TEXAS Med Schools Entering Class 2004 Applicant Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by lilstina
Hey Evo, do you work at MD Anderson?

And Mike... you'd know who she is if I said her name!

whats her name? you can pm it to me

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,
I was just wondering who else on the board is a reapplicant from last year. If so, what did you do to improve your application this year. Where did you interview last year, and where have you interviewed this year?

23N

interviews: UTSA, TCOM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
28M
I also moved to Mexico this year to learn Spanish.

interviews: UTH, UTSA, TCOM, Tech

Wow, Tuesday, that's quite an improvement. Way to go!:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
wow.. congratulation all !

My MCAT score 3 yrs ago was 29N. Just got an acceptance letter from Case Western School of Dentritry. Still waiting for news from Texas dental schools. I figured out that medicine was not for me. Hope to see your folks around medical center in Houston.

Originally posted by tuesday
Hey Guys,
I was just wondering who else on the board is a reapplicant from last year. If so, what did you do to improve your application this year. Where did you interview last year, and where have you interviewed this year?

23N

interviews: UTSA, TCOM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
28M
I also moved to Mexico this year to learn Spanish.

interviews: UTH, UTSA, TCOM, Tech
Last year I had a 22L with a 3.0 overall (3.82 is my "new gpa" since deciding to be a physician and earning a second BS, yes two BS degrees!) And interviewed at UTMB and UTHSCSA where I was waitlisted until early July. I scrambled to retake the MCAT and its now a 26M. Late applicant with one interview to san antonio so far.

Theresa, your PM box is full!

Last final over! whoopee! :D :D :clap: i'm officially done with all my prereq classes for med school. what a relief. :D now it's just work and play until med school next year.

Also got UT Southwestern on Saturday. I'm excited...it's been a good while since i've interviewed anywhere - hope i still remember all the rules! :laugh: at least this one won't require flying or driving for half a day. i'm excited, but don't know how much i'll like it compared to baylor...

btw, did anyone go to the amwa luncheon after the interview? i'm a little worried about meeting students esp since it's probably the week before holidays/finals. oh well.

have a happy holiday, everyone! :D

Congrats on the end of finals and the upcoming interview, Spumoni!!!

Woooo-hooooo for you!

Evo

Hey Spumoni,

I'll see you Saturday at UTSW :)

I got the invite for the AMWA reception in my mailbox as well... I didn't know the interview day ended at 2:15!

The meeting place for UTSW is actually UNDER the main quad that they tell you to go to ie there is a stairwell downwards that leads to where you will meet for the interview day.

I got a bit lost until I recognized that, so thought I would try and save others trouble just in case their fantastic girlfriends or boyfriends weren't able to drive you around and get you there early. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Spumoni!

Spumoni and lilstina, the AMWA meeting was just a couple of representatives in a room with a bunch of chairs set up in a circle. They talked a little bit about the org. and what they liked about UTSW and then let interviewees ask questions. Took about 15-20 minutes, I'd say.

Good luck with the interviews! They have centralized locations for the interviews, so no wandering all over the campus looking for someone's office. The interviews are also scheduled for 20-25 minutes. Short and sweet!

Theresa

Yesterday I met Lane and lilstina in San Antonio and it was a pleasure meeting both of y'all. Good luck in your travels guys over the next few weeks and hope you liked your private tour of the gross lab! No fair! JK:p

Both of my interviews were fairly intense...I was quite suprised and a little taken off guard. But who knows?!

FYI--I received an invite yesterday on my voicemail from TCOM inviting me to either of the last interview dates next week which are on Tuesday and Friday 19 December. I'll be in the stockyards on Friday...anyone else gonna be there???

Dr. Parker from SWestern e-mailed me and said I wasnt outta the runnin just yet...and they will be interviewing until Mid-January, so I (and others) might still have a shot at DALLAS.

Hang in there...all. Just 54 more days!!!

STAC Its true, you never know! My one and only 'hard/intense' interview was at San Antonio. And that's where I went. (the woman grilled me....she incidentally doesn't interview anymore....)

