CARS Testing Solutions' 30 Day Guide to MCAT CARS Success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you used Testing Solutions passages? What did you think?

• Yes! Very accurate, really like them a lot!

• Nope. I'm here for the free guide and that's it!

• Yes, but they stink. (Oh no....please email us at [email protected] for a refund!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I really need help! i cant finish my passage under 4 mins. And i used to get 5/6 or 6/6 on passages but not i'm getting 1/5 1/6 for some reason. It is discouraging me and putting me back on my schedule :( I am on second week of the guide and had to skip 3 days cause of college exams
** update falling more behind and thinking of taking all 9 passages at once to be at half the pace

Members don't see this ad.

@texan2414 - Thanks for the props! We really appreciate it!

@SweetSunshine2001 - We're hoping to have a way to view PDF versions of our tests online soon. The problem is with piracy, so we have to use the Kindle format. You don't need to have a Kindle to take our tests, all you have to do is download the free Amazon kindle reading app to your computer. The whole process is free and easy to do, and then you just take our practice tests on your home computer. The tests come along with easy instructions on how to take your tests. Let me know if you decide to go for it and need any help!

..::..

Day 9 – How to Use Keywords

Today, we move on to an advanced review technique: Keywords. Over time, developing your ability to see keywords in CARS passages will allow you to intuitively follow the flow of the passage. You'll see when arguments enter or exit. When the author decides to go in a different direction, or when a new contrasting idea is presented. This is one of the least fun skills to develop for the CARS, but it gives one of the biggest pay offs come test day. You can download a keyword table PDF here that will be easier to read than on a small kindle screen. Print it off and keep it close by!

How to Use Keywords:

You’ve got to be really careful with this topic. Two of the country’s biggest test prep companies have the use of keywords as one of the central components of their approaches to the CARS section. I have their two CARS books sitting in front of me, and each has a 30+ page chapter on keywords. Their strategies in this regard suck. They are charging you so much that they feel like they have to sell you a big thick book, so they fill up a chapter or two with keywords. Using keywords while you’re actually taking the test is a really bad idea. If you are consciously trying to remember keywords while you’re testing, you’re going to slow your pace and throw off your timing. The goal of this entire 30-day course is to build within you a CARS intuition, where you just know instinctively how to take a CARS passage at the correct pace, and you just see the right and wrong answers. We’re developing a feel or flow. Having an artificial, piecemeal strategy where you have to remember to do this or that is one of the worst ways to approach the CARS. Don’t do it.

Well…ok, then what do I do? Good question. Follow my recommendations throughout this guide and you’ll develop that intuition. You will. Trust me. I’ve helped many, many students develop this same skill. It just takes practice, time, and good instruction, and you have all three. Well…ok, but what about those keywords? Another good question!

Keywords offer you handholds to climb through your passage. To identify what is important and what isn’t. They allow you to see the twists and turns of the passage, to find the central argument and the author’s conclusions. They tell you how the author feels about this or that. They’re really important for achieving an ultra-high CARS score, but how you integrate them is critically important. If you just try to memorize them, you’re going to be in trouble. From my years of experience training premeds how to read critically, I’ve come to believe in what I’ll call the Keyword Review.

The Keyword Review:

The Keyword Review is pretty simple. You read your passages and answer the questions just like you normally would. When reading the passages, you don’t pay any particular attention to keywords, just read slowly and thoroughly and try to understand the passage as best you can. The review comes in after you complete your passages.

There are three steps:

Step 1: Wait at least two hours between doing the passage and reviewing the passage. I usually recommend you start your studying session with CARS practice, study your sciences, and then end your study session with reviewing your CARS passages.

Step 2: Below, I’m going to give you an exhaustive table of the most important keywords. Print this off and have it in front of you. You’ll also need a set of highlighters with each of the colors used in the keyword table. Now read through your passage again slowly, paying no attention to time. As you see keywords in the passage that are on your list, highlight them in the appropriate color in the passage. If you’re taking the passages online, print them off. It’s important to do the process physically.

Step 3: Immediately following Step 2, repeat Step 2. Especially early on, you’ll be surprised by how many keywords you miss. Be sure to reference the keyword table as you go through the passage. By doing this process repeatedly, eventually keywords will just pop out at you, and you won’t even have to look for them. Towards the end of this month, you’ll start to feel like Neo seeing the numbers that make up the matrix. (Dear God, if this is a dated reference…all is lost. Please don’t tell me you haven’t seen the Matrix!) Then proceed on to reviewing the questions.​

matrix.jpg

Doing this process both trains you to see keywords, but also better prepares you to review your questions. You’ll cut down on the time it takes to review because most missed questions will be those forehead slapping “Should have had a V8” moments. You’ll see instantly where you went wrong.

WARNING: Don’t even think about reviewing a practice passage or practice test until your timing is no longer an issue. If you are still struggling to get through your passages with enough time, you shouldn’t be reviewing practice passages, you should be doing more practice passages. Read over Days 3 & 5 for tips on how to get your timing down.

Keywords:

We’re going to briefly review each category of keywords and how you can use them. You can download a pdf version of the keyword table here. It is also included in the download packet if you purchased this guide in the practice test bundle offer. These are the highest yield keywords on the CARS. (Don’t get overwhelmed. They’re just a tool to help you review. Don’t memorize!)

30_html_m6d9900e0.gif

Continuation – Continuation keywords just tell you that more of the same is coming. The author is going to dig down and explain more about what she was just saying. There are three subcategories of continuation keywords. The first subcategory is More of the Same words group. These do exactly what you think they would. The author is continuing down the same line, he’s going to double down and keep going with, you guessed it, “more of the same.” The second subcategory is the Explanation keywords group. These are words the author might use to further explain and make clearer a difficult or complicated point. It’s saying the same thing, but just in more detail. And finally, the third are the Example keywords which just lead you into an example of what the author is saying. Examples are good for clearing up confusion, but if you’re clear on a point, don’t waste too much time on examples. They’ll be there for you if you need them.

30_html_e74f0ab.gif

Contrast – They do exactly what you’d expect, they indicate a change of course. They contrast one position with another. Of all the keywords on this list, these are the most important, because, for both argumentative and descriptive passages, the author is likely to contrast different positions or viewpoints, and this contrast is a great opportunity for a good question. Keep an eye out for these!

30_html_m4df9b909.gif

Conclusion – Conclusion keywords are pretty obvious, but don’t underestimate them. They will be incredibly useful when it comes to Main Idea questions as well as summarizing a point or position the author is making. The MCAT loves testing your understanding of the conclusions of a passage.

30_html_55e6b3ad.gif

Opinion – This list could go on forever. There are a ton of words that could cue you into the author’s opinion or valuation of a position. Think of these terms as adding color to a black and white objective passage. Could you imagine someone being pissed off at the author? If so, it’s likely he or she introduced an opinion into the passage. Be on the lookout for these keywords that clue you in, as the MCAT has been known to throw in an Author Attitude question every once and awhile.

30_html_m4ef157a0.gif

Timing – We talked about these in detail yesterday, so I won’t spend much time with them here, but remember, timing words allow you to track the development of a particular idea, concept, or field. You’ll want to use these to keep the different phases straight in your head.

30_html_12b449fd.gif

Modality – We also talked about these pretty extensively on Day 7, but modality allows you to judge an author’s position and make an assessment of the strength of support she will need for the argument to hold. If these feel a little uncomfortable, read over Day 7 again.

30_html_2a3560.gif

Comparison – Comparison words will be very common on the MCAT whenever more than one argument, position, or viewpoint is expressed in the passage. These allow you to quickly know who the key players are and which the author believes is strongest.

I know that was a lot for one day! Don’t get stressed out with all these keywords. This is a more advanced technique so don't worry about it until you’ve got your timing down. Remember, only consciously use keywords when you’re reviewing your practice passages. Follow the steps above, and before you know it, you’ll be your own MCAT CARS Neo! You can download the Keywords PDF doc here.

Today's Assignment: Do Two CARS Passages Individually, Under Timed Conditions

Failure is the key to success; each mistake teaches us something new.”– Morihei Ueshiba

....................​

Looking for High Quality MCAT CARS Practice at a Reasonable Price?

I’m not going to say much about our practice tests, because I don’t want this guide to become an infomercial for our products, but I will say that our practice tests currently have over 430+ reviews on Amazon.com with an average rating of 4.5 stars. Our practice tests are the highest rated and most frequently rated CARS practice materials available on Amazon. We have (12) practice tests available (T1-T12). And if you don't want to read this entire guide here on SDN, our bundle offer includes a full-length PDF version of this guide as well as some extras thrown in for good measure.

We’re currently running a 63% off deal on our entire 2018 MCAT CARS Master Course which includes our entire 30 Day Guide and Twelve Full-Length CARS Practice Tests for only $49.95. If you bought these tests and guide individually off of Amazon, it would cost you $130.00, so this is a great deal but one we will only be running for a short time. Check it out below!

Course-Package.jpg
Testing Solutions’ 2018 MCAT CARS Master Course - $49.95

Oh…and we have a 100% money back guarantee that says that if after you take one of our practice tests, you don’t think it is the hardest and most accurate CARS practice test you’ve ever taken, we’ll give you 100% of the price you paid, back no questions asked!
...​
“Excellent resource for additional CARS practice. I started using their guide and was quickly convinced [these] materials [are] the best value for your money possible! These exams are close enough to the AAMC material that I have seen so far that this is an easy buy!”

“I thought that they served as great practice and will definitely prep for any person trying to master cars…Overall I would highly recommend this to anyone, plus the price is extremely reasonable for the value of the exams!”

A lot tougher compared to any other CARS material. Enables true mastery of the skills necessary to be successful in CARS. My scores went from ranging in the 125's to 129's and still improving!
Check Out Our New Online Platform!

Hey! I am no quite sure what you mean by do two passages "individually" do you mean do them separately and not one right after other. like put a stopwatch for 21 mins for 5 and 7 question?

I really need help! i cant finish my passage under 4 mins. And i used to get 5/6 or 6/6 on passages but not i'm getting 1/5 1/6 for some reason. It is discouraging me and putting me back on my schedule :( I am on second week of the guide and had to skip 3 days cause of college exams
** update falling more behind and thinking of taking all 9 passages at once to be at half the pace

@Roudy15 - I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're saying. We recommend that you try to finish reading the passage text in under 4 minutes. This is usually possible (although not always). Doing so leaves you with roughly a minute per question which is more than enough time. Have you noticed any patterns as to why you're missing more questions than usual? Do you feel clueless when you're answering them or are you really surprised by the results? Do you feel like you're rushing more than normal?

As to your second question, there are two ways to time passage blocks. One is to set a timer by adding up all the time for all of the passages you're taking. This allows you to practice pacing. Say you've got to 5 question passages (9 minutes each) and then a 7 question passage (12 minutes). To do them as a group, you'd give yourself 30 total minutes. You'd set the timer for 30 minutes and then do all three passages. To do them "Individually" would mean to set the timer for 9 minutes and do the first passage. When the timer goes off, you set the timer again for 9 minutes and do the second passage. When the timer goes off, you move on to the third passage, setting the timer for 12 minutes. This "individual" approach is useful for building your CARS stamina while also giving you the structure to practice your pacing. We recommend the "individual" timing approach for test takers who have yet to really build a CARS pacing intuition and really struggle to finish tests on time. Timing each passage makes sure you don't fall super far behind while taking multiple passages and it also forces you to have correct pacing. The "group" approach to passage timing is useful because it allows you to better simulate taking multiple passages at once and also allows you to practice the skill of dedicating more time to harder passages while spending less time on the easier ones. This is a more advanced technique so we recommend you wait until your pacing is down before trying it.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
@Roudy15 - I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're saying. We recommend that you try to finish reading the passage text in under 4 minutes. This is usually possible (although not always). Doing so leaves you with roughly a minute per question which is more than enough time. Have you noticed any patterns as to why you're missing more questions than usual? Do you feel clueless when you're answering them or are you really surprised by the results? Do you feel like you're rushing more than normal?

As to your second question, there are two ways to time passage blocks. One is to set a timer by adding up all the time for all of the passages you're taking. This allows you to practice pacing. Say you've got to 5 question passages (9 minutes each) and then a 7 question passage (12 minutes). To do them as a group, you'd give yourself 30 total minutes. You'd set the timer for 30 minutes and then do all three passages. To do them "Individually" would mean to set the timer for 9 minutes and do the first passage. When the timer goes off, you set the timer again for 9 minutes and do the second passage. When the timer goes off, you move on to the third passage, setting the timer for 12 minutes. This "individual" approach is useful for building your CARS stamina while also giving you the structure to practice your pacing. We recommend the "individual" timing approach for test takers who have yet to really build a CARS pacing intuition and really struggle to finish tests on time. Timing each passage makes sure you don't fall super far behind while taking multiple passages and it also forces you to have correct pacing. The "group" approach to passage timing is useful because it allows you to better simulate taking multiple passages at once and also allows you to practice the skill of dedicating more time to harder passages while spending less time on the easier ones. This is a more advanced technique so we recommend you wait until your pacing is down before trying it.

Best of luck!

Thank you for writing back so quickly! I guess the first time i started getting such low score was when i failed to sit in a quite place, midway through the passage people started talking and i still went through it and got that awful result, after that it just kept going on. I do feel clueless when i get to the passage and feel like i need to rush when i hear the passage timer going up. But I am also writing at least a line per paragraph which might be making me slower in reading the passage. Usually takes me around 5 or 7 mins on hard ones. I went back and read "how to pace yourself" and saw that you wrote "Do not go back and look at the passage until your timing is down, as most of the questions are not detail oriented" So i plan on doing that tonight.

@TestingSolutions

Suppose you have a question asking you to predict the subject of the following paragraph at the end of a passage. Any suggestions on how to answer such questions?

I have been reviewing passages as per your instructions, and much to my surprise I have been able to predict the correct answer to questions I get wrong the second time around. How can I translate this into getting the question right the first time? Will it become second nature after enough review?

Your strategy has been very helpful, thank you for taking the time to post it.

Last edited:
Thank you for writing back so quickly! I guess the first time i started getting such low score was when i failed to sit in a quite place, midway through the passage people started talking and i still went through it and got that awful result, after that it just kept going on. I do feel clueless when i get to the passage and feel like i need to rush when i hear the passage timer going up. But I am also writing at least a line per paragraph which might be making me slower in reading the passage. Usually takes me around 5 or 7 mins on hard ones. I went back and read "how to pace yourself" and saw that you wrote "Do not go back and look at the passage until your timing is down, as most of the questions are not detail oriented" So i plan on doing that tonight.

@Roudy15 - I'm terribly sorry! I somehow missed that you had responded. I recommend writing the line per paragraph after you finish the test and are reviewing. I think the writing down eats up too much time you're not likely to use it while answering questions. Writing it after the test though helps you build your summarizing skills which are very useful for doing well on the CARS. And yes, I would recommend you not return to the passage until you are consistently finishing your practice passages on time without having to rush. While you might miss a couple of questions because you can't go back, overall, not rushing through the last couple of passages will yield you more points. And over time, your pacing will level out and you'll get those other questions back anyways. Best of luck!

@TestingSolutions

Suppose you have a question asking you to predict the subject of the following paragraph at the end of a passage. Any suggestions on how to answer such questions?

I have been reviewing passages as per your instructions, and much to my surprise I have been able to predict the correct answer to questions I get wrong the second time around. How can I translate this into getting the question right the first time? Will it become second nature after enough review?

Your strategy has been very helpful, thank you for taking the time to post it.

@Sheiko - Can you give an example of the question type you're referring to? I've never seen one like that. As to the reviewing instructions, if you do this consistently, it will become second nature. What you're trying to do is predict and observer the patterns that make correct answers correct and incorrect answers incorrect. Over time, and this will likely be very gradually, you'll unconsciously begin to see these things and you'll just identify the correct answer more easily than you did before. Unfortunately, the gains in the CARS section are usually pretty slow. Best of luck and let us know if you have any questions/ how we can help!

Day 15 – CARS Question Types: Application

Today, we up it to three passages per day, so every day this week you'll do three passages, resetting the timer after each passage. By now, you should be close to finishing your passages on time or hopefully with a little bit to spare. Make sure that if you're still having trouble finishing on time that you don't allow yourself to go back to the passage after your first pass. Our topic for today is the Application question type. Let’s get to it!

The Application Question Type:

The Application question type is on one of the most common question types on the CARS. The first four question types we covered make up roughly 43% of the questions (22 questions) on the CARS, whereas the Application question type makes up roughly 20% of the CARS or around 10 questions, so be prepared. You’re going to see these questions on test day, but if you practice now, you’ll find them to be some of the easiest when you get to taking the real thing!

Application questions require you to apply information provided in the passage to a new set of circumstances. Sometimes these questions will require you to select which position the author would be most likely to support. Another version of the application question type will ask you to select what the author’s most likely response would be to newly introduced information. Finally, the third most common type of Application question asks you based on information given in the passage to predict an outcome or consequence of some new situation.

The key to Application questions is identifying the connection between the new case or situation and the passage or the author’s position. There will always be a point of connection. Always. Look for similarities between answer choices and the passage. If you cannot find a strong point of connection upon which the Application relies, then the answer choice is wrong. The connections for Application questions have to be clear cut. One of the best ways to attack Application questions is to try and get inside the author’s head and adopt his or her worldview. As you read the passage, try to formulate a picture of the author. What does she look like? What interests her? What political party does she belong to? What issues are important to her? As you formulate this image, you’ll be better equipped to make predictions in applying the passage information to new situations.

If you find yourself being asked to predict a particular outcome, look for causal language in the passage, where particular results must follow from particular causes. Cause and effect language is very important with these types of questions, so keep an eye out for it.

Examples of Application Question Stems:

The author would be most likely to AGREE with which of the following positions?

It was determined that most first year Ph.D. candidates cry during class at least once. The author would most likely respond to this new information by:

Suppose that most pirates did not want to be a pirate when they were young children. Based on the passage, the author would be most likely argue in response to this that:

Which of the following budget proposals would the author be most likely to support?

The author would be most OPPOSED to which of the following assumptions commonly made about robot pirates?

Which of the following situations would the author most likely characterize as similar to the economic conditions that led to the economic downturn of 2008?

If the author is correct concerning the development of social norms in early human societies, the most likely consequence of the author’s position in regards to early childhood development would be:

Tips for Application Questions:

Application Questions require you to reason outside of the passage. The key is to take the positions outlined by the author in the passage and apply them to new situations. For there to be a possible application, however, there must be similarities. If you’re able to identify the similarities, the ways in which the old is similar to the new, you’ll be able to see correct and incorrect applications more clearly.

– Develop a mental image of the author as you read the passage. Have a sense of how the author feels about the material in the passage, but also how he or she might approach different issues more broadly concerned. Would the author be more likely to watch Fox News or MSNBC? Is the author religious or an atheist? A scientist or a philosopher? Try to figure out his values or her beliefs about the world. This will allow you to make a better prediction about what he or she might think about something new.

– How does the new information in the question stem connect to the passage? There has to be a point of connection, or the answer choice can’t be correct. It’s that simple.

– When the CARS gives you a large question stem with a quote or a lot of new information in it, it’s sometimes better to skip ahead to the end of the question where the colon or question mark is to figure out what the question is asking you to do. If you know you’re supposed to be looking for something that opposes this new information right from the beginning; you won’t waste any time having to read and reread the long question stem a few times to make sense of it.

– Words and phrases like Suppose, Consider, Assume, Imagine, or It was determined that, are dead giveaways that you’ve got an application question. Breakdown the question stem into parts, having clear in your mind 1) What’s the question asking me to do and 2) What’s the new information? Sometimes Application questions are huge, and they are easy to get lost in if one isn’t careful from the start!

Ok, we’ve only got a few more days left of question types, so we’re getting there! I know this is boring stuff, but it’s going to pay off. Keep doing your keyword review of your passages, especially now as you’ve upped your daily dose to three passages! We’re really starting to get you there. Before too long, you’re going to be an expert. How’s your timing going? Feel free to leave a question here if you've got one! Thanks for reading and see you back here tomorrow!

Today's Assignment: Do Three CARS Passages Individually, Under Timed Conditions

The starting point of all achievement is desire.”– Napoleon Hill

So I took a break to finish my college, and am coming back to day 15 and i am consistently finishing passages just on time, maybe 15 seconds earlier. However, by my third passage i completely lost what i was reading and missed 5/6 answers. What should i do in such passages? I have noticed loss of concentration or not being able to comprehend what i read at the end of political jargon or philosophy+ politics passage.
Also, my date is in early April, should i start at day 15 or from the beginning. And which test book do you think is most beneficial for full length tests, and social sciences section.

@rraidermd - Thanks : ) I use the previous day's entry as a template so the formatting matches up. I'll keep an eye out for that in the future. I very much appreciate it!

Day 12 – CARS Question Types: Passage Detail

Today, we’re taking up one of the most familiar question types, the Passage Detail question. Many students assume that these questions are some of the easiest on the CARS, and while in many cases they are relatively easy to answer, they can also be the source of a lot of wasted time which can have a major impact on your section score. We’ll show you how to handle these questions to make sure you get them correct while not wasting too much time. Make sure to do your two passages today!

