CARS Testing Solutions' 30 Day Guide to MCAT CARS Success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you used Testing Solutions passages? What did you think?

• Yes! Very accurate, really like them a lot!

• Nope. I'm here for the free guide and that's it!

• Yes, but they stink. (Oh no....please email us at [email protected] for a refund!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Do you recommend going over the testing solutions guide again? I have 4 weeks until my test

@Onach - I don't think you need to do a day by day read of the entire guide. I'd recommend reading through the first 10 days to refresh the ideas in your head and also to keep an eye out for anything you're not doing. Try to focus on integrating one or two strategies every few days. I cannot recommend practicing letting go of hard questions enough. Focus on the basics and if your mechanics are down, the rest will follow. If you find you're missing a particular type of question regularly, then go back and find that question type in our guide and read that day's post, but I wouldn't do the whole guide over this close to your test day.

Best of luck and keep the questions coming!

Members don't see this ad.

I have recently started preparing for the MCAT and definitely think CARS is a weakness of mine. I took 3 practice CARS exams from EK 101 and got around 26/40 correct on those. I've decided to not use up this material until a few more months because of your advice that these are good practice. I have been doing passages in TBR Verbal (averaging between 70-75%) and NextStep (averaging between 65-70%). I've been trying to incorporate the strategies you suggested, and I certainly feel like I get a better understanding of the passages and feel more confident when picking answers. However, I am still making a lot of mistakes. I understand that this is a process and will take time for me to get better, but I was just wondering what your opinion of the TBR and NextStep CARS materials is. Since I've averaging slightly higher on these compared to EK 101, can I assume that I am improving my CARS skills. Or would you say that I still haven't make much progress yet?

I've been averaging about 5 passages for the past 10 days (so not a long enough time) but am starting to get worried that my score will not improve by August.

@kryptonxenon - Very sorry for the slow response. I'm traveling this summer and have limited access to internet. While I do have my opinions about which resources are best for preparing for the MCAT, if you are worried about your progress or where you actually are at in terms of your performance, the best thing to do is to take 4 or 5 AAMC released CARS passages and see for yourself. Each company offers you their best approximation of the CARS section. Some of these approximations are better than others, but they are still approximations (even our practice tests!). I think doing 5 passages for 10 days is a good base, but don't judge yourself too harshly at this point. Over time, the silly mistakes will fall away. As you practice your timing and letting go of hard questions, you'll start to see your score tick up, regardless of the practice test. With that said, a 70% on NextStep might be an 85% on an EK101 and a 54% on TPR. It's very difficult to compare scores even within a particular test prep company let alone compare test prep companies against one another. The best way to find out where you're at is to go to the source: the AAMC. I think practice tests are there to allow you to practice and build your mental stamina. I'd use the real deal to actually gauge your progress, because it's difficult to know how accurate anything else will be.

Best of luck and please keep your questions coming!

Hello @TestingSolutions ,

I would be following your guide for CARS word to word. I am willing to do what it takes to improve my CARS score. Do I have enough time from today until the end of July? Today I finished Day 2. I have all the material as well

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @TestingSolutions !

I recently got my scores back from April 23rd MCAT. Overall I did okay, however; CARS is what killed me. I ended up getting a 121 on CARS. I am planning to retake the MCAT July 22nd. With the time frame of about 7-8 weeks, will it be possible to raise my CARS score? I am able to devote full days and nights (8-12 hours daily) to study for this upcoming MCAT. I am also reading through your guide too!

If you have any tips, insights, or suggestions it would be great given the current timeframe!

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: 1 user

I would be following your guide for CARS word to word. I am willing to do what it takes to improve my CARS score. Do I have enough time from today until the end of July? Today I finished Day 2. I have all the material as well

Hey! Im on the same boat as you! :p

@TestingSolutions Thank you so much for all of your hard work in helping all of us struggling with this section. I'm honestly amazed that you have been so consistent in helping everyone with answers to our questions.
I have two questions for you. One: my timing isn't completely down yet, but I'm getting very close. Do you think it would benefit me to review the passages I do by summarizing each paragraph in the passages? I know you said not to until my timing is completely down, but I feel like it would give me a head start on getting used to summarizing parts of the passage and would be good practice. I will listen to your advice though if you advise me not to!

My second question is: I read on one of your posts that you did 400+ passages to get to the point of being a master :) However, for a majority of the guide it advises to only do 2 to 3 passages a day until full lengths. Would it be ill advised to do more passages in the beginning? How would I be able to get to the 400+ range like you? I want to put the work in, but I'm not sure how I should set up my practice. My MCAT is in 3 months. Could I reach the 400+ mark in that amount of time?

Thank you so much in advance!

Thanks for your posts! I have been reading them thoroughly. I have a question. I am aware that my reading comprehension is horrible, but can read for speed. I am doing practice passages and getting around 2/7 to 3/7 on the answers. I have been trying to answer the questions based on what the author thinks (asking myself what would the author choose as the right answer) and trying to relate the answer to the main idea. What kinds of tips could you give me and/or strategies to improve comprehension. Currently, I have been reading "Atlantic" passages and writing main ideas for those as well as taking practice passages at a slower pace to improve accuracy of answers rather than speed. Thanks!

Hi,
First of all, thank you for posting the strategies for CARS. I read through your post, and it was really good and I am on Day 9 right now. I am roughly a month and half away from my actual MCAT test, but I just have some burning questions here that I really need to ask.
First is about timing/pacing. I know it was very important. I actually took the MCAT once before and unfortunately I got a 5 :(. Indeed, pacing was the thing that I did not pay attention to. When I took my old MCAT, I remember I only had 15 minutes left when I still had 3 passages to do :(. What I did was to take 7 minutes to spring through 2 of them and completely guessed for all 6 questions of the last passage. As you know, that didn't end so well. On your post you said we should spend 9 minutes for the 5 questions passage, 10.5 minutes for 6 questions and 12 for 7 questions. I don't really know the structure of the new MCAT verbal, but one thing I am afraid is that is that going to go over the time limit for the new one? I know for the old MCAT verbal, that timing will go over time limit for sure. So what I did was that I give myself 7 minutes for the 5 questions passage, 8 minutes for 6 questions and 10 for 7 questions. However, my accuracy is horrible. I can finish them on time but I can only get 2/5 right or 2/6 right... If I do the passages based on your timing, the accuracy is pretty decent. However, I calculated the timing based on the actual full length test. The practice test 1 has 5 passages contain 5 questions and 4 passages contain 7 questions. Based on the timing you suggested, the total time it is going to take will be 93 minutes, which will be a little over the time limit. I would like to know what I should do with the timing at this point? The timing I use right now is 9 minutes for 5 questions passage, 10 minutes for 6 questions and 11 for 7 questions. This timing works the best for me at this point. However, I am still constantly getting 8 or 9. So any suggestions for the timing? Should I stick with my current one or still use the one that you suggested? Also, should I try to go faster in my following practice?
Second is about the strategies you teaching in each day's post. Of course, they are all great strategies. However, in each day's assignment, you suggest us to do 2 passages (so far) under timed condition. I would like to know what exercise do you suggest to incorporate the strategies you teach to our everyday practices? If you could answer my questions I will really appreciate it!
Best,
Chris

Hey @TestingSolutions I have been following your tips. I think I am good with timing, and I really try not to go back to the passages once I read them. However, I keep scoring around 50%. I purchased the exam krackers 101 and I have been working on my pace with those passages. My test is in a month and a half. Do you have any advices to improve my scores?

