The Republic of Texas XLII: You Don't Just Move Into Texas, It Moves Into You

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question about sending transcripts. If I’m currently in school and graduating in the spring, should I send an official transcript right now to TMDSAS AND the med school I’m accepted to? Or do I wait until final transcripts are available and then send to both places? Because my med school says the deadline is June 1 and they are requesting FINAL transcripts specifically with degree notes but the TMDSAS email from midnight is just asking to send an official transcript (not necessarily the final transcript). Or do I send a transcript in right now to TMDSAS and wait till classes are done in April and then send my final transcript to my med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a question about sending transcripts. If I’m currently in school and graduating in the spring, should I send an official transcript right now to TMDSAS AND the med school I’m accepted to? Or do I wait until final transcripts are available and then send to both places? Because my med school says the deadline is June 1 and they are requesting FINAL transcripts specifically with degree notes but the TMDSAS email from midnight is just asking to send an official transcript (not necessarily the final transcript). Or do I send a transcript in right now to TMDSAS and wait till classes are done in April and then send my final transcript to my med school?
Yes, send now to TMDSAS and probably message your school to ask them if they want it now or after you graduate.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, you guys, what an exciting day we had on TMDSAS Match Day 2024!

By my very unofficial count from reading your news on SDN, we had 63 people match today who had NO previous
pre-matches, and lots of Texans who had pre-matches galore but ended up with their one & only match school today.

I'm excited for you to plan your future, and for those who didn't match today to have a chance to come in from a Wait List or get ready to try again stronger and more confident next time.

Thanks for sharing your news today and hold on to your hats, we're not done!

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 25 users
Members don't see this ad :)

By my very unofficial count from reading your news on SDN, we had 63 people match today who had no previous
pre-matches, and lots of Texans who had pre-matches galore but ended up with their one & only match school today.

I'm excited for you to plan your future, and for those who didn't match today to have a chance to come in from a Wait List or get ready to try again stronger and more confident next time.

@wysdoc you are amazing! Thank you for being a wealth of knowledge that us blind pre-meds can use to navigate this arduous process!

Reactions: 8 users

By my very unofficial count from reading your news on SDN, we had 63 people match today who had NO previous

@wysdoc adding to that number, 10 of my classmates matched to Texas Tech who did not prematch earlier and they are not on SDN.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
@wysdoc adding to that number, 10 of my classmates matched to Texas Tech who did not prematch earlier and they are not on SDN.

Thank you @wysdoc for all your help!!

Wow, did Texas tech not send a lot of prematches? It seems like a lot of people matched yesterday who didn’t have any pm (including me).

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you @wysdoc for all your help!!

Wow, did Texas tech not send a lot of prematches? It seems like a lot of people matched yesterday who didn’t have any pm (including me).
Yeah, they did.
If you look at the Lubbock thread around Oct 15 and Dec 15 there were a bunch. And of course SDN is a limited sample size and not everyone shares their news on here.

A little late, but I matched to Long yesterday! Really excited to be starting the next step of this journey.

• Love
Reactions: 21 users

Thank you for volunteering your time to share insight and fight neuroticism this cycle wysdoc. Us Texans are lucky to have you!

Reactions: 8 users
matched to my #1 but still got an email for a waitlist spot at my #4 (mcgovern). anyhow, i declined it so hopefully this’ll move someone else up!
This exact same thing happened to me I matched to my #1 and then got waitlist offers from my #4 and #6 so I am pretty confused. Does anyone know how this happens or if it is supposed to?

This exact same thing happened to me I matched to my #1 and then got waitlist offers from my #4 and #6 so I am pretty confused. Does anyone know how this happens or if it is supposed to?
As @wysdoc suggested earlier, politely email them to decline. Same thing happened to me with one of my lower schools and I know this is not allowed by TMDSAS. I emailed the school to politely decline. I only kept a higher ranked WL which is allowed

Did anyone who got the WL email from McGovern on accident since they matched into a higher ranked school, get another email from them saying it was an error.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, I ranked them higher than my match so I accepted my spot on the WL. But one of my friends got the error email earlier so I was wondering if others did as well.
Hey I got a wl from a lowered rank school (tyler) and they didn’t send an error email. But I also declined right away

Did anyone who got the WL email from McGovern on accident since they matched into a higher ranked school, get another email from them saying it was an error.
I did not. I just declined my WL spot in the portal and haven't heard anything since.

Oh gotcha! Maybe it was for the people who accepted it? I'm not sure at all tho
Well I truly hope people did the right thing and not accept because it’s in violation of TMDSAS rules so I feel people should do the right thing and not take advantage :)

• Hmm
Well I truly hope people did the right thing and not accept because it’s in violation of TMDSAS rules so I feel people should do the right thing and not take advantage :)
they’ll probably filter out ppl retrospectively even if the ppl who shouldn’t have accepted did. No need to worry about that!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello, I just wanted to confirm - is accepting a seat at a TMDSAS school from your match (specifically wondering about PLFSOM) completely non-binding, even if I were to pay the fee and send transcripts? I understand the fees can be non-refundable which I can deal with, but I guess the term "placement guarantee fee" scares me as I don't know what it means exactly.

Hello, I just wanted to confirm - is accepting a seat at a TMDSAS school from your match (specifically wondering about PLFSOM) completely non-binding, even if I were to pay the fee and send transcripts? I understand the fees can be non-refundable which I can deal with, but I guess the term "placement guarantee fee" scares me as I don't know what it means exactly.
You could still later withdraw if you get an offer from a WL school you prefer before May 15th.
Texans holding a TMDSAS seat can only trade up via TMDSAS WL offers until May 15th.

After that date all WL offers will go to Texans with no admissions, or to OOS applicants.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I am super confused about how the Choose Your Medical School thing on AMCAS works, especially with TMDSAS schools. Also, I don't see UT Southwestern listed on my list as an Alternate List (maybe it is because they haven't sent out waitlist emails yet?).

Last edited:
I am super confused about how the Choose Your Medical School thing on AMCAS works, especially with TMDSAS schools. Also, I don't see UT Southwestern listed on my list as an Alternate List (maybe it is because they haven't sent out wailitst emails yet?).
You need to have at least 1 AMCAS acceptance for things to show up.
If you have that, your Texas schools will show up too.
Don’t fret, TMDSAS system will take care of you
It may also take a week or two for TMDSAS matches to be added in

You need to have at least 1 AMCAS acceptance for things to show up.
If you have that, your Texas schools will show up too.
Don’t fret, TMDSAS system will take care of you
It may also take a week or two for TMDSAS matches to be added in
Thanks! I will probably wait until everything is in the system before I use the tool.

If anyone went to UT for undergrad, did you have to mail your transcript as a physical copy? I didn't see UT on parchment or national clearinghouse (but i've never used these services before so i'm not sure if i just missed it)

If anyone went to UT for undergrad, did you have to mail your transcript as a physical copy? I didn't see UT on parchment or national clearinghouse (but i've never used these services before so i'm not sure if i just missed it)
Hasn’t UT modernized to electronic transcripts still?

I had to mail it.

Hasn’t UT modernized to electronic transcripts still?
UT uses SPEEDE for electronic transcripts which TMDSAS doesn’t accept, so yes you will have to mail the transcript . When I sent mine, it somehow took two months to clear with TMDSAS despite both buildings being a few miles from each other 😂

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know what parts of our TMDSAS apps roll over for reapplication? Mainly curious if I will need to have my letter writers rewrite/find their letters to resubmit or not

Does anyone know what parts of our TMDSAS apps roll over for reapplication? Mainly curious if I will need to have my letter writers rewrite/find their letters to resubmit or not
Go to the TMDSAS guide under Reapplication for a full list.
Your classes will roll over, be sure to add any new ones you have taken since last time.
Essays will not roll over and letters need to be re-uploaded

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
FYI the general advice is that letters need to be re-dated in the application year (like jan 2025 for example), even if they dont change the content. it might also be good for one or two of them to include some updates from what youll be doing until the 2025 application too! you may already know that but putting it out there in case it helps someone :)

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I didnt want to jump the gun but I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between the TMDSAS match and ERAS match. Like are algorithms the same? Or are there stark differences?

I didnt want to jump the gun but I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between the TMDSAS match and ERAS match. Like are algorithms the same? Or are there stark differences?
There are some differences including rules against direct contact with schools outside of protocol during the interview and ranking period, but yeah, first things first and this doesn’t happen until MS4

There are some differences including rules against direct contact with schools outside of protocol during the interview and ranking period, but yeah, first things first and this doesn’t happen until MS4
Gotcha and ty

There are definitely differences, mainly due to volume of programs and variables. Like running a "pick 3" lottery versus the Powerball.

Start reading...

There are definitely differences, mainly due to volume of programs and variables. Like running a "pick 3" lottery versus the Powerball.

Start reading...
Wow….just wow. I tried to look up if there was update but didnt find anything. Did all those applicants who didn’t match bc of technical issues have to SOAP?

Wow….just wow. I tried to look up if there was update but didnt find anything. Did all those applicants who didn’t match bc of technical issues have to SOAP?
That's a good question.

I think as (mostly future) med students we need to be aware of this stuff and spread awareness. ERAS needs us, we don't need ERAS (or the AAMC as a whole or any of their products).

That's a good question.

I think as (mostly future) med students we need to be aware of this stuff and spread awareness. ERAS needs us, we don't need ERAS (or the AAMC as a whole or any of their products).
ERAS still controls apps for a majority of residency fields and many of the residency programs also use them for their interview communications.

FMGs needing visa or unsure of matching apply to many programs, sometimes several fields, at $27 a pop and there are many who spend upwards of $5000 for applying alone.

Believe it or not, medical students need ERAS and not the otherway around. :)

ERAS still controls apps for a majority of residency fields and many of the residency programs also use them for their interview communications.

FMGs needing visa or unsure of matching apply to many programs, sometimes several fields, at $27 a pop and there are many who spend upwards of $5000 for applying alone.

Med students need ERAS like abused spouses need alcoholics who break their nose for forgetting to pay the electric bill.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Oh no, was that a bad analogy? I was foolishly referencing the private company making $200 million dollars a year off the unimaginable hard work and suffering of medical students who have no other recourse but to use the one available system to try to find their spot in a training program designed by a cocaine addict who made his students work 100+ hour weeks to mimic his addiction (and to make sure they didn’t start families). I feel so bad!

Anyone reading this might get the wrong idea about residency. That would be dangerous!

• Hmm
Oh no, was that a bad analogy? I was foolishly referencing the private company making $200 million dollars a year off the unimaginable hard work and suffering of medical students who have no other recourse but to use the one available system to try to find their spot in a training program designed by a cocaine addict who made his students work 100+ hour weeks to mimic his addiction (and to make sure they didn’t start families). I feel so bad!

Anyone reading this might get the wrong idea about residency. That would be dangerous!
All right, guys, if you want to start another thread about ERAS match and how it works or why you don’t like it, please do.

Let’s stay on topic of pre-meds and TMDSAS Match in this forum please.

Reactions: 3 users
All right, guys, if you want to start another thread about ERAS match and how it works or why you don’t like it, please do.

Let’s stay on topic of pre-meds and TMDSAS Match in this forum please.
You’re right, thank you.

This mentality is so pervasive in our world and so toxic.

Just because something has been done a certain way in the past, does not mean that we cannot choose a better way now.

Start making arguments for ERAS (or for the MCAT, or traditional interviews, or private insurance vs. a better system, etc. etc. as this mentality extends past ERAS and the AAMC and medicine as a whole) rather than just smugly describing the current situation. We understand the current situation, we just want it to be better :)

And I'll leave the topic of ERAS there, the #ERASGATE article posted above was a great read.

Do y’all think a 4 year MD/MBA is worth it? McGovern offers this dual degree but I literally have to let them know soon. I’m interested in a competitive specialty and healthcare administration. But at the same time, it would definitely cut down the time I have to pursue research and other extracurriculars. Just not sure if it is worth it to do it now or wait until I actually know what I am doing as a physician and then possibly go back to get an MBA.

Edit: They also offer a 5 year program. But I definitely would not be interested in that (for now at least).

Do y’all think a 4 year MD/MBA is worth it? McGovern offers this dual degree but I literally have to let them know soon. I’m interested in a competitive specialty and healthcare administration. But at the same time, it would definitely cut down the time I have to pursue research and other extracurriculars. Just not sure if it is worth it to do it now or wait until I actually know what I am doing as a physician and then possibly go back to get an MBA.

Edit: They also offer a 5 year program. But I definitely would not be interested in that (for now at least).
This is just personal opinion, but I don't think it is.

The general advice for folks trying to get an MBA (as in, without the MD) is to have at least 2 years of solid, full time work experience under your belt. Otherwise you stick out like a baby and really don't get much out of the experience. What are you going to get out of doing cases on corporate strategy, for example, when you barely understand how a corporation is set up?

Plus, additional tuition costs...

You also don't really need the MBA for anything unless you are dead set on going into administration in the future, and even then, the MBA is to check a box, not necessarily to prove you know anything about business.

My answer to this question is always, always "what would you do with the extra degree?" If you don't really know and are just hoping it might come in handy some day, don't do it. It definitely will not help you with a competitive match.

It is possible to do an MPH in 4 years because they give you a lot of credits for medicine (It is essentially an overlap).

MBA is a different animal. If you want to cram it, it is not worth it. It is best done with an extra year as opposed to being crammed into 4 years primarily because it is a completely unrelated to medicine.

The Dell model works for 4 years.

How would yall rank TCU compared to the other Texas schools? tuition aside, as I know it sucks lol.
I matched UTMB and I will likely attend, but I also got an A from TCU and received a call about their second look today... I wasn't planning on going, but I'm just wondering if I am giving TCU a fair consideration.