Texas licensing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pkul85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, i Went to a Caribbean med school that " lacks regional accreditation". Im finishing up residency in family medicine and applying for my Texas Medical License since my entire family lives there. Can getting board certified PRIOR TO applying bypass this? I know that getting board certified prior allows you to bypass the rotations requirement.
Any information helps.

Thank you kindly.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, i Went to a Caribbean med school that " lacks regional accreditation". Im finishing up residency in family medicine and applying for my Texas Medical License since my entire family lives there. Can getting board certified PRIOR TO applying bypass this? I know that getting board certified prior allows you to bypass the rotations requirement.
Any information helps.

Thank you kindly.
It depends on your specialty, but not for family medicine - Just like most boards, ABFM requires an unrestricted medical license in some state to actually get board certified, so you'd be stuck in a chicken/egg scenario. You may be able to do it by getting a license in a different state, then getting board certified on the basis of that license, then getting licensed in TX.

In addition, the timeline wouldn't probably work out if you plan on working immediately after residency - people apply for their licenses *months* before they plan on starting work, and even the ABFM (which is like, the most efficient of all the certifying boards) won't certify you prior to you actually finishing residency. Even if you take the test while still in residency (which ABFM allows), you won't be certified before July - and then the earliest you could get a license to start work would be like October - being unemployed for 3-4 months would suck.

Your realistic options would be

1) Get licensed in TX without board certification - this may or may not work depending on what their policies are with regards to your specific medical school. I know jack diddly squat about the TX board, so you'd have to find out if it's possible.

2) Get a license in a different state and take your first job there for some time until you're boarded and able to get a TX license, then get a job in TX.

Reactions: 1 users
It depends on your specialty, but not for family medicine - Just like most boards, ABFM requires an unrestricted medical license in some state to actually get board certified, so you'd be stuck in a chicken/egg scenario. You may be able to do it by getting a license in a different state, then getting board certified on the basis of that license, then getting licensed in TX.

In addition, the timeline wouldn't probably work out if you plan on working immediately after residency - people apply for their licenses *months* before they plan on starting work, and even the ABFM (which is like, the most efficient of all the certifying boards) won't certify you prior to you actually finishing residency. Even if you take the test while still in residency (which ABFM allows), you won't be certified before July - and then the earliest you could get a license to start work would be like October - being unemployed for 3-4 months would suck.

Your realistic options would be

1) Get licensed in TX without board certification - this may or may not work depending on what their policies are with regards to your specific medical school. I know jack diddly squat about the TX board, so you'd have to find out if it's possible.

2) Get a license in a different state and take your first job there for some time until you're boarded and able to get a TX license, then get a job in TX.

I am a US citizen and not terribly worried about the timeline as much as I am about the feasibility. I have started the process (& the only thing I have left are to write the actual boards scheduled for April).. but i just received that information from the foreign credentials service of america ( FCSA) today & started to panic. I'm happy to work somewhere else for a few months until this all comes together and will definitely apply for my MI license in the meantime.

In your experience/understanding, will your option (2) qualify me to get a TX license ( despite this FCSA statement about my medical school's credentials)? Or will this "lacks regional accreditation" automatically disqualify me?

Thank you so much again for replying and for your time!

Any information helps.

Thank you kindly.
Well I was in your shoes very recently and can give you some insight. I'm from Texas and went to a Caribbean school. My family was there and I had a job lined up. So I absolutely needed to get licensed. Texas is very rigid on licensing and it can take months. First I'm not sure which school you're referring to, but if it's not on the list of approved (http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/idl/A9AFA127-082F-6C6D-1421-B5BEDB9C3E02), there is no Texas license. Period. Second, unless you did ALL of your clerkship rotations in places that had residencies or fellowship ("green book rotations") in that specialty (eg Peds rotation-Must be done with a ped residency program, OB-ob residency etc etc), then you need to be a BOARD CERTIFIED family med doc BEFORE your application will be looked at. My advise is get a license ASAP in a state like Pennsylvania or Indiana, where it's a quick and relatively inexpensive. This way you can sit for your boards and get board certified. What you can do to save time is start the Texas licensing process after you complete your residency. This is because you have a large list of documentation that needs to be submitted and reviewed by a screener. It's a checklist that you can upload everything to. This can be a long process to get everything uploaded/sent and approved. You can get everything approved and checked off except your board certification. But this way once you do get board certified you've already taken care of everything else. The one catch is that once you start an Texas app, it has to be completed within ONE YEAR. If not then you have to pay for a whole new application ($800). Once everything has been screened and approved the app moves into a review process. That takes more time (2-6 weeks usually). Then once approved it has to be approved by the committee which meets every 3 weeks. So that's it in a nutshell. Hope this helps. It was a frustrating and long process but it's a big relief once you're done. Best of luck.

Reactions: 5 users
Well I was in your shoes very recently and can give you some insight. I'm from Texas and went to a Caribbean school. My family was there and I had a job lined up. So I absolutely needed to get licensed. Texas is very rigid on licensing and it can take months. First I'm not sure which school you're referring to, but if it's not on the list of approved (http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/idl/A9AFA127-082F-6C6D-1421-B5BEDB9C3E02), there is no Texas license. Period. Second, unless you did ALL of your clerkship rotations in places that had residencies or fellowship ("green book rotations") in that specialty (eg Peds rotation-Must be done with a ped residency program, OB-ob residency etc etc), then you need to be a BOARD CERTIFIED family med doc BEFORE your application will be looked at. My advise is get a license ASAP in a state like Pennsylvania or Indiana, where it's a quick and relatively inexpensive. This way you can sit for your boards and get board certified. What you can do to save time is start the Texas licensing process after you complete your residency. This is because you have a large list of documentation that needs to be submitted and reviewed by a screener. It's a checklist that you can upload everything to. This can be a long process to get everything uploaded/sent and approved. You can get everything approved and checked off except your board certification. But this way once you do get board certified you've already taken care of everything else. The one catch is that once you start an Texas app, it has to be completed within ONE YEAR. If not then you have to pay for a whole new application ($800). Once everything has been screened and approved the app moves into a review process. That takes more time (2-6 weeks usually). Then once approved it has to be approved by the committee which meets every 3 weeks. So that's it in a nutshell. Hope this helps. It was a frustrating and long process but it's a big relief once you're done. Best of luck.

Thank you! Luckily i followed all of the above steps :) But with regards to your first point- is this an "official" thing said somewhere or just from your experience ( which i also respect)? I am asking because that list says no schools in antigua, however my senior has obtained a texas license and she went to AUA ( in antigua). Also, why would TMB allow non 'substantial equivalent schools' even apply if they are not going to give a texas license ( and also refund fees if license isnt approved?--- this is per texas medical board)? I of course called them and they werent able to give me an answer either way ( and the licensure people do not communicate over phone so im waiting for their reply). Thank you again for replying!

Im updating this incase anyone else is stuck in a similar predicament.
After speaking with a few MDs who are currently working in TX and were in the same boat- pass your boards, obtain a medical license in another state and then APPLY for your TX medical license. Not sure if this will work for me or not, but its all i know so far.
I'll update once i've completed this process myself. Thank you so to those who took the time to read and had enough info to reply.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! Luckily i followed all of the above steps :) But with regards to your first point- is this an "official" thing said somewhere or just from your experience ( which i also respect)? I am asking because that list says no schools in antigua, however my senior has obtained a texas license and she went to AUA ( in antigua). Also, why would TMB allow non 'substantial equivalent schools' even apply if they are not going to give a texas license ( and also refund fees if license isnt approved?--- this is per texas medical board)? I of course called them and they werent able to give me an answer either way ( and the licensure people do not communicate over phone so im waiting for their reply). Thank you again for replying!

I was incorrect on my first statement. The checklist has a list of equivalent schools that you can be from to get licensed before you're board certified. AUA is not one of them, but as long as you get board certified then the list doesn't matter. Best of luck.

After speaking with a few MDs who are currently working in TX and were in the same boat- pass your boards, obtain a medical license in another state and then APPLY for your TX medical license. Not sure if this will work for me or not, but its all i know so far.
I'll update once i've completed this process myself. Thank you so to those who took the time to read and had enough info to reply.
Is this sound advice for someone who will graduate from residency soon and plans to work in TX as the first state? Assuming they have enough time and can wait until licensed in TX? I thought any license in a state can potentially add more time in verification since TX board may need to check on any records in the other state.

Is this sound advice for someone who will graduate from residency soon and plans to work in TX as the first state? Assuming they have enough time and can wait until licensed in TX? I thought any license in a state can potentially add more time in verification since TX board may need to check on any records in the other state.

There's no way around having a license in another state first because in this situation one needs to be board certified first before applying for a Texas license. You need a license before you become board certified. Another point, when getting a license in another state and then practicing in another, I suggest keeping current on the previous license because it's one less question you have to answer about on license and privileges applications.

There's no way around having a license in another state first because in this situation one needs to be board certified first before applying for a Texas license. You need a license before you become board certified. Another point, when getting a license in another state and then practicing in another, I suggest keeping current on the previous license because it's one less question you have to answer about on license and privileges applications.
Ah! Get it now.. Didn't know that TX required one to be board certified first for TX license. No way around that for sure. Thanks for the tip on keeping the license current when applying for second state.

Ah! Get it now.. Didn't know that TX required one to be board certified first for TX license. No way around that for sure. Thanks for the tip on keeping the license current when applying for second state.
It doesn't by default, but OP didn't go to an "acceptable" school. It's *either* be board certified or go to a school on their list (which includes every school in the US).

It doesn't by default, but OP didn't go to an "acceptable" school. It's *either* be board certified or go to a school on their list (which includes every school in the US).
Thank you for clarifying it. I also spoke to a recruiter and confirmed that TX doesn't require prior license in other states so anyone who is fresh out of residency can apply. That particular hospitalist group has placed candidates right out of residency and they didn't have one year of experience or prior medical license.

What threw me off was the requirements list at their website http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/idl/D0468A6F-21DE-3337-D563-C9D4F20F0506

As per the instructions each of the sections needs to have a check mark and I assumed that this section implies a mandatory requirement of one year's prior experience. Maybe it's there for anyone who does have experience and it may play a role in evaluation by the board:

"
Demonstration of Current Competence

Active Practice of Medicine have practiced medicine full-time (at least 20 hours per week for 40 weeks) for one of the two years preceding the date of application
"

I didn't know about the "acceptable" school exception. In my case, my overseas med. school is on the list : http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/idl/A9AFA127-082F-6C6D-1421-B5BEDB9C3E02

Last edited:
Thank you for clarifying it. I also spoke to a recruiter and confirmed that TX doesn't require prior license in other states so anyone who is fresh out of residency can apply. That particular hospitalist group has placed candidates right out of residency and they didn't have one year of experience or prior medical license.

I didn't know about the "acceptable" school exception. In my case, my overseas med. school is on the list : http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/idl/A9AFA127-082F-6C6D-1421-B5BEDB9C3E02

Yeah this applies if you are an IMG who did clerkships in the US. If those clerkships were not done at a place that had a residency or fellowship in that specialty (ie-IM clerkship needs IM residency, cardiology elective needs a cardiology fellowship present) then you have to be board certified before getting a TX medical license. If your school is on the list and all done overseas then this doesn't apply.

Yeah this applies if you are an IMG who did clerkships in the US. If those clerkships were not done at a place that had a residency or fellowship in that specialty (ie-IM clerkship needs IM residency, cardiology elective needs a cardiology fellowship present) then you have to be board certified before getting a TX medical license. If your school is on the list and all done overseas then this doesn't apply.
Got it. In my case no clerkships done at all in US and the med. school is on the list. So I'm in the clear. The only stumbling block is how long it takes and it appears to take 6 -9 months based on input from online sources and conversations with acquaintances in the field.

