This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fly Physician'

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have seen these two schools compared to others but not compared directly. On paper McGovern seems to have the edge while I have a stronger personal tie to TAMU. All thoughts welcomed.

TAMU
Pros:
  • have the chance to spend 3 years in Dallas (my family and my wife's family are in Dallas and we currently live there)
  • updated 1.5 preclinical curriculum
  • step scores on the rise
  • positive and collaborative students and faculty
Cons:
  • research is a newer initiative and offers fewer opportunities than the TMC
  • divided campus (concerned about continuity with mentors/classmates)
  • less information about residency match (on the fence about attempting to specialize. background in ortho but still open to other options)

McGovern
Pros
  • Texas Medical Center (more research opportunities and good clinical rotations)
  • Greater prestige (Higher USNWR and PDR)
  • Strong match list
Cons
  • Larger class size
  • I've heard the environment is more competitive
  • Further from family (I would like to experience another city but Houston can't be too much different with respect to cities across the US)

Members don't see this ad.

McGovern has better research opportunities and clinical rotations. Do you and your wife want to be ~ 30 mins from your families or 4 hours from your families?

You're not going to make a 'wrong' decision, just balancing which aspects are the most important for you. Good luck!
Thank you! I am guessing the poll results are due mostly to TMC opportunities as you pointed out.

I was dead set on ranking Mcgovern higher until I had my TAMU interview and they brought up a lot of really good points.

- the split campus gives you the networking of a big school but the focused attention of a small class
- 1.5 years means extra study for STEP and more importantly 6 months more of clerkships to help you connect with residencies
-multiple professors have been there since the first class. If that doesn't show loyalty I don't know what will

This leads me to the same shoes as you. Both seemed like really chill, collaborative classes. Both seemed to have a bunch of free time.

I personally don't care for research so I'm honestly leaning ever so slightly towards A&M, even if it will make me an aggie. I don't know if those assumptions are right though, so input is appreciated

Members don't see this ad :)
- 1.5 years means extra study for STEP and more importantly 6 months more of clerkships to help you connect with residencies
Could you elaborate more on what you mean by this? Trying to choose between these two schools as well and I can't decide if 1.5 years of pre-clinical is a good thing or not

Could you elaborate more on what you mean by this? Trying to choose between these two schools as well and I can't decide if 1.5 years of pre-clinical is a good thing or not
1.5 year preclinicals is an excellent thing! It means you get to get out until the field and actually DO medicine faster, making more residency connections and trying more fields of interest.

Reactions: 1 user
1.5 year preclinicals is an excellent thing! It means you get to get out until the field and actually DO medicine faster, making more residency connections and trying more fields of interest.
Idk...I don't really want an accelerated curriculum. I'd rather take my time honestly lol

Reactions: 1 user
What did you choose and why? Knowing what you know now, would you make the same choice?

Reactions: 1 users