Texas Residency Status: How Does TMDSAS determine it?

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi @wysdoc, I am from OOS and currently attending undergrad in Texas. If I run a tutoring business for a 12-month period while also living in college dorms in Texas, would that count for domicile purposes?

Also, does the 12-month period when I establish domicile need to immediately precede the Nov 1st deadline of the year that I apply, or can it be any 12 months before the deadline? For example, could the 12-month period be from August 2024 to July 2025 if the deadline for the year I apply is November 1, 2026?

Finally, thank you for your time.
 
Hi @wysdoc, I am from OOS and currently attending undergrad in Texas. If I run a tutoring business for a 12-month period while also living in college dorms in Texas, would that count for domicile purposes?

Also, does the 12-month period when I establish domicile need to immediately precede the Nov 1st deadline of the year that I apply, or can it be any 12 months before the deadline? For example, could the 12-month period be from August 2024 to July 2025 if the deadline for the year I apply is November 1, 2026?

Finally, thank you for your time.
Being in Texas while you are an OOS college student is not a qualifying time period.
If you lived and worked at least 20 hours a week after graduating, and not simultaneously being a student, for 12 consecutive months, that would count.
Work-study jobs in college do not qualify.
Texas tuition is affordable even at the OOS rate but it’s not simple to establish domicile and the loopholes you hear about don’t exist.
 
I understand completely. I forgot to mention that I am under scholarship, and I was under the impression that if you get a scholarship in Texas undergrad you can get in state tuition for undergrad. Does this matter at all for the designation for in state/OOS for med school?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I understand completely. I forgot to mention that I am under scholarship, and I was under the impression that if you get a scholarship in Texas undergrad you can get in state tuition for undergrad. Does this matter at all for the designation for in state/OOS for med school?
The rules for the med schools with regards to residency status are more restrictive and specific.
The fact that you got a scholarship to allow you to pay In-state tuition in undergrad still does not make you a Texan, but it's a nice way for the school to make you feel appreciated as an OOS student with this "tuition discount."

There are a few TMDSAS medical schools (not all) who will do this for OOS pre-med students they are trying to recruit. We were discussing this recently here: #171 This is not exactly a scholarship you can apply for, but something one of these schools which wants you might offer.
 
Hi @wysdoc ,

If I were to file taxes as an independent, have sole ownership of residential real property in Texas, and live there for 12 consecutive months by the application deadline, would that qualify me as a Texas resident for my medical school application without taking a gap year? (considering I am an out-of-state college student and a US citizen).

For context: I found this on the TMDSAS website which leads me to believe that I can establish residency by establishing domicile even though I am living in Texas solely for educational purposes
1710969560514.png

(Residency)
 
Hi @wysdoc ,

If I were to file taxes as an independent, have sole ownership of residential real property in Texas, and live there for 12 consecutive months by the application deadline, would that qualify me as a Texas resident for my medical school application without taking a gap year? (considering I am an out-of-state college student and a US citizen).

For context: I found this on the TMDSAS website which leads me to believe that I can establish residency by establishing domicile even though I am living in Texas solely for educational purposes
View attachment 384323
(Residency)
It looks likely, if you actually live in the residential property. However I’m not the arbiter so when you fill out your TMDSAS primary answer all the questions relating to residency one by one and see what their ruling will be.
 
Hi @wysdoc! Thanks for all your help 🙂

I'm applying this cycle and I believe I qualify for TX residency, however is there a set number for how much you have to earn to become a TX resident under TMDSAS standards? I currently make about 20k (not contingent on student status, it's through an MA job and data filing work), and I wanted to know if I qualify before I put all my money in on TMDSAS.
 
Hi @wysdoc! Thanks for all your help 🙂

I'm applying this cycle and I believe I qualify for TX residency, however is there a set number for how much you have to earn to become a TX resident under TMDSAS standards? I currently make about 20k, and I wanted to know if I qualify before I put all my money in on TMDSAS.
No wage restrictions. Just answer all the questions on the TMDSAS app in the residency section and they will tell you their ruling on your status. Don’t worry, you don’t have to have a “yes” answer for every single question
 
No wage restrictions. Just answer all the questions on the TMDSAS app in the residency section and they will tell you their ruling on your status. Don’t worry, you don’t have to have a “yes” answer for every single question
Thank you, that helps a lot! Also, my apologies if this has been asked already (despite solid stats, I must confess I feel rather slow), but does this still apply if you're a full-time student? I'm currently a junior but earn the aforementioned 20k through non-work-study sources to support myself + get clinical experience on top of a scholarship (and because I rather like money). Am I still eligible to claim TX residency, despite being a full time student?
 
Thank you, that helps a lot! Also, my apologies if this has been asked already (despite solid stats, I must confess I feel rather slow), but does this still apply if you're a full-time student? I'm currently a junior but earn the aforementioned 20k through non-work-study sources to support myself + get clinical experience on top of a scholarship (and because I rather like money). Am I still eligible to claim TX residency, despite being a full time student?
I can’t make that judgement, sorry. You will need to answer all the TMDSAS questions truthfully and see what their decision is.
There is also a long video on this topic on Texas Health Education Service YouTube page.
 
I can’t make that judgement, sorry. You will need to answer all the TMDSAS questions truthfully and see what their decision is.
There is also a long video on this topic on Texas Health Education Service YouTube page.
I'll check that video out, thank you! I appreciate your time and patience 🙂
 
This residency is a bit confusing. i am self-employed, but started in august of the preceding year. if i apply in may of this year, can i still claim in-state if by the application deadline i will have over 12 months worth of income?

right now, I don't have 12 months looking backwards (have 10 months), but i will by october 1st. they word it a bit weird when discussing casually in the YouTube videos, saying "make sure you have 12 consecutive months of pay-stubs" while also saying "by the application deadline," but i won't have that when I apply in May.

how can one have 12 consecutive months of pay stubs by the deadline if they are applying before the deadline? Do we continue to upload them over time?

all I have are:
- Invoices
- Filed Tax Returns
- Payments

wondering if anyone can help me validate that i am not crazy
The date stamp is 12 months by October 1 in your application year (Oct 1 2025 for you)
 
It doesn't matter when you move, if you meet the rules a lifelong Texan is the same as a new Texan.
If you prefer to go to a California school, even though you are much more likely to get in as a CA resident, the majority of California residents end up attending OOS because there are just so many applicants.
Hi, I am very late to this thread but I have a question. If im a California resident with low stats (3.2, 508), would applying to OOS schools from California be more likely to work than IS/OOS as a Texas resident? I was considering moving for the instate bias but just realized how high stat Texas is and maybe moving wont be as good of an advantage as I had hoped.

Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I am very late to this thread but I have a question. If im a California resident with low stats (3.2, 508), would applying to OOS schools from California be more likely to work than IS/OOS as a Texas resident? I was considering moving for the instate bias but just realized how high stat Texas is and maybe moving wont be as good of an advantage as I had hoped.

Thanks!
You would have to reside in Texas for at least 12 months by Oct 1 2026 to get TX residency status. Your better plan would be wide application to DO schools next time.
 
There have been many SDN members recently wondering if they qualify to apply to Texas medical schools as a Texas resident. TMDSAS makes the determination about each applicant by very clear and simple guidelines, detailed on their site. I will provide a link below. Your status will be determined as of October 1 in the year you are applying.
The first 2 paragraphs at link 1 explain that they are classifying you for the purpose of the applicant pool. The IRS, various schools, and various other entities may have slightly different definitions.

1. Please :shy: read the information at this link thoroughly before asking me more questions :prof:
Texas Residency Determination (note: this hyperlink updated 6/2022)

2. TMDSAS keeps a podcast library current on topics you will find interesting or useful.
Podcast #39 does a really nice job of explaining the whole process, in an interview format with the director of TMDSAS and their residency expert. Listen all the way to the end, because they run 4 common scenarios past the expert and she explains why the applicant is/is not categorized as a Texas resident in each case. Anyone who feels the initial determination is erroneous for some reason only has to make a written appeal (info for that is in the link in #1 above). Also, the computer system may make an initial classification on you, but each app is also reviewed by a human being and if they see that the classification needs adjusting, they might do that for you, no appeal process needed.


Now you have your assignment, class dismissed!
Wysdoc


On TMDSAS website I see below residency requirements:

Option 2 applies to us and this qualifies residency obligation for my daughter. I am not clear on why do we need to be greencard holder or citizen when we fall under option 2 to prove our residency.

Also, on the TMDSAS website I see name of almost all the Medical schools who don't accept application from Non US Citizens or who doesn't hold Permanent Residents status. I don't understand whats the purpose of this residency requirements when these schools are not even going to accept application who are not US citizens/greencard holders.

Can you help to share your thoughts or experience?

Proof of Residency​

Option 1: Residency through Texas high school graduation​

To establish residency through high school graduation, you must have:

  1. Graduated from a Texas high school or received a GED in Texas; and
  2. Lived in Texas for the 36 months immediately before high school graduation; and
  3. Lived in Texas continuously for the 12 months immediately preceding the application deadline.
This option for establishing Texas residency is available to citizens or permanent residents of the US and to international students (with certain eligible visa types).

Option 2: To establish domicile, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:​

  1. Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months by the application deadline; and
  2. Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months prior to the application deadline, by doing one of the following:
    • Be gainfully employed in Texas (Definition)
    • Sole or joint marital ownership of residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent's parent, having established and maintained a domicile at the residence
    • Own and operate a business in Texas
    • Be married for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas

Notice to applicants without U.S. citizenship or Permanent Resident status​

The following medical schools will only review and consider for admissions applicants who are U.S. citizens or legal Permanent Residents of the U.S.:

Dental

  • UT School of Dentistry at Houston
  • UT San Antonio School of Dentistry
  • Texas A&M University College of Dentistry
  • Texas Tech University Woody L. Hunt School of Dentistry
Medical

  • Baylor College of Medicine
  • John Sealy School of Medicine at UTMB
  • McGovern Medical School, UT Health at Houston
  • Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine
  • Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center - Paul L. Foster School of Medicine at El Paso
  • Tilman J. Fertitta Family College of Medicine
  • University of North Texas - Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • UT Austin Dell Medical School
  • UT Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine
  • UT Southwestern Medical School
  • UT Tyler School of Medicine
  • UT Rio Grande Valley School of Podiatric Medicine

 
On TMDSAS website I see below residency requirements:

Option 2 applies to us and this qualifies residency obligation for my daughter. I am not clear on why do we need to be greencard holder or citizen when we fall under option 2 to prove our residency.

Also, on the TMDSAS website I see name of almost all the Medical schools who don't accept application from Non US Citizens or who doesn't hold Permanent Residents status. I don't understand whats the purpose of this residency requirements when these schools are not even going to accept application who are not US citizens/greencard holders.

Can you help to share your thoughts or experience?

Proof of Residency​

Option 1: Residency through Texas high school graduation​

To establish residency through high school graduation, you must have:

  1. Graduated from a Texas high school or received a GED in Texas; and
  2. Lived in Texas for the 36 months immediately before high school graduation; and
  3. Lived in Texas continuously for the 12 months immediately preceding the application deadline.
This option for establishing Texas residency is available to citizens or permanent residents of the US and to international students (with certain eligible visa types).

Option 2: To establish domicile, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:​

  1. Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months by the application deadline; and
  2. Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months prior to the application deadline, by doing one of the following:
    • Be gainfully employed in Texas (Definition)
    • Sole or joint marital ownership of residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent's parent, having established and maintained a domicile at the residence
    • Own and operate a business in Texas
    • Be married for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas

Notice to applicants without U.S. citizenship or Permanent Resident status​

The following medical schools will only review and consider for admissions applicants who are U.S. citizens or legal Permanent Residents of the U.S.:

Dental

  • UT School of Dentistry at Houston
  • UT San Antonio School of Dentistry
  • Texas A&M University College of Dentistry
  • Texas Tech University Woody L. Hunt School of Dentistry
Medical

  • Baylor College of Medicine
  • John Sealy School of Medicine at UTMB
  • McGovern Medical School, UT Health at Houston
  • Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine
  • Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center - Paul L. Foster School of Medicine at El Paso
  • Tilman J. Fertitta Family College of Medicine
  • University of North Texas - Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • UT Austin Dell Medical School
  • UT Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine
  • UT Southwestern Medical School
  • UT Tyler School of Medicine
  • UT Rio Grande Valley School of Podiatric Medicine

The key question here is, among US Citizens, is an applicant a Texas Resident, or not? Texas residents are allotted at least 90 % of the seats in TMDSAS medical school classes.
It sounds like neither you or your daughter are US citizens or permanent residents, so she will still fall in the international applicant category.
I realize that in current times it is very difficult to be approved for a green card, and that the process can take years even though you as her parent are employed in Texas and own property. The only medical school in Texas that is known to accept non-citizens is TCU Burnett School of Medicine, which uses the AMCAS application system.
 
Last edited:
The key question here is, among US Citizens, is an applicant a Texas Resident, or not? Texas residents are allotted at least 90 % of the seats in TMDSAS medical school classes.
It sounds like neither you or your daughter are US citizens or permanent residents, so she will still fall in the international applicant category.
I realize that in current times it is very difficult to be approved for a green card, and that the process can take years even though you as her parent are employed in Texas and own property. The only medical school in Texas that is known to accept non-citizens is TCU Burnett School of Medicine, which uses the AMCAS application system.

The key question here is, among US Citizens, is an applicant a Texas Resident, or not? Texas residents are allotted at least 90 % of the seats in TMDSAS medical school classes.
It sounds like neither you or your daughter are US citizens or permanent residents, so she will still fall in the international applicant category.
I realize that in current times it is very difficult to be approved for a green card, and that the process can take years even though you as her parent are employed in Texas and own property. The only medical school in Texas that is known to accept non-citizens is TCU Burnett School of Medicine, which uses the AMCAS application system.
In the TMDSAS residency podcast # 39 they repeatedly used the work INTENT to stay in Texas .. that’s the main factor .. you should be able to showcase your INTENT that you will stay back in Texas to support Texas rather leaving for another state or country
 
In the TMDSAS residency podcast # 39 they repeatedly used the work INTENT to stay in Texas .. that’s the main factor .. you should be able to showcase your INTENT that you will stay back in Texas to support Texas rather leaving for another state or country
I do understand what you are asking and I’m sorry I won’t give you an answer you will be happy with.
We could boil it down further to 2 factual questions:
1. Is applicant a US citizen or permanent resident?
“No” - then she is an international applicant.
“Yes” - then the other questions come into consideration, is she a Texas resident or a resident of one of the 49 other states?
 
I do understand what you are asking and I’m sorry I won’t give you an answer you will be happy with.
We could boil it down further to 2 factual questions:
1. Is applicant a US citizen or permanent resident?
“No” - then she is an international applicant.
“Yes” - then the other questions come into consideration, is she a Texas resident or a resident of one of the 49 other states?

Thank you! appreciate the time you took to answer.