I am sure you did great!! I am *homesick* for Texas... I can't believe I said that!

~~~~Good luck~~~~~~ for SW. though San antonio kicks waaaaaaaay more. *g*

Thank you for all of your help with us pre-meds, Roja! Thanks!!!

I had Dr. Aust and Dr. Pierce for interviewers yesterday. I am REALLY looking forward to the TCOM interview now...I feel like it kinda validates me as an applicant. It is one thing to get an interview at the place you work and have friends there, but I don't know anyone at TCOM and so it feels extra special good!!!

The weather here is gorgeous!!! It has been this way for at least a week now. Blue, blue skies...no clouds ~75 degrees outside!!! It's golfing, hiking, biking, camping, volleyball ect.... weather! Beautiful...

And as God intended when he made TEXAS...I will be vacationing in Colorado next week...I am intentionally going to be cold and play in the snow. Can't wait to make snow angles and have snow ball fights!

ok, I'm pissed. metro is up and running and now and NOW Fannin in Houston IS packed.

AND FYI to all you apartment hunters the free Metro shuttles will no longer be free. the lanesborough people were having a hernia (not sure why since the metro goes past there)

Originally posted by seaworthc
ok, I'm pissed. metro is up and running and now and NOW Fannin in Houston IS packed.

AND FYI to all you apartment hunters the free Metro shuttles will no longer be free. the lanesborough people were having a hernia (not sure why since the metro goes past there)

WHAT!?!?!!

Ughhhh no one told me the free metro shuttles were gonna be shut off. So you have to ride the light rail into town now (no alternative aside from walking/driving/biking?)

Hmm, what is the pricing for the light rail? I read online for the yearly pass its like $1.25 a day for unlimited rides or something like that?

How is the rail looking? Is it working out OK, I wont be back in h-town until monday, but I look forward to seeing if it is actually useful.

Mayor Lee Brown's toy train. Merry christmas everyone, it brings the hookers in to the med center and all those busy people down town out to BFE. It's only a matter of time untill a HFD pumper plows into one of those damn things. I can't believe they actually built even though it was voted down. Scandalous!

I'm waiting to see how fast love-fest turns into the b!tch-fest. ;)

(The light-rail love-fest, that is! :))

Hey STAC, I'll be in Colorado visiting my brother the week between Christmas and New Year's! A little snow to help me appreciate the Texas sun. :D

For those who have been trying to PM me, sorry about the mailbox trouble. :oops: I hope I've got it fixed now!

Theresa

Go to this thread and rank your schools for a prelimb to help those of us that did not interview at every school in the world.:D

Texas Match Poll

STAC You are more than welcome, though I don't know how much help it is. :) I am not familiar with either of those individuals. What kind of questions did they ask you? Was anyone hostile?

I don't want to hear about the weather. I had to manage to get to work each night through all the snow! And from what I hear the skiing on the East Coast is nothing compared to west coast.

And I miss Tomatilla's. And Naples Pizza... *sigh*

Pierce is a pediatrician. He can be kind of gruff but he's really a big teddy bear. I like him alot. He really cares about pediatrics and being a good doctor.

Originally posted by Megalofyia
Pierce is a pediatrician. He can be kind of gruff but he's really a big teddy bear. I like him alot. He really cares about pediatrics and being a good doctor.

Hmmm, doesn't ring a bell. But I only did my 6 weeks in peds and then went running screaming to never show again. I did love the attendings I worked with...

Originally posted by Gleevec
WHAT!?!?!!

Ughhhh no one told me the free metro shuttles were gonna be shut off. So you have to ride the light rail into town now (no alternative aside from walking/driving/biking?)

Hmm, what is the pricing for the light rail? I read online for the yearly pass its like $1.25 a day for unlimited rides or something like that?

How is the rail looking? Is it working out OK, I wont be back in h-town until monday, but I look forward to seeing if it is actually useful.
Yeah, now I'M PISSED too. Now there is no more free bus in an effort to make you ride the metro. Another factoid, they basically combined the blue and red shuttle into the southern route so it will take longer to ride the damn thing. I have yet to read through my literature but this is what another guy who lives in the Maroneal with me said. Supposedly you will have to have the card you use to get in the outer parking lots when parking to get on the 'free' shuttle bus. That's ~$60/month. I can see why they are trying to force a bit, the red shuttle is a double long and just packed a lot of times (due to bigger parking lots and Lanesborough residents), but my poor blue shuttle was just fine.

As for the light rail, it moves faster than I anticipated but I have seen a MARKED increase in Fannin traffic (I drive in during tests and its test time!)

For those looking for apartments, might want to take another look at the Archstone properties where it is 25 cents/ride. Kirby Place also has a shuttle and isn't too bad if you have a roommate. My rent better come down is all I have to say.

For those of you who end up at Houston, you'll still be able to take advantage of the free Houston shuttle which a lot of people ride in from University housing and the Holly Hall area.

yikes! thanks for the heads up, seaworth. of course, i have little to no idea of what exactly this means...other than that i'll have to come down to houston soon to explore all this myself...or try to start saving some $$... :(

hey seaworthc,
So what are people living in lanesborough, maroneal, amli, etc doing now? just taking the light rail or paying for the bus? i was planning on getting a light rail yearly pass anyway, but i thought the bus would always be there as a backup just in case. guess not.

Yeah, now I'M PISSED too. Now there is no more free bus in an effort to make you ride the metro. Another factoid, they basically combined the blue and red shuttle into the southern route so it will take longer to ride the damn thing. I have yet to read through my literature but this is what another guy who lives in the Maroneal with me said. Supposedly you will have to have the card you use to get in the outer parking lots when parking to get on the 'free' shuttle bus. That's ~$60/month. I can see why they are trying to force a bit, the red shuttle is a double long and just packed a lot of times (due to bigger parking lots and Lanesborough residents), but my poor blue shuttle was just fine.

As for the light rail, it moves faster than I anticipated but I have seen a MARKED increase in Fannin traffic (I drive in during tests and its test time!)

For those looking for apartments, might want to take another look at the Archstone properties where it is 25 cents/ride. Kirby Place also has a shuttle and isn't too bad if you have a roommate. My rent better come down is all I have to say.

For those of you who end up at Houston, you'll still be able to take advantage of the free Houston shuttle which a lot of people ride in from University housing and the Holly Hall area.

There's always the bicycle when the weather's good!

(And you'll occassionally freeze your butt off like I did tonight. :()

I dunno about the shuttle, though. I've never had to use it like Seaworth, so I don't have too much experience. I have used the free University shuttle from Condoland before, but it was a bit slow and inconvenient.

Hmm, maybe a better option might be to buy a scooter. You can park in the garages right next to school for free, and the money spent on the purchase will pay for itself after a few months I would think.

My two cents.

Gleevec: As a former Amli resident, I can say that most either rode bikes/mopeds/mortorcycles to work, or simply bit the bullet and bought parking garage passes.

I guess I'm just going to walk, not going to pay $200+ a month to park inside the medical center. I really like where I live and feel like its one of the safest places with its setup. I drive right up to my floor, etc. Maybe rent will go down and I'll get a bus pass (it seems weird to me that they wouldn't make SOME kind of pass just to ride it and not park too.)

I know some people bike from Greenbriar/Lanesborough, etc but I feel like most that bike come from over in the Theatre district. I'm not really sure. A crap load of people take the free shuttle and those who don't live at complexes with a cheap shuttle.

I think people are just pissed off because before everything was free and now the Metro rail pass might be the cheapest thing. That money might have been someone's spring break, you know? A lot of people don't have that much money in med school. That isn't really cheap, especially if you are riding it less than a mile one way (from Lanesborough.) What is that, $456/yr? Also, with deregulation of school tuition, you can expect it to go up a bit at all schools next year in the UT system, not sure how that will effect Baylor, or at all. Gleevec, wasn't it you who posted how they lost something like $60 million dollars of funding/year last year from the Texas govt? I bet you at least remember the thread.

I kind of expect people to flock to the apartments with the 25 and 50 cent shuttles. We just found out about this yesterday, so I'm not sure how people are going to react yet. I'm really glad we get free parking at night and on the weekends at my school. I'll let you guys know when I start hearing stuff, probably won't be till next semester, you don't really need to start getting on waitlists or anything till march maybe april anyways.

hey I've got a question about the Baylor interview: on Interview Feedback, somebody said that they are still evaluating you at Two Rows, so still be on your best behavior. Is that true? But then many people say that they are making their decision while you eat dinner or are on the tour, which is before Two Rows. What gives?

This night before mixers stuff is up to the individual and as long as you behave yourself why not enjoy the opportunity to visit with the students there...these mixers are created to encourage a student to go to a school not to have another forum where you are evaluated, unless you act like a total arse!!!

Originally posted by STAC
This night before mixers stuff is up to the individual and as long as you behave yourself why not enjoy the opportunity to visit with the students there...these mixers are created to encourage a student to go to a school not to have another forum where you are evaluated, unless you act like a total arse!!!

I agree. I doubt anything you say will have any affect, unless you do/say something awful. Kinda like the admissions staff, they have no effect on your acceptance unless you treat someone truly badly.

I thought Two Rows was very relaxed and a great chance to get to know the class.

Good luck!!!
Theresa

