Texas Interviews 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting an elistist vibe from SW after reading all this...

Reminds me of high school where everyone wanted to punch out all the rich kids for beign so snobby, even other rich kids who were somewhat down to earth...
That's just the administration... probably not representative of the students at all. But I know how you feel... nothing better than knowing a school really does want you there.

Did I just stand up for Southwestern? :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

That's just the administration... probably not representative of the students at all. But I know how you feel... nothing better than knowing a school really does want you there.

Yup. :laugh:

On the other hand, from the other two schools I got into, I can tell you guys SW was the most friendly one. I got e-mail notices when my decision was received, and congratulatory e-mails from many different people in the administration and some students encouraging you to ask questions about the school so that you could make an informed decision. I got at least 1-2 e-mails a week. From the other schools, ZERO. No acknowledgment, or opportunities to ask questions.

So, stop spreading rumors about SW, okay? ;)

On the other hand, from the other two schools I got into, I can tell you guys SW was the most friendly one. I got e-mail notices when my decision was received, and congratulatory e-mails from many different people in the administration and some students encouraging you to ask questions about the school so that you could make an informed decision. I got at least 1-2 e-mails a week. From the other schools, ZERO. No acknowledgment, or opportunities to ask questions.

I got letters and calls from both SA & from Houston. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just rank what you want... Also I wouldn't let a website of other applicants competing for spots change my perceptions that I personally established at a program based upon rumors and heresay. Thats not to say that something somebody is writing is not true but, this is your education so I would make your own evaluations.

I'm not trying to say anything bad about UTSW. I just wanted to help out anyone else that is still waiting for UTSW. That's where I want to go, and the administration there has been more than helpful and courteous. Maybe it's a good thing that they aren't doing the match. If you have any second thoughts about SW, then you still have another in state option.

deleted post that was the result of weather induced premed paranoia

I'm not trying to say anything bad about UTSW. I just wanted to help out anyone else that is still waiting for UTSW. That's where I want to go, and the administration there has been more than helpful and courteous. Maybe it's a good thing that they aren't doing the match. If you have any second thoughts about SW, then you still have another in state option.

It just seems strange to me that they aren't doing the match. If they don't do it they can't give out other admissions. To even get on the waitlist they had to have made a list in the first place to submit to TMDSAS. I feel like something was lost in all the discussion. I'd like to email TMDSAS to see if its really possible for a school to opt out of the match. Which I personally think is stupid. :) but that's just me. I do appreciate the info you're giving though. so Thanks :)

Yeah, I was told that if you don't rank SW first then they won't even consider you for acceptance after the match. Their reason for avoiding the match is so that people with an acceptance already don't have to lose their acceptance if they also get in at UTSW. They want you to have plenty of time to make sure that UTSW is your top pick over the other school.

Personally, by ranking them first in the match, it seems to me that you've had plenty of time to think about it.

I have no prematch offers, but interviewed at four Tx schools. Does this mean then, that if I don't rank SW first I am in effect limiting my admission possibilities to three schools? But if I do, I have a shot at all four schools?

WHAT. That pisses me off.
Is Southwestern too good for the match?

They are going to just drag out this agonizing process even longer. Thanks Southwestern.
They essentially stated this to interviewees (though you had to be alert to catch it.)

When they talked about acceptance procedures, they mentioned the rolling admissions period, and then the waitlist. They did not mention the match whatsoever.

It's also no secret that UTSW was the school that wanted/pushed for the rolling admissions in the first place (I think Dr Avery (?) at UTMB told me that they were the ONLY school that really wanted it) so it kind of makes sense.

I think UTSW's perspective is that they've lost a lot of good applicants to Baylor in the past, and they (for whatever reason) think it's because of the TMDSAS admissions procedures. So they're trying to be more like Baylor with rolling admissions only (first through the pre-match offers, and then through a ranked [wait]list like Baylor.)

At first, I thought that this was somewhat silly, but since it's been ~2 months since I was accepted to UTSW, and I'm (along with lots of others) STILL waiting on Baylor, I've had more time to plan things out about my move to Dallas, etc. Honestly, even if I were accepted to Baylor, I think I might lean towards UTSW now because of the extra time I've had to plan (but I'll deal with that if I'm lucky to be accepted to Baylor :) .) So, maybe they're on to something about giving out all their acceptances early.

It would've been nice if they would've made things crystal clear so that there wasn't any misunderstanding, however. Good luck to everybody!

I'd ask for clarification from TMDSAS/UTSW on this matter. If UTSW opts out of the match, it would seem unfair that they'd get to view how applicants ranked the schools.

In the end, rank based on your preferences. You never know how this process turns out, and you don't want to end up at a school you didn't like because you thought based on rumor that they'd reject you.

ha... you're getting sucked in, admit it.

but really the administration is pretty nice here. They've personally done things for me at my request that weren't so easy to do, so they get a :thumbup: from me.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the point of UTSW not doing match is to get the most qualified applicants to consider their school, then how you rank them would not matter. They are going to accept the best applicants off the waitlist no matter how they ranked, otherwise they might as well do match. Makes sense, right?

Or maybe they really are just a benevolent school that wants to give every student alot of options, and are not just trying to bolster their stats (doubt it). And it would make sense that they would only offer spots to kids that had them ranked first so to give that kid multiple offers just for the hell of it, haha. Okay i'm confusing myself... i'll stop now.

I am sorry, I wasn't talking directly to you and I should have made that clear.

I was talking to the people who are calling SW "elitist" for not going through the match. It just bothers me (huh, and I haven't even started there yet) that on the least provocation people immediately scream "Southwestern people are elitist jerks!". I understand they are hoping to hear from SW and feel frustrated...but that's no reason to badmouth any school.

I think UTSW's perspective is that they've lost a lot of good applicants to Baylor in the past, and they (for whatever reason) think it's because of the TMDSAS admissions procedures. So they're trying to be more like Baylor with rolling admissions only (first through the pre-match offers, and then through a ranked [wait]list like Baylor.)

Yeah, I totally believe that. It's worked for me as well. Since I got into there so early, I haven't even bothered trying to get off waitlists of other schools or even desire to go to their interviews.

I am sorry, I wasn't talking directly to you and I should have made that clear.

I was talking to the people who are calling SW "elitist" for not going through the match. It just bothers me (huh, and I haven't even started there yet) that on the least provocation people immediately scream "Southwestern people are elitist jerks!". I understand they are hoping to hear from SW and feel frustrated...but that's no reason to badmouth any school.

People = me. I am the only one that flat out said it. If you've got a clique of people and they all decide to do something and if there's a rich, well known kid in the group who decides not to - well you're right his mom might be sick, or his car might be broke - but he might also not want to bowl at Joe's Ten Pin on the east side of town and instead play a couple holes at his daddy's country club.

I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that there is some method to their madness... maybe some benevolent method, since after all they did extend me an invite, so I will change that word that has bad connotations.

I didn't think the match was optional for participating schools. AFAIK, all TMDSAS school wil play in the sand box called the match.

The 260 # seems unusual, since we were told we weren't interviewing for a waitlist spot.

Yeah I was there on the same day as Y_Marker and they said we weren't interviewing for the waitlist.

Well actually they said something along the lines of "if you are to be at UTSW, there's a spot for you here"... some slick talking there - like how they answered q's about the cutthroating/competitiveness. Stuff about the name of UTSW for the residency match (which prior to that day I thought made as much difference as undergrad schools and med applications?). Slick slick slick. Like oil slick.

Hey House... not so much a hot cheerleader that will stomp all over you... now it's a hot cheerleader that will sweet talk you so you don't see it coming...

People = me. I am the only one that flat out said it. If you've got a clique of people and they all decide to do something and if there's a rich, well known kid in the group who decides not to - well you're right his mom might be sick, or his car might be broke - but he might also not want to bowl at Joe's Ten Pin on the east side of town and instead play a couple holes at his daddy's country club.
I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that there is some method to their madness... maybe some benevolent method, since after all they did extend me an invite, so I will change that word that has bad connotations.

Bitter much?

And yeah, I guess people = you, since you are the one running around using words like "rich, well known kid", "elitist", and "daddy's country club", o and I forgot "madness".

Okay, okay, backing off now....I'm staying away from this match paranoia.

ok for those who are SWT class of '11. just wondering if anyone knows when we should start sending in the app for housing. Is on campus the best option? and what do you guys feel about living alone? any tennis players with avg skills out there? i seriously need to start playing again...

Almost everyone on here irrationally bashing SW sounds like a baby.

And for the record I was not fortunate enough to get accepted nor interview at SW so I have no reason to stick up for the hot girl that dumped me before prom.

Almost everyone on here irrationally bashing SW sounds like a baby.

And for the record I was not fortunate enough to get accepted nor interview at SW so I have no reason to stick up for the hot girl that dumped me before prom.

If Southwestern is avoiding the match then they are being unfair to the applicants anxiously waiting the match. These actions would lessen the importance of match day and unnecessarily drag out this process even longer.

Match day is there for a reason.

I apologize if I came off a little harsh earlier, but if UTSW has a problem with TMDSAS and/or Baylor they need to deal with it in a manner that doesn't adversely affect applicants depending on the match.

well this week hopefully some ppl can call schools and ask how many seats opened up :D

and is anyone else FREEEZZZINGG??

If Southwestern is avoiding the match then they are being unfair to the applicants anxiously waiting the match.

How so?

What did they promise you?

And WHO promised you?

Why do you feel like you are owed something?

They gave away so many acceptances pre-match (which to me sounds like they are being nice to everyone) that they want to see how many of those students actually accept the offers before they over-extend themselves.

Stop thinking about the black helicopters. They are NOT doing this to see who truly is ranking which TX schools where. After the match, more students will have a better idea where they want to go to school and SW will then have a better idea how many slots they need to fill.

They have already over-offered the class by 60 slots (260 vs. 200). While it is likely they will need to offer another 80-100 students, SW would like to make sure before creating a huge mess.

THEY ARE NOT OUT TO GET YOU!

best of luck...

First off let me say I have nothing against UTSW, except the way it appears they are going to handle the match. I would be honored to attend their medical school.

The match is there for a reason. It is supposed to be the culmination of the acceptance process. Other than a very few people who get in off the waitlist.

If UTSW or any other TMDSAS school doesn't want to utilize the match, then TMDSAS should go strictly to rolling admissions.

If UTSW has 260 acceptances prior to Jan. 15 Then they most likely will offer more acceptances (someone posted they usually give out 350-400 acceptances) and should utilize the match because they are a TMDSAS school and they probably have an agreement to do so.

Lastly, Holdenc don't write a condescending post and put best of luck at then end to make it looke like you are taking the high road because you're not.

How so?

What did they promise you?

And WHO promised you?

Why do you feel like you are owed something?

They gave away so many acceptances pre-match (which to me sounds like they are being nice to everyone) that they want to see how many of those students actually accept the offers before they over-extend themselves.

I'll go ahead a disagree with you on this one. We followed their strict guidelines during the process, so they should go ahead and stick with their own set guidelines. Them not doing match was never discussed during interviews, and therefore it is gonna be a big letdown come MATCH day for some people. And if UTSW is supposedly not doing match, what is to stop every school from not doing MATCH and waitlisting everyone? I imagine you wouldnt be too happy either if that happened to you at the schools u interviewed at.

Status
Not open for further replies.