Texas A&M c/o 2019 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question for past applicants: can the recommendation letter be hand written by any chance? (but still on the form provided.) Thank you in advance! Also huge congrats to everyone who got in, I really lived vicariously through y'all this past cycle =) some posts made me pretty emotional

Members don't see this ad.

Question for past applicants: can the recommendation letter be hand written by any chance? (but still on the form provided.) Thank you in advance! Also huge congrats to everyone who got in, I really lived vicariously through y'all this past cycle =) some posts made me pretty emotional

I think as long as you use that form it's fine, but check to make sure that hasn't changed this year. I think for the references part there was a box to check saying you'd be sending it in by mail. I would just be sure that you know those references will turn it in early enough to get in on time.

Hello all,

Other than for in-state tuition purposes, why did you choose A&M?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not c/o 2019, but I feel I can still answer. I'm in the midst of finals, so my answer may not be super great. Here's a few reasons I only applied to A&M other than for in-state tuition:

1) World-renowned faculty and clinicians
2) Ability to track (may be a negative for some people)
4) Tons of research opportunities in just about every field + Veterinary Medical Scientist Research Training Program (I'm participating this summer and hope to provide information about my experience to anyone who's interested)
3) Extensive list of electives (can begin some in 2nd year)
4) Close proximity to major cities that provide abundant externship opportunities beginning summer after 1st year
5) Begin mini-rotations through the clinics in 3rd year
6) New school opening in 2016 (I'll only get to enjoy it for 1 year, though)
7) Active small and large Zoo Med service
8) Diversity of clubs and wetlab opportunities
9) Close to my family
10) Very cheap cost-of-living
11) TIPS building just down the road
12) Schubot Avian Center just down the road
13) TVMDL just across the street (currently building new laboratory down the road)
14) The TVMA is amazing to its student members
15) Great networking opportunites
16) And this wasn't a reason, but I'm still flippin' excited--SAVMA Symposium 2017!

Reactions: 2 users
Don't let them hand write it. If they mail it in ask them to have their secretary type it.

All three of my letters were hand written, because I was having trouble with the online system and emails going to junk mail. As long as it's legible and on time, my understanding is that admissions does not care if it's typed or hard copy :)

All three of my letters were hand written, because I was having trouble with the online system and emails going to junk mail. As long as it's legible and on time, my understanding is that admissions does not care if it's typed or hard copy :)
Thanks!

Hey all!

I'm applying this cycle and had a few questions for past applicants:
1) On the TMDSAS instructions, it says to list only things from "beginning of college to present" for research/academic awards--does this mean we can't list research done in high school? I did some pretty neat research in high school and presented a poster at a conference so I'd love to be able to include that.
2) Do you know if it matters when you submit the application? All of my pre-med friends are submitting their AMCAS the second it opens and I haven't even started working on my PS...

Thanks!

1) Nope, no high school stuff is counted--except for animal/vet experience. That can be from whenever (unless they've changed things).
2) There is no extra benefit to submit early as there is no rolling admissions. Everyone will be reviewed at the same time. Just be sure to submit on time. I advise trying to get everything in at least a few weeks early just in case something happens.

I want to add to epivetlove's #2 and say that I did follow the VMCAS guidelines by submitting a month early but I stalled until the last minute so I could get as many vet experience hours on there as possible. (I also had very few hours so...that was kind of important!)

If you send in your rec letters and transcripts early, it'll take no time to verify. My VMCAS verified 40 minutes after submitting it because I sent in everything else way earlier. TMDSAS still took 3+weeks regardless. I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! Hopefully one day A&M will make its way over to VMCAS...

Ok so if we did our undergrad at TAMU do we still send transcripts? I'm on the online ordering form and it says to not issue transcripts to Texas A&M because they won't be mailed, so before I pay I want to make sure that we are still supposed to send them.

I had to send transcripts. But I was also in the PhD program at the time (meaning I had fall/spring grades), so not sure if that makes a difference.

Edit: I remember how dumb it was that I had to mail them to the vet school when I felt like they should just be able to access our records as A&M students...Derp.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok so if we did our undergrad at TAMU do we still send transcripts? I'm on the online ordering form and it says to not issue transcripts to Texas A&M because they won't be mailed, so before I pay I want to make sure that we are still supposed to send them.

You have to send all of your transcripts again, and be sure to send them to A&M and not TMDSAS.

Got a B in orgo 2! Now I'm officially an Aggie 1VM!!!!! Little scared there for a few hors after that final but I thought I'd share :) :) :)

Reactions: 5 users
Got a B in orgo 2! Now I'm officially an Aggie 1VM!!!!! Little scared there for a few hors after that final but I thought I'd share :) :) :)

CONGRATS!!!!!! I'm sure it may have felt like you were diene during studying for it, but you made it!!!! The one thing I miss about organic chemistry was being able to draw a perfect hexagon.

Reactions: 1 users
CONGRATS!!!!!! I'm sure it may have felt like you were diene during studying for it, but you made it!!!! The one thing I miss about organic chemistry was being able to draw a perfect hexagon.
Bahaha ha "diene." I love it!! And my hexagons we always lacking a certain symmetry...maybe that's why I am so terrible at stereochemistry! Haha. Seriously I am just so glad to be done...Til August at least!

can a current student weigh in on working while in vet school? I am thinking of getting a weekend job.

can a current student weigh in on working while in vet school? I am thinking of getting a weekend job.

I worked about 10-12 hours a week first semester as a tutor in the evenings and didn't have any issues keeping up with classes or my grades. Spring semester on the other hand...I couldn't imagine having worked more than a few hours here and there on the weekends since our schedule was so crazy. It's definitely possible, but I think you'll have more luck working first semester First Year compared to second semester First Year.

Has anyone that wasn't accepted done a file review? I called to schedule, but apparently they're all booked up and said they would send me an email in a few weeks... :sour: I was trying to finish out my semester strong and didn't realize this would be an issue.

Also, for any who reapplied, did you rewrite your personal statement? Just trying to figure out if I need to go through that hell again. :eek:

Congrats to all that made it off the waitlist!! :clap:

@Maddiegirl When you do a file review they will let you know about your essay! I didn't re-write mine because I received a good review of it when I talked to Yolanda. So I wouldn't stress until after then :) Good luck for c/o 2020!

@Maddiegirl When you do a file review they will let you know about your essay! I didn't re-write mine because I received a good review of it when I talked to Yolanda. So I wouldn't stress until after then :) Good luck for c/o 2020!

Thanks. Just have to wait for the debriefing email since they wouldn't schedule me for a sit down file review.

Random question, but what does the academic calendar for the fall typically look like as far as vacations go? Trying to plan things for winter break and Im curious when finals wrap up and spring classes begin. Thanks!

Random question, but what does the academic calendar for the fall typically look like as far as vacations go? Trying to plan things for winter break and Im curious when finals wrap up and spring classes begin. Thanks!

Generally A&M doesn't have Labor Day off. There's no fall break, and we get Thursday and Friday off for Thanksgiving (I don't know about the vet school, but generally quite a few undergrad classes were cancelled Wednesday afternoon too). Undergrad finals were recently pushed back to the week before Christmas, so the vet school should finish the week before that. I remember that the vet students went back to school the week after our interviews so around the 12th of January. I haven't looked at the exact dates, but there is a calendar somewhere on the vet school website. I hope this helps!

Let's see... usually start back late August (24th this year) and I don't think we had any breaks until Thanksgiving which was a Thursday, Friday. I think we technically had classes Wednesday, but it was optional to attend. We had finals on 12/12 and started back in the spring on 1/12 (Oo, nice symmetry). I think in the past, finals week for the Fall semester was the first week in December. Not sure why we were pushed back a week. I expect them to be around the same time this year.

Have y'all not received the packet with all the stuff, including the fall semester calendar? I don't think it's online yet. Maybe that packet comes closer to the end of May...

No packet yet. I've been checking for the calendar online because I'm interested in the Thanksgiving holiday. It seems like the university is actually also closed on Wednesday, but I know its probably not the same for the vet school.

Yeah. Wednesday is never declared a university holiday until that day or like, the day before. When I was an undergrad at A&M, classes before 12PM were supposed to meet (and some did), but the majority of my professors gave that day off or held optional reviews or whatever. I'm assuming it's still the same.

That's usually what I've experienced as well. Its odd but the Wednesday before Thanksgiving is listed as a reading day (no classes) on the TAMU Fall 2015 calendar. I'm not 100% sure what a reading day is but I definitely think the vet school should participate. ;)

Does anyone know when they will issue UIN/student ID numbers? Was anyone able to get a rabies titer or any of the vaccinations at Beutal without the UIN?

Also, has anyone received any type of correspondence from A&M since submitting your acceptance forms? It worries me that I have not received any type of confirmation or heard anything from them since the April 15th deadline.

Also, has anyone received any type of correspondence from A&M since submitting your acceptance forms? It worries me that I have not received any type of confirmation or heard anything from them since the April 15th deadline.

They told me that if you haven't heard anything after submitting your paperwork that's a good sign. They are super friendly though, so I called twice to make sure that everything was submitted (once for each deadline), so don't be afraid to call! I think there are some posts a couple pages back about the UINs. I hope this helps!

If you were not at A&M for undergrad, you have to wait til you get your packet before you're officially registered and have a UIN. Then you can schedule rabies at beutel, get in contact with FinAid, etc. I called the registrar and was told we non-Aggies aren't even in the system yet. However, I was also told that if you are waiting on the CVM to give you a UIN to get immunizations you won't get penalized for not being done by May 29 :) if you call or email them they will confirm your paperwork and soothe your fears (as they do mine). Hope that helps!

For those of you that went to A&M, when you ordered your transcripts did you order via the "issue to" option even though it says it won't be mailed if sent to A&M? I was going to put issue to "Office of the Dean-Admissions College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences". I feel like they just changed the order options so I'm not sure which one to pick. Any suggestions?

For those of you that went to A&M, when you ordered your transcripts did you order via the "issue to" option even though it says it won't be mailed if sent to A&M? I was going to put issue to "Office of the Dean-Admissions College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences". I feel like they just changed the order options so I'm not sure which one to pick. Any suggestions?

I put the exact address they gave me and didn't have any issues, but I sent mine back in February or March since I finished classes last semester so it may have changed since then. I think the website means choose a specific part of A&M to send it to.

Hi, Did you all get the rabies shots already? Where did you go to get it? I just called Walgreens and it costs $329.99/shot. I don't have health insurance. Does anyone know anywhere else provide it cheaper than this (if not at Health Center at TAMU)?

My insurance covered all $1800 of it from my primary care physician, because it wouldn't cover any of the health center. So going to my regular doctor ended up being the cheaper option. But, the health center is $215/shot.

EDIT: $1800 for the entire series not per shot

Last edited:
Turned out that I only need rabies and hepatitis b shots. So not too bad. Just mailed the immunizations record today.

So I have all my shots up to date but have been having a heck of a time sending in the paper work- does anyone know if they're at all leniant on sending that in? My physician hasn't been able to get the paperwork to me...and of course everything is closed now (including the a&m office) :\

So I have all my shots up to date but have been having a heck of a time sending in the paper work- does anyone know if they're at all leniant on sending that in? My physician hasn't been able to get the paperwork to me...and of course everything is closed now (including the a&m office) :\
I think if you call and explain the situation to the office, they will be able to help you out. I don't think they are extremely strict about the deadlines and would probably understand if it's your physician not getting the paperwork to you in time, but it would be best to talk to them about it.

Also, I called the office today, and they said that the next bit of paperwork and information is currently in the mail! We should have it soon!

Reactions: 2 users
I got the email today from vet school. They let me know that they haven't received my transcript yet. Also they need me to complete 3rd shots of rabies and hepatitis b. I would think you would receive the similar email if you haven't sent your vaccination record.

Oh I called them and let them know that my transcript and update vaccination record are on its way. So they said it ok. They just want you to send it in asap.

If anyone is having issues with their Blinn Transcript, for whatever reason they're diverting our transcripts to Main Campus office of Admissions. I just went to Blinn and got mine and took it to the vet school myself! Yolanda says this has been an issue with most of the people sending transcripts from Blinn, the correct address is on the transcripts but the Post office just isn't getting it to the right place.

I know it's a long shot, but I'm trying to get my hands on a used Dissection Guide (Millers). Anyone have one for sale or know where to look? I tried the FB page but got no response :( is there an SDN used book store??

I ended up ordering one on amazon.. it cost $50 but I wanted a clean slate to write on and highlight, etc. The good news is that I don't think we will need many books besides that one and a phys book