Thanks

@TestingSolutions
I have two questions for you. One: my timing is pretty much down, but I'm only on the second week. I would like to start review passages, (just passed the keyword review lesson). Do you think it would be beneficial to skip ahead and learn how to review passages so I can practice with the passage / question types etc.? Or should I wait till the end of the guide when you start tackling the review. My test is at the end of July or the beginning of August, (haven't decided when to sit for it yet)

My second question is: I read on one of your posts that you did 400+ passages to get to the point of being a master :) However, for a majority of the guide it advises to only do 2 to 3 passages a day until full lengths. Would it be ill advised to do more passages in the beginning? How would I be able to get to the 400+ range like you? I want to put the work in, but I'm not sure how I should set up my practice. My MCAT is in 3 months. Could I reach the 400+ mark in that amount of time?

I wanted to apologize to everyone that has been waiting for a response. I'm the only one on the team who currently has the time to be able to answer questions and I've been traveling for the last to weeks with very limited internet access. I'm going to try to get to as many questions as I can today. Hang in there and we'll get to you! Thank you for your patience and wishing you all the very best and much peace in the midst of your MCAT studying!

@TestingSolutions Thank you so much for all of your hard work in helping all of us struggling with this section. I'm honestly amazed that you have been so consistent in helping everyone with answers to our questions.
I have two questions for you. One: my timing isn't completely down yet, but I'm getting very close. Do you think it would benefit me to review the passages I do by summarizing each paragraph in the passages? I know you said not to until my timing is completely down, but I feel like it would give me a head start on getting used to summarizing parts of the passage and would be good practice. I will listen to your advice though if you advise me not to!

@phixius12345 - Thank you for writing! It really depends on what you mean when you say your timing isn't completely down yet. If you're consistently having to rush to get to the end of the test, it doesn't really matter how well you're understanding the passages and questions, because you're not going to have the time to get there. As hard as it is, I'd recommend spending as much time practicing doing passages as possible and really limit the time you're spending on reviewing at this point. With that said, if you can't hold yourself back, summarizing paragraphs isn't all that time consuming and is a good idea, it's just a secondary priority. As to how many passages I did, it all really depends on what you're looking for out of your CARS score. I wanted as high of a score as possible, so I did a lot of passages. Our 90 day schedule at the beginning of this thread has you scheduled to-do 361 passages. The 30 day guide here is designed to be a sort of "couch to 5k" type schedule for those people who really are starting from zero (which most of us are when it comes to CARS). I think stair-stepping the number of passages gradually over time is the very best way to improve on CARS, so that's why we've scheduled them the way we have. If your MCAT is 90 days you could get pretty close to that figure. Thanks for the questions!

@TestingSolutions
I have two questions for you. One: my timing is pretty much down, but I'm only on the second week. I would like to start review passages, (just passed the keyword review lesson). Do you think it would be beneficial to skip ahead and learn how to review passages so I can practice with the passage / question types etc.? Or should I wait till the end of the guide when you start tackling the review. My test is at the end of July or the beginning of August, (haven't decided when to sit for it yet)

@phixius12345 - We very much appreciate you sticking with us as we got backed up on answering questions. I think I got all of them answered above, but let me know if I missed one! Very best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the timing correct? There are 90 minutes and 53 questions for CARS. That's 1.7 minutes per question. So 5 is 8.5 minutes, 6 is 10.2 minutes, and 7 is 11.9 minutes. Which I rounded to 8.5, 10, and 12 since it evens out. So 9 minutes, and 10.5 minutes for 5 and 6 questions would seem dangerous to follow since you're giving yourself even more time. Am I missing something here?

@BatmansDoctor - Great name! The timing we recommend is to be used during your first weeks of doing practice passages. Overtime, you won't want to be thinking about how much time you're spending on a passage, but instead build up a pacing intuition. Some passages are harder on the CARS than others, and come test day, you're going to want to spend more time on the harder passages than the easier ones. It's possible you'll spend 12 minutes on a hard 5 question passage and only 9 minutes on a 7 question passage. 8.5 minutes being rounded to 9 minutes is a difference of 30 seconds, 10.2 to 10.5 is a difference of 12 seconds, and 11.9 minutes is a difference of 10 seconds. These aren't that big of a deal early on in your practice (30 seconds extra spread over 5 questions is only 6 seconds). Most people will really struggle at the beginning to finish passages within these time limits. That's why we set them as training parameters. When you're easily finishing passages within these limits, you won't need the limits any more and will be able to decide for yourself how much time you want to spend based on the difficulty of the passage. We talk about this on Day 25, that once you get to taking full-length practice tests, you shouldn't be worrying about the timing in terms of questions per minutes. Instead, focusing on difficult and timing. Does that make sense?

Hey just thought I'd help you out until your question is answered :). Not sure if you got a chance to look at it already, but He/She has a pretty detailed breakdown of all of the CARS practice materials on the first page of this guide. Don't be discouraged if your scores aren't improving yet! When people say that it takes time and practice it really does. You'll feel like you're beating your head against a wall for awhile..and then things will just start clicking and you'll stop making as many mistakes. The key is once you get to this stage, don't stop practicing cars because your skills will dull quickly lol. I learned this the hard way. Keep practicing and it will pay off :) Good luck!

This is 100% correct!

@phixius12345 Thank you for the advice! I've noticed that over the last few days I have been doing worse than usual. I did terrible on one of the NextStep full length CARS sections so that might have something to do with it. I'm going to take an EK exam tomorrow and hopefully I can go into it with the right mindset. Ever since my ~48% on that CARS section I've been feeling super distressed when I sit down to go through passages.

@kryptonxenon - If you're worried about where you're scores are, I'd recommend you take 5 or 6 AAMC released CARS practice passages. These are the very best gauges of your actually progress. It's hard to know where you're really at otherwise just based on a percentage. One or two really hard passages can drop your score by 15% or 20%. It takes a lot of work and usually for most people takes quite some time for things to "click" and for you to see that huge jump.

Hi,
I came upon your 30-day MCAT CARs success thread, and loved the entire series. Very helpful! I bought your 8 test pack and have been working on them. However, I've ran into timing issues with Testing Solutions passages because of their much greater density and convolution (compared with AAMC materials).

