Texas Interviews 2007 - Part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have a question, forgive me if the answer is elsewhere:

If you don't match to your 1st or 2nd school, are you waitlisted at both? Or are you only waitlisted at your 1st. Or are you not even automatically waitlisted at any school---I mean, can you get a flat out rejection?

waiting waiting waiting is making me crazy crazy crazy

Members don't see this ad.

I think they will be more stressful. Even with a not so stellar MCAT you could still get into medical school. With no acceptances, you won't be going to medical school (at least in Texas that is [excluding Baylor]). So everything is riding on what shows up on the screen at midnight on the 15, instead of just what schools you have a shot at.

The match isn't the end of the application process. There's still another rolling admissions/waitlist period afterward, no? I know folks who were getting into my school in June.

If you don't match to your 1st or 2nd school, are you waitlisted at both? Or are you only waitlisted at your 1st. Or are you not even automatically waitlisted at any school---I mean, can you get a flat out rejection?

The match isn't the end of the application process. There's still another rolling admissions/waitlist period afterward, no? I know folks who were getting into my school in June.

Yes, there is a waitlist period after the match. You are automatically waitlisted at every school above the school that you match at. Degenerate cases: If you match to your #1 school, you aren't placed on any waitlist. If you don't match to any school, you are placed on the waitlist of all schools at which you interviewed.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the reply jota_jota.

One more question:

If you get in off a waitlist say, in June, do you HAVE to go there? Or do you have a choice at that point since you may have already made plans (apt, etc.) to be at your lower ranked school?

thanks for the reply jota_jota.

One more question:

If you get in off a waitlist say, in June, do you HAVE to go there? Or do you have a choice at that point since you may have already made plans (apt, etc.) to be at your lower ranked school?
I'm betting you have a choice... I doubt they could MAKE you switch at that point... but I don't know that for sure.

Wow, Baylor is really going to take this thing to the end aren't they.

Did anyone other than me not do AMCAS and just TMDSAS?

I only applied through TMDSAS and did not complete the AMCAS. What's ironic about this is that my brother is an MD/PhD student at Baylor.

Anyone want to guess as to how many 'spots' these various schools have left and what percentage of their classes are set?

I only applied through TMDSAS and did not complete the AMCAS. What's ironic about this is that my brother is an MD/PhD student at Baylor.

Anyone want to guess as to how many 'spots' these various schools have left and what percentage of their classes are set?

Are you referring to the TMDSAS schools or Baylor?

the word match makes me feel like this :scared:

btw did yall hear about some rumors about new medical schools in houston, austin, temple??

My guess on how many spots are left.

UTSW < half
UTH < half
UTMB > half
UTSA > half
TT > half
TCOM > half
Baylor - ?

btw did yall hear about some rumors about new medical schools in houston, austin, temple??

I don't think Temple is going to split officially from A&M--there aren't enough people in College Station to hold clinical rotations and the school told us they weren't going to completely break off from each other. I've never heard anything about another Houston school, but El Paso would be another that's going to split off from Tech relatively soon (a few years). Tech students will start to rotate through Odessa (and still Lubbock and Amarillo) instead of El Paso and El Paso will go solo. Austin might take a little longer because right now it's just a place UTMB kids can go to rotate.

I don't think Temple is going to split officially from A&M--there aren't enough people in College Station to hold clinical rotations and the school told us they weren't going to completely break off from each other. I've never heard anything about another Houston school, but El Paso would be another that's going to split off from Tech relatively soon (a few years). Tech students will start to rotate through Odessa (and still Lubbock and Amarillo) instead of El Paso and El Paso will go solo. Austin might take a little longer because right now it's just a place UTMB kids can go to rotate.

Houston is WAY down on the list for new medical schools, I'm sure. The underserved areas of TX are, overwhelmingly, West and Far South TX. Houston already has 3 medical schools within 1 hour of downtown. After El Paso and South Texas (I'm not completely sure if there are plans to evolve the Harlingen branch of UTSA into a full-blown Medical School, and A&M will begin a Corpus Christi satellite campus (maybe next year?)) Austin is next. UTMB is a bit more than just a place for UTMB-Galveston students to rotate -- it is currently involved in something like year 5 out of a 12-year plan to move much of the Medical School to Austin. So, in another 7 years or so, there will be the solo TTU-El Paso, Something in South Texas (definitely A&M in Corpus) and UTMB-Austin.

I think TTU-El Paso was planning on having a VERY SMALL entering class of 2008, but I'm not sure if that has changed (i.e. been pushed out.) Like was said above, Temple will remain a satellite campus of A&M (although you can now spend all 4 years there,) but will be expanding pretty rapidly.

Members don't see this ad :)
My guess on how many spots are left.

UTSW < half
UTH < half
UTMB > half
UTSA > half
TT > half
TCOM > half
Baylor - ?
I think Baylor is >= Half based upon recent info, but it also seems like they are picking up the pace of handing out acceptances again, so this might not be true for too much longer.

(I'm not completely sure if there are plans to evolve the Harlingen branch of UTSA into a full-blown Medical School,

I don't think so, unless it was a very small campus. You get to see lots of zebras but a lot of people in the Valley go to McAllen for treatment rather than Harlingen. Maybe that will change. Plus the town of Harlingen isn't very big (*maybe* bigger than B/CS but I don't think so).

But if it does change into a 4 year campus, I think that would be great for students. Very few residents means really hands on learning. Plus I know lots of people that don't want to leave the Valley, it would be nice if they had a place to go to medical school down there.

there will be a new 4 year TTU medical school in El Paso beginning in 2009. at least that's what the advertised at interviews.

FYI, A&M-Corpus will NOT be opening within a year.

The new medical school in Houston will be associated with the University of Houston.

All these new spots for Texas kids...just in time:thumbdown:

Any other rumors about UTSW we can fight over?

Feel free to make some more gross misrepresentations and we can get started.

there will be a new 4 year TTU medical school in El Paso beginning in 2009. at least that's what the advertised at interviews.

Yeah, it's been on the plans for a couple of years now, but I think they just recently got the funds necessary to finish it and have it, hopefully, running by 2009.

It's not going to be an impressive campus such as other big Texas schools...mainly because the spot they chose to build it (they chose a location close to the teaching hospital) is near downtown and there's not much space to expand. So far, they have one building completed, and another one is half-way done. It's going to be much smaller and the class will probably be smaller as well. One of the benefits it's that it's on a border so you will probably get to see a lot of pathology during clinical rotations.

However, I am almost certain that this campus will mainly attract students from the area, since West Texas (and I mean WEST) isn't exactly the hot spot for applicants....look at Texas Tech in Lubbock, it's most people's last choice.

I hate to break it to you, but I don't think that if you do not match at your top school or at all that you will automatically be put on the waitlist. It just means that your application will not be withdrawn from your top choice schools. I know this from experience. I did not match anywhere last year, and I had to call the individual schools to find out if I was on their waitlist. I know that last year, UTH waitlisted about 175 people or so. I also know of people who did not make the waitlists at all. With this said, do not give up. If this is something you want, than go for it. I am a reapplicant this year, and I am proud to say that I will be starting at UTH this fall. Good luck! PM me if you would like to know more!

The new medical school in Houston will be associated with the University of Houston.

Do you know where third years will rotate? This is really interesting that so many schools have popped up. Texas is already a really good state to be from if you're trying to get into med school, but in a few years it's just going to be wild...! I don't necessarily know if that is a good thing (unless these new doctors are going to go to rural areas where they are actually needed.)

humm.. baylor said in their email that they scheduled me for February 16th which is the last interview date. So, I guess they won't be sending out offer anymore. But yeah, I am so nervous about the match... If I don't get in through TMDSAS, I'd be soooo nervous on my Baylor interview...

Do you know where third years will rotate? This is really interesting that so many schools have popped up. Texas is already a really good state to be from if you're trying to get into med school, but in a few years it's just going to be wild...! I don't necessarily know if that is a good thing (unless these new doctors are going to go to rural areas where they are actually needed.)

More than likely Methodist Hospital....partnership with Cornell University. "Students would get a medical degree jointly awarded by UH and Cornell"
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/4494116.html

More than likely Methodist Hospital....partnership with Cornell University. "Students would get a medical degree jointly awarded by UH and Cornell"
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/4494116.html

OOoo.

UT-Houston is increasing class sizes by 10 students every year through 2010 and Baylor will increase by eight students every year starting in 2008 and continuing through 2011.

In 2002, a Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board report identified El Paso and the Rio Grande Valley as preferred sites for any new school.

The University of Texas-Austin also is interested in starting a medical school, and state Rep. Garnet Coleman, D-Houston, is pushing for a medical school affiliated with Prairie View A&M.

interesting... shucks.. if only i were a couple years younger ;)

bump to the 15th of Feb!

Oh yeah.. and with a med school with UH... since they're a state school the legislature decides if they get a med school there...and seeing how slow they've been to get a school in El Paso, a place that could REALLY use just ONE school, I think it could be a while. There are already 3 med schools in the Houston area, and there are a lot more areas in Texas that need one more. Those places also need a lot of other stuff too... but hopefully you get my kind gentle drift :)

OHHHH and a little more relevant.... has anyone actually called and asked how many spots each school is planning to have for the match? I know we've speculated but does anyone know? I'm not sure what y'all think but maybe it would be good for people who've been accepted to call their school. If it were me I'd feel bad about bugging schools too much. But it could just be me. Yeah.. def possibility :)

Question:

Suppose that I received a pre-match offer to school A. I rank A #2, and end up being matched with #1-school B. If I change my mind and suddenly want to attend school A, is this possible? :confused:

Question:

Suppose that I received a pre-match offer to school A. I rank A #2, and end up being matched with #1-school B. If I change my mind and suddenly want to attend school A, is this possible? :confused:

you will be withdrawn from school A. choose carefully, but at least either way you'll be a doctor.

OHHHH and a little more relevant.... has anyone actually called and asked how many spots each school is planning to have for the match? I know we've speculated but does anyone know? I'm not sure what y'all think but maybe it would be good for people who've been accepted to call their school. If it were me I'd feel bad about bugging schools too much. But it could just be me. Yeah.. def possibility :)

Do the honors and let us know the results!!
:D :D :D

I'm out of state, am I still part of the match system? I interviewed at UTH, no answer yet. I thought that OOS people were not involved in the Texas match, but then I got an email from UTH asking me to rank the schools I interviewed at. I'm confused.

I don't think OOS does the match. You might want to call to make sure.

P.S. I'll call UTH, UTMB, and A&M tomorrow and try to find out how many spots they have. The number of spots should not affect how you rank them, it would just be nice to know. I'm just curious for the sake of being curious :) If other people want to call too that would be super. We can see if we all get told the same thing or not. Tricky tricky med schools....:D

AggieSarah that would be awesome!!!! Hopefully they will tell you.

Non-Texas residents, MD/PhD, DO/PhD and MD/MBA applicants will not be included in the match process. Medical schools may begin extending offers of acceptance to these applicants beginning October 15.

That's copied directly from the TMDSAS website
http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/Acceptance-MatchInfo.htm#AcceptanceInfo

While I absolutely do not mind answering question (seriously), I do recommend checking the TMDSAS website for the majority of questions regarding apps, interviews, match and the like. It has quite a bit of information if you just look around a bit. I bet it would even be faster than waiting for a lovely reply on SDN :)

ohhhhhkaayyy...... So I called both UTH and UTMB and both of them said that they won't release those numbers. UTH said they won't just because it makes people to anxious. :scared: I do understand this but......if it was a normal year we really would know how many spots there were so in a way I think it would be more fair, but whatever. I do understand but at the same time its a little irritating. OHHH WELLL!!!! I'm sorry guys. :( I guess we can all just go back to guessing. I think that may cause more worry and stress than just flat out knowing.
But cheer up its almost here!!:luck: :luck: :luck:

ohhhhhkaayyy...... So I called both UTH and UTMB and both of them said that they won't release those numbers. UTH said they won't just because it makes people to anxious. :scared:

UTH was right... i starting getting anxious when i just read you were gonna call to find out...:D

UTH was right... i starting getting anxious when i just read you were gonna call to find out...:D

no stress no stress!!! Think happy thoughts! There seriously were SO many people with multiple acceptances that I KNOW a TON of spots opened up.

From my aggie perspective I'd rank the popularity as UTSW>UTH>UTMB>UTSA=A&M>Tech>TCOM Though I think UTSA and UTMB are close too. And it seems on SDN that many people think UTMB blows UTH out of the water. No matter what... you gotta admit Texas is and AH-mazing place to get to apply to medical school. I know it will all work out for the best for everyone! :luck: :D

wrd. texas is the best country in the entire world.

i'm banking on people declining a&m so i get my spot.

no stress no stress!!! Think happy thoughts! There seriously were SO many people with multiple acceptances that I KNOW a TON of spots opened up.

From my aggie perspective I'd rank the popularity as UTSW>UTH>UTMB>UTSA=A&M>Tech>TCOM Though I think UTSA and UTMB are close too. And it seems on SDN that many people think UTMB blows UTH out of the water. No matter what... you gotta admit Texas is and AH-mazing place to get to apply to medical school. I know it will all work out for the best for everyone! :luck: :D

What do you mean when you say "many people think UTMB blows UTH out of the water"...as in many people like UTMB more than UTH?...I haven't got that impression at all. Maybe I missed something

What do you mean when you say "many people think UTMB blows UTH out of the water"...as in many people like UTMB more than UTH?...I haven't got that impression at all. Maybe I missed something

UTH, UTMB and UTSA are like pretty girls. The difference is in the eye of the beholder.

I think you may be on to something because at a recent medical conference in Dallas, a representative for the Texas Medical Association spoke about a big problem with Texas not having enough residency positions for all its graduated medical students. This forces some students to attend out of state, which often results in these students eventually practicing out of state. On a side note, that same representative said that it presently costs $250,000 for a Texas school to educate a medical student.

I heard the match is at midnight. Is that midnight of the 14th so technically the 15th or is it midnight on the 15th (technically the 16th)?

I'm being really paranoid here, but all we have to do for Match is go to the website, enter the schools by preference, then hit save, right?

I heard the match is at midnight. Is that midnight of the 14th so technically the 15th or is it midnight on the 15th (technically the 16th)?

midnight Valentine's Day (the 14th)

Status
Not open for further replies.