Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xNeenax

Delano's Minion
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A thread for those applying.

I'm thinking about applying, but I'm not real sure though.
To lazy to get 2 LORs from a professor :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's Texas A&M Health Science Center, Irma Lirma Rangel College of Pharmacy.

We're located on the TAMUK campus, but we are not a TAMUK school.

It's confusing. ;)

:eek: That is one long name.
One of the reasons preventing me from apply to Texas A&M is you lol jk :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Screw this noise apply to ut!!!!

Does anyone know if TAMU Kingsville does rolling admissions?! If not, what is the final application date? Thanks!

:eek: That is one long name.
One of the reasons preventing me from apply to Texas A&M is you lol jk :laugh:
Aw c'mon now. :oops:

Does anyone know if TAMU Kingsville does rolling admissions?! If not, what is the final application date? Thanks!
I would tell you, but you called it TAMUK again, which it's not. :laugh:

No rolling admissions. All materials are due by January 17th at 5 pm.

http://pharmacy.tamhsc.edu/prospective/

Screw this noise apply to ut!!!!
Stay classy. :cool:

Who has started the application yet? Is it too late to start the application in December? I'm too busy with school/work/other applications right now that's why. I'm sure I can get everything in by the deadline since everything has to be mailed in and they don't use PharmCAS which apparently takes 5 weeks to process.

Aw c'mon now. :oops:

Ok, I have decided to apply to this school as a back up :D

Who has started the application yet? Is it too late to start the application in December? I'm too busy with school/work/other applications right now that's why. I'm sure I can get everything in by the deadline since everything has to be mailed in and they don't use PharmCAS which apparently takes 5 weeks to process.

I haven't started the application yet, but their due date is in January so there's plenty of time. I don't know whether doing the application in December is too late though.

I am going to apply here but my only reservation about this school is being in a small town, I'm not sure if graduates could get a job in bigger cities like Houston, Dallas, Austin, etc. It seems to me they train pharmacists to work mainly in rural areas but I do not know. Can anyone shed some light on how legitimate this pharmacy school is in churning out quality grads with goals to work in big cities? Thanks.

So I don't get this whole rolling admissions, so do I just wait till right before the deadline to turn it in? No advantage of turning it in early? boo.

I am going to apply here but my only reservation about this school is being in a small town, I'm not sure if graduates could get a job in bigger cities like Houston, Dallas, Austin, etc. It seems to me they train pharmacists to work mainly in rural areas but I do not know. Can anyone shed some light on how legitimate this pharmacy school is in churning out quality grads with goals to work in big cities? Thanks.

They don't train you to work in just a rural area. They educate and train you to work as a pharmacist in every type of setting. Where you work is entirely up to you.

Reactions: 1 user
So the application is now online whereas before it had to be mailed in. I was wondering if there was any way to send an essay/personal statement since there is no place on the application to put this information. I really want to send in my personal statement because I think it will help but I'm not sure if there is a way since the application doesn't have a place for it. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
So the application is now online whereas before it had to be mailed in. I was wondering if there was any way to send an essay/personal statement since there is no place on the application to put this information. I really want to send in my personal statement because I think it will help but I'm not sure if there is a way since the application doesn't have a place for it. Any ideas?

The application was online last year. I wrote a personal statement under question #22 but not sure if the application is the same as last years. Also, I believe some people actually emailed the PS to one of the advisors. But it would be best to email them first to ask if that's ok to do.

So I don't get this whole rolling admissions, so do I just wait till right before the deadline to turn it in? No advantage of turning it in early? boo.

No, I don't think there is any advantage to turning in the app early. I submitted my application in January last year, pretty close to the deadline and was still accepted.

The current intern that works at our company is from A&M, and we're here in Houston.

TAMHSC does not have rolling admissions. You are correct, there is no benefit to submitting early.

Someone asked about getting a job in a major city:

You can potentially do your P4 rotations in a bigger city (because hardly anyone does them in the Kingsville area). You are not going to be in Kingsville the whole time. A lot of people fight over Round Rock, Temple, Austin, Houston, etc. I personally don't care, but can see why they would want a bigger area.

Part of getting a job is networking, and the Midyear ASHP meeting (and meetings of other pharmacy groups) provide opportunities for that.

It's Texas A&M Health Science Center, Irma Lirma Rangel College of Pharmacy.

We're located on the TAMUK campus, but we are not a TAMUK school.

It's confusing. ;)

Don't get on their case when you can't spell your own school name correctly, sir. :p

It's Texas A&M Health Science Center, Irma LERMA Rangel College of Pharmacy. ;)

@xNeenax: Don't worry too much. PharmB is just a big ol' teddy bear.

