and level of knowledge required for each section. Next, review the official MCAT Guide to familiarize yourself with the official syllabus and do more practice questions. Only then would you be able to follow a study schedule that would fit your preparation needs.

The key to an effective MCAT prep is to combine your content review with short chapter practice questions. This will help you develop the habit of applying your knowledge and reasoning across the different disciplines that are being tested in the MCAT. Problem-based learning (PBL) usually works whether you are a nontraditional student or not.

Once you have covered about two-thirds of your content review, you can gradually start doing full-length practice tests, setting aside 1-2 days of post-test analysis. Leave the rest of the AAMC materials (Full-lengths, Question Packs, Khan Academy passages) for after you complete your review.

For a more detailed guide, please click here: MCAT preparation advice

Can you list the books that i will need to self study ?
Hello, @Jeff_xd . Self-study is really the most personalized form of MCAT prep or any test prep for that matter. So, while we can certainly recommend reliable study materials, it is ultimately up to you to determine which materials work best for you. For a complete list of our recommended study materials, see our MCAT Preparation Advice page at https://www.mcat-prep.com/mcat-preparation-advice/. And if you have any further questions, feel free to contact us by phone at 1-866-333-3138, email at [email protected], or right online via Live Chat at www.mcat-prep.com. Good luck!