General Admissions & OTCAS Texas OT applicants 2018/2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you! when did you have yours?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been accepted to St Augustine for the OTD program starting next fall. I don't think I'm going to accept though. It's too expensive!

Reactions: 1 user
For people who have had interviews so far or are interviewing soon, how did you prepare for them?

Has anyone heard what the program at UTMB is like?

Also, does anyone know of an online course that satisfies their neuroscience prereq? Thanks so much!!

Has anyone heard what the program at UTMB is like?

Also, does anyone know of an online course that satisfies their neuroscience prereq? Thanks so much!!

I’m also lacking that course! I couldn’t find an online one in my university

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys! I am just here to encourage those with a low GPA and or GRE score. I remember reading through everyone’s stats and feeling so down. I applied 2 years in a row and I was feeling so defeated. I finally got accepted into an OT program and I am so excited. If you are really passionate about becoming an OT show it in your interviews. Be confident and be yourself. It goes a long way. At the end of the day, if it’s meant to be it will be. Don’t stress. I pray all of you will get released from this stressful waiting period very soon. Trust me, in the end it will all be worth it. Good luck everyone!
This is awesome! Where did you end up getting accepted?!

Cool! I've been trying to read up on advice from past posts... but it's been hard to read because subjects have been bouncing around!
Haha same! I backtracked and someone had mentioned how the process was last year, but i’m still unsure how to be prepared so I can do my best

Hi friends, I just found this thread! I have an interview at TWU Houston on January 11th at 11:30. Super nervous about all the components of the interview
I also have an interview at this time!!

Goodluck to you as well!! I am Abby.. I am sure we will run in to each other. Do you by chance know how many people they interview and how many get accepted? I have been unable to find this information on the TWU site.

Thank you! I've been reading a lot of your comments/threads and have really appreciated your insight. Ant last minute tips/tricks you have for a successful interview?

True! Well My name is Erika Hernandez. Hopefully we will get a chance to catch each other at some point. Let me know if you hear anything else helpful for the TWU interview. Goodluck! :)
How did your interview go today at TWU Houston? I have mine tomorrow !

Thank you! I've been reading a lot of your comments/threads and have really appreciated your insight. Ant last minute tips/tricks you have for a successful interview?
Just be prepared with the general idea of why you want to pursue OT. When I heard how the younger candidates presented themselves, I was impressed with their confidence. Agree with Yorit06 - know your why answers - why do you want this. The group activities went well as long as we all got along and the professors were very down to earth.

Do you all know what parking garage we are supposed to use for TWU? I read in the email that it is the Texas Medical Center garage, but I have seen there are several

To those who have been applying to and interviewing with various TX programs, how do you decide between schools besides the perks of location? The two interviews that I have participated in have been very similar, however it's easy to tell that there are different dynamics between students and the curriculum has different focuses. What are some of your deciding factors in choosing a program? Also, current students/alumni how did you choose your program and what should I be looking for in regards to finding a good educational fit?

Reactions: 1 users
I’m also lacking that course! I couldn’t find an online one in my university

I actually found a course (psych 350) at Ashford University that has a class. It is completely online and open admissions! The only downside is it's kinda expensive.

Just an update:

Waitlisted: TX Tech, UTHSCSA, Indiana State,

Awaiting: TWU and ACU

Ugh! Hopefully some spots will open soon!

posting my stats!

Major: Human Development & Family Studies
Overall GPA: 3.64 - graduated May 2018
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5-3.8 (depending on the program)
GRE: 153-Verbal, 146-Quantitative & 4-Writing

Activites: over 600 hours of community service in a community service organization, did research in my college for a professor for two semester, Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for A&P I, Internship with physical therapist in spain

Volunteer/Observation: 850+ hours of work experience/observation as a rehab tech in an inpatient hospital, 50 hours in a neuro outpatient clinic, 60 hours in a pediatric outpatient clinic, 40 hours in an inpatient rehab hospital

Letters of Rec: 2 OT (1 from Director of OT Department at hospital, 1 from professor in my undergrad college)

Applied: TTUHSC, UTRGV, UTMB, UTHSA, TWU
Interviews: TTUHSC(11/16), UTHSCSA (12/18), UTMB (1/25), TWU (1/10)- Declined
Waitlist: TTUHSC, UTHSCSA
Acceptances: UTRGV

UPDATE....Also I wanted to know if anyone had done the UTMB interview and could share some insight.

posting my stats!