My questions then, are:
1. How can I improve my timing with Testing Solutions passages?
2. Should I expect the worst for the actual MCAT CAR's? i.e. will they be as convoluted as Testing Solutions?
3. Any tips for reading more efficiently?

I have decent timing with AAMC CAR's materials, finishing practice tests with 2 minutes left, and I have pretty high accuracy. My main time-block in hard passages is simply reading the passage; it can take me up to 6.5 minutes to understand a really hard passage! I know that I should read for structure, but without a grasp of the main idea, I answer extremely slowly (reading everywhere) and have super low accuracy. So I think I do need to understand the passage.

Some additional contest regarding myself: I've taken the MCAT last september and did very well in the science sections (130's) but very poorly on CARS (124), thus I am retaking on June 18th for the CARs. I have just a little over 3 weeks, so I really need to feel comfortable with timing. Any help is really really appreciated! Thank you so much!

Yimo Wang

@fishermanwang - Thanks for writing. To answer your questions:

1) You should think of our practice tests as the hardest and most time consuming passages you're going to face on test day. Everyone struggles with our passages, because we believe that training with the hardest passages is going to produce the best results come test day. Keep practicing and in particular letting go of the hard questions and you'll see your scores rise over time.

2) You should make sure you go through all the AAMC's released CARS materials. This includes the two volumes of CARS questions, the study guide questions, and the two released practice tests. This is the best measure of what the actual CARS section is like. We've done our best to simulate those tests, and most people agree that we've done a good job, but like I've said (and others have said) our practice tests are very hard.

3) Spend a lot of time looking at Day 5 and Day 11 of our guide. I think these posts will really help you out.

My recommendation is just keep practicing and doing as many passages as you can. Review some as you go, but spend the majority of your time on taking passages. This will help both your timing and your reading abilities. Best of luck!

Hi TestingSolutions, I have recently found your post. CARS is my weakest section. I got only 121 on TPR Course test for the CARS section and recently I just did first 5 passages of AAMC question packs with only 12/35 correct -> 33% only. I'm pretty much overwhelmed right now since my test is in a month. Any tips for me at this point please?
Looking forward to hearing back from you soon

@TestingSolutions

I am noticing that I am having an issue with passages about abstract and philosophical subject matter. I have a tough time trying to understand both the structure of the passage during my 10 second paragraph opening sentence scan and the main idea during my entire read through. What tips do you have?

Another issue I am having relates to timing. I was doing well when I was timing myself for the passages individually, but am now over time when I began doing 3 and 4 passages consecutively (without checking the time at the end of each passage). What suggestions do you have?

Last edited:
@fishermanwang - Thanks for writing. To answer your questions:

1) You should think of our practice tests as the hardest and most time consuming passages you're going to face on test day. Everyone struggles with our passages, because we believe that training with the hardest passages is going to produce the best results come test day. Keep practicing and in particular letting go of the hard questions and you'll see your scores rise over time.

2) You should make sure you go through all the AAMC's released CARS materials. This includes the two volumes of CARS questions, the study guide questions, and the two released practice tests. This is the best measure of what the actual CARS section is like. We've done our best to simulate those tests, and most people agree that we've done a good job, but like I've said (and others have said) our practice tests are very hard.

3) Spend a lot of time looking at Day 5 and Day 11 of our guide. I think these posts will really help you out.

My recommendation is just keep practicing and doing as many passages as you can. Review some as you go, but spend the majority of your time on taking passages. This will help both your timing and your reading abilities. Best of luck!
@TestingSolutions Thank you for your response, very helpful! I will continue to practice hard and hope for the best!

@TestingSolutions
Thank you so much for this wonderful program!
Quick question regarding day 9: do you recommend reading the passage and answering Qs as normal and THEN doing a keyword review of the passage? Also, if timing is still an issue, should we even bother with keyword review?

Hi Testing Solutions, thanks so much for the tips. I've been following your 30 Day Guide, and just recently finished it. Because I'm a month away from my exam, I've started to do full-lengths more frequently. When I started off with one to four passages, my timing would be on point (sometimes I would finish with 3-4 minutes left), and I would average one to two questions wrong per passage. Now however, while doing 9 passages, I find myself struggling to finish the last two passages in time, and am averaging about 21-23 questions wrong per entire section (in EK Practice Test and your T1). How do I fix my timing for an entire section?

I've been following the program and am at day 24 but I noticed that I still go over by a 1 minute when I do 4 tests timed together, still rushing to finish. The day 25 post mentions that it should not take more than 4 minutes to read the passage but I take 5minutes every time to read the passage. I'm afraid that if I read faster then I won't catch all the arguments made, are there any tips or tricks to speed up the reading? I've stopped doing the 4 passages together and am doing independent passages.

I was that student that never knew why I was failing the CARS section when I would always walk out of the test feeling like I aced that section. I was that student that always thought CARS is something you cannot study for. I was also that student that took the test twice and got a 123 both times. The only thing I did differently when taking the test the third time around was that I practiced with more stringent time conditions and with many passages as suggested. I also took the passages and pasted them onto a microsoft doc and zoomed out to 120% and practice with this zoomed setting so that I can stimulate the real mcat testing situation. I did it!!! I finally broke the 123 barrier and got a 127. The reason why I am saying this is I was extremely depressed that my score was 123 for the longest time and taking the test a third time was a lot of pressure, but I still managed to improve so don't lose hope! A bit about me…I took the mcat at the end of sophomore year summer after 3 months of studying and got a 26. I took the new version of the mcat having studied for an additional 3 more months and got a 502 (26 again). The third time I took the test I got a 506 (29) and now I'm getting ready to apply! So don't lose hope or get overwhelmed by the # of posts with 510+ because statistics show that there is only 33% of the population getting that score and much lower percentages for scores that are 520+. Only people who do well post so don't let that bother you. Just keep practicing! Good luck future physicians!!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi testingsolutions, thank you for making this CARS guide, which has been very helpful in my CARS preparation. For the first portion of my preparation I've been using TPRH and was able to get my timing down. However, as I progressed through the book there were passages where the majority of questions and answer choices were significantly longer, which obviously threw me off, so I was not able to finish within the allotted time. Do you have any suggestions?

@RockMcat520 - I'm terribly sorry our slow response. We're running a little short staffed as of late and I've been traveling in France for the last few weeks. To get to answering your question, I think you do have enough time but it will take a lot of work. CARS is not something you can hope to improve on over night. It is very much a slow and steady wins the race sort of thing. I'd encourage you to start with doing two or three passages a day instead of one or two. This will accelerate your progress and will also get you doing more passages earlier. I say this over and over again, so I'm sorry to repeat it, but your first goal must be to get your timing down. Then you can start to apply the other strategies we outline in this guide. Please don't hesitate to ask more questions, and hopefully we'll be better at getting back to you. Best of luck!

Hi @TestingSolutions !