From hell.:smuggrin: Just kidding. That's me. :p

It will also be confusing to them as the logo in the lobby still claims that it's part of TAMUK. It just costs too much to get that replaced... The case still stands that our school was originally built and owned by TAMUK. However, from what I recall, they ran out of funding to continue with the project and the school was taken over by the Health Science Center. Due to the way the state approved the formation of our school, it HAS to be located in Kingsville.

Like the rest have said, you are exposed to a variety of locations through your time here; you aren't limited to this small town/city of Kingsville. Your P4 year could send you anywhere from College Station to Houston, or the Valley. There are more sites of course. Given the relative age of our school, we are continuously trying to add more places to our menu, so it is very much possible that by the time you get to P4 year, you might have other options as well.

Not to mention, HR91... Corpus Christi isn't that small a place, and it's less than an hour away. Sure, they put the school down here to address the lack of pharmacists, but in the end, we're semi-addressing that with our service to the community during our time here. Should you decide to stay around the area, I hear companies pay more. You're still able to find jobs elsewhere, of course. Connections will do that for you.

Our teaching faculty are from all over the state; we get them via webconferencing and at times they will come down to Kingsville in order to teach IPT Rounds or something. These professors will be at least one of y'all's preceptor by the time you get to P4 year.

Apparently not

(raises hand!) pick me, pick me!!! I'm totally applying. I'm super excited too. I've already sent everything in, except one reference, and she said she'll take a look at my final grades before doing it. So the waiting game begins!

So tell me, all the pharm students who go here... please tell me what makes your school unique from Tech or Houston? How do you guys like it?

So tell me, all the pharm students who go here... please tell me what makes your school unique from Tech or Houston? How do you guys like it?

I am not too familiar with Tech or Houston to comment one way or the other. That being said I will say I have enjoyed A&M's program (honestly, not because I have < 6 months till graduation). One of the benefits of the program is the integrated pharmacotherapy courses (IPT). Here you get the pathophysiology, pharmacology, med chem, and therapeutics of disease states. They are taught based on organ system/topic so exams usually cover an entire topic i.e. hypertension, hyperlipidemia, pneumonia, diabetes, hyper/hypothyroidism, etc. This way you focus in on the particular disease/class of drugs in a systematic way. You know the sequence and it becomes predictable. Also this is helpful in rotations when giving presentations.

I remember a few months ago talking with some pre-pharm students from Houston. One question that came up was if A&M prepared you strictly for community practice. My answer then, and now, is the same. A&M prepares you to think clinically and critically regardless of practice setting. Sure community pharmacists may not always deal with vancomycin dosing, etc., but being able to think clinically with drug interactions, dose manipulations, and MTM sessions is important. One recent graduate said the program over-prepared him for the NAPLEX so we are doing something right.

A&M has also received high remarks from the ACPE on many accreditation standards, which I am particularly pleased with. The rotation sites are throughout Texas so you are not confined to one specific area. It may mean you have to drive for IPPEs or move for APPEs but that is just apart of being this far south.

Kingsville is not the most exciting place, but it does allow you to focus and study while you are here. I looked at pharmacy school as my job and I was determined to to the best I could with what I had. It has all worked out for the best thus far. I enjoy the environment and the faculty. I have gotten to know a few of the faculty on a personal level and they are fantastic. They want the students to succeed.

Basically look at the curriculum of all the schools you are applying to. What stands out to YOU about them? Pharmacy is pharmacy. Drugs are drugs. Anywhere you go you will learn the exact same material (at least I hope so).

I hope that helped.

Last edited:
Do both recommendation letters have to be from the professors or can one be from a pharmacist and other from the professor ?

Do both recommendation letters have to be from the professors or can one be from a pharmacist and other from the professor ?

You only need two letters of recommendation this year? Hmmm.

If you can get a solid reference from a pharmacist do it. I am assuming you work with him/her or at least the pharmacist knows you well enough. Work experience is a definite plus to the application for A&M. Having interviewed candidates in the past there is a difference between those with experience and those without in my opinion. Although I did not read any of the recommendation letters, a letter from a pharmacist would go a little farther than one from a professor in my opinion. Again this is MY opinion only. Generally when asking for recommendations the person should be able to provide an account of your abilities, work habits, and qualities that would make you stand out. If the pharmacist, professor or any person is not able to do that, then ask someone else.

I checked the website application checklist and you need THREE letters of recommendation. Here is the information:
Three confidential recommendation forms are required from an applicant. Currently or recently enrolled applicants should submit two recommendations from college professors, and one from an employer, advisor, or college or university administrator (mentor or laboratory instructor recommendations are not accepted). Applicants who have been out of college or university for a number of years may submit three recommendations from a combination of the following categories: professors, pharmacists, other health care professionals (e.g., medicine, nursing, dentistry), or current and previous employers. Recommendations should be sent by overnight courier service or mail to the College directly by the reference; however, recommendations given to an applicant by a reference in a sealed envelope addressed to the College may be submitted by the applicant. All students must use the following recommendation form designed exclusively for a professional college.

So there you have it. A little clarification.

Last edited:
You only need two letters of recommendation this year? Hmmm.

I checked the website application checklist and you need THREE letters of recommendation.

Sorry for not being clear previously. I was wondering if we can replace one of the professors with a pharmacist for recommendation. So in total three - each from professor, pharmacist and employer. The pharmacist and employer know me well and only one professor knows me well enough to write a good letter.

Looks like the interview dates have been set for February 9, 10, 16, 17 and the 23.

To apply or to not to apply? That is the question.

Looks like the interview dates have been set for February 9, 10, 16, 17 and the 23.

Hi I'm new to this thread so hello to everyone for your remarkable info. I applied for the school early in September or October. It seems like it has been forever. I recently received an email that they received everything that is required. I am wondering when if not already they will be sending out invitations for interviews? Thanks and good luck to all!

Hi I'm new to this thread so hello to everyone for your remarkable info. I applied for the school early in September or October. It seems like it has been forever. I recently received an email that they received everything that is required. I am wondering when if not already they will be sending out invitations for interviews? Thanks and good luck to all!

The website lists interview dates as February 9, 10, 16, 17, and 23. I would expect interview invites around mid to late January probably 2 weeks before the interview. At least that is what I remember from past years. They interview ~250 total (50 per day). Good luck.

I was wondering, do they update you on what items are still missing from your application? I sent my pcat score and transcripts but I dont know if they've received them yet. I just want to make sure so I can resend if necessary.

Another thread on SDN relating to pharmacy raises questions about job market for pharmacist and considering all the new and future pharmacy schools that are opening, should we concern at all 4 or 5 years later? How is Texas compare to other states considering the number of schools that we have fostering 600-700 graduating pharmacist each year? Thanks for any comment.

Hey Dtviet27,
This is off the subject, but are you a Med Tech?

Another thread on SDN relating to pharmacy raises questions about job market for pharmacist and considering all the new and future pharmacy schools that are opening, should we concern at all 4 or 5 years later? How is Texas compare to other states considering the number of schools that we have fostering 600-700 graduating pharmacist each year? Thanks for any comment.

According to TPA, we're still seeing a large number of pharmacists coming INTO the state for jobs. This is supposedly part of the reason UNT says it can justify opening yet ANOTHER school :rolleyes:

Affiliated in any way? Thinking of applying here.

If anyone has been accepted to this school, please let me know so you can be added to the Official Roll Call for Class of 2015/2016. Please post in the sticky thread your acceptances and the program you will be attending (if accepted to multiple schools).

Here is the link to the sticky thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=847419

:):thumbup:

Affiliated in any way? Thinking of applying here.

The Rangel College of Pharmacy is part of the Texas A&M Health Science Center based out of College Station. Unfortunately, this means we are not part of "Texas A&M." Students at this school are not aggies (tamu) or javelinas (tamuk).

I'm applying soon but I want to use 2 pharmacists and 1 professor for my recs. I'm going to say it is 1 employer, 1 pharmacist and 1 professor. I don't understand why we can't just use 3 pharmacists but whatever.

I have applied already. Just need to submit my documents via mail (references, transcripts).

Our University of Houston Pre-Pharmacy Association had the honor of touring this campus late last year. We were welcomed by a wide array of staff and faculty members. There are pros and cons for every pharmacy school, but what I can vouch for this school is their service and care. I have yet to find another school who is as receptive as Texas A&M's Irma Lerma Rangel's College of Pharmacy, especially with Dr. Robertson and Ms. De Leon - both amazing individuals.

We were also able to speak to current students, some of which were previous students at University of Houston, including our previous Pre-Pharmacy Association president.

I, without a doubt, applied to this school. Good luck to everyone with their applications and interviews!

Has anyone receive an interview invitation from the school yet? Thanks

Mailing my documents tomorrow. Let us know if you receive invites!

Anyone been to Kingsville?
How is the city as far as social life is concerned?

Anyone been to Kingsville?
How is the city as far as social life is concerned?

I've been to Kingsville. Let's just say you will have literally no distractions -- great for studying. TAMUK campus is pretty cozy when I visited.

Not much there, but it is a close knit community within the College of Pharmacy. If you get a chance, talk to Dr. Robertson. He is an amazing individual.

People are right when they say there are no distractions. Being from the RGV, I always drive by and have visited Kingsville numerous times on my way to College Station. On days when you feel like getting away from studying and entertain yourself, you would definitely need to make the 45 min drive to Corpus Christi.

ooooooo....today is the deadline to apply! Good luck to those applying! :luck: