Texas Interviews 2007 - Part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean when you say "many people think UTMB blows UTH out of the water"...as in many people like UTMB more than UTH?...I haven't got that impression at all. Maybe I missed something

I more meant that while I prefer UTH to UTMB, there have been some people who will rip your face off if you say that :) mostly since board scores are higher at UTMB than UTH. TMC is awesome but some prefer UTMB curriculum to UTH. It could also just be some of the posts I read that are sticking out in my head. I guess you get the same thing from UTH people who will also rip your face off for saying UTMB is better because Galveston does not have all the amenities and populations that some people desire. Some days I have selective hearing... maybe I have selective reading too. :) Also the neg. comments could be sticking out since I've leaned toward UTH over UTMB. You never know. :) We've all got our biases I guess.

[addition] Oh yeah... I also meant it before from the vibe I've been getting from other Aggie's I know that have been admitted. Most preferred UTH over UTMB (though MANY did enjoy UTMB) and chose so in pre-match, where as on here I think its pretty even/a little tilted toward UTMB (or it could just be the vocal fans of their school :))

Members don't see this ad.

ohhhhhkaayyy...... So I called both UTH and UTMB and both of them said that they won't release those numbers. UTH said they won't just because it makes people to anxious. :scared: I do understand this but......if it was a normal year we really would know how many spots there were so in a way I think it would be more fair, but whatever. I do understand but at the same time its a little irritating. OHHH WELLL!!!! I'm sorry guys. :( I guess we can all just go back to guessing. I think that may cause more worry and stress than just flat out knowing.
But cheer up its almost here!!:luck: :luck: :luck:

thanks for calling! i was too chicken to do it. :p i kind of expected that type of answer too. hehe.

soooo... hows everyone's LMFU??.. jk jk jk :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you may be on to something because at a recent medical conference in Dallas, a representative for the Texas Medical Association spoke about a big problem with Texas not having enough residency positions for all its graduated medical students. This forces some students to attend out of state, which often results in these students eventually practicing out of state. On a side note, that same representative said that it presently costs $250,000 for a Texas school to educate a medical student.

Yikes! Good to know. What are they thinking...?

when sending an email to tmdsas to update them of our coursework, is there a special format to use or just straight-out tell them the changes? thanks!

not so serious answer:
fire and brimstone will rain forth from the pulpits.

serious answer:
you will be withdrawn from consideration.

I see. I'm not sure what to do w/ UTMB. I liked it sure, but not sure if I could see myself there for 2-4yrs. Is it still speculated/confirmed that SW is not participating in the matching festivities? That might change things for me then...

I see. I'm not sure what to do w/ UTMB. I liked it sure, but not sure if I could see myself there for 2-4yrs. Is it still speculated/confirmed that SW is not participating in the matching festivities? That might change things for me then...

To my knowledge (which is limited to this forum and a friend that goes there). That is speculation. IMO, Baylor is still a heavyweight that will draw away some UTSW spots and since the match doesn't hurt you by putting them #1 you may as well rank it that way.

I sent an email to TMDSAS and they told me they could not tell me if the algorithm was exactly like NRMP but they did say that you cannot be hurt by the order you rank them in; that we should order them by our own preferences and if there is a spot for us there, then we will match to the highest possible.

bottom line if i were you-rank utsw #1 b/c this will not hurt you, and rank utmb last if you had ANY inkling of going there versus applying next year/going out of state.

sorry to be hogging this thread, but more people look at it. still trying to settle the utmb vs utsa debate. is there a comparable woman from galveston to eva longoria?

sorry to be hogging this thread, but more people look at it. still trying to settle the utmb vs utsa debate. is there a comparable woman from galveston to eva longoria?

what fields are you interested in?

do you have any ties to either city?

what fields are you interested in?
Emergency, Internal, possibly surgery (my interest in that field is waning though),

do you have any ties to either city?
i have family in dallas and austin. i have more friends at utmb, but that is not really a concern.

i have a huge pro/con list that i need to type up. i'll post it as soon as i have it synthesized.

Members don't see this ad :)
... and rank utmb last if you had ANY inkling of going there versus applying next year/going out of state.

That's what I'm debating. Not sure if i would go there, if accepted... plus there is that deadline where no other TX school can give acceptances past a certain day, so although unlikely, I'd hate for THAT to be the reason an acceptance offer isn't made to a school I'd rather go to assuming I dont match at a school I really do want to go to.