I recently got my scores back from April 23rd MCAT. Overall I did okay, however; CARS is what killed me. I ended up getting a 121 on CARS. I am planning to retake the MCAT July 22nd. With the time frame of about 7-8 weeks, will it be possible to raise my CARS score? I am able to devote full days and nights (8-12 hours daily) to study for this upcoming MCAT. I am also reading through your guide too!

If you have any tips, insights, or suggestions it would be great given the current timeframe!

Thank you in advance!

@Dr. McPanda - Thank you for writing and I do apologize for our slow response. I think it really depends on the problems that led to you getting to a 121. Was it a timing issue? Unfortunately, CARS is a section that requires steady and diligent practice over a long time interval. You really can't do more than two hours or three hours of CARS a day (including taking a practice test and reviewing it). I'd encourage you to start doing 3 or 4 passages at a time and see how that feels. What is it that seems to be holding you back? Two practical questions to ask yourself for quick improvement:

1) How often am I going back to the passage when I'm answering the questions ?
2) Am I able to let go of hard questions and move on?

Feel free to keep us updated and we'll be happy to offer any help we can. Best of luck!

Thanks for your posts! I have been reading them thoroughly. I have a question. I am aware that my reading comprehension is horrible, but can read for speed. I am doing practice passages and getting around 2/7 to 3/7 on the answers. I have been trying to answer the questions based on what the author thinks (asking myself what would the author choose as the right answer) and trying to relate the answer to the main idea. What kinds of tips could you give me and/or strategies to improve comprehension. Currently, I have been reading "Atlantic" passages and writing main ideas for those as well as taking practice passages at a slower pace to improve accuracy of answers rather than speed. Thanks!

@student1681 - Thanks for writing. This is a pretty common problem early on. I'd recommend you not read non-CARS passages for practice. I see this advice given frequently and I really think for most students it's really off. First, the length is wrong but more importantly, there are no questions you can use to evaluate your comprehension. I'd recommend you continue to take passages like you have been. Then, assuming your timing is down, start trying to do our "keyword review" as outlined on Day 9 – How to Use Keywords. While reviewing, you could also try writing a brief one sentence summary of each paragraph. This can help you break the passages down which will over time translate to your ability to do so "live" when you're taking the actual MCAT. I can't emphasize that you need to make sure you're using the correct timing to take your passages. Taking them at "a slower pace to improve accuracy" really does little to help you on the CARS, because if you're taking even two or three minutes longer than you should per passage that means by the end of time, you'll still have two passages to go. Timing HAS to come first, even if your accuracy isn't good. Then once you know how quickly you have to move through the passages, you can start to be selective with which questions you invest in and practice letting go of the hard ones. I think overall, you've just got to push through these low scores and continue to taking practice passages. With the keyword review and writing paragraph summaries, I think you'll begin to see gains in comprehension. When you are no longer struggling with timing at all, then move on to our full on review protocol as outlined on Day 29 – Putting it All Together: How to Review an Entire CARS Practice Test. Best of luck and please keep us in the loop on your progress and how we can help!

Hi,
First of all, thank you for posting the strategies for CARS. I read through your post, and it was really good and I am on Day 9 right now. I am roughly a month and half away from my actual MCAT test, but I just have some burning questions here that I really need to ask.
First is about timing/pacing. I know it was very important. I actually took the MCAT once before and unfortunately I got a 5 :(. Indeed, pacing was the thing that I did not pay attention to. When I took my old MCAT, I remember I only had 15 minutes left when I still had 3 passages to do :(. What I did was to take 7 minutes to spring through 2 of them and completely guessed for all 6 questions of the last passage. As you know, that didn't end so well. On your post you said we should spend 9 minutes for the 5 questions passage, 10.5 minutes for 6 questions and 12 for 7 questions. I don't really know the structure of the new MCAT verbal, but one thing I am afraid is that is that going to go over the time limit for the new one? I know for the old MCAT verbal, that timing will go over time limit for sure. So what I did was that I give myself 7 minutes for the 5 questions passage, 8 minutes for 6 questions and 10 for 7 questions. However, my accuracy is horrible. I can finish them on time but I can only get 2/5 right or 2/6 right... If I do the passages based on your timing, the accuracy is pretty decent. However, I calculated the timing based on the actual full length test. The practice test 1 has 5 passages contain 5 questions and 4 passages contain 7 questions. Based on the timing you suggested, the total time it is going to take will be 93 minutes, which will be a little over the time limit. I would like to know what I should do with the timing at this point? The timing I use right now is 9 minutes for 5 questions passage, 10 minutes for 6 questions and 11 for 7 questions. This timing works the best for me at this point. However, I am still constantly getting 8 or 9. So any suggestions for the timing? Should I stick with my current one or still use the one that you suggested? Also, should I try to go faster in my following practice?
Second is about the strategies you teaching in each day's post. Of course, they are all great strategies. However, in each day's assignment, you suggest us to do 2 passages (so far) under timed condition. I would like to know what exercise do you suggest to incorporate the strategies you teach to our everyday practices? If you could answer my questions I will really appreciate it!
Best,
Chris

@christopher_2520 - Thanks for writing and I'm sorry it's taken us so long to get to it. We've been short staffed as of late and I've been traveling. To get to your questions, I'll outline our timing strategy below using an excerpt from a recent article we wrote:

"Timing and pacing are the two biggest ingredients in a top-tier CARS score. It doesn’t really matter how well you read, analyze, or answer questions if your timing is off. If you have to rush through the last two or three passages, it will be exceedingly difficult if not near impossible to score in the 128+ range. Thus, we believe that from day one of your CARS preparations, you have to first and foremost be focused on your timing. So what does this mean? 1.) Always do your practice passages under timed conditions. How well you can answer an untimed passage is of little value in preparing you for the CARS section. The only thing it succeeds in doing is over-inflating your confidence. 2.) Use the correct timing intervals when doing practice passages. Some people think, “Well, there are nine passages, and since there are ninety minutes for the section, I have ten minutes to spend on each passage.” This is a very bad idea because it does not allow you to build your CARS pacing intuition.

CARS passages have either 5, 6, or 7 questions associated with them. Let’s assume you give yourself 4 minutes to read each passage. With 10 minutes total per passage, this leaves 6 minutes for answering questions. For a five question passage, you can spend 72 seconds on each question (6 minutes/ 5 questions) and still be on track to finish the test on time. But for a six question passage, you only have 60 seconds (6 minutes/6 questions). Even worse, for a seven question passage, you have just 51 seconds (6 minutes/7 questions). (4 minutes per passage x 9 passages = 36 minutes for reading passages.)

Hopefully, it’s clear how confusing this can be if you treat each passage the same. If you answered all of the questions on the CARS at a 5 question passage rate (36 minutes for reading passages + 63.5 minutes for answering questions), it would take you 99.5 minutes to complete the test, 9 minutes over what you’re given. In contrast, if you answered all of the questions on the CARS at a 7 question passage rate (36 minutes for reading passages + 45 minutes for answering questions) it would take you only 81 minutes to complete the test, leaving 9 minutes on the table that you could have used to improve your score. We’re going through all of this to show how important it is that you answer questions at the correct pace. A one size fit all approach to timing does not work.

90 minutes total for the CARS section – 36 minutes for reading passages = 54 minutes for answering questions. This breaks down to a little over a minute per question. Thus,

For a passage with 5 questions, (4 minutes for reading the passage + 5 minutes for questions) give yourself 9 Minutes

For a passage with 6 questions (4 minutes for reading the passage + 6.5 minutes for questions) give yourself 10.5 Minutes

For a passage with 7 questions (4 minutes for reading the passage + 8 minutes for questions) give yourself 12 Minutes"
The timing we recommend is to be used during your first weeks of doing practice passages. Overtime, you won't want to be thinking about how much time you're spending on a passage, but instead build up a pacing intuition. Some passages are harder on the CARS than others, and come test day, you're going to want to spend more time on the harder passages than the easier ones. It's possible you'll spend 12 minutes on a hard 5 question passage and only 9 minutes on a 7 question passage. 8.5 minutes being rounded to 9 minutes is a difference of 30 seconds, 10.2 to 10.5 is a difference of 12 seconds, and 11.9 minutes is a difference of 10 seconds. These aren't that big of a deal early on in your practice (30 seconds extra spread over 5 questions is only 6 seconds). Most people will really struggle at the beginning to finish passages within these time limits. That's why we set them as training parameters. When you're easily finishing passages within these limits, you won't need the limits any more and will be able to decide for yourself how much time you want to spend based on the difficulty of the passage. We talk about this on Day 25, that once you get to taking full-length practice tests, you shouldn't be worrying about the timing in terms of questions per minutes. Instead, focus on difficulty and timing.

In terms of practice, we recommend a stair step approach to increasing how many passages you do a day to build stamina. You may need to increase the number of passages you do per day if your test date is closer. Maybe try taking 3 or 4. We see these passages at the workshop where you can try applying these strategies. Best of luck and let us know how we can help!

Hello @TestingSolutions I wanted to give you and everyone at TestingSolutions some props! Seriously I am only on day 11 and I have seen an improvement in my over all performance when reading passages, questions and answer choices. This has translated from getting 30% correct on my passage day one to getting 71% and 91% correct on my passages on day 1o and 11, respectively. So thank you!

A couple questions regarding timing tho.
I am finishing really early on my passages with a minute and half to 30 seconds left with time. I usually use that minute or so to go back and review the 1 or 2 questions I marked before I check it off as complete.
My questions:
  • Can I say my timing is good here? Or do I still need to get to a point where I say I am done right about when the timer goes off?
  • And I guess this is related the first question. I am eager to start doing the key word exercise at the end of my day. Do you think I need to slow down before i can start highlighting key words?

@greatchanges - Your timing sounds very good, so I'd recommend moving on to one or more of our review strategies. As you advance in your preparations, you'll eventually want to focus on the difficulty of questions instead of minutes per question. If you can pick up two minutes on an easy passage and still get them right, those are two minutes you can use on a difficult passage. This is one of the easiest ways to improve Most people can get 75% correct if they take a test untimed. It's the timing that lowers scores. If you can give yourself more time on the hard questions you're going to see your score increase significantly. Your timing is down so I think the keyword exercise is exactly what you should be doing. Best of luck and please keep the questions coming!

Hey @TestingSolutions I have been following your tips. I think I am good with timing, and I really try not to go back to the passages once I read them. However, I keep scoring around 50%. I purchased the exam krackers 101 and I have been working on my pace with those passages. My test is in a month and a half. Do you have any advices to improve my scores?

Thanks

@Pin_Je - I guess my first question would be, when you take a larger set of passages consecutively, do you find yourself running out of time? Have you taken a full-length practice test recently? If you're more or less getting through all nine passages without running out of time or rushing, I think you're ready to invest time in some of the passage review strategies we outline on Day 9 and Day 29. Once your timing is down, I'd start with the keyword review strategy and maybe also write a brief one sentence summary of each paragraph when you're reviewing. Overtime, you'll find your comprehension increasing as you start to practice these strategies day in and day out. Best of luck and please let us know if there is any way we can help!

Hi TestingSolutions, I have recently found your post. CARS is my weakest section. I got only 121 on TPR Course test for the CARS section and recently I just did first 5 passages of AAMC question packs with only 12/35 correct -> 33% only. I'm pretty much overwhelmed right now since my test is in a month. Any tips for me at this point please?
Looking forward to hearing back from you soon

@springstudyer2016 - I have a few questions for you. 1) When you took the 5 AAMC passages, did you feel like you didn't understand the passages? Was it that you didn't understand what the questions were asking? Or was it that you ran out of time? I understand that it could be overwhelming to be looking at those sorts of percentages, but I suspect there are a few tweaks we can make that will get you out of those percentages pretty easily. I'd focus on your timing and then also practice letting go of the hardest questions. We wrote an article not too long ago about things you could do today to start to improve your score. "The Top 5 Ways to Improve Your CARS Score Today." These would be a good place to start, but of course I'd also recommend you read this guide. Best of luck and feel free to check back in as you take more passages.

@TestingSolutions

I am noticing that I am having an issue with passages about abstract and philosophical subject matter. I have a tough time trying to understand both the structure of the passage during my 10 second paragraph opening sentence scan and the main idea during my entire read through. What tips do you have?

Another issue I am having relates to timing. I was doing well when I was timing myself for the passages individually, but am now over time when I began doing 3 and 4 passages consecutively (without checking the time at the end of each passage). What suggestions do you have?

@majinpatrick - In regards to your second question, most people struggle somewhat to transition to the consecutive passage blocks. If you're wanting to do four passages total, I'd recommend you do two blocks of two passages. When that feels comfortable, try doing three in a row. Then when that's no longer a problem add a fourth.

Regarding your first question, it may just be that these are the hardest passage types for you. I think overall you can do a few things to make them easier: 1) When you realize you're doing a philosophy passage, give yourself permission to take a little longer reading the passage. Instead of a 15 second pre-scan, take 20 or even 25 seconds. I think you should also prioritize reviewing these passages over the others. Try using the keyword review we recommend on Day 9 or try writing a brief summary of each paragraph when you're reviewing the passage. We outline an in-depth review protocol on Day 29 that will help guide you in breaking down the passage in front of you. Best of luck and please keep the questions coming!

High @TestingSolutions do you recommend applying the same CARS passage strategy you outlined here on science based passages with in other sections of the MCAT? Or do you recommend tackling science based passages some other way?

I think there is a lot of cross over, but I'd recommend you use other companies for the particular strategies. We specialize in CARS and I'd hate to lead you astray by making a general statement that everything we recommend will serve you well on other sections of the test. Best of luck!

@TestingSolutions
Thank you so much for this wonderful program!
Quick question regarding day 9: do you recommend reading the passage and answering Qs as normal and THEN doing a keyword review of the passage? Also, if timing is still an issue, should we even bother with keyword review?

@mcatcars - We recommend you do the passages normally under timed conditions and THEN do a keyword review of the passage while you're reviewing the passages. If timing is still an issue, it won't hurt you to do one or two keyword reviews, but I wouldn't have it be your primary focus or have you invest all that much time initially. You're better served by doing more passages and practicing your timing until it's no longer an issue. Best of luck and keep the questions coming!

Hi Testing Solutions, thanks so much for the tips. I've been following your 30 Day Guide, and just recently finished it. Because I'm a month away from my exam, I've started to do full-lengths more frequently. When I started off with one to four passages, my timing would be on point (sometimes I would finish with 3-4 minutes left), and I would average one to two questions wrong per passage. Now however, while doing 9 passages, I find myself struggling to finish the last two passages in time, and am averaging about 21-23 questions wrong per entire section (in EK Practice Test and your T1). How do I fix my timing for an entire section?

@funnyswimmer94 -This is a pretty common problem to have. You've basically tripled your work overnight. I'd recommend you working your way up over a week or two. If you're still wanting to do 9 passages, try doing a block of 5 in a row, and then doing another block of 4 after resetting your clock. Over time add another passage and then another until you work up to 8 or 9 passages consecutively. It takes a lot of mental stamina to do 9 CARS passages in a row. Working your way up to it will give you a solid foundation and will also not be as frustrating early on. Best of luck and keep the questions coming!

I've been following the program and am at day 24 but I noticed that I still go over by a 1 minute when I do 4 tests timed together, still rushing to finish. The day 25 post mentions that it should not take more than 4 minutes to read the passage but I take 5minutes every time to read the passage. I'm afraid that if I read faster then I won't catch all the arguments made, are there any tips or tricks to speed up the reading? I've stopped doing the 4 passages together and am doing independent passages.

@Student_16 - Well, I'd recommend you set a second timer for 4.5 minutes and use it when you're reading through the passages. When those 4.5 minutes are up, you're done reading the passage. It will only take you a few painful times to train yourself to read the passage in 4.5 minutes. Then work your way down over a week or two to 4 minutes. I'd recommend you return to doing 4 passages together. Doing independent passages is the first stair step, but you have to get used to managing your time over multiple passages and having to use your brain on CARS for increasingly longer periods of time without a break until you get up to 90 minutes. I think you're going backwards in terms of doing independent passages. Best of luck on your CARS preparations and don't hesitate to ask more questions!

I was that student that never knew why I was failing the CARS section when I would always walk out of the test feeling like I aced that section. I was that student that always thought CARS is something you cannot study for. I was also that student that took the test twice and got a 123 both times. The only thing I did differently when taking the test the third time around was that I practiced with more stringent time conditions and with many passages as suggested. I also took the passages and pasted them onto a microsoft doc and zoomed out to 120% and practice with this zoomed setting so that I can stimulate the real mcat testing situation. I did it!!! I finally broke the 123 barrier and got a 127. The reason why I am saying this is I was extremely depressed that my score was 123 for the longest time and taking the test a third time was a lot of pressure, but I still managed to improve so don't lose hope! A bit about me…I took the mcat at the end of sophomore year summer after 3 months of studying and got a 26. I took the new version of the mcat having studied for an additional 3 more months and got a 502 (26 again). The third time I took the test I got a 506 (29) and now I'm getting ready to apply! So don't lose hope or get overwhelmed by the # of posts with 510+ because statistics show that there is only 33% of the population getting that score and much lower percentages for scores that are 520+. Only people who do well post so don't let that bother you. Just keep practicing! Good luck future physicians!!! :)

@Aspiring-Doctor - Congratulations on your improvement and your diligence and steadfastness! I'm sure I speak for everyone in thanking you for sharing. These stories are so important. Best of luck on your application and check in so we can all celebrate your results! Best of luck!

Hi testingsolutions, thank you for making this CARS guide, which has been very helpful in my CARS preparation. For the first portion of my preparation I've been using TPRH and was able to get my timing down. However, as I progressed through the book there were passages where the majority of questions and answer choices were significantly longer, which obviously threw me off, so I was not able to finish within the allotted time. Do you have any suggestions?

@Coolbeans001 - I think TPRH is a strong resource, but there are some differences which you point out. I'd recommend using a variety of resources and as always, your best bet is to use the AAMC CARS passages as the best indication of what conditions you'll face on test day. It may be good to do 3 or 4 AAMC passages just so you have a reference point to use to compare your practice materials too. I'd always recommend that you try and use the most accurate and similar resources available and this includes question and passage length. Best of luck and please keep your questions coming!

Hey there. I've been practicing cars forever it seems and still feel like its impossible. i know its not but I'm doing terrible. maybe I'm not capturing the main idea well enough. I feel like i read too slow or like i won't remember the facts i need to answer questions. so i always go back to the passages. help?!
- cars struggle

@TestingSolutions Hi there, I wanted to stay thank you for your guide. I have been following your guide for 2 weeks now and my big day is August 25th. My CARS score are consistently bad ( I get 3/5, OR 2/7, etc).I get rarely a 5/6.

Time wise I finish reading and answering usually right on time or a bit before.

What you think the problem is? and do you think it is a good time now start reviewing my passages

PS: I have been practicing with EK 101. Big day is August 25th

Last edited:
Hi there,

I've followed you guide and I have about a month and a half left until my exam. Reading comprehension has always been my absolute worst area in school ever since I can remember so CARS has been a struggle for me. My speed in reading isn't optimal as I finish 4 passages at a time in about 45 mins, and I consistently score 50% on those passages. How on earth do I increase my gradually increase my score? It's just tough because as I feel I got a question right, it ends up being wrong..

Hey there. I've been practicing cars forever it seems and still feel like its impossible. i know its not but I'm doing terrible. maybe I'm not capturing the main idea well enough. I feel like i read too slow or like i won't remember the facts i need to answer questions. so i always go back to the passages. help?!
- cars struggle

@Happygalxoxo - The best way to measure your investment with CARS practice is by the number of passages you've completed. Calendar time doesn't seem to matter that much. How many passages would you say you've done? Also, reading slow is almost never the true problem when it comes to improving on the CARS. As we've outlined in our guide, the average reader could finish reading all of the passages on the CARS section and still have over a minute to answer each question. A better way to try and improve your timing is to limit how often you go back to the passage. Often, this doesn't help anyways. There's a temptation to think that the answer is "in" the passage, but this is rarely directly true on the CARS. You have to develop the ability to synthesize the passage. The only way to do this is by practice. There are unfortunately no quick shortcuts to improvement on the CARS. Follow this guide day in and day out, moving slowly and I really think you'll see the improvement you want. It's a ton of hard work though and won't come easy. There's no other way! I wish I had a magic tip for you but I don't. Take a look at this guide and keep the questions coming. Best of luck!