The Passage Detail Question:

Whereas Main Idea questions ask for you to see the big picture, Passage Detail questions ask you to zoom in and test your comprehension of a particular idea or argument laid out by the author. They are fairly common on the MCAT CARS, but not as common as you might expect when using other companies' prep materials. Unfortunately, companies like Exam Krackers and Kaplan, in particular, are known for having a higher than AAMC percentage of passage detail questions. This is really a disadvantage if you are only using these materials to prepare, as it isn’t simulating the actual CARS experience that you’ll face come test day. Thus, practicing with accurate CARS prep materials i.e. reading passages and answer questions on CARS simulated tests is critically important. Kaplan is much worse than Exam Krackers, to the point that I wouldn’t recommend using their materials at all. Exam Krackers is much better but still is deficient in this regard, while in other areas producing reasonably good tests. You’re fine to use them early on when you’re still getting your timing down, but as you get closer to your test date, you’re going to want to start using more accurate CARS prep materials.

There are two keys to answering a Passage Detail question correctly:

1) Identifying what you need to know to answer the question

2) Knowing where to look in the passage for the information you need​

You will get better identifying what you need to know to answer the question as you continue doing practice passages. Eventually, your MCAT CARS intuition will grow so strong that it will just be obvious to you. As to knowing where to look in the passage, this will also come with practice. You won’t have too much difficulty if you remember to read for structure not detail on your first pass. I’m not talking about skimming; I’m talking about understanding the landscape of the passage. What is the author doing in paragraph one? And in two? What is last paragraph about? If you have an idea about where the author discusses the mating patterns of early human societies, it’s not important if you completely understood what the author was getting at on your first read through of the passage. If a question comes up about it, you’ll know where to go.

Warning:

Passage Detail questions are some of the most dangerous on the MCAT CARS section because unlike many questions on the CARS, you know that the answer to the question is right in front of you. If you just keep looking, you’ll eventually find it, the thinking goes. Sadly, so many students fall into this trap and waste five, six, even seven minutes on one question. Even if you do get that question right, you’ve probably just cost yourself two or three points elsewhere on the test. If you do this two or three times on the test, you’ve just ruined your CARS score. It can have a huge impact. So remember, if you run into a hard question:

1) The first time you think to yourself, “I’m spending a lot of time on this question” look at the clock and give yourself 30 more seconds.

2) Eliminate any answer choices you can.

3) After 30 seconds, guess, mark the question for review later, and say to yourself “I’ll come back to this later once I get the easy ones.”​

If you do this, you will have time at the end of the test to come back, and more often than not, giving yourself a little time to clear your head, you’ll see the question anew and what you were missing the first time.

Please, please, get in the habit of doing this on questions that are hard for you. Timing is the number one key to the CARS section, and until you have that down, a 127+ score simply isn’t possible. Trust me on this one. If timing is still a problem for you, which is to say if you have to rush to finish and you don’t have any time left at the end, do not go back to the passage after you finishing reading it. Don’t do it. The reason you aren’t finishing in time is because you’re spending too much time going back. I guarantee that if you do this, you will finish on time and will not see a negative impact on your score. In fact, many students who do this are surprised to find that they actually see an improvement because they aren’t losing out on easy questions because of time pressure.

Examples of Passage Detail Question Stems:

The author states that Picasso believed that:

According to the passage, the American Revolutionary War was fought in order to:

The passage suggests which of the following concerning the impact of educational reforms enacted by Reagan?

The author believes all of the following EXCEPT:

Based on the discussion in paragraph three, Rodin’s approach to sculpture was widely regards as:

Which of the following claims does the author NOT make in the passage?

Which of the following assertions most closely resembles the author’s beliefs concerning the role of the Federal Reserve in the modern US economy?

Tips for Passage Detail Questions:

– Read for structure, not detail on your first reading of the passage.

– Don’t go back to the passage if you’re still having trouble finishing on time. Eliminate the answer choices you can, guess, mark it, and come back later.

– Only go back to look for a detail if you know where it is located in the passage. If you’re just going to do a general review of the passage in the hopes of finding something that will help you answer the question, eliminate the answer choices you can, guess, mark it, and leave it until you’ve finished the rest of the questions in that passage set. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve found the answer to a difficult question while answering another question in the set. Leave the hard ones for the end of the passage, after you’ve spent 5 to 7 more minutes answering the other questions in the set and thinking about the passage. Leave the hardest questions for the end, and they will seem to answer themselves!

– Pick the word you choose to look for when going back to the passage carefully. Don’t pick a word that is generic because it will come up multiple times in the passage, wasting your time. If we’re looking for an answer concerning General Lee’s strategy at Gettysburg, looking for Lee or Gettysburg is probably going to be too generic; however, the word strategy is likely to be connected to the information that you’re looking for. You’ll get better at this with practice.

– Don’t be intimidated by the out of nowhere answer choice. The MCAT will sometimes give you an answer choice that is never referenced in the passage but would seem to be a good answer to the question. Answers to Passage Detail questions have to be in the passage. Thus, the out of nowhere answer choice has to be wrong. They include it to scare you, so you’ll think you missed something and go back and spend another three or four minutes re-reading the passage. Don’t do it. Trust yourself. If you don’t remember it being in there, if you find yourself saying, “Hey, where did that come from?” eliminate that answer choice!

Ok, that’s it for today. Great job! I know going through the question types isn’t the sexiest thing in the world, but it will help you over the long term with your score. How are your daily passages going? Is your timing improving?

The best revenge is massive success.”– Frank Sinatra

Would you have guide on reading for structure? You said above i shouldnt be annotating as that wouldnt be practical in exam setting, so how do i read it while remembering where the author talks about one claim and where he refutes or brings in different examples to support it two paragraphs later? what key parts should i be highlighting? For now i highlight only the keywords, and first time the name of a person is used in the passage.

Hello! I've been using your guide and it's been really helpful. I really enjoyed the break down of the wrong answers and how to look out for them. I've improved from 50% to mid 70% correct after doing about 80 - 90 passages. I still have 4 months until doomsday for me to improve even more, so I am pretty happy! Thank you so much! I have a couple of questions for you though:

I'm on day 26 now and I'm gonna start reviewing my passages. My concern is that school is starting very soon and I'm afraid I wouldn't have much time dedicated to review all the passages taken (19 credits next semester.....fml). Is it okay to review one or two passages that have questions I missed the most? Is there another faster and more time-efficient way to review?

Secondly, the guide also said I must finish reading a passage in 3-4 minutes, if not then I have to go back doing individual passages again. I'm a slow reader. I take around 5-6 mins to read a passage and longer for a hard passage in order to get a good grasp on the author's main idea and tone. But when I answer questions, I usually fly through them; I don't refer back to the passage at all and I don't get bogged down with hard questions. In the end I always finish my first pass with 1-2 minutes to spare per passage. Do you think I should still go back doing individual passages even though I have no trouble with timing?

Finally, as I mentioned above, I finish quite fast. I think maybe it's too fast. I just did a 6-passage block and finished first pass with 15 minutes to spare. Do you think I should slow down and review my answers a little bit after I finish each passage? Or should I keep going at my speed and use the large amount of spare time at the end to go over all the marked questions for all the passages I have?

Hello! I've been using your guide and it's been really helpful. I really enjoyed the break down of the wrong answers and how to look out for them. I've improved from 50% to mid 70% correct after doing about 80 - 90 passages. I still have 4 months until doomsday for me to improve even more, so I am pretty happy! Thank you so much! I have a couple of questions for you though:

I'm on day 26 now and I'm gonna start reviewing my passages. My concern is that school is starting very soon and I'm afraid I wouldn't have much time dedicated to review all the passages taken (19 credits next semester.....fml). Is it okay to review one or two passages that have questions I missed the most? Is there another faster and more time-efficient way to review?

Secondly, the guide also said I must finish reading a passage in 3-4 minutes, if not then I have to go back doing individual passages again. I'm a slow reader. I take around 5-6 mins to read a passage and longer for a hard passage in order to get a good grasp on the author's main idea and tone. But when I answer questions, I usually fly through them; I don't refer back to the passage at all and I don't get bogged down with hard questions. In the end I always finish my first pass with 1-2 minutes to spare per passage. Do you think I should still go back doing individual passages even though I have no trouble with timing?

Finally, as I mentioned above, I finish quite fast. I think maybe it's too fast. I just did a 6-passage block and finished first pass with 15 minutes to spare. Do you think I should slow down and review my answers a little bit after I finish each passage? Or should I keep going at my speed and use the large amount of spare time at the end to go over all the marked questions for all the passages I have?

@Iceleve Do you read for structure or just everything the first time you read the passage?

@Iceleve Do you read for structure or just everything the first time you read the passage?

Hi! Sorry for not responding quickly! I was travelling in China.

I actually don't really know what reading for "structure" means. I read to understand what the passage is talking about so I know what the author's opinion is on the topic. I then answer questions using the main idea, the author's attitude, and the tone, which comes naturally to me once I have a good understanding of the passage. I also keep a mental note on which paragraph talks about what while reading so when there's a detail question, I know where to go. I guess I do read for structure?

I guess when you are reading a passage, reading everything and at the same time take mental notes on how does the author feel about this topic at hand. What is the author's opinion on this topic? Does he think coffee is the greatest thing ever invented? Or he thinks he's a failure at missing out opportunities in life? I think at the end of the day, these passages are just people's opinions on different topics and they want to have their opinions heard so they wrote these long boring essays on stuff we don't care about.

Members don't see this ad :)
@TestingSolutions I cannot find the five EK Full-length MCAT Exams to buy anywhere online. Do we have to buy their $300 MCAT package in order to just get the exams? If we can buy the exams alone, can you please post a link or directions to help me find where they would be sold?
Thanks!

When doing the passages, during week 3 are we supposed to do keyword review for all the passages? Also, how to be more efficient with the keyword review? I find myself going back and forth between the keyword pdf and my passage which seems way more time consuming and I still feel like I am not highlighting all of them after reading twice? Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
Hello @TestingSolutions ,

How important is it that we do the keyword review? I am currently studying for a retake. I used this 30day guide for my first attempt but honestly didn't bother doing the keyword review tactic. I feel like the guide helped improve my timing temporarily but after a while it digressed

I did the practice test 1 for TS and the passages are a lot shorter than EK 101. I ran out of time for EK but was good on timing for the TS practice... most likely because the passages are so damn long in EK. What is more representative of the MCAT CARS? Shorter passages like in TS, or longer like in EK?

So I took a break to finish my college, and am coming back to day 15 and i am consistently finishing passages just on time, maybe 15 seconds earlier. However, by my third passage i completely lost what i was reading and missed 5/6 answers. What should i do in such passages? I have noticed loss of concentration or not being able to comprehend what i read at the end of political jargon or philosophy+ politics passage.
Also, my date is in early April, should i start at day 15 or from the beginning. And which test book do you think is most beneficial for full length tests, and social sciences section.

@Roudy15 - Sorry for the slow response. I'm an M2 at Stanford and have been crazy busy with school.

I would really encourage you to start stair stepping your passages. Do three passages together. If you're wanting to do more practice than that, do another three passage block. Once you feel like you're no longer experiencing that fatigue. Try doing four passages together. For most people, it's nearly impossible to stay focused for 9 CARS passages in a row at the beginning of your studying. By slowly working your way up, over a longer period of time, which you have because your test date is so far out, I think you'll gradually see improvement.

Regarding political jargon/ or philosophy, do you feel it is a vocabulary problem you're having? Or it's just hard to read through those passages for you? I'd recommend keeping a word list that you can add to as you come across words you don't know. If it's more the latter where those topics are just difficult for you, you can try to look for the political and philosophy passages in whatever resources you're using to practice. Pay extra attention to those passages and if you have a way of knowing what the passage is before you start (like we put the general passage category in the title of our passage quizzes so you can identify what type of passage it is) you can just focus on those types of passages.

Whether to start over or not depends on how much you took to heart on your first pass of the first 14 days. If you feel like you're consistently doing the lessons we outlined, I'd recommend you keep going through the guide. You've given yourself enough time that if you need to, you can always circle back. But if you find yourself having trouble letting go of hard questions or using keywords to actively guide your reading of the passage, I'd recommend you circle back and start over.

Regarding which CARS resources, I'm obviously biased as we are a CARS company, but in regards to the other sections, I've heard a lot of good things about the EK exams and that's why we recommend them. But I don't want to get too far out of my lane on the high because CARS is what we specialize in and what I know best.

Best of luck and keep the questions coming!

Warmest,
Nick

Would you have guide on reading for structure? You said above i shouldnt be annotating as that wouldnt be practical in exam setting, so how do i read it while remembering where the author talks about one claim and where he refutes or brings in different examples to support it two paragraphs later? what key parts should i be highlighting? For now i highlight only the keywords, and first time the name of a person is used in the passage.

@Roudy15 - When we talk about reading for structure, one of the easiest ways to do this is to watch out for keywords the author uses to signal which direction he or she is going in as well how he or she things about a particular topic. I'd recommend reviewing Day 9 – How to Use Keywords where we go into detail about how to improve and practice using keywords. Beyond this though, when we say "read for structure" we also mean that you shouldn't be worrying about paying super close attention to the details of the passage but instead the main ideas of the passage. A lot of companies don't do this, but in the review sections of each of our practice tests and passages, we summarize the main idea or point of each paragraph and walk you through how we would break down the passage. We outline on Day 29 – Putting it All Together: How to Review an Entire CARS Practice Test
how to use these summaries to practice reading for structure and what's important. You can always go back and check passage details if a question requires you to (they rarely do on the CARS). But mastering all of the details of the passage is a huge waste of time and will just rob you of points on test day.

As to what to highlight, I don't think you should ever highlight more than a few words. The purpose of highlighting is to put a flag in the ground that will allow you to easily reference that information if you have to come back later. It really shouldn't be used to remind you of something that is "important" like most people use it. You should have very clear in your mind what is important in the passage. That is exactly the sort of stuff you're supposed to be paying attention to. The highlight feature is to remind you "Oh 'position A' makes it's arguments here against 'position B' new education problem." In that case, highlighting where 'position A' argument begins and where 'position B' defense begins would be useful and allow you to quickly return to the passage. It also allows you to keep clear who is saying what and not confuse the different camps.

I think highlighting the keywords is okay for now, I wouldn't recommend it longer time. I'd really recommend you do the keyword review that we outline on Day 9 instead as highlighting words isn't recommended during test day as it takes up too much time. And I really believe you should practice in the same way you plan to perform. Otherwise, you're just building bad habits. Thanks for the great questions!

@IceIvee - Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad to hear that the guide has been useful so far!

I think it's fine to review one or two of the hardest passages. I'd recommend still summarizing each paragraph of every passage you take (after you finish the passage and are reviewing) as well as using our Painting to the Main Idea approach. Everyone one of our practice passages has this written out so you can check what you wrote down with ours. I don't think other companies do, but it would be good if you could find that. I think the breaking down of the passage (which is what this type of practice does) is the best way to improve your CARS score. So lets say you take 5 passages. I'd recommend you review in detail 1 or 2 of those passages, and then for the other three, just work on the passage as I've outlined, ignoring the questions.

As my grandfather likes to say, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. If you're not having problems with your timing and you're not having to rush through your questions to answer correctly, than I wouldn't worry about how much time it takes to read the passage. With that said, you might be missing a few questions that you wouldn't miss if you spent a little extra time on the questions. I can relate to being a "slow reader." It's always taken me longer to get through articles and books than most of my peers. With that said, over time, and with pushing myself (gently) to keep moving through the passage, I was able to find a happy medium. It's really hard to spend more than 5 or 6 minutes on a CARS passage (which is 500 to 600 words) without re-reading sentences or going back (even while you're reading the passage for the first time). I think it is important to keep yourself moving through the passage even if you're finishing the test on time. I say this, because your score may begin to stall out if you don't start spending a little more time on those harder questions. Some questions on the CARS will require you to take 3 minutes to figure out. There are only a few of them, and for most people who just want a great score, but not a super high score, they can trash those questions and take a guess. If you're shooting for a really high score, you'll need to give yourself that cushion of time to figure it out. With that said, it sounds like you're continuing to make progress, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I would spend the extra time going back through marked questions. One of the most useful things about the marked questions approach is that often, just taking a moment away from thinking about the question, will allow you to see it in a different way. You could have sat there for 5 more minutes straight and not thought of it, but because you stepped away and came back, you see the question in a different way. Furthermore, if you've completed all the questions in the passage, you may well have picked up on something in a future quesiton that helps you answer the one you marked. I think it's always better to move swiftly (not rushing but swiftly) on your first pass and then spend the rest of the time on the hardier questions you marked.

Best of luck on your MCAT and keep the questions coming!

Hi! Sorry for not responding quickly! I was traveling in China.

I actually don't really know what reading for "structure" means. I read to understand what the passage is talking about so I know what the author's opinion is on the topic. I then answer questions using the main idea, the author's attitude, and the tone, which comes naturally to me once I have a good understanding of the passage. I also keep a mental note on which paragraph talks about what while reading so when there's a detail question, I know where to go. I guess I do read for structure?

I guess when you are reading a passage, reading everything and at the same time take mental notes on how does the author feel about this topic at hand. What is the author's opinion on this topic? Does he think coffee is the greatest thing ever invented? Or he thinks he's a failure at missing out opportunities in life? I think at the end of the day, these passages are just people's opinions on different topics and they want to have their opinions heard so they wrote these long boring essays on stuff we don't care about.

@IceIvee & @Roudy15 - That's awesome about China! My brother lived there for awhile and I was fortunate enough to visit twice. I really loved it. Much, much better than MCAT studying :)

I think you intuitively do know what we're trying to talk about when we say for "reading for 'structure.'" It's essentially what you said. Keeping track over the large ideas, beliefs, and feelings of the author over the whole arch of the passage and keeping a clear sense of where the author talks about what, so when/if there is a detail question, you have a good idea of where to go. Many students feel like the path to doing well on the CARS is mastering the passage as they read it. So they worry if they don't get every little detail. They end up wasting a lot of time understanding material they aren't going to be tested on. Reading for structure pays attention to the structure of the house, the layout of where the rooms are, and maybe even some of the big furniture (e.g. bed, coffee table, bookshelf), but reading for structure completely ignores the little things (e.g. the rug, size of the TV, how many pillows are on the couch).

You guys are having a great conversation about one of the key ingredients to doing well on the CARS. Keep the questions coming! Best of luck

@TestingSolutions I cannot find the five EK Full-length MCAT Exams to buy anywhere online. Do we have to buy their $300 MCAT package in order to just get the exams? If we can buy the exams alone, can you please post a link or directions to help me find where they would be sold?
Thanks!

@T-Eazy7 - It looks to me like they've raised their prices recently and yeah, it is I think $250 for their exams. I do think they are currently the best full-length practice exams (although their CARS isn't awesome). I am going to do some more research as that's pretty pricey. Thanks for the heads up. I'll post back on here when I find a better substitute.

Best of luck on the MCAT!

When doing the passages, during week 3 are we supposed to do keyword review for all the passages? Also, how to be more efficient with the keyword review? I find myself going back and forth between the keyword pdf and my passage which seems way more time consuming and I still feel like I am not highlighting all of them after reading twice? Thank you

@Unicorn_Doc - Great questions. I'd recommend you limit yourself to two passes. You might not get every single keyword, but you'll get the majority of them and over time, you'll get much better at it. I'd do the keyword review until 1) you're no longer having time trouble in finishing your passages and 2) you start to really notice the keywords while you're actually taking passages. With this second point, you're not going to be highlighting them, but you'll notice as you read that when you see the word "and" you'll think to yourself "okay, she's going to continue on the same line of thought" or when you see "but" you think "oh she's about to go in a different direction."

The keyword review is to give you practice at looking at the passages in a different way. It doesn't need to be perfect, just thorough. That's why we recommend twice. Most people find it useful to print off the keyword review document and have it by them when they're going through the words. You can download it here!

Best of luck on your MCAT! Keep the questions coming!

Hello @TestingSolutions ,

How important is it that we do the keyword review? I am currently studying for a retake. I used this 30day guide for my first attempt but honestly didn't bother doing the keyword review tactic. I feel like the guide helped improve my timing temporarily but after a while it digressed

@aayz345 - I really recommend you focus on doing it until you start to see the keywords in the passage pop out at you.

Here's the post: Day 9 – How to Use Keywords

I've also included a link here to the keyword PDF doc. We recommend you print it out as you're going through and highlighting the passages.

As to keeping the gains on timing, it's just important to keep good, clean habits in regards to what you allow yourself to do on the CARS. Usually people start out with good discipline regarding our techniques, but as they go along, they kind of forget to continue the good habits. We have a summary post on the high yield points here: Day 25 – How to Take a CARS Full-Length Practice Test and a tip sheet here that you can download and keep by you as you take your passages.

Best of luck!

I did the practice test 1 for TS and the passages are a lot shorter than EK 101. I ran out of time for EK but was good on timing for the TS practice... most likely because the passages are so damn long in EK. What is more representative of the MCAT CARS? Shorter passages like in TS, or longer like in EK?

@SG32 - I can't speak to the length of EK 101 passages as I haven't counted the words, but I know 100% that our passages are the correct length compared to the AAMC CARS passages you'll face on test day. The AAMC CARS passages are within 500 to 600 words of length. And we essentially make sure each one of our passages is within that window. Once in a long while, they might be over or under 40 or 50 words, but really never more than that. When you are reviewing one of our passages, you'll see in the solutions section for the passage, that we include a word count so you have an idea of how long the passage was.

It's possible the EK folks are including longer passages. Including longer passages is one way to make your test more difficult as people will struggle to finish, but it isn't representative at all of what you'll face on test day. Our passages are 500 to 600 words just like the AAMC's passages so you should expect to see those lengths of passages on test day. Best of luck!

Thanks for the replies! At this point im doing better overall but my incorrect answers are spread out evenly at average of getting 2 wrong. Recently i took a full 8 hour practice exam and in this one passage i got really stuck because i understood the passage very well but not the question and i kept re reading different points of passage to deduct the options and that took me 3 mins extra and i couldnt make this 3 mins up and tried to use the 'read first and last sentence of every paragraph' to catch up on the very last passage where i missed 4 questions. So my question is when is it really okay to go back to a question. I know this is stupid but i mark the hard question and then go back to it as soon as im done with my other questions regarding the passage and waste extra time in that passage anyways. But i feel like if i dont attend to it, ill forget the passage and it will be of no use if i come back to it at the end. Also, I really dont highlight at all.
I highlight just the first appearance of name, and try to give myself a second after each paragraph to think about what i just read- as in the main idea or the argument. This takes me a little more than 4 mins to finish the passage but it seems i can pin point where the information is and makes me understand the over all idea of the passage. Is this good? I circle keywords during review but they dont pop out as often, thats why i was asking if you had a worked out example of "reviewing" your worked passage.
Also, im starting to make notes on "why i missed the question" and some questions i just dont know what to put for, they just seem like i was thinking from a different perspective at a time, often stupid mistakes, but more frequently than i want. I am following all the review steps, but i cannot distinguish between some of my answers and the right answer and makes me question the wording of the Question itself. I have been using the Next Step CARS, if i find any such question on Testing Solutions ill link it.

I am excited to try out all 14 Full length from testing solutions, and hope they have good review for wrong answers. Ill be starting it this month, already got the material! :D
Hope you're doing great at Stanford!

@TestingSolutions Do you have any advice on improving the accuracy for in-text questions? What about least supported in the passage questions. I know the general consensus is to not go back and look into the passage. But I feel as if these two question types ask more for detail and aren't linked to the main idea that much.

Hi there! i need help and input! I am 5 months away from my mcat. i struggle the most with cars. i score in the low 120s each time. I do fairly decent with 2 passages daily but the minute i do a full length its like i lose all my hardwork put into cars. i also feel so mentally fatigued. Idk what to do. i'm thinking the only way ill really improve is if i do cars simulating testing enviroment each time and then check my cars exam that week and do another nine passages in a row. the only thing i have not done enough is simulate testing environment for cars. that seems to be the thing i need to do now. i just really want to see myself improve.

Reactions: 1 user
Testing Solutions' 30 Day Guide to MCAT CARS Success

How to Use this Guide:

For most students, the CARS section will be the most difficult section they'll face on test day. As pre-meds, most of us know how to study. We know how to memorize details and facts, and how to apply what we know under new conditions. We are not; however, particularly good at the soft skills the MCAT CARS section tests. To make matters worse, most students do not know how to study for the CARS section. They don't know what to practice, how to review, how many passages to do or even when to do them. They do some passages here and there, try this strategy then that, but they never get to the point that they feel comfortable or adequately prepared to do their best on the CARS section. This guide will answer all your questions and even some you didn't know you had. It's meant to be exhaustive and provide you with everything you need to know to achieve an ultra-high CARS score. It is your step by step guide to getting you from the couch to MCAT CARS success.

Just a little bit about me to let you know my qualifications. I'm going to be an M1 at Stanford Medical School this fall (2016). I’m also the lead test writer for Testing Solutions, LLC. I’ve spent well over 1,700+ hours writing practice passages and questions sets and analyzing the AAMC’s released verbal and CARS practice materials in order to identify the patterns the AAMC uses when they construct their tests, as well as the most commonly seen answer traps they set for you. I’ve written 80+ passage and question sets from the ground up. I scored in the 99% percentile on the MCAT and have taught courses and was a private tutor for the country’s largest MCAT prep company. I got tired of their sub-par materials and highway robbery approach to preying on premeds fears to make a buck (As well as their preying on me. One of my tutoring students paid $175 an hour to work with me, and I was paid $30), so I left to start Testing Solutions, LLC.

This is the only guide you'll need to get the score you want on the CARS section. I've read most of the other guides out there and the major forum threads on MCAT Verbal/ CARS. I've gathered all of the best ideas so you don't have to. I've weeded through the junk and have solidified the lessons, tips and tricks that have worked for my students over the years. In truth, the most important factor in determining your CARS score is the number of passages you do. I did over 400 passages when I was studying for the MCAT myself. There is no way around it. You have to do a ton of passages in order to strength the skills the CARS section tests. With that said, if you read this book one day at a time, master everything we discuss, AND do way more practice passages than you think a sane person would ever you, you are going to do well on the CARS section. The key is to give yourself a ton of time and to do a ton of practice. If you're able to do this for yourself, you have everything you need to do well on the CARS.

One final note, if you have a question about this guide or the CARS section in general, we look at this thread often so please feel free to leave any questions you may have or use it just to check in. We'll usually respond within a day.

Table of Contents | Schedule to MCAT CARS Success:

While our study guide is 30 days long, most MCATers will need roughly 90 days to get to an MCAT CARS score they'll be happy with. I've outlined the schedule I recommend to my students below, as well as the materials that you'll need to complete the schedule.

Here Are the Materials I Recommend:
  • Get either Exam Krackers 101 Passage in MCAT Verbal Reasoning (EK101) or The Princeton Review's Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook (TPR)

• Testing Solutions CARS Practice Tests T1-T10
Phase I - For the first 30 days, while you cover the major strategy points in this guide, I recommend you use passages from either EK 101 or TPR. In this phase of your preparation, you'll do a total of 69 passages. I'll explain how and when to do these passages in the guide.

Phase II - In the next 30 days, you'll take 14 CARS Full-Length Practice Tests. I recommend using Testing Solutions' Practice Tests (T1-T12) as well as your remaining passages from EK101 and TPR. You'll also use the AAMC Question Packs. In this phase, you'll do 126 passages.

Phase III - In the final 30 days, your CARS prep will largely be integrated with your taking of full-length MCAT practice tests. I have you taking all three of EK's full-lengths, four of Next Steps' full-lengths, and the two available AAMC practice tests. There are break days built in so. One some break days, you'll do one passage, just to keep you sharp, while on other break days, you'll just rest. In this final phase of your preparation, you'll do 85 passages. Thus, if you follow this schedule to the “T,” you'll do 361 CARS practice passages. If you do that many practice passages, and follow the techniques I outline in this guide, you'll come as close to a guarantee of scoring 129+ on the CARS section as is possible. I have never had a student that has actually followed this schedule and not be happy with their score.

This schedule was designed to fit into whatever general schedule/ approach you're employing for the other three sections. Most days, you'll spend around an hour and a half on CARS, but sometimes more will be required. The key to mastering the CARS is to do a little bit each day. You cannot cram for the CARS. This section must be respected. Just like how you eat an elephant, remember that it's just one bite at a time, one day at a time. WARNING: Do not get behind on this schedule. If you're worried about that, build in some extra break days at the end of the schedule (Which is to say, start this schedule 100 days out from your test instead of 90, however, the compressed and rigorous nature of this schedule does build your stamina and prepares you for the rigors of test day, so don't let too much time lapse between practice tests.) It is not possible to do two days in one to catch up.

TIP: For those of you who will be going through this guide on a daily basis, it can be time-consuming to find the correct day's post due to all the questions. We've created a "Table of Contents" PDF which has links to each post. You can use the PDF to jump directly to the post you're on. Download your "Table of Contents" here! If you don't want to bother with reading this guide on SDN, our Practice Test Bundle includes a high-quality PDF version of this guide as an added bonus. Check it out here!

Week I:

In Week I, you'll do one passage per day.

Day 1 – The Plan/ Getting Your Materials
Day 2 – Breaking Down the MCAT CARS Section
Day 3 – Reviewing/ Timing
Day 4 – MCAT CARS Myths: The “Don'ts”
Day 5 – How to Approach the MCAT CARS Section – The Passage
Day 6 – Passage Types: Argumentative
Day 7 – Argumentation: Modality

Week II:

In Week II, you'll do two passage per day, timed individually.

Day 8 – Passage Types: Descriptive

Day 9 – How to Use Keywords
Day 10 – Health, Wellness, and Stress Management – The Second Key
Day 11 – CARS Question Types: The Main Idea
Day 13 – CARS Question Types: Implication
Day 14 – CARS Question Types: Inference *Break -Don't do any passages today.

Week III:

In Week III, you'll do three passage per day, timed individually.

Day 15 – CARS Question Types: Application
Day 16 – CARS Question Types: Integration of New Information
Day 17 – CARS Question Types: Attitude
Day 18 – CARS Question Types: Meaning of a Term
Day 19 – CARS Question Types: Author Technique
Day 20 – CARS Question Format: Negation Questions
Day 21 – CARS Question Format: Roman Numerals *Break -Don't do any passages today.

Week IV:

In Week IV, you'll do four passage per day until the 25th and then do five passages per day. Do the passages consecutively, timed together.

Day 22 – CARS Answer Pathologies – Part I
Day 23 – CARS Answer Pathologies – Part II
Day 24 – CARS Answer Pathologies – Part III
Day 25 – How to Take a CARS Full-Length Practice Test
Day 26 – How to Review a CARS Passage
Day 27 – How to Review CARS Questions
Day 28 – How to Review CARS Answers *Break - Don't do any passages today.

Week V:

You'll do six passages on Day 29 and Day 30. Do the passages consecutively, timed together.

Day 29 – Putting it All Together: How to Review an Entire CARS Practice Test
Day 30Advanced Study Techniques
Day 31 – 9 Passages from EK101 or TPR (90 Minutes)
Day 32 – Review 9 Passages
Day 33 – 9 Passages from EK101 or TPR (90 Minutes)
Day 34 – Review 9 Passages
Day 35 – *Break - Don't do any passages today.

Week VI:

Day 36 – 9 Passages from EK101 or TPR (90 Minutes)
Day 37 Review 9 Passages
Day 38 – T1 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T1
Day 39 – Review T1
Day 40 – T2 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T2
Day 41 – Review T2
Day 42*Break - Don't do any passages today.

Week VII:

Day 43 – T3 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T3
Day 44 – Review T3
Day 45 – T4 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T4
Day 46 – Review T4
Day 47 – T5 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T5
Day 48 – Review T5
Day 49 –*Break - Don't do any passages today.

Week VIII:

Day 50 – T6 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T6
Day 51 – Review T6
Day 52 – T7 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T7
Day 53 – Review T7
Day 54 – T8 – Testing Solutions CARS Full-Length Practice Test T8
Day 55 – Review T8
Day 56*Break - Don't do any passages today.

Week IX:

Day 57 – (9) Passages from AAMC CARS Question Pack (90 Minutes)
Day 58 – Review CARS Practice Test Question Pack
Day 59 – (9) Passages from AAMC CARS Question Pack (90 Minutes)
Day 60 – Review CARS Practice Test Question Pack
Day 61 – (9) Passages from AAMC CARS Question Pack (90 Minutes)
Day 62 – Review CARS Practice Test Question Pack
Day 63 – *Break - Don't do any passages today.

Week X:

Day 64 – (9) Passages from AAMC CARS Question Pack (90 Minutes)
Day 65 – Review CARS Practice Test Question Pack
Day 66 – Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 1
Day 67 – Review Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 1
Day 68 – Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 2
Day 69 – Review Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 2
Day 70 – *Break - Do (2) Passage from AAMC CARS Question Pack

Week XI:

Day 71 – AAMC Official MCAT Sample Test
Day 72 – Review AAMC Official MCAT Sample Test
Day 73 – *Break – Don't do any passages today.
Day 74 – Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 3
Day 75 – Review Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 3
Day 76 – *Break - Do (2) Passage from AAMC CARS Question Pack
Day 77 – AAMC Official MCAT Practice Exam (Scored) 1

Week XII:

Day 78 – AAMC Official MCAT Practice Exam (Scored) 1
Day 79 – *Break - Do (2) Passage from AAMC CARS Question Pack
Day 80 – Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 4
Day 81 – Review Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 4
Day 82 – *Break - Do (2) Passage from AAMC CARS Question Pack
Day 83 – AAMC Official MCAT Practice Exam (Scored) 2
Day 84 – AAMC Official MCAT Practice Exam (Scored) 2

Week XIII:

Day 85 –*Break – Don't do any passages today.
Day 86 – Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 5
Day 87 – Review Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 5
Day 88 – (5) CARS Passages from AAMC Study Guide
Day 89 – *Break – Don't do any passages today.
Day 90 – Test Day

Oh NO!! My test is in XX Number of Days:

Despite our best laid plans, sometimes things don't turn out the way we intend. I often get emails from students telling me that their test is in a week or in a month asking what they should do. The following is my best advice if you find yourself in such a situation.

Emergency #1 – My Test is in a Week:

So your test is in a week and your score still isn't where you'd like it to be. What do you do? If you aren't close to your target score, my first recommendation would be to push your date back. I know this costs money and time, and it is not what you hoped for nor expected, as it may well throw off your plans/ schedule for applying to med school. But the MCAT is the single most important factor in your application. It is not the only factor, but it is hands down the most important factor. The rest of your application may be great, but a poor MCAT score will hurt even the strongest of applications and at some schools, if you don't make their “cut” score, your application might not even be reviewed. It is unfortunate that one day's test scores can undo years of research, volunteering, and all the hard work that goes into a strong GPA, but the truth is that your MCAT score very much can. It is not something to play with. This is the single biggest mistake most premeds make when it comes to their medical school application, and it costs many of them a shot at their dream career. If your test is in a week and you haven't scored within a scaled point of the lowest score you'd be pleased with on the CARS, my recommendation would be to delay the test for at least six weeks. Even if it means having to take a year off. Once you have a poor MCAT score attached to your name, every score after that score, no matter how high, will have your low score sitting right above it casting a shadow on all future attempts or hard work. Don't do that to yourself, unless you absolutely have to take the risk.

The only situation in which I could possibly recommend you taking such a risk would be when 1) You absolutely have to take the MCAT at this particular time, 2) You'd be happy/ overjoyed with attending a lower mid to lower tier school, 3) Your other three sections are strong (127+) and you can reasonably trust that your other sections will be able to carry some of the weight if your CARS score doesn't, and 4) you would be ok with a 125 on the CARS. As for your school selections, if you do have to retake because of a bad score, your initial low score will not have as major of an impact on your application if you're applying to a lower mid to lower tier school. If you have your heart set on Harvard, Yale, University of Chicago or some other top tier school, or even many mid-tier schools, you simply cannot take the risk of having a low MCAT score on your application. Top 15 schools simply have too many good applicants to choose from. If you're ok with a 125 on the CARS, your situation isn't too gloomy, as most test takers already possess the reasoning capacity to score a 125 on the CARS if given enough time. The issue for most test takers is timing. You can improve your timing in a short period of time, so for most MCATers, it is possible to get from say a 121 to a 125 in a week or so if one works hard. I've seen it done, but with that said, don't expect to raise your score more than 4 or 5 scaled points in less than a month, especially if we're talking about picking up those points in the 123 to 125 range.

Ok, with all of the warnings out of the way, what do I recommend you do when your test date is a week out?

1) Every day for the next five days, find 9 of the hardest passages you can and do each passage timed individually with the appropriate time interval per number of questions per passage (9 minutes for a 5 question passage, 10.5 minutes for a 6 question passage, and 12 minutes for a 7 question passage). Do each of the 9 passages individually setting the timer for the respective time for just that passage, but do all 9 passages consecutively, one right after the other, resetting the time after each passage. This will build your stamina but will also require you to do each passage at the correct CARS pace. Your timing will improve if you do this. When the timer goes off for the passage, do not finish the remaining questions. Move on to the next passage, and reset the timer. The pain of having to see those empty question bubbles one or two times will motivate you to get your timing under control, and to speed up.

2) Read through the passage once, shooting for a total time of 3 minutes, but be sure to take no longer than 4 minutes. Once you've finished reading the passage, do not go back to reread the passage under any circumstances until you've answered every question on the test. You cannot allow yourself to go back to look for details. Mark the question, guess, and keep moving.

3) Be sure not to spend more than two minutes on any given question. If you are stuck, mark the question, guess, and move on. You can come back to it later if you have time. The most likely reason you're struggling with the CARS section is because of your timing. Letting go of hard questions and limiting yourself to only two minutes per question is the easiest way to quickly improve your timing and thus CARS score. Almost anyone can score a 125 if given enough time. If you were to get your timing under control, right now as you read these words, you're very likely able to score in the 125 range on the CARS without any other improvements. Timing is key!

4) If you're still unable to get your timing under control after five days of 9 passages a day, the final option you have is what I call the “big gamble.” I am hesitant to recommend it except to those who are in the most extreme of cases and who are ok with an average or slightly below average score on the CARS section. This strategy would only be advisable for those who aren't able to get their scores above the 122 mark and have to take the MCAT within the next few days.​

Here's what you do. With the first 5 question passage you come to, you mark “C” for every question and then simply keep going. You don't read the passage, you don't read the questions. You basically take the hit and turn the 9 passage CARS test into an 8 passage CARS test.

Let me explaining the reasoning behind this so you can decide if this option would ever be a wise move for you and your particular goals. This is not a good idea for anyone looking to score higher than a 125 on the CARS, so keep this in mind. Simply because of the odds of it, you will likely get 1 out of the 5 questions correct you guessed on. You may even get lucky and get 2 correct, but lets be conservative and say you just get one question correct. Thus, you start the CARS test with a possible score of 49 out of 53 (you've already missed 4 questions from your first skipped passage.) Now let's assume that with the extra 9 minutes you gain by skipping the 5 question passage, you're able to score a percentage correct of the remaining 49 questions at around 75%. This would have you getting roughly 36 or 37 questions correct, which leaves you solidly in the 125 range, plus or minus 1 question. If you get lucky or able to score higher than 75% correct with the extra time, you could reasonably be looking at the 126 range.

This may be a good option for you if you're currently scoring in the 121 to 123 and your other sections are strong. For example, assume that you score 127, 128 and 128 on the other three sections. With a 125 on the CARS you end up with a 508 which isn't that bad of a score for many lower tier and mid to low tier schools. Instead of having to take the test again because of a 121 on the CARS, you'll end up with a reasonably strong composite score. If the rest of your application is strong, you'll be competitive at lower/mid tier medical schools. Like I said, I would only think about this strategy if you meet all four of the earlier qualifications I mentioned above. If you decide to go this route, take at least one practice test before your test day using this strategy to make sure that the extra time pops you up into the 75% correct range. If it doesn't, push your test day back. I'll just say this one more time. USER BEWARE on this one!

Emergency #2 – My Test is in a Month:

This is a much better situation to be in than the “My Test is in a Week” person. I've seen people go from the 122 range up into the 127 and 128 range in a month quite regularly. It is very possible. Here are the keys.

Don't waste your time reviewing your practice tests until you get into the 127 to 128 range consistently. Use the time you would have been reviewing passages to do more passages. The truth is that reviewing the rational behind correct answers benefits you very little if your time is still off, which it almost always is for anyone scoring under a 127. Once you are no longer losing easy points to the clock, then you can start to review.

As is almost always the case on the CARS, low scores are most commonly a result of poor timing. My prescription for your first two weeks is to do 5 to 6 passages each day. Set the timer for one passage and finish the passage and question set. When the time is up, reset the timer for the next passage, and move on, even if you haven't completed the questions for the previous passage.

Be sure to finish reading the passage in 3 to 4 minutes, and don't go back to reread the passage for anything while answering the questions.

After doing two weeks of the above, for the next five days, take a practice CARS test each day. Take one break day, and then repeat the five days, taking a practice CARS test each day. Don't waste your time reviewing your practice tests until you're in the golden 127 to 128 range. This will put you 3 days out from the test. Take another break day, and then take one final practice test two days before your test day. I'd recommend not even grading this one, as an aberrant low score might shoot your confidence. If you've done the above, you'll be in good shape come test day. If you find yourself no longer struggling to finish the test in time, then you can begin to review the passages even if you haven't reached the 127 range, but don't start reviewing passages and questions beyond taking a peek at the ones you got wrong until your timing is rock solid. I know this is uncomfortable for some of you, but trust me on this one Timing is the foundation of every ultra high score on the CARS. If you don't have timing, you have nothing.

In our next post, we'll review all available CARS materials so you can make the decision that's best for you.

I was wondering if I should use TPR hyper learning 2011 book or the 2015 CARS workbook. And for the EK do I use the verbal 101 or Cars 101. Also I was wondering if jack Weston questions are also good.

Hi guys! I really need your help. I have followed the 30 day guide every day for the last month, and I have to say I was initially satisfied with the results. My accuracy on the EK101 passages went from about 50% to 70% and timing was no longer an issue. However I recently took 2 of the Testing solution CARS full lengths, and scored really bad on them. On Test 1 I scored a 124, and on test 2 I scored a 123. The passages on the first exam were easy to understand, and my errors were mainly due to over thinking the question & reading too much for detail. But the second practice test was way harder then anything I had encountered. I struggled to finish on time, and got 7 question wrong in a row. My exam is on April 21st 2018 and I am starting to get concerned.