One concern I have about UTMB (though I did love the people and the atmosphere) is the lack of patients coming into the area. Other than to go to Shriner's, for big problems I personally think Houston has a bigger pull in that area, and other professionals I know have brought up a lack of patient base as a concern to me. That may be on your con list I'm not sure, but though I think you would be trained well anywhere (UTMB does have a great mock patient thingie) treating prisoner's as a large part of training (as I have heard from reliable UTMB employees) would not be my first choice. But its up to you. And in a way with the match, you can feel you'll end up at the right place, where you're meant to be. You only have to think hard about ranking, and the system, God or whatever/whomever else you believe in will take care of the rest. I hope knowing that can bring you a bit of peace with such a hard decision. :)

wow things slow around here. interesting bit of trivia to pass the time:

on tmdsas under the page with the LMFU, the button at the very bottom reads "return to applicantion page."

discuss.

One concern I have about UTMB (though I did love the people and the atmosphere) is the lack of patients coming into the area. Other than to go to Shriner's, for big problems I personally think Houston has a bigger pull in that area, and other professionals I know have brought up a lack of patient base as a concern to me. That may be on your con list I'm not sure, but though I think you would be trained well anywhere (UTMB does have a great mock patient thingie) treating prisoner's as a large part of training (as I have heard from reliable UTMB employees) would not be my first choice. But its up to you. And in a way with the match, you can feel you'll end up at the right place, where you're meant to be. You only have to think hard about ranking, and the system, God or whatever/whomever else you believe in will take care of the rest. I hope knowing that can bring you a bit of peace with such a hard decision. :)

yeah..although the students seemed happy, there is some weirdness surrounding utmb. something about the school being under litigation for selling donated body parts for profit, the chief of medicine leaving after her husband gets mugged due to to staff cuts turned me off...oh yeah, and hearing on the tour, "you wouldn't believe the procedures we get to do on the guys that come here from the correctional service, you would never get to that kind of stuff on a NORMAL patient." needless to say my eyebrows were raised, and about a month later i find out that utmb is under investigation for their treatment of the patient population...yikes!

i think you could probably get a good education at utmb, but if i had other options i might take them!

<tumbleweed rolls across>

can anyone confirm that utsw is abstaining from the match? i gotta admit, i'm still agonizing about my #1 spot, and that info would greatly simplify things.

Here's why ranking a school lower won't hurt you: because it's the school's lists that matter, not ours. So if UTSA (for example) ranks you higher than another student, then that spot is available to you first regardless of where you rank them. What matters is if your #1 choice has you within their accept range, in which case you go to school #1 and only then is your spot now available to student who UTSA ranked lower than you.

Also, I emailed UTSW and they confirmed that they are participating in the match.

Hope this isn't repeat information. I'm trying to check this page sporadically so I don't go crazy. :luck: everyone!

Also, I emailed UTSW and they confirmed that they are participating in the match.

Cool. Even if it's not true, still makes me feel good!

I dont know about these rumors of UTMB, but for some reason it didn't feel like it was for me... dunno why. And as far as patient base, that is a concern, but that Austin rotation thing is probably in place to take care of that.

By the way, what hospitals are there in Austin that you rotate at? Are they private, public, etc.???

there is some weirdness surrounding utmb. something about the school being under litigation for selling donated body parts for profit

Interesting way to balance the budget! I hadn't heard that story. Just did a Google search and found some articles about this back in 2002. UTMB was dismissed from that lawsuit back in 2003 for lack of negligence. The original investigation was the result of a UTMB internal audit. The employee that was allegedly responsible has since died and was never convicted.

Has there been a reoccurrence of body part budget balancing since then?

Interesting way to balance the budget! I hadn't heard that story. Just did a Google search and found some articles about this back in 2002. UTMB was dismissed from that lawsuit back in 2003 for lack of negligence. The original investigation was the result of a UTMB internal audit. The employee that was allegedly responsible has since died and was never convicted.
Has there been a reoccurrence of body part budget balancing since then?

Yeah, but i bet they sold his/her body parts too.;)

Hey, so with this being the last day to rank, I'm considering ranking TCOM above Tech. Any thoughts? Lots of people tell me a DO is a stigma....but I think I want to do primary care and TCOM is ranked in the top 50 on that US World Report list. AND, I really don't want to live in Lubbock.
Any thoughts on which is a better school? I hope this doesn't uspet anyone me posting this here----but any advice would be appreciated!!
thanks

<tumbleweed rolls across>

b/c that wasn't funny to you, or there isn't a comparable woman? clearly i'm ranking schools based on famous (taken) celebrities. but if i do match to utsa, tony parker should watch out...

Hey, so with this being the last day to rank, I'm considering ranking TCOM above Tech. Any thoughts? Lots of people tell me a DO is a stigma....but I think I want to do primary care and TCOM is ranked in the top 50 on that US World Report list. AND, I really don't want to live in Lubbock.
Any thoughts on which is a better school? I hope this doesn't uspet anyone me posting this here----but any advice would be appreciated!!
thanks

If I hadn't gotten into my first choice, I would have, without a doubt, ranked TCOM over TT. I loved the school when I visited, and the atmosphere seemed much better. TCOM is in a very nice district of Fort Worth (as opposed to SW, which is in a kind of scary area...but I digress). I was impressed with their facilities and the staff and faculty all seemed very approachable and friendly. In regards to clinical experience, well, TCOM is in a slightly more diverse area, you might see a greater variety of patients there than you would at Lubbock. Also, they are ranked very high in terms of primary care, but that doesn't mean you have to do primary care if you go there. It is a very good school.

To tell you the truth, most students at TT admitted that they were there only because no other school accepted them. I didn't like the prospect of being at a school that was everybody's last choice. The only good thing I heard was the fact that during surgery rotations, they have a hospital you can choose to rotate in which has no residents, so you automatically get to be 1st assistant. Pretty cool if you want to go the surgery route. Also, take into consideration the fact that you may have to move out of Lubbock for your 3rd and 4th years.

As for the DO, I feel that it is mostly a stigma when you're dealing with SDN. Outside of this website, I've never encountered anyone who bashed DO's. As a matter of fact, the MDs I've talked to consider DO's their equal partners, and they've told me there's basically no difference in abilities. Now, if it matters too much to you to have an MD after your name, then go for Texas Tech.

Just my opinion, again, we all have different priorities and reasons.

If I hadn't gotten into my first choice, I would have, without a doubt, ranked TCOM over TT. I loved the school when I visited, and the atmosphere seemed much better. TCOM is in a very nice district of Fort Worth (as opposed to SW, which is in a kind of scary area...but I digress). I was impressed with their facilities and the staff and faculty all seemed very approachable and friendly. In regards to clinical experience, well, TCOM is in a slightly more diverse area, you might see a greater variety of patients there than you would at Lubbock. Also, they are ranked very high in terms of primary care, but that doesn't mean you have to do primary care if you go there. It is a very good school.

To tell you the truth, most students at TT admitted that they were there only because no other school accepted them. I didn't like the prospect of being at a school that was everybody's last choice. The only good thing I heard was the fact that during surgery rotations, they have a hospital you can choose to rotate in which has no residents, so you automatically get to be 1st assistant. Pretty cool if you want to go the surgery route. Also, take into consideration the fact that you may have to move out of Lubbock for your 3rd and 4th years.

As for the DO, I feel that it is mostly a stigma when you're dealing with SDN. Outside of this website, I've never encountered anyone who bashed DO's. As a matter of fact, the MDs I've talked to consider DO's their equal partners, and they've told me there's basically no difference in abilities. Now, if it matters too much to you to have an MD after your name, then go for Texas Tech.

Just my opinion, again, we all have different priorities and reasons.

I can't argue with a single point that baylormed has made.

Having said that, as someone who only interviewed at TCOM, I have my interests in hoping you (and others) will rank TT over TCOM :)

The only other point I would make is although TCOM is a fantastic school (certain one of the best DO schools nations, as far as board scores, residency placement, etc), I would imagine that as far as securing the more competitive allopathic residencies, you'd be better served going to TT. This is just a generality, however; I know, glancing at TCOM's previous match lists, that they place very well in allopathic residencies (at UTSW, and elsewhere).

Just my two cents as a hopefully TCOM 2011'er.

I can't argue with a single point that baylormed has made.

Having said that, as someone who only interviewed at TCOM, I have my interests in hoping you (and others) will rank TT over TCOM :)

The only other point I would make is although TCOM is a fantastic school (certain one of the best DO schools nations, as far as board scores, residency placement, etc), I would imagine that as far as securing the more competitive allopathic residencies, you'd be better served going to TT. This is just a generality, however; I know, glancing at TCOM's previous match lists, that they place very well in allopathic residencies (at UTSW, and elsewhere).

Just my two cents as a hopefully TCOM 2011'er.

True. I didn't see much difference in the match list from TCOM and that of the other MD schools where I interviewed (UTSW, UTSA, and TT). It looked like the same sort of distribution.

Eternal Rage central processing unit assessing memory banks...

Data file 0010010101 retrieved.
Texas Jayhawk said:
He also said, as before, that UTSW will most likely not be involved in the match.

Initiating boolean comparison...

Unable to consolidate parameters...

Attempting to override logic subroutines...

Unable to resolve computational inconsistency...

FATAL ERROR FATAL ERROR FATAL ERROR
101010101010101011010101010101010110101010101010101101010101010101011010101010101010110101010101010101101010101010101011010101010101010110101010101010101101010101010101011010101010101010110101010101010101101010101010101011010101010101010110101010101010101
SYSTEM SHUTDOWN

Eternal Rage central processing unit assessing memory banks...

Data file 0010010101 retrieved.

Initiating boolean comparison...

Unable to consolidate parameters...

Attempting to override logic subroutines...

Unable to resolve computational inconsistency...

FATAL ERROR FATAL ERROR FATAL ERROR
101010101010101011010101010101010110101010101010101101010101010101011010101010101010110101010101010101101010101010101011010101010101010110101010101010101101010101010101011010101010101010110101010101010101101010101010101011010101010101010110101010101010101
SYSTEM SHUTDOWN

:laugh: Eternal Rage....be nice.

Booting from hard disk...

Incomplete shutdown detected prior to reboot...

Checking disk for errors...

Unresolved error detected...

Creating partition...

Moving batch file error to partition for removal...

File deleted...

Restarting operating system Eternal Rage XP Professional Version 5.1.2.23.3.44.45a-2.33.42...

Hey sup everyone.

What were we talking about?

Alisa as far as match list is concerned. It is hard to compare without knowing your interests.

A high percentage of Tech students match to TTUHSC programs, so if you don't want to stay in Lubbock keep that in mind. On the other hand A&M's promotional video states that almost 50% are going into primary care, so if you are looking to specialize that may change things. Tech seems to be strong in Ob/Gyn, & Surgery. A&M seems to be strong in Pediatrics.

Alisa, there's a thread somewhere called "Residency match lists" by Phil Anthropist I beleive that has a large # of them. Do a search for it.

I definitely agree that MDs see DOs as peers and not substandard practitioners. However I will argue that many patients will choose an MD over a DO. When you join a healthcare provider, a list is given of the doctors in their network and many people will blindly choose an MD over a DO, simply b/c they don't know what a DO really is.

This is the only reason I didn't apply to TCOM. OMM actually does appeal to me.

I definitely agree that MDs see DOs as peers and not substandard practitioners. However I will argue that many patients will choose an MD over a DO. When you join a healthcare provider, a list is given of the doctors in their network and many people will blindly choose an MD over a DO, simply b/c they don't know what a DO really is.

This is the only reason I didn't apply to TCOM. OMM actually does appeal to me.
....which leads me into the reason why I DIDN'T end up applying to DO schools: OMM

I agree that, for the most part, MDs and DOs are considered equals, but you have to waste your time with that OMM stuff in DO school. I would much rather take additional [allopathic] electives then waste my time with that stuff. JMHO. Also, even though MDs and DOs may be considered equals, the same isn't necessarily true about MD and DO SCHOOLS in the eyes of residency directors. Consider that if you'd like to try to match into an allopathic residency, you will have to take the USMLE IN ADDITION TO the COMLEX. Overall, it just seems like DO students have to do more work to have the same status as MD students, so it sort of seems that MD STUDENTS and DO STUDENTS are not considered equals <shrug>

1) eternalrage, you should update to eternalrage vista. it's sooo much cooler. hahaha.

2) i'd choose TCOM over TTU anyday. it's true that OMM is annoying because the majority of DOs don't use it unless in primary care or specializing in OMM. facilities here are amazing and the profs are great for the most part. concerning the USMLE + COMLEX thing, that is pretty annoying, but if the majority of TCOM students can do it, i don't see it as a huge problem. i have heard that down the line, they may be combining the USMLE and COMLEX, allowing DO students to take an additional OMM section.

3) i know TAMU has 50% go into primary care, but that shouldn't dissuade you from ranking it higher. i think it's the choices you make, not the school's MO that leads to such a residency match list. although i'm hoping everyone declines TAMU so i have a fighting chance.

yeah..although the students seemed happy, there is some weirdness surrounding utmb. something about the school being under litigation for selling donated body parts for profit, the chief of medicine leaving after her husband gets mugged due to to staff cuts turned me off...oh yeah, and hearing on the tour, "you wouldn't believe the procedures we get to do on the guys that come here from the correctional service, you would never get to that kind of stuff on a NORMAL patient." needless to say my eyebrows were raised, and about a month later i find out that utmb is under investigation for their treatment of the patient population...yikes!

i think you could probably get a good education at utmb, but if i had other options i might take them!

I agree their is some weirdness about UTMB that I just couldn't come to grips with. Every school makes it a point to talk about the good things and not discuss the not so bad ones. They do very well on their boards, but what about everything else?

Anyone getting nervous about today being the last day to rank?

How did you guys end up ranking the schools??? For me its:

1. TAMU
2. Texas Tech

1. San Antonio
2. Houston
3. Tech

I would have bet on an acceptance to Tech from this list and as it turns out they wanted no part of me, at least not early. I was told to expect this process to be random and it did not disappoint.

Best wishes to all entering the match.....I hope you all place where you want to be.

Take care,

'Rambler:luck:

1) eternalrage, you should update to eternalrage vista. it's sooo much cooler. hahaha.

Can this be done through EternalRage's XP Update or do I have to go out and buy this new operating system?

Because if I have to Update that will be a problem because my EternalRage XP is a bootleg version and I can't get past that certification or validation checker. There's lots of bugs and stuff on Eternal Rage now because I don't have all the Security Updates from Monkeysoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.