Got it. In my case no clerkships done at all in US and the med. school is on the list. So I'm in the clear. The only stumbling block is how long it takes and it appears to take 6 -9 months based on input from online sources and conversations with acquaintances in the field.

It does take a while, but I was able to do it in three months. Once you pay and start and application, you have one year to finish it. I would suggest starting the application process asap, uploading all the relevant documents even if you are waiting on a couple things, so that they have a chance to be reviewed and any issues with things you assumed were fine are raised and you aren't stuck fixing things and prolonging the process.

It does take a while, but I was able to do it in three months. Once you pay and start and application, you have one year to finish it. I would suggest starting the application process asap, uploading all the relevant documents even if you are waiting on a couple things, so that they have a chance to be reviewed and any issues with things you assumed were fine are raised and you aren't stuck fixing things and prolonging the process.
That's good to know. I'm an IMG so medical school is overseas. I wonder if a big part of the delay is from schools verifying graduation etc. Any special circumstances in your case or was your med school in the US.. Anything special you did to get it in three months or you got lucky? ;-)

That's good to know. I'm an IMG so medical school is overseas. I wonder if a big part of the delay is from schools verifying graduation etc. Any special circumstances in your case or was your med school in the US.. Anything special you did to get it in three months or you got lucky? ;-)

I just stayed on top of it and quickly got back to them with any needed updates. Yes the school verification can take a while I imagine for overseas....that why I say to get things started ASAP even if you're not completely ready. You have a year to complete the app.

I freaked out a little while listening to a talk by Memorial Hermann hospitalists for UT Houston IM residents, it's from 2016 and they were say that it can take pretty much 9 months. I'm not sure if I can post the video link.

Have things changed for the better now that TX board accepts FCVS and UA from FSMB? I can wait for 6 months probably but not 9. Maybe need to apply for NY license as a backup that apparently takes 2 weeks or something crazy fast like that.

Does anyone know how far back I need to account for time since medical school? The instructions is little bit confusion on the TMB (Texas Medical Board) website. I used FSMB - UA (Uniform Application) to prepopulate the date into application for Texas license. It brought data for only 5 years back from today.

In filling up FSMB - UA, I entered ALL time since graduation from med. school so not sure if it brought over only last five years because that's what TMB requires or it could be a software glitch and I should manually enter dates all the way back from today to end of the med. school graduation.

Thoughts?

Does anyone know how far back I need to account for time since medical school? The instructions is little bit confusion on the TMB (Texas Medical Board) website. I used FSMB - UA (Uniform Application) to prepopulate the date into application for Texas license. It brought data for only 5 years back from today.

In filling up FSMB - UA, I entered ALL time since graduation from med. school so not sure if it brought over only last five years because that's what TMB requires or it could be a software glitch and I should manually enter dates all the way back from today to end of the med. school graduation.

Thoughts?
Answering my own questions, checked with TMB (Texas Medical Board) on the phone. The online application for medical license required 5 years from the date of application. Although the FSMB or FCVS profile requires to account for all duration since medical school till the time of application, the Texas online application doesn't.

When I spoke to FSMB customer service, they were not sure what's going on and advised me to wait until the data flows completely/properly. I think the FSMB-TMB technical interface intelligently brought over just the right entries based on the T-5 years requirement from TMB! Hope it'd help someone else!

FSMB saga continues...

FSMB requested medical education verification from my overseas medical school who doesn't understand simple English (joking but they are *****S!!! over there). They sent back the "Verification of Medical Education" form but apparently omitted dates on the verification form and apparently didn't submit certified copies of diploma and transcripts. Now FSMB is going to send them one final request but I'm pretty sure they are simply not competent/willing to do what's asked.

The fallback as suggested by FSMB is for me to send the copies of transcripts which I have and hopefully that would be the end of it. I could possibly follow up with my overseas medical school to send the proper documents down the line to FSMB but not sure if that's worth it..

The only concern I have is if in future some other state's medical board is going to question FSMB on the med. school verification since it wouldn't have been "primary source verified" because it came from the the applicant/medical graduate of the school as opposed to from the med. school ..arrghh!!!

PS: I don't think it's entirely FSMB's fault ..it's my med school *****S!!

This is an interesting topic. Thanks to everyone who has offered their personal experiences and advice. I was wondering what an ideal timeline is for an IMG who wishes to practice in a Texas and is completing his residency: 1) apply for licensing in an “easy” state such as Indiana during your 3rd year. 2) get board certified 3) apply for Texas license

during which month of the 3rd year of family medicine residency can one apply for board certification? So if I’m guessing correctly a Person wouldn’t be board certified until he finishes residency? Then the soonest he can obtain licensure in Texas would be approximately 3-4 months after graduation from residency?

I am in similar boat, I appreciate all the inputs by everyone. I am an FMG doing my residency in NY currently, in my final year. Always wanted to shift to Texas, until now though, as the license application appears a challenge. My med college from home country is not in their list of substantially equivalent colleges because its relatively new, I do not know of any body from my college who has applied to Texas yet and that could be the reason why it hasnt made its way to the list. I have read TMB's requirements for some body like me, and we have to go through the extra path of doing a set of 7 forms called Z forms. I might have read them 5 times now, the more I read them, the more I feel low and get intense headaches, because knowing my college, they will not be able to do it. Not that they are not capable of doing it, they are just..... a little lazy if I may put it politely. They want me to do the forms and send it over to them. Which is fair in a way, when I can not make sense of those forms, I doubt if my college will be able to make sense of it :))

Would like to know inputs from people, who had to go that route, as to how did they work about the forms and if there is a way around it apart from getting board certified and working else where temporarily.

Thank you!

Does anyone know if when applying for texas medical license, my other state licenses have to send some kind of verification form?

It is not on the LIST system as required, which I'm surprised of as I thought this was the norm across states. I just want to get ahead of it, don't want them to ask me in 3 months. Illinois will take 3 to 4 months to mail the form to Texas.

Hi everyone, thank you for sharing your experiencies. Can anybody tell me how can I fulfill the requirement of clerkships in the US? I did medschool in a school that appears in the list, so none of my clerkships were in the US? What does this requirement exactly imply?

Im a DO about to graduate and start my FM residency in Houston. Do I have to wait to get Family medicine board certified before I can apply for med school license?

Im a DO about to graduate and start my FM residency in Houston. Do I have to wait to get Family medicine board certified before I can apply for med school license?
No. You went to school in the United States.

That said, you do not need a permanent license to start residency and should not be applying for anything except what your program asks you to.

No. You went to school in the United States.

That said, you do not need a permanent license to start residency and should not be applying for anything except what your program asks you to.

thanks for replying! That’s exactly what I have been doing, what my school sent me! I saw this and just was wondering! Thanks

This thread applies only to people who went to school outside of the US at a school not on TX pre-approved list.

So it does not apply to US MD/DO? Idk if I did all my rotations at an ACGME residency place, so wasn't sure if that was an issue.

This thread applies only to people who went to school outside of the US at a school not on TX pre-approved list.
Hey there, I am looking to apply for a full Texas medical license as well. I was not born in the US and my medical school(where I did my clerkships) is on the "substantially equivalent list"(in Europe). As per this conversation, I should be in the clear but I could not find the point where this is explained in their website or forms (form J). I actually looked into the details of the texas administrative code but could not find a proper answer.
Would be grateful for some guidance :)

Hey there, I am looking to apply for a full Texas medical license as well. I was not born in the US and my medical school(where I did my clerkships) is on the "substantially equivalent list"(in Europe). As per this conversation, I should be in the clear but I could not find the point where this is explained in their website or forms (form J). I actually looked into the details of the texas administrative code but could not find a proper answer.
Would be grateful for some guidance :)

There is a longer explanation somewhere but it is number 1 in the eligibility checklist.

44FF2988-FD21-405F-85E0-BC036B5E874D.png

There is a longer explanation somewhere but it is number 1 in the eligibility checklist.

View attachment 302362
thank you. That checklist is actually my main issue. I called the texas medical board and they confirmed there should be a checkmark in each numbered section as specified at the very beginning of the document.
in section 1 I do check the last but one "school is in our substantial equivalence list".
in section 2 nothing really applies to me, therefore, I would not be able to check a mark in that section.
At the end of that eligibility checklist, they mention you "may not be eligible" if you don't have a checkmark in one of the numbered sections. this is why I am triple-checking

thank you. That checklist is actually my main issue. I called the texas medical board and they confirmed there should be a checkmark in each numbered section as specified at the very beginning of the document.
in section 1 I do check the last but one "school is in our substantial equivalence list".
in section 2 nothing really applies to me, therefore, I would not be able to check a mark in that section.
At the end of that eligibility checklist, they mention you "may not be eligible" if you don't have a checkmark in one of the numbered sections. this is why I am triple-checking
The second one only applies to foreign grads who did clinical rotations as a med student in the US. If you didn't, it doesn't apply to you and yours fine.

I am an IMG who went to one of the Caribbean schools on the approved list. Does anyone know if you can still get the Texas license if two of my electives (neurology and radiology) were not done at a hospital that had a Neuro or Radiology residency? All my Core rotations and other electives (cardio, pulmonology, GI) were done at places that had residency and fellowship. I'm just worried about those two.

I am an IMG who went to one of the Caribbean schools on the approved list. Does anyone know if you can still get the Texas license if two of my electives (neurology and radiology) were not done at a hospital that had a Neuro or Radiology residency? All my Core rotations and other electives (cardio, pulmonology, GI) were done at places that had residency and fellowship. I'm just worried about those two.
Only if you redo the rotations or become board certified in your specialty....that is for a full license...training may be different.

Bump.

I am an IMG and plan on finishing an interventional cardiology fellowship in June of 2023. Hopefully, I can come back to TX to practice.

I applied for a TX license 3 weeks ago. My medical school isn't on the list provided by TMB but I am board certified in internal medicine.

For the people who are (or were) in a similar situation, how did you get forms Z and N removed from the list of required documents? It seems no one is going to review my application unless it's complete and as of now, forms Z and N are still under the required documents for me to submit. TMB hasn't received my FCVS application as of now and I still have to take the jurisprudence exam.

I don't understand why this process needs to be cumbersome.

Would appreciate input.

Hi, please provide an update.

Hey guys, I am having the same problem as other people here.

So currently I am doing my residency in Texas, and my school is NOT on the list. I am aware that I have two options:

- Wait until I graduate, get another state license, take the boards and bypass the requirements. This is fine except I was planning on living in Texas, so I would have 6-8 months to get my license without being able to work, except locums.
- Get my school in the list. This requires filling the Z forms. i started filling them, but I honestly have very little hope that this will work. The forms are insane and made to not work I guess.

So my question is: was anyone here able to get the Z forms accepted? Did anyone try that route?

Was anyone able to get their Texas Medical license using the Z forms? without getting board certified first ? Thank you!

Hey guys, I am having the same problem as other people here.

So currently I am doing my residency in Texas, and my school is NOT on the list. I am aware that I have two options:

- Wait until I graduate, get another state license, take the boards and bypass the requirements. This is fine except I was planning on living in Texas, so I would have 6-8 months to get my license without being able to work, except locums.
- Get my school in the list. This requires filling the Z forms. i started filling them, but I honestly have very little hope that this will work. The forms are insane and made to not work I guess.

So my question is: was anyone here able to get the Z forms accepted? Did anyone try that route?
Did you have to actually wait to get license in another state , can’t you apply in year 3 to some states with a 2 year requirement for IMGs??

Could you please update?

I am starting residency in Texas this July. My school is not on the list.

My plan was to apply to another state after completing two years of training. Then give boards

Did you have to actually wait to get license in another state , can’t you apply in year 3 to some states with a 2 year requirement for IMGs??

Could you please update?

I am starting residency in Texas this July. My school is not on the list.

My plan was to apply to another state after completing two years of training. Then give boards

You’re still going to need to finish residency before you can take your boards.