@TestingSolutions Hi there, I wanted to stay thank you for your guide. I have been following your guide for 2 weeks now and my big day is August 25th. My CARS score are consistently bad ( I get 3/5, OR 2/7, etc).I get rarely a 5/6.

Time wise I finish reading and answering usually right on time or a bit before.

What you think the problem is? and do you think it is a good time now start reviewing my passages

PS: I have been practicing with EK 101. Big day is August 25th

@sh.h - If your timing is on track, I'd recommend you start investing time in reviewing your practice tests. Have you taken a look at our "How to properly review a practice test?" post on Day 29? Also, the keyword review strategy we outline helps a lot of students. If your scores have stagnated and your timing is no longer a critical issue, you're now ready to start reviewing and developing your CARS intuition regarding questions. Over time, you'll gain the ability to synthesize the passage, finding the main idea and then being able to apply it. I'd recommend you take a look at our recommendations regarding reviewing practice tests and go from there.

Best of luck and keep up the hard work. You've got plenty of time to get to where you want to be by August 25th.

Hi there,

I've followed you guide and I have about a month and a half left until my exam. Reading comprehension has always been my absolute worst area in school ever since I can remember so CARS has been a struggle for me. My speed in reading isn't optimal as I finish 4 passages at a time in about 45 mins, and I consistently score 50% on those passages. How on earth do I increase my gradually increase my score? It's just tough because as I feel I got a question right, it ends up being wrong..

@mmorkos - The problem isn't your reading speed. My guess is that your problem is that you are returning to the passage too much. Read through our guide, we outline how even the average reader could get through all 9 passages and still have over a minute per question. I'd recommend you stop returning to the passage until you get your timing down. Read through the passage once and then that's it. Once your timing/ pacing is down, you'll then be ready to start looking at how you're approaching passages and improving your strategy. This is best achieved during the reviewing of practice passages. I can't stress this enough though, if your timing isn't down, don't bother with reviewing. You'll never crack 125 without solid timing. On those questions where you feel like you should have gotten them right, but didn't, those are the ones were you should invest the most time! Best of luck and keep the questions coming!

Hello,
I'm currently studying for the Aug 25th MCAT and I'm really struggling with CARS. I've purchased the NS strategy and practice books and have been using them to practice CARS. So far, I've been doing the passages untimed (takes me about 2 hr to do all 9 passages) and have been scoring about 60-70% range (raw score). I'm feeling quite discouraged and hopeless as I'm only a month away from exam day. I know there is a lot for me to learn in terms of picking up the strategies etc.

My main problem when reading these passages is that I don't understand what the passage is about. I feel like they're in a completely different language. I struggle the most with anything that has to do with philosophy/religion. When I go back to review the passages, I feel like the answers (at least from the NS explanations) are so unreasonable and require extra outside knowledge in that topic and even re-reading the passage isn't really helping me understand.

Any tips would be really helpful at this point.

Thanks!

@TestingSolutions I'm following all the advice for this blog. And as I am going through practice passages, and checking what I got right or wrong. I keep getting 1 right out of all the questions I've done. Sometimes I'm lucky to get 3 right but I don't understand how I get those right. I can barely understand these passages and I feel like I keep guessing for the right answers. It's so daunting! I time myself under timed conditions for each passage and stay within the range but as I am reading I keep looking at time. I read these passages for structure and to get the gist, but sadly even when I thought I understood the passage the answers I select turn out to be completely wrong. So now I need further help as to why my problem has no solution....am I not capable of improving or am I a lost cause? This is frustrating as it is the one area of my mcat prep that has been discouraging me.

Last edited:
Hi @TestingSolutions . I have been practicing using an assortment of material from EK, TPR and NextStep. I have all AAMC material as well. I'm testing in about 5 weeks. Currently, my timing is not bad - although I usually finish just on time/rush for the last passage. On average, I'm scoring 37-43/53 correct for FL's, just recently took the Testing Solutions online test 1 and scored 35/53 (although the timer stopped working I think I went over by a good 10 minutes). On the official guide questions, I managed to get 87% correct :) , but I timed each passage separately giving myself 10 minutes per passage. I seem to have hit a wall in terms of moving forward. My goal is to become like Neo in going through these passages (i.e. need a score of 130/131). I do analyze all my tests in detail after I'm done, however I often find myself losing interest/focus/having to reread parts of a passage (literally start fidgeting with fingers lol). I think it might just be a bad case of burning out - not sure though. I've also begun taking FL's twice a week at this point, and going through the lengthy process which you detail in the guide for each test's CARs section is not really feasible - I just read in detail why each answer might be wrong, sometimes taking note of patterns in my mistakes.

Any suggestions moving forward? Beginning to get anxious as I'm finding I haven't been able to really hit my target score yet. Thanks.

Hello,
I'm currently studying for the Aug 25th MCAT and I'm really struggling with CARS. I've purchased the NS strategy and practice books and have been using them to practice CARS. So far, I've been doing the passages untimed (takes me about 2 hr to do all 9 passages) and have been scoring about 60-70% range (raw score). I'm feeling quite discouraged and hopeless as I'm only a month away from exam day. I know there is a lot for me to learn in terms of picking up the strategies etc.

My main problem when reading these passages is that I don't understand what the passage is about. I feel like they're in a completely different language. I struggle the most with anything that has to do with philosophy/religion. When I go back to review the passages, I feel like the answers (at least from the NS explanations) are so unreasonable and require extra outside knowledge in that topic and even re-reading the passage isn't really helping me understand.

Any tips would be really helpful at this point.

Thanks!

@pch - Thanks for writing and I'm sorry to hear that CARS has been a struggle up to this point. You're not alone in this at all! It is very common to have many starts and stops with CARS. I think the first thing I would recommend is that you ALWAYS take your passages timed. Not only does taking passages untimed not help you at all for the CARS, but it actually hurts you a lot because it completely throws off your timing and pacing for when you try to do them in the real time constraints of the exam. It doesn't matter if you get 100% right when taking 2 hours. That doesn't help you or mean anything, because you only have 90 minutes. You have to take the passages using the correct timing (as we outline in our guide on Day 3).

For a passage with 5 questions | 9 Minutes
For a passage with 6 questions | 10.5 Minutes
For a passage with 7 questions | 12 Minutes

If you don't, you're just setting yourself up for failure. It's possible your percentage correct will go down some at first, but overtime and with practice your gains will be real gains instead of artificial ones brought about being giving yourself extra time that you won't have on test day.

I think your best bet is to use our passage stair step strategy. Start being doing three passages timed individually in a block. If you want to do more, then do another three passage block timed individually after. If you're having trouble understanding the passages you're reading, the quickest way to improve is to start doing our Keyword Review that we outline on Day 9. Keywords are like handholds when you're climbing up a mountain. They will allow you to find your way and keep your forward momentum up. Push yourself through the passage and when you're done, follow our keyword procedure.

Unfortunately, there are absolutely no shortcuts when it comes to CARS. There is no tip or strategy that I can give you that will send your score skyrocketing. But if you apply these strategies that we outline in this guide and do a ton of passages, over time you will see improvement. If you're unhappy with NS, it might be a good idea to try out one of the other companies out there (EK, TPR, Testing Solutions, etc.). Or take some of the AAMC released CARS practice materials (the study guide in particular is a great resource with 5 passages, it gives you a sense of what you'll face come test day. The Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (4th Edition)) Thanks for writing and keep up the hard work. Please let us know how we can help!

@TestingSolutions I'm following all the advice for this blog. And as I am going through practice passages, and checking what I got right or wrong. I keep getting 1 right out of all the questions I've done. Sometimes I'm lucky to get 3 right but I don't understand how I get those right. I can barely understand these passages and I feel like I keep guessing for the right answers. It's so daunting! I time myself under timed conditions for each passage and stay within the range but as I am reading I keep looking at time. I read these passages for structure and to get the gist, but sadly even when I thought I understood the passage the answers I select turn out to be completely wrong. So now I need further help as to why my problem has no solution....am I not capable of improving or am I a lost cause? This is frustrating as it is the one area of my mcat prep that has been discouraging me.

@UchennaOz4 - Thanks for writing! I'm sorry to hear that preparing for CARS has been so discouraging and frustrating. It's not uncommon, but that doesn't make it any better. For most premeds, the CARS is by far the hardest section. If you are consistently getting only one question right, I suspect there is a fundamental breakdown while you're reading the passage the first time through. My first recommendation would be to put your timer out of sight and out of reach so you cannot check it while you're doing passages. Here's what to do when you have no idea what you're reading:

What to Do When You Are Struggling to Understand a Difficult Passage:

Tips for when you're taking a CARS test:

1) The first thing you need to do is to stay calm. Don't let the "I'm not going to get into medical school" meltdown occur. Everyone that is taking the MCAT is going to be facing the same difficult passage you are and they're no smarter than you. When you realize it's a difficult passage. Take a few deep breaths to center yourself.

2) Remember that often times, difficult passages have easy questions. What counts on the MCAT are the questions, not your comprehension of the passage. Theoretically those two will correspond, but not always. When the MCAT serves up a hard passage to you, part of what they're trying to do is get into your head and freak you out. Slow down, and realize that while the passage is hard, the questions will as often as not be much easier.

3) You're going to want to read through the passage at a slower rate than you would for a medium or easy passage. At the beginning of your prep for the CARS, I recommend a standard set of times depending on the number of questions. As you develop a sense of the correct pace for the CARS, you can step away from those passage times and invest more time in the harder passages, while spending less time on the easier ones. Once your timing is down, I'd recommend taking 5 or even 6 minutes to read a really difficult passage, while maybe only 3 for an easy one. It's ok to read slow. It's even ok to reread a sentence or two, or even a paragraph if you think it will help.

4) Remember that you're only going to be tested on between 20% and 35% of the content in the passage, thus 100% mastery is not necessary nor is it expected by the AAMC. Read for structure not details. I like to think of hard passages as kind of like climbing a mountain. You've got to look for your next handhold. Pick up as much information as you can,. Try to find the one idea or point you think the author is making in the paragraph, and let go of the rest.

5) You don't have to get every question right to do really well on the CARS. You can miss up to 8 questions and still get a 128. Even if your percentage for a hard passage drops down to 50%, you've only missed 3 questions, which in the grand scheme of it all isn't really that much. The real danger is spending far to much time on a hard passage, and messing yourself up for the rest of the test. Remember that the question that keeps you out of medical school is not the one you missed, but the one you spent too much time on.
Tips for when you're review a CARS test:

1) Difficult passages require significantly more effort and time than easy passages review. If you find yourself with one of those passages that you feel like you don't understand at all, sit down and fight with it. Spend as much time as it takes. I highly recommend using our review method while filling out our passage review worksheets. (Download the following handouts: How to Review a CARS Practice Test and Passage Review Worksheet).

2) If you're studying for the MCAT you're obviously a bright person. There is no reason that you shouldn't be able to understand a passage. If it takes an hour for you to get through it, fine, spend an hour. These are the opportunities for you to grow and strengthen your CARS taking skills. Struggling to understanding a difficult passage in the review phase is one of the best ways to improve your reading comprehension and developing your CARS skills.

3) Have you been consistently doing our "Keywords Review?" This really strengthens your ability to breakdown passages and see their mechanics and flow. Take a look at Day 8 for a refresher.

4) While we have a series of posts that go in-depth on how to review a CARS passage (Download the tip sheet above), I'll do a brief overview here:
a) Wait at least four hours to review your practice test
b) Read the passage once through without a timer. Keep yourself moving at a good place, but take as much time as you need to understand it.
c) Read through the passage again but this time, after every paragraph, write a one or two sentence summary. Reread the paragraph as many times as you need until you are able to write a summary.
d) After writing a summer for each paragraph, "Paint Your Way to the Main Idea." (Take a look at Day 10 if you need a refresher)
- What's the frame of this passage?
- What's the subject matter of this passage?
- What's the point of this passage?​
e) After "Painting your Way to the Main Idea," write down a one or two sentence summary of the entire passage.
5) Reviewing passages takes a lot of time and energy, especially if you're reviewing a hard passage. This is why it is important to give yourself a break and some time in between taking the practice test and reviewing it. If you're reviewing your practice test when your energy is slow and you're tired, it's unlikely you'll make much improvement or learn much, because you'll just be doing it for the sake of doing it. Work hard and struggle with these passages, and if you review them like we advise, you will improve.

6) Finally, if you're having a complete breakdown, it's possible there is a language issue. If English is your second (or third) language, you might need to do some extra reading such as the New York Times, Economist, or a philosophy textbook for a few months before actively starting to study for the CARS. This is the only time I advise this sort of reading, but 3 or 4 months of reading one or two articles a day has helped out many of ESL MCATer.

7) If English is your first language, but you're still having a complete breakdown, take a highlighter and go through the hard passage you're not able to understand and mark any words whose meaning you couldn't explain to a ten year old. If you have more than one or two words per passage, you would probably benefit from a vocabulary building course, as you might be losing out on a lot of meaning. It's incredible how we just skip over words we don't know without realizing it. You'll have to be diligent in reviewing your passages to make sure your vocabulary is where it needs to be at.

8) Is it possible you have ADHD or a learning disability? The MCAT gives testing accommodations for such things. This is noting to be ashamed of. There are a ton of docs out there right now that had to face similar obstacles. It's better to find out now and get help than waiting until later.
Don't get discouraged. Keep up the hard work. Try doing only one or two passages a day at first and working your way up. Our CARS stair step approach has helped many people build up to a full-length practice test. You might be trying to do too many passages. Best of luck and keep your questions coming!

Last edited: