TEXAS Med Schools Entering Class 2004 Applicant Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's fine, it threw me for a loop. I thought they might have been trying to cram in a lot more interviews since they are nearing the end. Is Baylor still your overall pick?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Giving My .02
That's fine, it threw me for a loop. I thought they might have been trying to cram in a lot more interviews since they are nearing the end. Is Baylor still your overall pick?

Of course it is, riiiiight Spumoni???? :laugh:

Brrrr!!! It's cold in Houston? :eek:

T

So yeah, on my trip to Houston I got to meet some cool SDNers:

EvoDevo let me stay at his place (thanks, again!) and he is a really great guy. We stayed up late playing Halo. I'd never played before, and despite my magnificent suckitude, he was very encouraging and helpful. :)

I also met medman at the interview itself. I was just chatting with some other interviewees and mentioned I'm a Sooner fan. He quickly deduced who I was and asked if I was soonerpillow. That's always fun to have people recognize you from SDN. I feel sorta famous! But yeah, he's a real cool guy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by soonerpillow
So yeah, on my trip to Houston I got to meet some cool SDNers:

EvoDevo let me stay at his place (thanks, again!) and he is a really great guy. We stayed up late playing Halo. I'd never played before, and despite my magnificent suckitude, he was very encouraging and helpful. :)

I also met medman at the interview itself. I was just chatting with some other interviewees and mentioned I'm a Sooner fan. He quickly deduced who I was and asked if I was soonerpillow. That's always fun to have people recognize you from SDN. I feel sorta famous! But yeah, he's a real cool guy.

You met evodevo? I am sooooo jealous. *sigh*

How did peoples San antonio interviews go?

Roja-

What can you say are the best things about UT-San Antonio, what was it about the school that made you go? I really liked it when I went and am just wondering, thanks!

jared

Originally posted by roja You met evodevo? I am sooooo jealous. *sigh*
You make me blush, roja. :)

Hmmm, perhaps a trip to NYC is in my future.....;) A woman with your deadly combo of wit, intelligence, and WOWZA!! looks is irresistible
zakochany.gif

Originally posted by TheresaW
Of course it is, riiiiight Spumoni???? :laugh:

Brrrr!!! It's cold in Houston? :eek:

T

of course...to learn alongside the cultured, famous lady t...an opportunity that can't be beat. :D ;)

evo and roja - you two better keep your canoodling to the lounge...this is a g-rated thread! :p ;)

well...in all seriousness i'm jealous too. the houston crowd rocks. something in that fresh h-town air? :)

and btw, gleevec....are you alive out there? hope the 80 pages of paper-writing went okay...?

It's not the air, but the massive amount of water that comes down outta the sky or something....;)

Canoodling? Who's canoodling??

And BTW, check your PM box, Spu

Originally posted by EvoDevo
You make me blush, roja. :)

Hmmm, perhaps a trip to NYC is in my future.....;) A woman with your deadly combo of wit, intelligence, and WOWZA!! looks is irresistible
zakochany.gif

:oops: Guyyysss! My maidenly sense of propriety is blushing!!! :laugh:

Evo, I'm going to have high expectations of you when we meet at Star pizza this Friday. I mean, all these compliments and "Evo is so great!" ;)

Spumoni, I don't know about cultured or famous, but I'll take the lady part!

Lady T

Evo, I'm going to have high expectations of you when we meet at Star pizza this Friday. I mean, all these compliments and "Evo is so great!" ;)
Good Lord, the pressure!!
Yahoo_11.gif

Does this mean that I have to refrain from drinking??
drink.gif
**shameless excuse to use this smiley** ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Right. Sorry. Forgot about that. Silly EvoDevo.

Thanks for the positive doggie comments. Mucho appreciated. :D

Good Lord, the pressure!!
Yahoo_11.gif

Does this mean that I have to refrain from drinking??
drink.gif
**shameless excuse to use this smiley** ;)

Hey, didn't I say I'd buy you a drink? For Heaven's sake let's not equate high expectations with lack of alcohol! :eek: Hope we have a crowd!

Lady T

I'll be meeting ya'll at Gingerman. What time do you think everyone will be there?

Can't wait to meet ya'll!

Evo, you have the BEST smilies ever!

:love:

evodevo I made you blush? Awww, how cute. *sigh* the innocence. ;)

spumoni canoodiling? this is G rated.... or perhaps my life has become so sordid that I don't know what g is. hmmm. *g*

Jherr What did I love about UTHSCSA? Well, in retrospect, a million things. Why I inded up choosing it first? Well, I know this doesn't help a ton but really it was a gut instinct. I wanted a school that was clinically very strong and the ACES course does that. I also liked the students a lot when I interviewed. They were so relaxed and had such different interests.

I was a nontraditional with a liberal arts background and did want the 'live-breath-die' medical school place.

Dr.Jones was amazing. so, it was kind of a gut thing.

In retrospect, it was the best decision I made. The faculty is amazing. The clinical skills you learn there are beyond amazing. Research is abundunt if you want it. The students are great and san antonio is a great town to go to medical school in.

Feel free to PM if you have specific questions.

Originally posted by spumoni620
congrats on the good interview day, sooner :D

just got back from utsw. overall a good interview experience. i thought parkland was really impressive. AND, among 100 interviewees, i bumped into a fellow sdn'er: lilstina. she's very sweet :clap: good luck to you!

Whew, got back from UTSW today... long drive! Thanks spumoni :D I think she's right though... I read that they have interview around 60 people each time but I thought it seemed like closer to 100 as well. I'm glad we got to meet... in the ladies room of all places, haha! She is a very cool girl and too bad Baylor probably has her heart over UTSW... but I can't blame you! ;) Now if only they would show me some love...

roja: my UTHSCSA interview day went super well... the school was really awesome and all the students were so nice and seemed very happy and satisfied. I can see why you love it so much! :)

Originally posted by spumoni620
of course...to learn alongside the cultured, famous lady t...an opportunity that can't be beat. :D ;)

evo and roja - you two better keep your canoodling to the lounge...this is a g-rated thread! :p ;)

well...in all seriousness i'm jealous too. the houston crowd rocks. something in that fresh h-town air? :)

and btw, gleevec....are you alive out there? hope the 80 pages of paper-writing went okay...?

Im alive, just got back from chilling at UT-Austin. How's everything going with yall? Ive been away for a bit. Cant wait for the 19th!

If Evo and Roja are this open on the forums, I can only imagine the flurry of PMs going between the two. ;)

Originally posted by Gleevec
If Evo and Roja are this open on the forums, I can only imagine the flurry of PMs going between the two. ;)
if it hasn't already gone to IMs ;)

I wonder when the first SDN marriage will occur.....

Originally posted by seaworthc
if it hasn't already gone to IMs ;)

I wonder when the first SDN marriage will occur.....

nah... as we say in Texas.. just some big 'ol flirtin'.. ;)

Originally posted by cpw
nah... as we say in Texas.. just some big 'ol flirtin'.. ;)
AHHHH!!!!!!! Stop STALKING ME!!!!

What don't you understand about NO MEANING NO!!!!!!

what's wrong with stalkers?

lilstina Yup, I loved it. I don't have a single regret (well, with regards to where I went to med school. *g*) i intend to come back and teach there in a few years. :)

gleevec Actually, my PM box is empty and stays that way most days... I havent been graced with a PM from evo. ;)

Originally posted by BUmedic
what's wrong with stalkers?
have you ever had one?

believe me, it is funny for about 2 hrs and then it gets real old and annoying to deal with on a regular basis.

Um. Yeah.

I'm not sure when this thread veered in to scary and disturbing land, but look, here we are.

In better news, I got an A in my stupid, stupid physiology class! I was so worried that I was going to fail. I have no earthly idea how I pulled up to an A. Hooray hooray hooray!

so just give them what they want, and they will leave you alone afterwards........alot of alcohol beforehand, and you won't remember a thing.....
Justin, that's not funny at all. Please. If joking, then indicate as such....but since many have had weird experiences with stalkers, that doesn't come off very well at all. Thanks, the management.

In even better, better news (Hi Holly! :p) I just had another great research project drop into my lap. some work I did a year ago paid off this weekend! Yay! :clap:

I want cpw to stalk me...... :D

trust me.. I've been stalked in real life.. I would NEVER do that to someone. :eek: it was very very terrifying...

Originally posted by cpw
trust me.. I've been stalked in real life.. I would NEVER do that to someone. :eek: it was very very terrifying...
So have I. :( I was just kidding, of course......

How'd your peds final go???? Huh??? :) I'll bet you kicked butt!!

Four days till cancun and counting, eh? :)

Originally posted by HollyJ
Um. Yeah.

I'm not sure when this thread veered in to scary and disturbing land, but look, here we are.

In better news, I got an A in my stupid, stupid physiology class! I was so worried that I was going to fail. I have no earthly idea how I pulled up to an A. Hooray hooray hooray!

I'm with you Holly, this is getting weird. :(

Congrats on the Physiology class!!! Oh yeah, and "Tag, you're it!" Now your PM box is full! :laugh:

Evo, congrats on the research project!

Theresa

OK, I know I'm obssessing over this, but I have a question for all of you that have been accepted to Baylor. How, exactly, were you reached? I mean, I know that it was by phone (with the exection of Theresa), but was it your home phone, your work phone, both? Did any of you just get a message on your voicemail?

Yes, I'm thinking about this way too much, but I can't help it!

I just finished college! I graduate Saturday!

Originally posted by ms. a
OK, I know I'm obssessing over this, but I have a question for all of you that have been accepted to Baylor. How, exactly, were you reached? I mean, I know that it was by phone (with the exection of Theresa), but was it your home phone, your work phone, both? Did any of you just get a message on your voicemail?

Yes, I'm thinking about this way too much, but I can't help it!

I got a message on my cell phone voice mail. I hope you hear soon! I think that I may have met you at Galveston and not known it -- if so, you are an awesome candidate and I'm sure that you have nothing to worry about. :)

Congrats on the Physiology class!!! Oh yeah, and "Tag, you're it!" Now your PM box is full!

Eek! All clear now, sister. Thanks for the congrats -- I was sweating it.

Congratulations, BUMedic.

BUmedic Congrats!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

I just finished college! I graduate Saturday!
Congratulations, sir!!! Enjoy your special day...and take lots of pictures. :)

:clap:

whoa, i got swamped by work today...i missed out on 3 pages of this thread! anyway, i'm copying roja's format here since i'm so behind on this thread...

Gleevec - so, are you telling us you *actually* have a life besides SDN? that you're not glued to this screen for 5 hours a day, aimlessly clicking "refresh", waiting for the Next Big Post? :( traitor. ;)

lilstina - you're too nice. :) i'm sure you will be hearing from baylor very soon, with some great news....like theresa said, this thread is good luck! :clap:

evo - a special CONGRATS to the King of Smileys and all around Mr. Nice-Guy. I'm excited for you and hope you make some exciting discoveries! ok, let's see if i can dig up some smileys around here....
biggrinyoyoA.gif

ms. a: i got a phone call from baylor. but i know the voice-mail thing is common too, and theresa got a letter, so who knows? check all three, and best of luck!

y'all have fun on the 19th! hmm...an sdn marriage...that would be interesting...;)

hi,
i noticed somebody else had a posting about this earlier but nobody responded...i have interviewed at all the TX schools but one and now i'm having a hard time deciding how to rank the schools. what are the factors you all are taking into accn't when deciding how to rank (other than location)? is it true that galveston has the most "liberal" curriculum of all the TX med schools?
thanks!

i honestly believe this, unless someone else has a different opinion:

rank truly based on how much you enjoyed the school and how well you think you "fit" there. don't try to second-guess the match system, how well your interview went, etc. etc. this is the advice they gave us on sat at ut southwestern, and i tend to agree. :)

in ranking the tx schools, i considered the friendliness/happiness of the students, the quality of the curriculum, clinical opportunities, match lists, location, and general "feel" of the school. luckily all of them are pretty reasonable in terms of tuition so i could really weigh the factors that meant the most to me.

as for utmb: i don't know about liberal, but they do rely a lot on the pbl-style of learning. i think a couple of years ago they were very heavily pbl-oriented and now are mixing up a little more of the traditional curriculum learning style to improve scores/student feedback.

I agree with Spumoni. Rank them in order of where you think that you will be happy and successful. Of the UT schools, I would say that Galveston has the most innovative curriculum, which was sort of a problem for a while. Now, though, most of the students are pretty happy with it, and their board pass rates are way up -- higher than a couple of the other UTs, who shall remain nameless so as not to start a flame war. :)

Hey Spumoni, I'm so disappointed that you won't be at the Houston get-together. Have you decided where you're headed next year?

How'd your peds final go???? Huh??? :) I'll bet you kicked butt!!

Four days till cancun and counting, eh? :)

peds final was freakin' hard!! but, it's over now... now I'm trying to get together all the errands I have to run and bills I have to get paid before I leave for cancun. But, I thoroughly enjoyed sleeping in today and not feeling guilty for not getting up earlier to study.

In unrelated news, Ive decided to leave SDN after this week after realizing how much time I spent here. If ya need to contact me, Ill check my pms everyone once in a while. Id like to get some emails/AIM screennames or whatnot, so if you want to volunteer those please pm me. Thanks!

Originally posted by Gleevec
In unrelated news, Ive decided to leave SDN after this week after realizing how much time I spent here. If ya need to contact me, Ill check my pms everyone once in a while. Id like to get some emails/AIM screennames or whatnot, so if you want to volunteer those please pm me. Thanks!

:( :(

I PM'ed

Theresa

:( :(

I PM'ed

Theresa

Thanks! Dont worry you will be seeing me way too often over the next 4 years anyway. ;)

I'm officially graduated too (barring that I still need to pay a parking ticket:D)!

Now its time to drink and be merry!!! Ya'll have fun this friday and eat some pizza for me (I prefer proscutti ham and mushrooms on mine, thanks ;) )! Sorry I can't make it, I won't be in H-town till Saturday.

-Jberg

Oh, Gleevec, I'm sorry that you're taking off. I understand what a time suck this place can be, though.

Take good care -- see you in the fall!

Originally posted by HollyJ
Oh, Gleevec, I'm sorry that you're taking off. I understand what a time suck this place can be, though.

Take good care -- see you in the fall!

Yup! Cya in a couple months ;)