Texas gas and the IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lvspro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all
I am curious about how things are in Texas with IMG's. A few friends were discussing residencies, and Texas came up as a desireable place to be, but does not allow IMG's to practice and yada, yada, yada, I'm sure you can figure the rest out. Anyhow, does anyone know of Texas IMG's in residency, specifically gas? Also, how about IMG attendings, or private practice pain? Just wondering.
Peace
Lo

Members don't see this ad.

lvspro said:
Hey all
A few friends were discussing residencies, and Texas came up as a desireable place to be

Really?

Anyway, from what I've heard is that Texas is the least IMG friendly and so I wouldn't bother if I were you. You could ask on the IMG forum or on the carribean sites like valuemd.com. I'm sure they would know better.

lvspro said:
Hey all
I am curious about how things are in Texas with IMG's. A few friends were discussing residencies, and Texas came up as a desireable place to be, but does not allow IMG's to practice and yada, yada, yada, I'm sure you can figure the rest out. Anyhow, does anyone know of Texas IMG's in residency, specifically gas? Also, how about IMG attendings, or private practice pain? Just wondering.
Peace
Lo

I don't think there is any IMGs here in Texas. I know alot of residents at UTSW, Baylor (obviously :) ), Texas Tech, UT San ANtonio, UT Houston , and Scott and White. To my knowledge there is no IMGs. Good luck on your search

Yo
The story continues: at our attending breakfast today, the same issue came up. One of the surgery residents knows a FP resident in Texas who just completed her residency. This FP got offered a job with all the benefits in the texas area. Said resident duly accepted, and was also in the process of applying for licensure. She is having a mutha of a time getting licensure, so much so that she has a few lawyers working on her case. In case others are wondering, apparently this bias is towards Caribbean grads. Russian, Chinese, African etc... FMG's are able to be licensed w/o problem, but US-IMG's will have one heck of a time.
On the issue of residency, although it's possible, it appears quite tough to obtain.
btw, impetigo, yes really. Compared to MI, I would think the warm weather, the great value on housing, and the lack of a state income tax would be a draw for people, but this is just a guess.
Peace
Lo