Texas A&M c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BQ2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy! I didn't see any other posts for this year's applicants so I just wanted to see if there were any other future Aggie vets out there :)

And if there are, I was wondering if any returning applicants noticed that there is no required essay on the supplemental like they had last year discussing what motivates you to become a vet and what you would like to gain and contribute to the profession. I thought that was odd.

Anyways, I would love to have others to commiserate with through this process and offer or gain some help from others also applying. Gig 'em :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

This will be my first application cycle to any vet school! I went to A&M for my undergrad and loved it, so it seems like the clear choice. Besides, I'm currently paying for my Master's out-of-pocket, so I can't afford applying to more than one school this round (especially since A&M insists on using TMDSAS...). :scared:

Good luck to all the applicants! Hopefully we'll all be hearing good news come next March! :thumbup:

I went to A&M for undergrad too - BIMS '09. I'm working on my masters there right now too. Are you in the grad program there? And if you need any help this is my second time applying so after having my counseling session with Yolanda I learned a couple of things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! I was WFSC/ANSC '10. And no, I did get into the Master's in Veterinary Public Health at A&M, but I also got into the MPH in Epidemiology through the UT Heath Science Center. Dr. Russell advised me that getting the MPH would be better suited to my future career goals as a veterinary epidemiologist...so...I'm currently a Longhorn, but I still bleed maroon! ;)

I might just take you up on that offer! I've finished my application aside from my personal statement. I just can't seem to sit down and start it! Also, I've finished the supplemental app, but I noticed it still had 2010 dates... Should I have waited?

And if there are, I was wondering if any returning applicants noticed that there is no required essay on the supplemental like they had last year discussing what motivates you to become a vet and what you would like to gain and contribute to the profession. I thought that was odd.

Hrm, is it optional now or just not there any more? They may have just done away with it though. May have decided it didn't fit in with the new MMI interviewing format. They seemed to like that last year so I'm sure it'll be back this year.

Awesome! I was WFSC/ANSC '10. And no, I did get into the Master's in Veterinary Public Health at A&M, but I also got into the MPH in Epidemiology through the UT Heath Science Center. Dr. Russell advised me that getting the MPH would be better suited to my future career goals as a veterinary epidemiologist...so...I'm currently a Longhorn, but I still bleed maroon! ;)

I might just take you up on that offer! I've finished my application aside from my personal statement. I just can't seem to sit down and start it! Also, I've finished the supplemental app, but I noticed it still had 2010 dates... Should I have waited?

I love Dr. Russell - he is such a sweet old man. I've taken a couple of his classes.

As far as writing those essays - they are a pain. I'm recycling the essays I used last year but they can be VERY time consuming. I recommend going to a library to write...there's no tv or fridge or noisy neighbors to distract you there. I've used the University Writing Center inside Evans Library and they were incredibly helpful. If the school you're at now offers something like that I would definately recommend something like that. I would also be willing to help and give it a fresh pair of eyes if you want to email me once you finish.

I looked at the supplemental app page and the dates are wrong but if you go to the prospective student page they have the right dates (Sept. 30 instead of Oct. 1) and a deadline calendar.

HopefulAg- yeah I checked a bunch of times to make sure I wasn't losing it. Its just not there. But that makes sense if they changed up the format with the interviews. Besides the essay was so similar to the TMDSAS app maybe they realized the redunancy :)

Hi,

I'm applying to A&M too this year. I didn't go to A&M for undergrad, but i was a hop-skip away in H-Ville. So excited for this application process and hoping for the best! Can't wait to meet everyone. :)

Welcome! Bearkat....isn't that Klein HS? I went to Cy-Creek back in the day. Did you go to U of H?

Welcome! Bearkat....isn't that Klein HS? I went to Cy-Creek back in the day. Did you go to U of H?

No, It's Sam Houston State University, in huntsville. So i suppose that answers your second question lol I went to SHSU.

Ohhhh....I didn't know the bearkat was the mascot for Sam Houston too.

This is my second time applying and I have a bit of experience so if you need any help or suggestions, I'm happy to help :)

I'll be applying to Texas A&M as well, and this will be my first cycle. Has everyone taken the animal nutrition and animal science classes yet?

I'll be applying to Texas A&M as well, and this will be my first cycle. Has everyone taken the animal nutrition and animal science classes yet?

I have! I recommend taking Dr. Holub (ANSC 107) and Dr. Knabe (ANSC 303). General Animal Science is a breeze class. Just show up and you'll be set to make an A. :thumbup:

I have! I recommend taking Dr. Holub (ANSC 107) and Dr. Knabe (ANSC 303). General Animal Science is a breeze class. Just show up and you'll be set to make an A. :thumbup:

Thanks for your advice jlindp. I'm planning to take it at prairie view A&M though. It's half the distance :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohhhh....I didn't know the bearkat was the mascot for Sam Houston too.

This is my second time applying and I have a bit of experience so if you need any help or suggestions, I'm happy to help :)

Awesome, thanks. =)

Thanks for your advice jlindp. I'm planning to take it at prairie view A&M though. It's half the distance :D

Ah, totally understandable. But I can't help with professor choices there! I'm sure the material is the same, however. If you like farm-type animals, you'll love ANSC 107! Especially the corresponding lab.

Dr. Knabe is so funny and yeah that class was a nice break from the other classes I was taking that semester. I'm registered this fall to take the graduate level Animal Nutrition class and I hope its just as easy :)

Does anyone know if A&M looks at your highest score of each section or your highest score on an individual test? I did pretty well the 2nd time I took it. Then the 3rd time I scored lower on the Quant section but a whole point higher on the Analytical (4.0 to a 5.0). I was debating on whether or not to send them the 3rd score. I emailed them with no response. Any help is appreciated. Thanks:)

Does anyone know if A&M looks at your highest score of each section or your highest score on an individual test? I did pretty well the 2nd time I took it. Then the 3rd time I scored lower on the Quant section but a whole point higher on the Analytical (4.0 to a 5.0). I was debating on whether or not to send them the 3rd score. I emailed them with no response. Any help is appreciated. Thanks:)

They will take whichever individual test gives you the maximum amount of points. Quant and Analytical scores are weighed equally, but how many points are given for a certain score...I have no idea.

They will take whichever individual test gives you the maximum amount of points. Quant and Analytical scores are weighed equally, but how many points are given for a certain score...I have no idea.
The point breakdown for different sections of the application should be listed on their applicant website.

The point breakdown for different sections of the application should be listed on their applicant website.

Sorry, I meant that I don't know how many application points are awarded per GRE point. I assume you get the full application points for a perfect section score, but other than that... I don't know the breakdown. So, as for bearkat, I don't know if she (I assume!) will get more total points for a 1 point increase for the Analytical section (4.0 to 5.0), though her Quant score decreased or vice versa.

If that makes sense.

Haha, I am a she. lol no worries. Well I guess it wouldn't hurt to send them the 3rd scores, just in case that one works out better. Thanks for your help

Sorry, I meant that I don't know how many application points are awarded per GRE point. I assume you get the full application points for a perfect section score, but other than that... I don't know the breakdown. So, as for bearkat, I don't know if she (I assume!) will get more total points for a 1 point increase for the Analytical section (4.0 to 5.0), though her Quant score decreased or vice versa.

If that makes sense.

Oh, gotcha ;)

And bearkat - I was in the same boat and I just sent all my scores. It doesn't hurt. Although, for the application next year they will require the NEW GRE test scores....I was hoping I never had to take that stupid test again :(

Although, for the application next year they will require the NEW GRE test scores....I was hoping I never had to take that stupid test again :(

Ugh, I hope I never have to take that test again. Well, hopefully everything will work out this application cycle so neither of us will have to worry about that. :p

It depends on what your GRE score was and how it relates to your GPAs. But should you not get accepted, they do a post-mortem interview where it lays out exactly where you lost points, as far as the statistics portion goes (not quite so cut-and-dry on the subjective portions, like interviews) and that'll give you a better idea of whether you need to re-take the GRE.

I submitted my application and supplemental today....second times a charm? Oh well, here's to not giving up on my dream!

Also, has anyone else submitted yet? I got some funky numbers on the GPA calculations. For instance, my undergrad GPAs changed....I've been out of undergrad for 2 years now, how could it have changed? Probably going to give TMDSAS a ring tomorrow.

I submitted my application and supplemental today....second times a charm? Oh well, here's to not giving up on my dream!