I guess I'm just going to walk, not going to pay $200+ a month to park inside the medical center. I really like where I live and feel like its one of the safest places with its setup. I drive right up to my floor, etc. Maybe rent will go down and I'll get a bus pass (it seems weird to me that they wouldn't make SOME kind of pass just to ride it and not park too.)

I know some people bike from Greenbriar/Lanesborough, etc but I feel like most that bike come from over in the Theatre district. I'm not really sure. A crap load of people take the free shuttle and those who don't live at complexes with a cheap shuttle.

I think people are just pissed off because before everything was free and now the Metro rail pass might be the cheapest thing. That money might have been someone's spring break, you know? A lot of people don't have that much money in med school. That isn't really cheap, especially if you are riding it less than a mile one way (from Lanesborough.) What is that, $456/yr? Also, with deregulation of school tuition, you can expect it to go up a bit at all schools next year in the UT system, not sure how that will effect Baylor, or at all. Gleevec, wasn't it you who posted how they lost something like $60 million dollars of funding/year last year from the Texas govt? I bet you at least remember the thread.

I kind of expect people to flock to the apartments with the 25 and 50 cent shuttles. We just found out about this yesterday, so I'm not sure how people are going to react yet. I'm really glad we get free parking at night and on the weekends at my school. I'll let you guys know when I start hearing stuff, probably won't be till next semester, you don't really need to start getting on waitlists or anything till march maybe april anyways.

Yeah I posted the thing about the loss in funding. I agree that is a pain the free shuttles have been replaced by light rail, and its not very fair in terms of budgeting.

Ah well, Ill have to make do with whats available, which probably means buying a light rail pass and having no option of the shuttle (which I originally thought I would have) :(

Also, I know Metro has student discounts on fares, does this only apply to secondary school students or med students as well? Ill try and find out more about this.

Originally posted by soonerpillow
hey I've got a question about the Baylor interview: on Interview Feedback, somebody said that they are still evaluating you at Two Rows, so still be on your best behavior. Is that true? But then many people say that they are making their decision while you eat dinner or are on the tour, which is before Two Rows. What gives?

I think that person is completely wrong, because the people in charge said they were evaluating/talking/ranking the students while we were at two rows (and a bit during the humorous presentation at the end of the day), so I seriously doubt that is the case at all, since the decision has been made.

Plus, no one was taking notes or anything, it was really social, I think as long as you dont do anything illegal you are OK. I doubt the students even remember your name afterwards.

Originally posted by Gleevec
I think that person is completely wrong, because the people in charge said they were evaluating/talking/ranking the students while we were at two rows (and a bit during the humorous presentation at the end of the day), so I seriously doubt that is the case at all, since the decision has been made.

Plus, no one was taking notes or anything, it was really social, I think as long as you dont do anything illegal you are OK. I doubt the students even remember your name afterwards.

I think I remember that post. I thought that person meant that they (the admissions committee, back at the school, in their committee room) are evaluating you while you are at Two Rows, not they (the students at Two Rows with you) are evaluating you. Make sense?

Originally posted by ms. a
I think I remember that post. I thought that person meant that they (the admissions committee, back at the school, in their committee room) are evaluating you while you are at Two Rows, not they (the students at Two Rows with you) are evaluating you. Make sense?

Correct, yup! :)

oh yeah, that's definitely true. the ppl who interviewed you meet that same night...the dean mentioned that as well as my student interviewer. apparently the discussions last well past midnight at times. :eek:.

Hey y'all!

I just got through with my Baylor interview and I'm posting from EvoDevo's place! Woohoo! :D

Originally posted by soonerpillow
Hey y'all!

I just got through with my Baylor interview and I'm posting from EvoDevo's place! Woohoo! :D

Sure you don't want to go to K-state? Damn that was low sorry.

I also just got back from Baylor. I had the pleasure of meeting Soonerpillow and he is a swell guy. I wish you the best of luck and hope you get a phone call next week.

Originally posted by trauma_junky
Sure you don't want to go to K-state?

Why? Because they lost to Marshall?

Originally posted by medman12677
I also just got back from Baylor. I had the pleasure of meeting Soonerpillow and he is a swell guy. I wish you the best of luck and hope you get a phone call next week.

Thanks, man. You too!

Glad to see that you made it safely there, Sooner. Again, good luck with Baylor! Let us know!

congrats on the good interview day, sooner :D

just got back from utsw. overall a good interview experience. i thought parkland was really impressive. AND, among 100 interviewees, i bumped into a fellow sdn'er: lilstina. she's very sweet :clap: good luck to you!

They interviewed 100 in one day? When I was there, only about 60.

well...it seemed like there were a buttload of ppl there. but i might have been exaggerating a tad. :oops: :D