General Admissions & OTCAS Texas OT applicants 2018/2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PreReq GPA: about 3.7
GRE: 145Q, 151V, W 4

Unfortunately, I can only apply for TWU Denton or Dallas because I am a non-traditional student and my husband can't move around with me. My fingers are crossed.... Is anybody setting TWU as his/her first choice???? IS the interview notice around 2nd week of December?
TWU houston is my first choice

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I just wanted to post my stats and see if anyone else is in a similar boat! I'm interviewing at St. Augustine Austin a week from today, and I'm really excited/ nervous!

Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.68 Prerequisite: 4.00 (For USAHS, 3.78 because of different prereqs)
GRE: Verbal 166, Quant 154, Writing 4.5
Shadowing: 190 hours, outpatient peds, nursing home, and hand therapist

LOR: One OT, one certified hand therapist, one former employer

Work experience: Taught preschool for three years; nannied a premature baby for two years and worked closely with her PT and OT.

Schools I'm applying to: TWU, St. Augustine Austin, UTEP. I'd really like to stay in Austin and go to St. Augustine, but we'll see!

I would love to hear from anyone else going through the USAHS interview process!

Anyone interviewing at Texas Tech on December 1st? Hoping to connect.
Did texas tech notify you of interview decisions over email or by letter? I applied there but have not heard back yet regarding interview decisions and starting to wonder if the class is full by now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did texas tech notify you of interview decisions over email or by letter? I applied there but have not heard back yet regarding interview decisions and starting to wonder if the class is full by now.
I have not heard back from them either. My application got verified early October. What about you?

I have not heard back from them either. My application got verified early October. What about you?
Mine was around the same time I think. They emailed me for the preliminary screening saying they'll get back when decisions are made. I emailed them and was told that they have my application, and that they'd notify me of decisions once they finish reviewing it. I'm just curious now since I've seen others not only have interviews but get accepted tol

Reactions: 1 user
I received an invitation via email about two weeks ago. I believe Texas Tech has rolling admissions and they keep sending interview invites as they review your application. I know last year an applicant received an invite for late January, so you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard on the second round of interviews for UT Health San Antonio? I know they sent out first round of emails around Nov 16th. Im hoping Im in the second round for Jan.

Hi! I just wanted to post my stats and see if anyone else is in a similar boat! I'm interviewing at St. Augustine Austin a week from today, and I'm really excited/ nervous!

Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.68 Prerequisite: 4.00 (For USAHS, 3.78 because of different prereqs)
GRE: Verbal 166, Quant 154, Writing 4.5
Shadowing: 190 hours, outpatient peds, nursing home, and hand therapist

LOR: One OT, one certified hand therapist, one former employer

Work experience: Taught preschool for three years; nannied a premature baby for two years and worked closely with her PT and OT.

Schools I'm applying to: TWU, St. Augustine Austin, UTEP. I'd really like to stay in Austin and go to St. Augustine, but we'll see!

I would love to hear from anyone else going through the USAHS interview process!

I will be at the St Aug interview next Friday! I had a friend who interviewed there last year and said it was super laid back. Hopefully, we have nothing to worry about!

I have an interview at TWU Denton on January 10th at 2:30! Anyone else??

Is anyone interviewing January 10th at the TWU - Dallas campus at 9 AM??

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Woot! I will be in Denton at 2:30 Also! See you there! My name is Patty Lee and I am a non-traditional student (Undergrad completion was back in 2001). PM me if you want to stay in touch. I hope it is not nerve wracking....

I am interviewing January 10th at 11:30 in Dallas too!! Looking forward to meeting everyone!
I’m interviewing on the 10th at 2:30 on the Houston campus. Anybody else?

Also interviewing at the Denton campus! January 11th @ 11:30

Last edited:
Last year the writing prompt had us choose between 2 traits and explain why the one you picked would be more beneficial in OT. For example empathy and laughter. Every group gets different traits. You also had to give it a title, and there was a word limit and it’s timed.

Not saying this is how/what it will be this year. Just giving you some insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you so much! So you interviewed with TWU last year?

Sounds pretty similar to the Texas Tech interview, besides the writing portion! I'm guessing they want to see how you write during timed periods.