Also, has anyone else submitted yet? I got some funky numbers on the GPA calculations. For instance, my undergrad GPAs changed....I've been out of undergrad for 2 years now, how could it have changed? Probably going to give TMDSAS a ring tomorrow.

I haven't submitted yet, I'm still dragging along putting in all community service/extra curriculars, or at least the ones I can remember.. Jeez, I really should have written down every single thing I've ever done during undergrad. Oh well. lol. I'll probably wait to submit until early-mid September.. just to be sure everything is right.

Good luck!! :luck:

I haven't submitted mine yet, either. I did finish the supplemental, though. I'm still agonizing over my personal statement. :\

Also, good luck! I know many an applicant that made it in their second go-round. I'm sure you'll be just fine! :D

I haven't submitted yet, I'm still dragging along putting in all community service/extra curriculars, or at least the ones I can remember.. Jeez, I really should have written down every single thing I've ever done during undergrad. Oh well. lol. I'll probably wait to submit until early-mid September.. just to be sure everything is right.

Good luck!! :luck:

Thanks! Yeah, those community service and extra curriculars are time consuming. For the ones that went in one or more categories I just copied and pasted the little descriptions. But then again I didn't have a whole lot to remember because most of my time was with the Corps and the Aggie Band.

I haven't submitted mine yet, either. I did finish the supplemental, though. I'm still agonizing over my personal statement. :\

Also, good luck! I know many an applicant that made it in their second go-round. I'm sure you'll be just fine! :D

I think I agonized over my personal statement forever! I didn't want it to sound too cheezy or cliche and made sure to have alot of personality in it. Turns out when I had someone at the University Writing Center read it, he said its one of the best ones he's seen. So if you're worried about that sort of thing too, no worries - everyone is their own harshest critic :) And of course, I would be happy to read it if you like and offer any suggestions :D

For instance, my undergrad GPAs changed....I've been out of undergrad for 2 years now, how could it have changed? Probably going to give TMDSAS a ring tomorrow.

Did you have to resend all your transcripts since it is your second time applying?

Did you have to resend all your transcripts since it is your second time applying?

Yes I did send in my transcripts again. I've been taking graduate courses since I last applied. However, even if you haven't taken any classes since the last time you applied you still have to send in a transcript every year you apply.

Hey guys! I'm applying to A&M this year too! I figured I would say hello and wish everyone the best! This is my second year applying to vet school, but first time to Texas. I'm a Florida Gator and love it, but would love to be in Texas for vet school! Hope to talk to you all soon!

Hey guys! I'm applying to A&M this year too! I figured I would say hello and wish everyone the best! This is my second year applying to vet school, but first time to Texas. I'm a Florida Gator and love it, but would love to be in Texas for vet school! Hope to talk to you all soon!

Hi! and welcome!! Good Luck! :D

Yup, 2nd time is the charm in a lot of cases. Third time's the charm for some people as well! :D

So I just submitted A&M's application, yikes! :eek: now begins the wait. I'm going to be a nervous wreck for the next few months. Hopefully I can divert these nerves elsewhere like working out or a hobby.

Although, I'm starting to worry a bit about the GPA's shown on TMDSAS. My over all was a little lower than expected, about .10 difference. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.. and it all depends on who else is applying.

Good luck guys! :xf:

Hey everyone! I'm applying to TAMU this year....again. I first applied in 2008, got rejected, earned a teaching certificate in ag science, and decided I didn't want to do anything else but be a vet, so here I am. I went to A&M for undergrad (ANSC '05) and graduate school (AGED '08) too...oh yeah, and I'm a local. I have a decent overall GPA but just average GRE scores, and more than 6000 hours of actual vet experience. I have no clue what my chances are.

I submitted everything last week and I know they have everything...but I guess we won't get any kind of correspondence until they send out interview offers and those dreaded "thanks but no thanks" letters. Anyone heard anything different this year?

Although, I'm starting to worry a bit about the GPA's shown on TMDSAS. My over all was a little lower than expected, about .10 difference. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.. and it all depends on who else is applying.

I worried alot about it too last year but they go through it comparing with your transcript and sometimes it changes. But regardless, you gave it your all, can't do anything about it now so don't let it get you down :) In a dorky, nerdy kind of way, hearing that "Firework" song by Katy Perry gets me feeling better about the situation....but thats just me :p Good luck!!!! :luck: I submitted my application last month and honestly haven't thought much about it. I got a personal trainer so I've been working out alot maybe that would get it off your mind too!

Hey jalyndani! I was BIMS '09 and will have a BIMS masters degree in December (whoop!). The big things I guess that have changed for this year is the format of the interviews (MMI I think is the acronymn- someone please correct me if I'm wrong) and this is the last year they're taking this version of the GRE. Other than that I don't think much else has changed. Good luck! :luck:

You're also obviously a member of the band, hm? ;) (Unless the nickname BQ means something different now than what it did when I was an undergrad non-reg. :D )

You're also obviously a member of the band, hm? ;) (Unless the nickname BQ means something different now than what it did when I was an undergrad non-reg. :D )

Haha, nope still means 'Band Qualified' or as the CTs put it: 'Band Queer' But yes, proud member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band and Corps of Cadets :D

Well, everything is in! Except for one LOR...though TMDSAS gives until the 7th to get those in. I hope the "NOT RECEIVED" status changes on Monday, though...'cause I'm a little nervous!

Good luck everyone! I was told we'd know around 12/22 if we get an invite or not. :scared: Happy thoughts until then!

Haha, nope still means 'Band Qualified' or as the CTs put it: 'Band Queer' But yes, proud member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band and Corps of Cadets :D

The hell? You did BIMS, the Corps, and the band and still managed to survive with a decent enough GPA to apply to vet school? Mad props.

What instrument?

Well, everything is in! Except for one LOR...though TMDSAS gives until the 7th to get those in. I hope the "NOT RECEIVED" status changes on Monday, though...'cause I'm a little nervous!

Good luck everyone! I was told we'd know around 12/22 if we get an invite or not. :scared: Happy thoughts until then!

Yep, so we're either going to get a FANTASTIC Christmas present from TAMU or a really shi!tty one. :scared:

OOS applicant, here!

Wait, I thought we had until the 15th? I have a straggling LOR too :annoyed:

OOS applicant, here!

Wait, I thought we had until the 15th? I have a straggling LOR too :annoyed:

Oh, yep, yep... You're right, sorry! Just the payment is due in by the 7th. Nervous reading makes for poor reading, apparently! :thumbdown:

The hell? You did BIMS, the Corps, and the band and still managed to survive with a decent enough GPA to apply to vet school? Mad props.

What instrument?

lol, thanks but I wouldn't say the Corps/Band was conducive to academics with all the responsibilities and traveling. The first time I applied I just barely made the cut-off, thus I'm in grad school which has helped my GPA tremendously. Its been a rough road but I played up the fact in my essays that I was getting alot of leadership experience, etc. I played piccolo :D

Blaaargh. My last evaluation still hasn't come in and the professor isn't responding to my e-mails. Must not freak out. Must NOT freak out.

Last edited:
Hey!

This is my second time applying to A&M. I interviewed last year and did my post mortem. At the time Yolanda Brinkman metioned that they probably would eliminate the essay (which they did). Hopefully second time really is the charm!

Blaaargh. My last evaluation still hasn't come in and the professor isn't responding to my e-mails. Must not freak out. Must NOT freak out.

Is she/he nearby? It would be worth a trip. Or I would try calling whatever department he/she works in and ask if they are out sick or at a conference or something. Do you have their phone number? No worries though, you still have a bit of time. :)

Hi Bandierose! This is my second time applying too and I'm also hoping that second time is the charm :luck:

Another second-timer here. Buuuut I'm not expecting anything. I applied to other schools this time around.

Is she/he nearby? It would be worth a trip. Or I would try calling whatever department he/she works in and ask if they are out sick or at a conference or something. Do you have their phone number? No worries though, you still have a bit of time. :)

She works for A&M and is actually an adcom, which is why I really, really wanted her LOR to get in! She actually texted me this morning to let me know that she has mailed the evaluation today! It should arrive tomorrow or Saturday since it's a short trip from Austin to College Station. Needless to say...HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF! :thumbup:

Seriously though, good luck to everyone! We all deserve to get in, but especially you two- or three-timers! :love:

jlindp, I love how both of our names on here, when sounded out phonetically, say "jay-lin-dee" . Lol.