At this point I am very frustrated to say the least, and am trying not to break anything in my room. What should I do? What did I do wrong! Any advice would be appreciated. Please help!

Hi,

So I have 75 days until my MCAT and am on day 10 of the guide right now. Does anyone have a good strategy for adjusting the guide to fit a schedule?

Should I just cut out some of the practice near the end, or should I just read ahead on the tips and adjust the number of passages I do a day to increase a littler faster?

I was wondering if I should use TPR hyper learning 2011 book or the 2015 CARS workbook. And for the EK do I use the verbal 101 or Cars 101. Also I was wondering if jack Weston questions are also good.

For EK, you want the verbal reasoning book. I can't with certainty say that you should grab the 2015 version of TPR, but I would assume so because the test was updated in 2015 and it probably imitates the actual exam more.

I'm trying to review my practice tests. How do we hide the answers/explanations? Are we to reset the test?

For the last thirty days of this program when you want us to get and do AAMC practice tests and ExamCracker Practice tests does it mean like do every section even non CARS section on the practice tests or are those different practice tests that just have CARS?

@rraidermd - Thanks : ) I use the previous day's entry as a template so the formatting matches up. I'll keep an eye out for that in the future. I very much appreciate it!

Today, we’re taking up one of the most familiar question types, the Passage Detail question. Many students assume that these questions are some of the easiest on the CARS, and while in many cases they are relatively easy to answer, they can also be the source of a lot of wasted time which can have a major impact on your section score. We’ll show you how to handle these questions to make sure you get them correct while not wasting too much time. Make sure to do your two passages today!

The Passage Detail Question:

Whereas Main Idea questions ask for you to see the big picture, Passage Detail questions ask you to zoom in and test your comprehension of a particular idea or argument laid out by the author. They are fairly common on the MCAT CARS, but not as common as you might expect when using other companies' prep materials. Unfortunately, companies like Exam Krackers and Kaplan, in particular, are known for having a higher than AAMC percentage of passage detail questions. This is really a disadvantage if you are only using these materials to prepare, as it isn’t simulating the actual CARS experience that you’ll face come test day. Thus, practicing with accurate CARS prep materials i.e. reading passages and answer questions on CARS simulated tests is critically important. Kaplan is much worse than Exam Krackers, to the point that I wouldn’t recommend using their materials at all. Exam Krackers is much better but still is deficient in this regard, while in other areas producing reasonably good tests. You’re fine to use them early on when you’re still getting your timing down, but as you get closer to your test date, you’re going to want to start using more accurate CARS prep materials.

There are two keys to answering a Passage Detail question correctly:

1) Identifying what you need to know to answer the question

2) Knowing where to look in the passage for the information you need​

You will get better identifying what you need to know to answer the question as you continue doing practice passages. Eventually, your MCAT CARS intuition will grow so strong that it will just be obvious to you. As to knowing where to look in the passage, this will also come with practice. You won’t have too much difficulty if you remember to read for structure not detail on your first pass. I’m not talking about skimming; I’m talking about understanding the landscape of the passage. What is the author doing in paragraph one? And in two? What is last paragraph about? If you have an idea about where the author discusses the mating patterns of early human societies, it’s not important if you completely understood what the author was getting at on your first read through of the passage. If a question comes up about it, you’ll know where to go.

Warning:

Passage Detail questions are some of the most dangerous on the MCAT CARS section because unlike many questions on the CARS, you know that the answer to the question is right in front of you. If you just keep looking, you’ll eventually find it, the thinking goes. Sadly, so many students fall into this trap and waste five, six, even seven minutes on one question. Even if you do get that question right, you’ve probably just cost yourself two or three points elsewhere on the test. If you do this two or three times on the test, you’ve just ruined your CARS score. It can have a huge impact. So remember, if you run into a hard question:

1) The first time you think to yourself, “I’m spending a lot of time on this question” look at the clock and give yourself 30 more seconds.

2) Eliminate any answer choices you can.

3) After 30 seconds, guess, mark the question for review later, and say to yourself “I’ll come back to this later once I get the easy ones.”​

If you do this, you will have time at the end of the test to come back, and more often than not, giving yourself a little time to clear your head, you’ll see the question anew and what you were missing the first time.

Please, please, get in the habit of doing this on questions that are hard for you. Timing is the number one key to the CARS section, and until you have that down, a 127+ score simply isn’t possible. Trust me on this one. If timing is still a problem for you, which is to say if you have to rush to finish and you don’t have any time left at the end, do not go back to the passage after you finishing reading it. Don’t do it. The reason you aren’t finishing in time is because you’re spending too much time going back. I guarantee that if you do this, you will finish on time and will not see a negative impact on your score. In fact, many students who do this are surprised to find that they actually see an improvement because they aren’t losing out on easy questions because of time pressure.

Examples of Passage Detail Question Stems:

The author states that Picasso believed that:

According to the passage, the American Revolutionary War was fought in order to:

The passage suggests which of the following concerning the impact of educational reforms enacted by Reagan?

The author believes all of the following EXCEPT:

Based on the discussion in paragraph three, Rodin’s approach to sculpture was widely regards as:

Which of the following claims does the author NOT make in the passage?

Which of the following assertions most closely resembles the author’s beliefs concerning the role of the Federal Reserve in the modern US economy?

Tips for Passage Detail Questions:

– Read for structure, not detail on your first reading of the passage.

– Don’t go back to the passage if you’re still having trouble finishing on time. Eliminate the answer choices you can, guess, mark it, and come back later.

– Only go back to look for a detail if you know where it is located in the passage. If you’re just going to do a general review of the passage in the hopes of finding something that will help you answer the question, eliminate the answer choices you can, guess, mark it, and leave it until you’ve finished the rest of the questions in that passage set. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve found the answer to a difficult question while answering another question in the set. Leave the hard ones for the end of the passage, after you’ve spent 5 to 7 more minutes answering the other questions in the set and thinking about the passage. Leave the hardest questions for the end, and they will seem to answer themselves!

– Pick the word you choose to look for when going back to the passage carefully. Don’t pick a word that is generic because it will come up multiple times in the passage, wasting your time. If we’re looking for an answer concerning General Lee’s strategy at Gettysburg, looking for Lee or Gettysburg is probably going to be too generic; however, the word strategy is likely to be connected to the information that you’re looking for. You’ll get better at this with practice.

– Don’t be intimidated by the out of nowhere answer choice. The MCAT will sometimes give you an answer choice that is never referenced in the passage but would seem to be a good answer to the question. Answers to Passage Detail questions have to be in the passage. Thus, the out of nowhere answer choice has to be wrong. They include it to scare you, so you’ll think you missed something and go back and spend another three or four minutes re-reading the passage. Don’t do it. Trust yourself. If you don’t remember it being in there, if you find yourself saying, “Hey, where did that come from?” eliminate that answer choice!

Ok, that’s it for today. Great job! I know going through the question types isn’t the sexiest thing in the world, but it will help you over the long term with your score. How are your daily passages going? Is your timing improving?

The best revenge is massive success.”– Frank Sinatra
I am 9 weeks out from my test date. I have been using the new EK 101 CARS, would you recommend I switch to TPR, or stick with EK. I have the CARS qBanks and plan on doing those later.

Thanks for the replies! At this point im doing better overall but my incorrect answers are spread out evenly at average of getting 2 wrong. Recently i took a full 8 hour practice exam and in this one passage i got really stuck because i understood the passage very well but not the question and i kept re reading different points of passage to deduct the options and that took me 3 mins extra and i couldnt make this 3 mins up and tried to use the 'read first and last sentence of every paragraph' to catch up on the very last passage where i missed 4 questions. So my question is when is it really okay to go back to a question. I know this is stupid but i mark the hard question and then go back to it as soon as im done with my other questions regarding the passage and waste extra time in that passage anyways. But i feel like if i dont attend to it, ill forget the passage and it will be of no use if i come back to it at the end. Also, I really dont highlight at all.
I highlight just the first appearance of name, and try to give myself a second after each paragraph to think about what i just read- as in the main idea or the argument. This takes me a little more than 4 mins to finish the passage but it seems i can pin point where the information is and makes me understand the over all idea of the passage. Is this good? I circle keywords during review but they dont pop out as often, thats why i was asking if you had a worked out example of "reviewing" your worked passage.
Also, im starting to make notes on "why i missed the question" and some questions i just dont know what to put for, they just seem like i was thinking from a different perspective at a time, often stupid mistakes, but more frequently than i want. I am following all the review steps, but i cannot distinguish between some of my answers and the right answer and makes me question the wording of the Question itself. I have been using the Next Step CARS, if i find any such question on Testing Solutions ill link it.

I am excited to try out all 14 Full length from testing solutions, and hope they have good review for wrong answers. Ill be starting it this month, already got the material! :D
Hope you're doing great at Stanford!

@Roudy15 - Great question regarding when to go back or not. Here are my two criteria 1) Are you regularly finishing the tests on time? In your case, you're not. So you shouldn't go back to the passage after you read it. Not even for a moment. Once your timing gets worked out, then under certain circumstances you can go back. 2) Do you have any idea where the information is or what kind of information you're looking for? If you can't answer yes to either of those questions, you should mark the question, guess, and move on. Not knowing the where or the what makes it nearly impossible for you to find the information in a time efficient matter. It's better for you to save the time and spend it on questions you know how to answer. Regarding worrying about forgetting the passage, I really doubt think you will. You should try it for yourself and see. Beyond this though, I've found that often times, taking a breather from the passage for a moment and coming back to the question with new eyes can actually lead you to see things you didn't see before. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten questions right that way that were originally stumping me.

I think your passage reading strategy seems to be working if you're able to get through it in 4 minutes and understand what's going on. In terms of reviewing our own passages, I've got a series in the works were we go through a few passages to show you how it's done. I'll keep you posted!

Best of luck and please keep the questions coming! I've just finished my 2nd year, so I'm hopeful I'll have a little more time to respond to questions. Warmest!

@TestingSolutions Do you have any advice on improving the accuracy for in-text questions? What about least supported in the passage questions. I know the general consensus is to not go back and look into the passage. But I feel as if these two question types ask more for detail and aren't linked to the main idea that much.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "in-text questions." Could you say a little more? Regarding "least supported" questions, it's very difficult to find the least supported answer. Your best bet is to start eliminating the answer choices you believe ARE supported in the passage. So for instance, (A) you know is supported in paragraph 1. Eliminate it. (B) you're not sure. (C) you're pretty sure is supported in the main idea, but aren't 100%. (D) is supported in the last sentence of the passage. In this case, without much thought, you pick (B) and move on. There may be questions that you need to go back to the passage on, and it's fine to go back, but you have to be finishing the test on time. If you're rushing at the end of the test and miss 5 questions because you didn't have time, that one extra point you earned by spending more time actually cost you 3 points. We've got to pick and choose were we spend our time. Not going back to the passage is often an easy rule that will improve your score overnight. Best of luck!

Hi Testing Solutions,

I really need some advice.

My exam is on April 20th. CARS has always been a major weakness for me. I followed the testing solutions guide last year and got a 126 on the real MCAT last summer. I decided to retake it and have focused most of my attention on CARS and Psych. I started restudying in December. I re-did the 30-day guide and have been doing Testing Solution Exams, Next Step Exams, and EK101(2015) exams non stop for three months. I have seen a huge improvement in my stamina and scores. I have been getting 125-126 consistently on these exams. About 14-17 wrong per exam.

Last Sunday, I sat down for AAMC scored 1 and got a 121, while getting 130,128, 128 on the other science sections. I felt great while I took the exam. I took Friday and Saturday off and started AAMC1 early in the morning. I thought it was a fluke. Because I have never scored that poorly on CARS before.

This week, I started doing the AAMC q-packs and am getting destroyed on them (about 2 to 4 questions wrong per passage). I tried doing a next step exam and did great (-15). This built up my confidence so I switched back to the AAMC Question Packs again and continued to do poorly. I feel like these AAMC passages lack any flow.They constantly jump from one topic to another unrelated topic paragraph after paragraph. I definitely think my exam last year was not as hard as these. I honestly do not know what to do. Has anyone else felt this way about AAMC CARS passages? Is AAMC Scored 1 and AAMC Q-packs suppose to be harder than the actual MCAT?

Thank you so much for reading my email and answering me. I am just going to spend the next two weeks doing passages and reviewing. I really do not know what more I can do. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. I still have to take AAMC2, AAMC Sample, and the finish both AAMC Question Packs.

@TestingSolutions I have been having difficulty reviewing the TS practice exams (TS-1 for now) efficiently because you can't hide the correct answer choice on the review window or start a new test untimed. It is not feasible to review the questions you got wrong when you can see the correct answer coded in red right in front of you. How do you recommend reviewing the exams ? Can I get the kindle version of the test for reviewing purposes ?

Hi there! i need help and input! I am 5 months away from my mcat. i struggle the most with cars. i score in the low 120s each time. I do fairly decent with 2 passages daily but the minute i do a full length its like i lose all my hardwork put into cars. i also feel so mentally fatigued. Idk what to do. i'm thinking the only way ill really improve is if i do cars simulating testing enviroment each time and then check my cars exam that week and do another nine passages in a row. the only thing i have not done enough is simulate testing environment for cars. that seems to be the thing i need to do now. i just really want to see myself improve.

@blahblahwork - This is a very common problem. Mental fatigue on the MCAT is a real issue for many. You might find yourself missing questions you wouldn't if you had more energy. The good news is that you have plenty of time to build up your stamina. If you follow our passage schedule, you'll see that we slowly build up the number of passages you do over the span of about a month. In your case, you could probably do it even slower. Here's what I would recommend, do CARS practice five days a week. For this week, do three passages a day. Next week, do four passages in a row a day. The following, add another passage so on and so forth. Within the span of two months, you'll find yourself having plenty of stamina. It's not unlike training for a marathon. You don't go out there and run 15 miles on your first day. If you find yourself struggling with a particular number of passages, repeat that week.

Thanks for your great question! Best of luck on your CARS!

I'd recommend using the 2015 CARS workbook for TPR and I'd recommend the EK Verbal 101 book, skipping over the natural science passages. I've heard their CARS 101 book is absolute garbage. I bought a copy and looked through it. I wasn't impressed. It has terrible reviews on Amazon. Their Verbal 101 book is much better in my opinion, although watch out towards the end of the book, the last few tests have errors in their "quick answer" table. You need to look at the actual explanations to find what the correct answer is. In regards to Jack Westin, I really don't have any experience with his stuff. I'm generally skeptical with new resources since they're just coming out and haven't been tested/revised/ or reviewed by the larger community. I think there are a lot of well-established CARS resources out there. With that said, I know a lot of people speak highly of Westin, so you'll have to decide for yourself. I think his course is pretty expensive for my taste, but again, may be worth it if you have that much money to spend. I'm not sure how the pricing of his practice materials work as these are pretty recent developments.

Hope that helps! Best of luck on your the MCAT!

Hi guys! I really need your help. I have followed the 30 day guide every day for the last month, and I have to say I was initially satisfied with the results. My accuracy on the EK101 passages went from about 50% to 70% and timing was no longer an issue. However I recently took 2 of the Testing solution CARS full lengths, and scored really bad on them. On Test 1 I scored a 124, and on test 2 I scored a 123. The passages on the first exam were easy to understand, and my errors were mainly due to over thinking the question & reading too much for detail. But the second practice test was way harder then anything I had encountered. I struggled to finish on time, and got 7 question wrong in a row. My exam is on April 21st 2018 and I am starting to get concerned.

At this point I am very frustrated to say the least, and am trying not to break anything in my room. What should I do? What did I do wrong! Any advice would be appreciated. Please help!

@type42tardis - I'm sorry this response is coming so close to your test date. I think you have to be careful hanging your overall performance on any one particular test, especially if that test is not from the AAMC official resources. Have you tried any AAMC resources? I would recommend trying a smaller number of passages. Maybe jumping up to 9 passages all at once was too much. Try 5 or 6 in a row and see how you do. The AAMC question packs are great for this. In regards to your test date, our general advice is that if you haven't scored within 2 points of your goal score within two weeks of your test, you should strongly consider rescheduling it. Hopefully, you've been able to work through these issues and are doing great now! Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

Hi,

So I have 75 days until my MCAT and am on day 10 of the guide right now. Does anyone have a good strategy for adjusting the guide to fit a schedule?

Should I just cut out some of the practice near the end, or should I just read ahead on the tips and adjust the number of passages I do a day to increase a littler faster?

@ScrubswithnoSleeves - Excellent name!! I love it. I think the best way to adjust the schedule is to cut out some of the practice. I think you can probably read through a couple of the days (especially the ones regarding question types and answer pathologies) two at a time. This will also get you through the guide quicker.

For EK, you want the verbal reasoning book. I can't with certainty say that you should grab the 2015 version of TPR, but I would assume so because the test was updated in 2015 and it probably imitates the actual exam more.

@ScrubswithnoSleeves - I really agree with this. I think EK really missed the mark on their CARS book. Hopefully, they'll put in the time to improve the quality of the book, but as it is now, it's not any good. I'd go with the Verbal Reasoning book and just remove the natural science passages. The 2015 version of TPR (or a more recent one if you can swing it) is going to be your best bet. The folks at TPR seem to have done a better job maintaining their quality in comparison to EK.

For the last thirty days of this program when you want us to get and do AAMC practice tests and ExamCracker Practice tests does it mean like do every section even non CARS section on the practice tests or are those different practice tests that just have CARS?

@Fuarky - That refers to actual full-lengths where you do all the sections (not just CARS). We think in the last six weeks of prep you really should be rapidly moving towards full-length practice with intense review of weaknesses on off days. Best of luck!

I am 9 weeks out from my test date. I have been using the new EK 101 CARS, would you recommend I switch to TPR, or stick with EK. I have the CARS qBanks and plan on doing those later.

@iMaree - I'd stop with the EK101 CARS. I think it's a very poor representation of the CARS section. If you're using their old EK 101 Verbal Reasoning book that's okay, just be sure you skip the Natural Science passages. I'd switch to TPR. Be sure you leave plenty of time to do the CARS qBanks though from the AAMC. Those are pure gold. You must do them before you even think about taking the MCAT! Best of luck on your MCAT!

Hi Testing Solutions,

I really need some advice.

My exam is on April 20th. CARS has always been a major weakness for me. I followed the testing solutions guide last year and got a 126 on the real MCAT last summer. I decided to retake it and have focused most of my attention on CARS and Psych. I started restudying in December. I re-did the 30-day guide and have been doing Testing Solution Exams, Next Step Exams, and EK101(2015) exams non stop for three months. I have seen a huge improvement in my stamina and scores. I have been getting 125-126 consistently on these exams. About 14-17 wrong per exam.

Last Sunday, I sat down for AAMC scored 1 and got a 121, while getting 130,128, 128 on the other science sections. I felt great while I took the exam. I took Friday and Saturday off and started AAMC1 early in the morning. I thought it was a fluke. Because I have never scored that poorly on CARS before.

This week, I started doing the AAMC q-packs and am getting destroyed on them (about 2 to 4 questions wrong per passage). I tried doing a next step exam and did great (-15). This built up my confidence so I switched back to the AAMC Question Packs again and continued to do poorly. I feel like these AAMC passages lack any flow.They constantly jump from one topic to another unrelated topic paragraph after paragraph. I definitely think my exam last year was not as hard as these. I honestly do not know what to do. Has anyone else felt this way about AAMC CARS passages? Is AAMC Scored 1 and AAMC Q-packs suppose to be harder than the actual MCAT?

Thank you so much for reading my email and answering me. I am just going to spend the next two weeks doing passages and reviewing. I really do not know what more I can do. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. I still have to take AAMC2, AAMC Sample, and the finish both AAMC Question Packs.

@academy4dawise - I'm just copying my email response to you here so others can have the benefit! Hope all is going well!

It sounds like you've put a lot of really hard work in. It's hard to say what's going on with AAMC Scored 1 and the Q-packs. I do think in general, the AAMC materials are a better representation of what you're going to see on test day than anything else, but with that said, I have heard that the first qpack is harder than the second, and I've also heard opinions that the AAMC scored 1 is a bit hardier too. I'd encourage you not to panic. Take a look at the sorts of questions you're missing. Are you rushing through? Are you approaching these passages or questions in a different way than you are your practice materials? When you review the questions, do you see where you went wrong or are you still clueless about what the problem was?

I'd encourage you to invest a little more time reviewing the questions and answer choices of the AAMC materials. I think this will help you get into their mindset regarding how they approach questions and passages. You've still got a lot of time. Your other sections are very strong, so it makes sense that you can invest a little more time on the CARS. I'd recommend you use our review protocol on Day 28 for two or three of the hardest passages you've had and go from there.

Best of luck! You've got this!

@TestingSolutions I have been having difficulty reviewing the TS practice exams (TS-1 for now) efficiently because you can't hide the correct answer choice on the review window or start a new test untimed. It is not feasible to review the questions you got wrong when you can see the correct answer coded in red right in front of you. How do you recommend reviewing the exams ? Can I get the kindle version of the test for reviewing purposes ?

@mcattypmd911 - This is a good point regarding our current online platform. We're in the process of working on releasing this feature in the next month. We'll be sure to contact you when we do!