Texas A&M c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was my understanding that that question was supposed to be on the TMDSAS application last year and they(TMDSAS) used a different one instead. This year they got it right so there was no essay on the supplemental application.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I meant that I don't know how many application points are awarded per GRE point. I assume you get the full application points for a perfect section score, but other than that... I don't know the breakdown. So, as for bearkat, I don't know if she (I assume!) will get more total points for a 1 point increase for the Analytical section (4.0 to 5.0), though her Quant score decreased or vice versa.

If that makes sense.

I am not sure of the exact breakdown, but my advisor (TAMU CVM and Biomedical Sciences) said a score of 1250 or better would put you in a good position.

I had a 1200 GRE and got 32 / 54 points. That was 3 years ago though.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was looking at the application confirmation page on the supp. App and it only shows 2 of the 3 evaluators as being received. Do they get all the evaluations at once or just as they come in by TMDSAS ? Also, its not showing anything umder the GRE scores though I've sent them all 3 scores.

Am I jumping the gun and freaking out too soon? Or should I give them a call? I can only imagine how many calls they get around this time. :confused:

So I was looking at the application confirmation page on the supp. App and it only shows 2 of the 3 evaluators as being received. Do they get all the evaluations at once or just as they come in by TMDSAS ? Also, its not showing anything umder the GRE scores though I've sent them all 3 scores.

Am I jumping the gun and freaking out too soon? Or should I give them a call? I can only imagine how many calls they get around this time. :confused:

I believe the evaluations come in as TMDSAS processes them, and the processing time is 10 business days for evaluations. Has it been over a week since TMDSAS transmitted to A&M? If so, I'd probably go ahead and give them a call.

I believe the evaluations come in as TMDSAS processes them, and the processing time is 10 business days for evaluations. Has it been over a week since TMDSAS transmitted to A&M? If so, I'd probably go ahead and give them a call.

It says the application was transmitted to A&M on October the 5th... so its been well over a week. The evaluation is missing is from the Vets I work with. According to TMDSAS they received the evaluation on September 20th and it was approved a couple of days later. So I know they received it, I just dont know why its not showing up on A&M's website.

I think I'll shoot them an email soon or call them when I get a chance tomorrow and make sure everything's in place. Thanks

It says the application was transmitted to A&M on October the 5th... so its been well over a week. The evaluation is missing is from the Vets I work with. According to TMDSAS they received the evaluation on September 20th and it was approved a couple of days later. So I know they received it, I just dont know why its not showing up on A&M's website.

I think I'll shoot them an email soon or call them when I get a chance tomorrow and make sure everything's in place. Thanks

Whoa, now I'm freaking out. There's a application confirmation page on TAMU's website??? Everything is submitted but where are you seeing this?? :scared:

Bahaha nevermind....I'm just blind :) Bearkat17, did you get everything figured out?

Bahaha nevermind....I'm just blind :) Bearkat17, did you get everything figured out?

Haha, sorry didnt mean to give you a scare. Yes, everything is straightened out now. I emailed them about it and the next day the GRE scores were showing and today I got an email back saying that they did in fact receive the 3rd evaluation, TMDSAS was just late in sending that one in I guess. So now everything is ok, thank goodness.

Just confirmed! Here are my stats:

Second Time Applying
GPA
overall: 3.77
last 45 hours: 3.7
science: 3.66
GRE: 1270
verbal: 570
quantitative: 700
analytical: 4.5

Hoping all goes well this time!!!

Just confirmed! Here are my stats:

Second Time Applying
GPA
overall: 3.77
last 45 hours: 3.7
science: 3.66
GRE: 1270
verbal: 570
quantitative: 700
analytical: 4.5

Hoping all goes well this time!!!

Are you accepted into admissions or are you talking about an interview?

I assume that'd be an interview, as admissions don't go out until Januaryish at the earliest (and that's for OOS students, it's generally March for IS).

Are you accepted into admissions or are you talking about an interview?

That was for confirmation of the supplemental application. As far as I'm aware, interview invites won't even be going out until mid- to late December.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard of any rejection notices yet?

We did mock interviews today through the ANSC department and no one we talked to had heard anything yet.

Just a heads up - I got a letter in the mail this weekend but it was just confirming completing all the prereqs for applying. They sent them out early December last year so I guess they're getting a head start. So if you see a letter in the mail this week....no worries :) Hope everyone is well!

I got one of those letters too, BQ. Does this mean we've made it past the computer system ...?

My co-worker, however, got the "Thanks but no thanks" letter yesterday. :(

Yeah, it means we passed all the requirements that includes prereq classes and minimum GPAs. I'm assuming your co-worker got that letter because he/she didn't meet the minimum GPA or one of those other types of requirements needed to apply. Now, I bet it means that they start sorting us by GPAs and the point system and start handing out the interview invites :/

Ah, yeah, I bet you're right. I got all excited when the letter wasn't a rejection. Lol. Oh well.