Yes. I got waitlisted and then never got in. They interview a lot of people...I don’t remember exactly how many people were in my session...but I want to say there was at least 2 sessions each day. They break you into groups, and each group goes to an activity, and then you rotate until you are done. I want to say it was about 3 hours long or so. Don’t quote me, I just remember being there for what seemed like forever.

What kind of small group activities do they give the students? I am going to the Denton campus for the interview. Thanks!

Really relaxing. I interviewed in the first group. They’re were two groups. One went on a tour while the other interviewed. Overall it went great. It’s a speed dating interview so you’ll have 3 professors and one students come ask you questions.

What kind of questions did they ask for the speed dating interview? TWU is starting to do that too and I am trying to see what I should prepare!

Last year they put you in a small group with about 4 other people. There was this giant box of OT related items, and you had to pick 5 items that you thought represented OT and why. They watch how y’all work together and communicate. After your time was up you present and they ask you if you feel like you worked well together and if you felt like there was any conflict, etc.

It may be totally different this year, but at least you’ll have an idea of what to expect!

Thank you so much for all your insight. I have my interview at Denton on the 10th at 9AM. So nervous and have no idea what to expect or prepare. So your posts are extremely helpful! Goodluck this time around!

Thank you so much for all your insight. I have my interview at Denton on the 10th at 9AM. So nervous and have no idea what to expect or prepare. So your posts are extremely helpful! Goodluck this time around!

I will be at the 9:00 am interview, too!

What kind of questions did they ask for the speed dating interview? TWU is starting to do that too and I am trying to see what I should prepare!
The main questions like why OT, why Texas tech, how do you handle conflict. Those I think were the only 3 I got asked.

Just received and invite from UT Health Science Center for an interview on the 10th at 1:30!

Hi friends, I just found this thread! I have an interview at TWU Houston on January 11th at 11:30. Super nervous about all the components of the interview

Just received and invite from UT Health Science Center for an interview on the 10th at 1:30!

Congrats!!!! Still waiting to hear back from them. I don't think they chose me for an interview...I would have heard back already. But congrats to everyone whom got an interview!

Congrats to everyone on your interviews and good luck! I applied to the Dallas campus as my first choice but I haven't gotten an email or anything yet :(
I'm guessing I have not been granted an interview but I'll keep my fingers crossed

Hi friends, I just found this thread! I have an interview at TWU Houston on January 11th at 11:30. Super nervous about all the components of the interview
They’re doing interviews on the 11th in Houston as well? I have mine on the 10th

Just when I was giving up I got my interview invitation to the Denton campus today instead of Dallas! I’m so excited :D

Reactions: 4 users
has anyone heard back from Texas Tech recently about an interview ? I just found out that I didn’t receive an interview invitation for TWU so I’m hoping for some good news.

has anyone heard back from Texas Tech recently about an interview ? I just found out that I didn’t receive an interview invitation for TWU so I’m hoping for some good news.
I got one not so long ago

Hi there! I just discovered this thread and have an interview with UTHSCSA for the OTD program on 12/18! Does anyone have more insight on their interview process? I know there is a written portion, group activity, and group interview. Wasn’t sure if anyone was more familiar with how they do things!

Thanks, and good luck to you all!

When is your interview?
I plan on choosing the 11th but I don't know the time yet because I had to accept the campus change first.
Should be receiving the appointment times this week.

Sorry to hear that. I also have not heard from Texas Tech and I am thinking of calling today. Forgot I even applied there honestly lol I saw some people got their interview invites back in October and November! But I have also heard that they extend invitations for interviews as late as January so I wouldn't lose hope.

Hello guys! I am just here to encourage those with a low GPA and or GRE score. I remember reading through everyone’s stats and feeling so down. I applied 2 years in a row and I was feeling so defeated. I finally got accepted into an OT program and I am so excited. If you are really passionate about becoming an OT show it in your interviews. Be confident and be yourself. It goes a long way. At the end of the day, if it’s meant to be it will be. Don’t stress. I pray all of you will get released from this stressful waiting period very soon. Trust me, in the end it will all be worth it. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 15 users
Has anyone heard back from Texas Tech?

I have my interview until next month, but I think I have read people posting they have been accepted already since it is a rolling basis.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes, I’ve seen people get accepted too. I’m still waiting to hear back. Best of luck in your interview!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile