Texas A&M c/o 2019 applicants

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by pipab, 05.18.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. pipab

pipab PippiAbby 2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Hello everyone,

I have not seen Texas A&M c/o 2019 applicants thread yet. Thought must be good to start one so we can ask questions/share info regarding the application process.

I’m getting ready to apply, so excited, nervous, anxious, and confused at the same time. This is my first application cycle. I’m getting application information from TAMU website but not all that clear what to do. I would like to get advice from current students and fellow applicants. Is it only one LOR needed from a veterinarian? Is the applicant evaluation the same as LOR? I will be very much appreciated on any advice.

Also, good luck to all applicants.

Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Frozenshades

Frozenshades KSU c/o 2017! 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Unless they've changed policy, last year all you had them fill out was the supplied form; no other information (in fact if I remember right they even specified not to include any other attached letters). Only one of my three LORs was from a DVM. I was offered admission but declined my seat.

4. epivetlove

epivetlove Texas A&M c/o 2018! 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    What FS said! Also, be sure your evaluators really read their instructions (on the form) because a friend had one of her letters rejected due to the evaluator not signing the seal on the back of the envelope. Luckily she had plenty of time to resend, but it was stressful nonetheless!

Good luck c/o 2019 hopefuls! I'll be around all summer and will try to help as much as possible. :)

5. pipab

Pre-Veterinary
    Thanks. I don't know if the policy change or not. I assumed it is not. TAMU website still show application information of last cycle. I just registered to TMDSAS. I may have more questions along the line.

6. pipab

Pre-Veterinary
    Do you know anyone get accepted to TAMU with low animal/vet experience? (i.e. 500+ hours)
    I don't know if this is true or not. I heard that if students have less than 1000 hours, they think that the students are not serious enough to become a vet.

7. epivetlove

Veterinary Student
    I know an applicant that was accepted with 70 hours of vet experience. I don't know about his animal experience, but everything else about his application was perfect, though and he interviewed very, very well.

The more VET experience, and the more diversity, the better off you'll be. I've never heard the 1000-hour thing...

pipab likes this.
  8. superkelpie

superkelpie 5+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    A&M basically told me they don't really care about evals from professors and would much prefer vet evals--has anyone else heard this? Pretty odd, considering half of admission is based on academics...?

9. epivetlove

Veterinary Student
    I can't confirm or deny this. All my LORs were from veterinarians. One large animal practitioner, one small animal practitioner, and a clinical associate at the vet school. The last one was also an undergrad professor of mine.

I would pick the 3 people that you KNOW will write you the strongest evaluation possible. Obviously at least one must be a vet. The adcom member I spoke with said that they like to see evaluations from people who have known you a good amount of time (i.e. over a year).

10. Frozenshades

Veterinary Student
    Pretty sure I didn't have any more than maybe 800 hours.
    They might prefer it, but only one of my evals was from a DVM and it didn't matter. Epi's advice is good; get whoever you know the best/you think will write you the best letters.

pipab likes this.
  11. misswild0o

misswild0o

Pre-Veterinary
    Hello c/o 2019 Hopefuls! I started working on my TMDSAS application, and I'm editing it over and over.. I think I'm mostly procrastinating on starting the essay :whistle:. I do have some questions about the future experience section. Should I include hours at my current place of work that I will be doing after my application is submitted in that section? Or should I estimate all of these hours and put it all under the section of veterinary experience completed? Basically, if I'm planning on maintaining a presence somewhere that is already mentioned in the app even after the app is completed, where do those hours go on the application?

Second point to discuss, how do I contain my EXCITEMENT?! :soexcited:And Anxiety. :barf:

pipab likes this.
  12. pipab

Pre-Veterinary
    May I ask how many hours you have for vet experience and how many hours for animal experience?

13. Frozenshades

Veterinary Student
    Searched to find my old successful applicant stats post. I had ~650 vet hours (only 450 in clinical practice, 200 in a lab) and just over 300 of animal experience.

misswild0o and pipab like this.
  14. pipab

Pre-Veterinary
    Same here. I'm working on my application. Good luck to you. Hope to be classmate.

misswild0o likes this.
  15. FeMaiden666

FeMaiden666

Pre-Veterinary
    Hey there,

Anyone get going on the essays yet. I feel like I'm getting ready to climb a mountain.My one question (so far) is about the goals relevant to the profession part of the question. I've spent a lot of time working with small animals and some time with large ones. Not really sure what I want to do. I think I would be happy in either field. Do you guys think putting that you aren't decided on exactly what you want to do would be seen as negative? Do they want people who know for sure? I probably want to work with small animals, but I can't say for sure large is not for me... I really enjoyed working with pigs. Tl;dr I'm wondering if I can put that I'm not sure if I want to work with large or small animals or if I should just say I'd rather work with small.

--

Also, just a heads up. I was working on one of the sections and wanted to check something else. I clicked another section on the sidebar without saving and all my info was wiped when I went back. Seems obvious to hit the save button, but you would think in 2014, thing would autosave... So don't click the sidebar or all your unsaved stuff gets wiped.

Last edited: 05.22.14
    misswild0o and pipab like this.
  16. misswild0o

misswild0o

Pre-Veterinary

Oh yeah, I definitely deleted a lot of info accidentally because I didn't think I had to manually save every time I entered information in this day and age..

I feel the same way about the PS! I'm editing everything else to perfection before I even start. Plus I feel like between now and when I submit this application, I will have had more experiences that may be more influential or informative to me than they ones I have now. Speaking as a person who hasn't applied or been accepted..YET, I can't say my advice is worth much, but I would be as honest as possible. I would say why I haven't decided and what I would do if I went either direction. I would also mention what factors might lead me to a decision.

I wish you the best of luck!

17. FeMaiden666

FeMaiden666

Pre-Veterinary
    Thanks for that, and good luck to you as well!

18. FeMaiden666

FeMaiden666

Pre-Veterinary
    Whats the deal with the photo?

19. pipab

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi, how is it going? I have a quick question. I'm going to call admission office tomorrow, but just in case anyone here know. Will the interview be around the first/second week of January every year? I'm planning to go out of the country in January, but also hope to get accepted to the interview round.
    I checked the school calendar but it's not updated that far yet.

20. epivetlove

Veterinary Student
    It's been that way since the Class of 2015 cycle (so 4 years). Not sure they have any plans of changing it anytime soon. Interview invites have gone out around 12/20 for the last 3 years.

21. pipab

Pre-Veterinary
    Thank you. Is it just one day interview?

22. epivetlove

Veterinary Student
    It's at least 2, maybe 3. A Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

23. tangowhiskey

tangowhiskey 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    The interviews take place over one weekend, but you would be assigned to one time slot during that weekend for your interview. The whole process takes 2 hours, maybe? You would not have to spend the whole weekend in College Station, participating in interview activities.

pipab likes this.
  24. pipab

Pre-Veterinary
    Thanks.
    Just FYI - I called admission office and they said that they won't know the interview date until sometime in Fall. But most likely it gonna be the first part of January. I realized that A&M is very good about answering the phone with a live person.
    Has anyone completed the TMDSAS application yet?

misswild0o likes this.
  25. tangowhiskey

Veterinary Student
    Don't know if this still applies, but when I went thru the process two years ago, a friend knew someone in admissions. They said that everything gets held and submitted all together, so there's no advantage in rushing and finishing the application quickly. (If the you're applying to a school that does rolling admissions, probably a different story.) Take your time and make sure you're completely happy with how you filled things out, and with your PS. Also, don't forget to submit the supplemental application!

Last edited: 06.12.14
    pipab likes this.
  26. tangowhiskey

Veterinary Student
    don't know what happened here...

27. pipab

Pre-Veterinary
    Thank you.
    I filled out the application up to the Essay part. Now, I'm taking a break from it. I'm very worried. Now, I'm studying for GRE and writing the PS. Also trying to get all docs ready. It is so pressured. I still don't decide what to do if I don't get accept to TAMU :(

28. pipab

Pre-Veterinary
    Is there something wrong?

29. tangowhiskey

Veterinary Student
    No, it just posted twice. I can't delete posts.

30. Maddiegirl

Maddiegirl 5+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    First time applicant here! Super excited but already want to pull my hair out. GRE and PS on top of the TMDSAS is enough to turn a sane person into a nut!

I'm worried because my overall GPA is a 3.5, but they want your primary school GPA. I had a rough transition to UT so my GPA is a 2.92 there. Technically, I haven't graduated so I could put my 3.7 from community college where I have more credits. Not sure what to do.

Any advice?

31. epivetlove

Veterinary Student
    You got this!

As for your question, I think the primary is wherever you were awarded a degree. Or it could be the school where you have the most credits. I think it must also be an undergrad school. The TMDSAS reps are really good at getting back to you quickly, so to be certain, I would message them.

32. epivetlove

Veterinary Student
    Straight from the TMDSAS site:

"Primary College is the college or university from which you received or will receive your bachelor's degree. If no degree is planned, select the school at which you earned the majority of your credit." :)

I think the only reason they ask about primary school is to determine your rigor score.

33. epivetlove

Veterinary Student
    Accidentally quoted myself.

34. Maddiegirl

Pre-Veterinary
    Yea, I read that about the primary school too. My dilemma is that the better GPA comes from a community college, which we all know they pretty much regard has not having any rigor.

Thanks for your help! :)

I guess I'll just flip a coin and let it ride. :) At the moment I'm trying to finish my personal statement. I had one I was proud of and sent it to my literature professor who not only completely eviscerated my statement, but rewrote it and took every ounce of my personality out of it. While she made some good points on some things, I feel like there should be some me in the statement. UGHHH just not a good day for her comments to come back.

GRE coming up on Friday already has my stress level at Defcon 1.

misswild0o likes this.
  35. epivetlove

Veterinary Student
    I would recommend sending your PS to fellow-minded people. I had a few vets and vet students read mine...then I let my friend with the English degree edit it for grammar and such. Sometimes non-vet people don't understand... I'd be happy to read it over if you're interested!

Good luck on the GRE! Just relax and get a good night's sleep beforehand. It's not too bad!

36. misswild0o

misswild0o

Pre-Veterinary

If you've studied at all, then you will do great! I completely blanked on my first essay, rocked the second, and did okay on the rest. I definitely did slightly better on my practice tests, but I didn't bomb the real thing either. Just breathe, and use your test taking strategies Good luck!

37. Maddiegirl

Pre-Veterinary
    I'd love to get some feed back from a fellow vet school applicant. Thanks! I'll PM you as soon as I can remember how to do that.

I just finished a practice GRE and I think I did ok. Trying not to stress too much. I've worked so hard to get here over the past 4 years that I just worry (like everyone else) that I won't make the cut. I figure I've got a couple more days to pound through a few more practice tests and get my brain around the strategy. I also went ahead and scheduled another test date for August 1 just in case I bomb it. :)

misswild0o likes this.
  38. Maddiegirl

Pre-Veterinary
    Thanks!! I've been reading through the books and doing some practice problems. Just finished the practice test and didn't do too bad. I'll just keep plugging away and do my best. That's all any of us can hope for! :)

pipab likes this.
  39. pipab

Pre-Veterinary
    Good luck for your GRE test. I scheduled to take the test on Aug 16. I'm not ready for it at all. I'm trying to squeez in time to study but not going well. I have internship at the animal hospital unitl afternoon, and work in the evening. By the time I get home (~10pm). I already exhausted. :(

Maddiegirl likes this.
  40. pipab

Pre-Veterinary
    Does A&M look where you go to school? Majority of my classes I took at community college too. If so, I guess I will lose some point in 'academic rigor' criteria.

Last edited: 06.18.14
  41. Maddiegirl

Pre-Veterinary
    I've been to their open house twice and both times they stressed academic rigor. I took most of my prerequisite classes at a community college too, so I transferred to UT-Austin where I've done 3 semesters now. Although my grades there are stellar, they're far from terrible. My first semester was rough. I worked 30 hours a week as a paralegal, moved, changed jobs, filed for divorce, two dogs died and I still managed to finish the semester with a 2.5 (taking biochemistry, genetics, government and some ancient greece course). I figure if I can survive that semester then I can survive anything vet school can throw my way!!!

I figured if I could at least show the adcom that I can hang at the university level I should be ok. I'm only worried because I've just taken 12 credits a semester because I work as well. I just hope they don't knock off too many points because my semester course load is low.

42. pipab

Pre-Veterinary
    Ah I hear you. I only took 6-12 credit hours/semester. I'm working but only 20 hours/weeks. Then pregnant and now take care of my baby girl. My husband and in-law help to take care of her when I go to school/work/volunteer for animal experience. I moved to the US 7 years ago and decided to persue vet school in 2010. So, I started everything very late compare to other applicants. But everyone suggests to explain all these in your PS. I'm very scared not to get in this cycle. I'm old so kinda want to get it done asap.

Good luck to you. Hope we both get it.

Maddiegirl likes this.
  43. Frozenshades

Veterinary Student
    @Maddiegirl , @pipab

To offer some hopefully comforting words to you both, I wouldn't hugely worry about the rigor aspect. Granted I did have a pretty strong GPA, but of my 110 undergraduate credit hours 29 were from AP credit and 17 were from a community college; I had less than 70 hours of undergraduate coursework at Texas A&M. I had one semester with sixteen hours, the rest were all under fifteen, and my last two semesters I ended up dropping a bunch of classes so they ended up being 11 hours and 10 hours of course credit completed respectively lol. I only worked during one of those semesters and a student job so only like 10 hours a week. And I got in first application.

You'll all be fine :)

pipab likes this.
  44. Maddiegirl

Pre-Veterinary
    Thanks for the encouragement!! :)

45. epivetlove

Veterinary Student
    I'll chime in about the whole rigor thing too. Barring graduate school, I rarely had a semester where I took over 15 hours (usually less than that, really). And I had smatterings of CC courses, as well. Got in on my first try! With crappy cumulative and science GPAs to boot!

It can be done. :)

Maddiegirl likes this.
  46. Maddiegirl

Pre-Veterinary
    Awesome!! I am hopeful. I survived the GRE today even after being in the ER til 11pm last night.
    I will probably need to retake. V156 and Q145. Which is pretty much exactly what I did on my practice exam. Wish my Q score had been a bit higher. But just so damn happy it's over.

pipab likes this.
  47. epivetlove

Veterinary Student
    You'll really want to strive to get your Quant score up. It's weighed more heavily (25 points, I think?). If you can get it into the 150s, I think you'll have much greater chances. The average last year was 155.

48. pipab

Pre-Veterinary
    Congrats. you are done with GRE. I'm taking the test on Aug 16. Very worried.

Maddiegirl likes this.
  49. Maddiegirl

Pre-Veterinary
    Yes I definitely want to try to raise that Q score.

50. pipab

Pre-Veterinary
    Do you waive your right to access the letter of recommendation? Will the answer Yes or No affect the selection score?

51. Maddiegirl

Pre-Veterinary
    I don't think so but I heard it can affect the way they look at the evaluations. Like if you see it the evaluators may not have been frank. I chose not to review mine.

About the ads