I am really getting frustrated with Texas A&M. I just got the letter about the prereqs and it says I have no acceptable courses for animal nutrition or biochemistry II. I took a class called Wildlife Nutrition at Arizona State and I had to go through a huge fiasco to get Texas A&M to approve this course for the animal nutrition prereq. They finally approved the course, but now it shows I have no acceptable course for animal nutrition. :annoyed:

Also, I talked to someone from the admissions committee a few months ago about the 5 credit requirement for biochem and explained to her that ASU only offers a 3 credit biochem class. She said that was fine and that different schools have different credit hours for biochem. However, the letter states I must take a biochem II when ASU doesn't even offer a biochem II.

Plus I have not yet taken a general animal science course and I don't want to pay the $1200 Kansas State is asking for to take their correspondence course.

Someone please convince me Texas A&M is worth all of this hassle. I'm an OOSer and I'm pretty sure if I have what it takes to get into Texas A&M then I will also be accepted by another school.

I had a similar problem last year. I substituted biochem II with a cellular phys class I had already taken. If you got the approval from them in writing than you should be good. Just remind them. I had to resend them the approval they had emailed me after I was accepted. Just make sure you have everything in writing and not just a verbal telephone conversation.

They won't let you in without the animal science class (or any other required prereq) unless you have a suitable approved substitute. Try looking at Oklahoma State's distance learning program. I believe they are cheaper than KSU.

I am really getting frustrated with Texas A&M. I just got the letter about the prereqs and it says I have no acceptable courses for animal nutrition or biochemistry II. I took a class called Wildlife Nutrition at Arizona State and I had to go through a huge fiasco to get Texas A&M to approve this course for the animal nutrition prereq. They finally approved the course, but now it shows I have no acceptable course for animal nutrition. :annoyed:

Also, I talked to someone from the admissions committee a few months ago about the 5 credit requirement for biochem and explained to her that ASU only offers a 3 credit biochem class. She said that was fine and that different schools have different credit hours for biochem. However, the letter states I must take a biochem II when ASU doesn't even offer a biochem II.

Plus I have not yet taken a general animal science course and I don't want to pay the $1200 Kansas State is asking for to take their correspondence course.

Someone please convince me Texas A&M is worth all of this hassle. I'm an OOSer and I'm pretty sure if I have what it takes to get into Texas A&M then I will also be accepted by another school.

Can't really say anything about the other two courses but with:

I assume you cleared it with them prior that you didn't need this course? If not, why did you apply when you didn't meet the prerequisites?

I assume you cleared it with them prior that you didn't need this course? If not, why did you apply when you didn't meet the prerequisites?

No, I know that I have to take the course but I have had trouble finding a school that will provide this class at a reasonable price.

No, I know that I have to take the course but I have had trouble finding a school that will provide this class at a reasonable price..

I just started the course with Oklahoma State and it has cost me $700 for tuition/fees and $50 for the book off Amazon. There are 7 exams though, and you either need to pay for a proctor or find a librarian/HR manager/teacher that would proctor for free. It honestly doesn't seem like it will take that much time to finish, and it seems easier than the Animal Nutrition class I already took - which was pretty easy itself.

Sorry... haven't been on here in a while. Just meant I confirmed my application. We won't know interview status until December 22.

Does Texas A&M consider fall grades in their interview decisions? I'll send my transcripts as soon as my grades are available, but I'm not sure that they'll get there before the December 22 decision day.

I'm pretty sure the decisions are made before the 22nd. Plus, they keep saying that everyone will know of their interview status BY December 22....

I'm in a similarly annoyed boat with TAMU. Aside from the Technical Writing pre-req (which I understand, but my school doesn't offer one that will suffice- they are super stringent- did I mention I've been published in two peer-reviewed academic journals?, also tried to use my senior honors thesis on my 2 years of biophysics research as proof that I can write and they have yet to respond as to whether or not it will count), I just got a letter saying that they can find no General Biology Course. I'm a Biophysics major- they don't give that one away without some form of General Biology. If I weren't from Texas, I wouldn't bother with the annoying TMDSAS system, the absurd prerequisites, and the annoying bureaucracy that doesn't answer questions in any sort of timely manner. *rant over*

I guess no one has heard anything yet from A&M?

Does anyone know or remember if they said they'd let us know about interviews via email again this year or should we expect a letter in the mail?

I'm in a similarly annoyed boat with TAMU. Aside from the Technical Writing pre-req (which I understand, but my school doesn't offer one that will suffice- they are super stringent- did I mention I've been published in two peer-reviewed academic journals?, also tried to use my senior honors thesis on my 2 years of biophysics research as proof that I can write and they have yet to respond as to whether or not it will count), I just got a letter saying that they can find no General Biology Course. I'm a Biophysics major- they don't give that one away without some form of General Biology. If I weren't from Texas, I wouldn't bother with the annoying TMDSAS system, the absurd prerequisites, and the annoying bureaucracy that doesn't answer questions in any sort of timely manner. *rant over*

Trust me, I know how you feel. I took a class from Arizona State called ENG301: Writing for Professionals and that satisfied the technical writing pre-req. Your school really doesn't offer any kind of technical or upper division writing class?
Don't know about gen bio class. That's a bummer. Good luck trying to get it all sorted out! I had to completely rearrange my schedule next semester to accomodate for the unforeseen Texas A&M pre-reqs.

Anyone who got the prerequisite letter, who did it say to contact? I forgot and left mine on my desk in North Carolina and my adviser wants to call and explain that seeing as I have already completed a minor in Biology she is certain I have a general biology equivalent, but that it probably went by a different name. Thanks

Just got my invite!! so excited!!

Oh well, 3 out of 4 ain't bad. *shrug*

Good luck to everyone! :)

Weehoo! Just checked my email and got my invite!

Remember to research MMI's. Interviews are harder then they seem. You get 2 min to read over a scenario and you have 5 minutes with the interviewers to discuss it. You don't get to really talk about yourself or your qualifications- or anything like that. You get pretty nervous, so practice with someone. I did really well on my interview last year, at least that's what Yolanda told me (avg 40, I got 60) and still got waitlisted. I was #15 on the waitlist and they only got to 13. I was really heart broken.... So be prepared :).

Remember to research MMI's. Interviews are harder then they seem. You get 2 min to read over a scenario and you have 5 minutes with the interviewers to discuss it. You don't get to really talk about yourself or your qualifications- or anything like that. You get pretty nervous, so practice with someone. I did really well on my interview last year, at least that's what Yolanda told me (avg 40, I got 60) and still got waitlisted. I was #15 on the waitlist and they only got to 13. I was really heart broken.... So be prepared :).

Do you remember what questions they asked you? I think you're right, this will be a lot harder than I imagined.

Not really. And they make u sign a form that says you won't even talk about the ?'s. Mostly ethical though. I had to really think about some. Super hard to brainstorm under pressure. At least they give you a paper and pen to outline your thoughts ;).

Do you remember what questions they asked you? I think you're right, this will be a lot harder than I imagined.

I really liked the MMI format a lot better than traditional interviews. It actually did really help me to practice with traditional interview questions though. My husband would ask me several questions each night and I would practice answering them. I didn't get anything like those questions in the interview, but it helped me practice thinking on my feet and answering questions quickly and confidently.

The first rejection hurts, I tell you. :(

Congrats to BearKat and Jlindp!! Hope you do FANTASTICALLY on your interviews! :D

Oh well, 3 out of 4 ain't bad. *shrug*

Good luck to everyone!

Wait, your stats were good enough for 3 OOS invites but not the IS one? Man, applying to vet school is such a crap shoot it's ridiculous.

Wait, your stats were good enough for 3 OOS invites but not the IS one? Man, applying to vet school is such a crap shoot it's ridiculous.

Lol yep. I've already been accepted to Ross and was invited to interview at Mississppi State and Western. But A&M flat out rejected me. Eh. I kinda figured it was coming.

First off, I have always considered myself a long-shot for Texas A&M. Last week when I received the email concerning the interview invite I became a little more hopeful but still very hesitant. However, after going back through the Texas A&M website, I realized that 10 of the 13 interviewed OOS applicants last year were offered acceptances. Is it safe to jump to the conclusion that I have a very high probability of getting accepted to Texas A&M? (given, of course, that I don't completely bomb the interview)

Last edited:
First off, I have always considered myself a long-shot for Texas A&M. Last week when I received the email concerning the interview invite I became a little more hopeful but still very hesitant. However, after going back through the Texas A&M website, I realized that 10 of the 13 interviewed OOS applicants last year were offered acceptances. Is it safe to jump to the conclusion that I have a very high probability of getting accepted to Texas A&M? (given, of course, that I don't completely bomb the interview)

Those are stats from 2 cycles ago (Fall 2010 matriculation). Since last year was the first year that they've done the MMI interviews, I wonder why last year's stats haven't been posted...?

First off- Congratulations! There's not a chance I would interview at TAMU if I were OOS. My feeling on that statistic on the website was that the OOS candidates that are being interviewed are so qualified that unless they bomb the interview, you're probably going to get in. That being said, I have no idea if it's true. So, I wouldn't fully consider yourself a shoe-in. Just prepare for the interview like it matters, but be relaxed and enjoy the Lone Star State while you're here.

Now my question- does anyone know who we send fall transcripts to? TMDSAS or TAMU directly- that system thoroughly baffles me.

Does anyone know if we are supposed to send Fall 2011 transcripts to TMDSAS or to A&M itself? I'm sure I read it somewhere but for the life of me I can not remember. Thanks!

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone who is interviewing! When do the interviews start? I think one of our professors said they are this weekend?