Texas med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrLiver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am planning to apply to texas med schools this summer. I bombed the mcat 22R on 3rd try and GPA 3.4. Graduated 2001 and working at UTSW as a national liver disease coordinator for almost 3 years. Hopefully will have 2 publications and have 5 abstracts out. I have two questions.

What do you think are my chances?????

HOw do LOR work if you have been out of school?

Members don't see this ad.

i think you have a chance. if you are applying this year, i would apply to TMDSAS and AMCAS early. I have been out of college since 1998. However, I have been voulnteering and doing tons of research (1 first authorship publication, 2 other publ.). My MCAT score was so-so, and TMDSAS says you can get LOR from your supervisor and one faculty member from your undergraduate school. I was fortunate to get 5 interviews from the 7 schools i applied to in Texas (one interview at UTSW). Apply early and write a great personal statement.

Thanks for the advice. I've noticed on some posts that some students send their secondaries before their primaries with the Tex schools. Is this bc all schools give secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
In Texas everyone gets a secondary. UTMB doesn't have a secondary and Houston only says that guys have to show that they have registered for the draft or something. A&M, Texas Tech, and TCOM have forever long secondaries.

DrLiver, I am currrently coordinating clinical studies at the Dallas VA for UTSW. I applied this year, for the second time and interviewed at 6 of the 7 schools, including SW. I was in your similar situation last year. I had a very low MCAT with a 3.8+ GPA, great extra currics. and leadership experience, and what I thought was a pretty solid personal statement. I only got one interview though. I had just started the research thing so I wasn't able to put much about it in my app. I called schools to see what exactly was holding me back. Their answer, your MCAT needs to be higher. So I busted my buns and the third try I improved it by 6pts. I feel pretty positive about my chances getting in this year. The research definitely played a huge role I feel. It was always the main topic of discussion. I had my PI write a LOR which I feel also helped tremendously. From my perspective (meaning take this with a grain of salt), your research and a lor from your PI will help tremendously. The flip side to that is, is that your MCAT is low and your GPA is average compared to the national applicant average. The problem with this is, is that you have to hope that schools will look at your whole app, instead of merely imputting your numbers and computing an average to see if they will interview you or not. From what I have seen most schools in TX look at the whole thing, so you may be safe in that regards, but it could be a problem. If they look at your app they will realize how dedicated your are to Medicine and how great a physician you would be. They just have to look. Unfortunately the MCAT is such a huge factor and many times they just pass you by. My suggestion is to possibly take the MCAT one last time. Do something different to improve your score. If you can bring it up just 2-3pts, you should definitely be competitive. This is only an observation so please don't take offense to anything I have said. I have several friends in your exact situation as we speak. Good luck, and what ever you decide to do, make sure you apply to med school. You never know what can happen. You might get in with what you currently have. Good luck.

Yeah, I am a reapplicant too.
2002-2003
Last year my mcat and gpa were about like yours. I got two interviews but no acceptances. i had 1 year of full time research (going on my second). when i talked to the schools they said it was my low mcat score that was keeping me out.

2003-2004
i quit my research job, and after living on my own for two years I moved back in with my parents. I studied full time for the entire summer, and brought my mcat up 5 points. this year i had 4 interviews and we{ll see what happens.

I dont feel like my application this year was hurt by being a reapplicant, if anything it shows drive and motivation. if you want to apply, go for it! i dont think you have anything to lose.