Major: Human Development & Family Studies
Overall GPA: 3.64 - graduated May 2018
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5-3.8 (depending on the program)
GRE: 153-Verbal, 146-Quantitative & 4-Writing

Activites: over 600 hours of community service in a community service organization, did research in my college for a professor for two semester, Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for A&P I, Internship with physical therapist in spain

Volunteer/Observation: 850+ hours of work experience/observation as a rehab tech in an inpatient hospital, 50 hours in a neuro outpatient clinic, 60 hours in a pediatric outpatient clinic, 40 hours in an inpatient rehab hospital

Letters of Rec: 2 OT (1 from Director of OT Department at hospital, 1 from professor in my undergrad college)

Applied: TTUHSC, UTRGV, UTMB, UTHSA, TWU
Interviews: TTUHSC(11/16), UTHSCSA (12/18), UTMB (1/25), TWU (1/10)- Declined
Waitlist: TTUHSC, UTHSCSA
Acceptances: UTRGV

UPDATE....Also I wanted to know if anyone had done the UTMB interview and could share some insight.

Undergrad: Angelo State University
Major: Exercise Science
GPA: 3.81
Prereq GPA: 4.0
GRE: V: 150 Q: 148 W: 3.5
Extracurricular: College Athlete (3 yr), Soup Kitchen Volunteer, Young Life Volunteer, Pregnancy Help Center Volunteer, Special Olympics Baseball Coach, Kiwanis Club Children’s Fair...
Observation Hours:
113 in outpatient hand therapy, outpatient neuro, skilled nursing, and inpatient.
LORS: 1 OT, 2 Professors, 1 Employer

Applied to: Texas Tech, ACU, and TWU
Undergrad: Angelo State University
Major: Exercise Science
GPA: 3.81
Prereq GPA: 4.0
GRE: V: 150 Q: 148 W: 3.5
Extracurricular: College Athlete (3 yr), Soup Kitchen Volunteer, Young Life Volunteer, Pregnancy Help Center Volunteer, Special Olympics Baseball Coach, Kiwanis Club Children’s Fair...
Observation Hours:
113 in outpatient hand therapy, outpatient neuro, skilled nursing, and inpatient.
LORS: 1 OT, 2 Professors, 1 Employer

Applied to: Texas Tech, ACU, UTHSCSA, and TWU

Waitlisted Texas Tech
Accepted UTHSCSA

Reactions: 1 users

I was accepted into UTHSCSA and got the acceptance email right before my UTMB interview so that gave me a huge confidence boost.

The UTMB interview was very laid back and welcoming. The professors and students are there to get to know you and thats pretty much it. They didn't ask anything that you wouldnt know the answer of. The individual interview was just 4 questions and mine was more of just a 15 min conversation. The group interview was a discussion in front of two interviewers and its you with three other applicants. Honestly nothing to be scared of, just always have something to say.

I was accepted into UTHSCSA and got the acceptance email right before my UTMB interview so that gave me a huge confidence boost.

The UTMB interview was very laid back and welcoming. The professors and students are there to get to know you and thats pretty much it. They didn't ask anything that you wouldnt know the answer of. The individual interview was just 4 questions and mine was more of just a 15 min conversation. The group interview was a discussion in front of two interviewers and its you with three other applicants. Honestly nothing to be scared of, just always have something to say.

Are you currently already in an OT program or you applied for this upcoming cycle? If so, which one did you end up going to?

Has anyone else heard back from Texas Tech??
I just interviewed with them on the 18th. I've been noticing that a lot of people have been getting waitlisted so I really don't know what to expect. When was your interview?

For those who interviewed with TWU and/or UTMB-

Did the mention of the February 1st dates mean that that was the day in which they’d let us know? Or by that date?

Just anxiously awaiting!

Did the mention of the February 1st dates mean that that was the day in which they’d let us know? Or by that date?

Just anxiously awaiting!

I understood it as they will let us know on that day.

Just anxiously awaiting!

They both send out the emails on that date!!

Anyone else super nervous waiting for February 1st lol

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know if Texas Tech denies anyone, or are you automatically put on the waitlist? Also, what are the odds of getting off the waitlist?