General Admissions & OTCAS Texas schools 2020-2021 stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know how full the st Augustine class is for Austin?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone been waitlisted at ACU yet? Not sure if they’ve finished acceptances and moved on to the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been waitlisted at ACU yet? Not sure if they’ve finished acceptances and moved on to the waitlist.
i got an email on the 5th that my application status was “under departmental review”. i know it’s not helpful but i feel like they’re moving through everything slowly

Reactions: 1 users
i got an email on the 5th that my application status was “under departmental review”. i know it’s not helpful but i feel like they’re moving through everything slowly
Whew thank god I’m not the only one I was surprised there were some people who got theirs early. I got the same interview and I freaked out a bit since someone already got an acceptance

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know how full the st Augustine class is for Austin?
They began accepting people back around august, so I would assume slightly full. But since it’s expensive I bet a lot of people will get off the waitlist.
I agree, it’s probably getting full, but the price tag is pretty high so I’ve head many people end up going to other schools instead. I think they’re still accepting people though because I had an interview in January and was accepted. I gave up my spot in the MOT program and switched to their OTD program, not sure if that’s helpful at all.

Hey do you know if anyone else got their acceptance? I only got an email last week saying my application is going under review.
Hi! I was accepted into ACU's MOT program on February 2nd. I also applied to their OTD program. Their department shared that they will not be admitting applicants into the OTD until April once the program passes the candidacy review.

I agree, it’s probably getting full, but the price tag is pretty high so I’ve head many people end up going to other schools instead. I think they’re still accepting people though because I had an interview in January and was accepted. I gave up my spot in the MOT program and switched to their OTD program, not sure if that’s helpful at all.

when switching was the process an easy process? They told a friend of mine she’d have to be reevaluated if she switched

when switching was the process an easy process? They told a friend of mine she’d have to be reevaluated if she switched
It was super easy for me! I submitted my GRE even though it wasn’t required when I applied to the MOT program, so I’m not sure if your friend did that or not. I just know the OTD program requires it.
My advisor called me the day after my acceptance to congratulate me. I talked to her about switching into the OTD program because it seemed like a better fit for my goals. All she said she needed to do was put in the request to switch and if admissions needed anything additional from me they would reach out. They didn’t ask for anything additional and within a day I got an acceptance email.
I was told in a student meet-and-greet and by my advisor that you have the opportunity to switch up until your second term in the program. You still have time to think about it if you’re unsure about switching, but you could definitely reach out to your advisor to talk with them about it!

Last edited:
Hi! I was accepted into ACU's MOT program on February 2nd. I also applied to their OTD program. Their department shared that they will not be admitting applicants into the OTD until April once the program passes the candidacy review.
Do you know anyone else who was accepted? I was also accepted into the MOT program!

Do you know anyone else who was accepted? I was also accepted into the MOT program!
That's awesome! Congratulations! I do not know anyone else who has been accepted. However, I am thinking I will start a separate thread and Groupme for those planning on attending.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I want to connect those planning to attend Abilene Christian University’s MOT program. I have attached the link for a GroupMe chat for anyone interested.

You're invited to my new group 'ACU- MOT Class of 2023' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Boo that all our OT school acceptances are going to be postponed a week. Hope everybody is safe and warm!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey Guys!
so unfortunately I did not get into OT school this time around, and since I will be graduating in May I wanted to find a job that could help me build my resume for OT school. what are some jobs that you guys have done that have benefits for you when you applied to OT school. In the future, I hope to be working in a pediatric clinic, but I am open to working with all ages to help build my resume.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Hey Guys!
so unfortunately I did not get into OT school this time around, and since I will be graduating in May I wanted to find a job that could help me build my resume for OT school. what are some jobs that you guys have done that have benefits for you when you applied to OT school. In the future, I hope to be working in a pediatric clinic, but I am open to working with all ages to help build my resume.
I just had a lottttt of observation hours in multiple settings. I had about 250 observation hours, including pediatric outpatient and an inpatient rehab hospital. But if you're looking for an actual job, looking for therapy tech positions is a good idea.

Hey Guys!
Therapy tech is always great. I would say it is pretty easy to get a behavior technician job, so ABA therapy. I have firsthand experience with ABA and it is not for everyone -myself included- Depending on the company -I have experience with several- they are kind of iffy with their workers and see you as expendable, super high turnover rate. But if you need something quick and entry level definitely you'll be able to land a job easily. I will say its not the most sustainable meaning it is extremely unlikely to work 30 hours a week, more likely a part time job. Its easy to feel burnt out also and not a lot of support/a ton of driving since you most likely will be driving to the clients houses. Good experience working with individuals with autism though.

Currently I work as a teacher aide in a non-public school and I absolutely love it! I work 1-1 with students with developmental disabilities. I am fortunate to have a job as other schools laid off their aides due to pandemic, but it has worked out really well for me and I accompany my students on their services sessions also so OT, speech and APE so I was able to see firsthand what they all do and I felt that help solidify wanting to become an OT.

Good luck next application cycle!

Therapy tech is always great. I would say it is pretty easy to get a behavior technician job, so ABA therapy. I have firsthand experience with ABA and it is not for everyone -myself included- Depending on the company -I have experience with several- they are kind of iffy with their workers and see you as expendable, super high turnover rate. But if you need something quick and entry level definitely you'll be able to land a job easily. I will say its not the most sustainable meaning it is extremely unlikely to work 30 hours a week, more likely a part time job. Its easy to feel burnt out also and not a lot of support/a ton of driving since you most likely will be driving to the clients houses. Good experience working with individuals with autism though.

Currently I work as a teacher aide in a non-public school and I absolutely love it! I work 1-1 with students with developmental disabilities. I am fortunate to have a job as other schools laid off their aides due to pandemic, but it has worked out really well for me and I accompany my students on their services sessions also so OT, speech and APE so I was able to see firsthand what they all do and I felt that help solidify wanting to become an OT.

Good luck next application cycle!
that is super helpful information. do you need any sort of certificate to be a teacher's aid/ what training did you need to have?

that is super helpful information. do you need any sort of certificate to be a teacher's aid/ what training did you need to have?
In my experience, did not need a certificate or anything. From what I've seen typically what you need to have is CPR/First aid- they usually will pay for you to get this certificate. And crisis prevention intervention training, again this will be provided it teaches you how to do holds safely and properly. Also a certain amount of college credits but since you're about to graduate you'll be fine in that regard. You'd just need to do the typical clearances of background check and TB test.

You could try for public schools also and being a teacher aide there. Could be placed in a special ed classroom. NPS schools are students who are in the public school system but they get contracted to us usually because of their behaviors or if they are non-verbal. It can be a little intimidating because some of the students can and will be aggressive so I would just say be sure that when you are looking, look out for how well the staff works together. Its normal for a high turnover rate to occur regardless since people tend to be younger and either moving on to grad school or other places. I'm fortunate enough that anyone and everyone will jump in and help if need be but have heard of instances of being left to dry. So just letting you be aware of what you may encounter/ know what you are getting into if you go down that route.

There are also ABA behavior technicians that have school cases. So, technically you are working for ABA company or even the school themselves try to contract people out but you are responsible for only 1 student in a classroom. This is a better route in terms of getting hours more consistently/not having to drive around as much as typically with ABA companies you'd be working after school hours so from 3-7 timeframe which can be exhausting and on the weekends from anytime. But if you were to get a school case then you'd most likely just have that school case and nothing else. For this you would be going on sessions with them also if they have them -which is most likely.-

Hope that helps!

In my experience, did not need a certificate or anything. From what I've seen typically what you need to have is CPR/First aid- they usually will pay for you to get this certificate. And crisis prevention intervention training, again this will be provided it teaches you how to do holds safely and properly. Also a certain amount of college credits but since you're about to graduate you'll be fine in that regard. You'd just need to do the typical clearances of background check and TB test.

You could try for public schools also and being a teacher aide there. Could be placed in a special ed classroom. NPS schools are students who are in the public school system but they get contracted to us usually because of their behaviors or if they are non-verbal. It can be a little intimidating because some of the students can and will be aggressive so I would just say be sure that when you are looking, look out for how well the staff works together. Its normal for a high turnover rate to occur regardless since people tend to be younger and either moving on to grad school or other places. I'm fortunate enough that anyone and everyone will jump in and help if need be but have heard of instances of being left to dry. So just letting you be aware of what you may encounter/ know what you are getting into if you go down that route.

There are also ABA behavior technicians that have school cases. So, technically you are working for ABA company or even the school themselves try to contract people out but you are responsible for only 1 student in a classroom. This is a better route in terms of getting hours more consistently/not having to drive around as much as typically with ABA companies you'd be working after school hours so from 3-7 timeframe which can be exhausting and on the weekends from anytime. But if you were to get a school case then you'd most likely just have that school case and nothing else. For this you would be going on sessions with them also if they have them -which is most likely.-

Hope that helps!
what is NPS?

Hey Guys!
This was my second time applying this round so it is ok! I worked on building my resume and I worked in the ABA therapy field. It is not for everyone but I absolutely love it. You do have to find a company that is willing to be flexible and allow you to be creative. I also did OT observations at many clinics. I did a variety of settings not just pediatric patients. I also retook anatomy lecture and lab to boost up my preq gpa. I also feel like I built connections with the OTs and my job supervisor so I was able to get great recommendations.

This was my second time applying this round so it is ok! I worked on building my resume and I worked in the ABA therapy field. It is not for everyone but I absolutely love it. You do have to find a company that is willing to be flexible and allow you to be creative. I also did OT observations at many clinics. I did a variety of settings not just pediatric patients. I also retook anatomy lecture and lab to boost up my preq gpa. I also feel like I built connections with the OTs and my job supervisor so I was able to get great recommendations.
I worked as an ABA therapist for two years and worked one year at an assisted living facility by being a part of their activities department! Working with diverse populations as well as shadowing in diverse settings has helped me become an overall well rounded applicant. Good luck in your OT Journey! :)

Hey Guys!
I think it depends what experiences you already have! I’ve been told there is a heavy consideration of your clinical experiences at most places (over your grades/stats).

Most places look for multiple settings: school, hospital, general rehab facility, in patient clinic/ out patient clinic, specialty (mental health, hand therapy, etc.) *these are some and not all examples*

Most places also looks for experience across the lifespan- pediatrics —> young adult/adult —> geriatrics

I have also been told by many schools that they take into account official observation as well as “related experiences”. For example, I was an inclusion counselor at a summer camp for two summers. I worked one on one with a special needs camper to adapt the camp experience to meet his needs. This included taking him for breaks, altering activities, helping him navigate social situation, etc. Another example is my job as a life and social skills coach for a young girl, which included creating “treatment plans”, carrying out the plans, keeping notes, consulting with her OT/Speech/ABA team, etc. I was not supervised by an OT in either of those jobs but clearly they’re related to the field! 😁 I hope this helps!

I think it depends what experiences you already have! I’ve been told there is a heavy consideration of your clinical experiences at most places (over your grades/stats).

Most places look for multiple settings: school, hospital, general rehab facility, in patient clinic/ out patient clinic, specialty (mental health, hand therapy, etc.) *these are some and not all examples*

Most places also looks for experience across the lifespan- pediatrics —> young adult/adult —> geriatrics

I have also been told by many schools that they take into account official observation as well as “related experiences”. For example, I was an inclusion counselor at a summer camp for two summers. I worked one on one with a special needs camper to adapt the camp experience to meet his needs. This included taking him for breaks, altering activities, helping him navigate social situation, etc. Another example is my job as a life and social skills coach for a young girl, which included creating “treatment plans”, carrying out the plans, keeping notes, consulting with her OT/Speech/ABA team, etc. I was not supervised by an OT in either of those jobs but clearly they’re related to the field! 😁 I hope this helps!
Going off this- YMCA has an amazing opportunity called camp in motion. It’s for kids with cerebral palsy and the counselors work one on one with the kids as their helpers. Most counselors are Future OTs! It’s led by OTs from Dell children’s. Not sure if it’s happening in 2021 bc covid but worth checking out!

Has anyone heard about Tech?

Hey, I email them about my application and within the email they included:

“The program may offer admission to alternate candidates up until the first day of class. If you are selected for admission, you will be contacted via email, so please continue to watch your inbox for correspondence from the TTUHSC School of Health Professions.”

Reactions: 3 users
Just received an acceptance from UTEP!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I just got off the waitlist for Texas Tech! Will be accepting since I have not heard back from TWU yet

You

Awesome. You interviewed 11/1? I looked back at your stats and we are so close. I didn’t get anything but that is where I want to go! Congrats! I’m happy for you.
I interviewed on 11/6. Thank you and I really hope the best for you too!

I am just wondering if I should reach out to admissions to see where I stand? I don’t know if that’s appropriate or not. Do you have any advice? Did you follow up with them?
No I didn't follow up with them after submitting my application. I feel like even if you did, they would be pretty vague about it and just tell you to keep waiting basically?

I am just wondering if I should reach out to admissions to see where I stand? I don’t know if that’s appropriate or not. Do you have any advice? Did you follow up with them?
me and someone else i know were both waitlisted at the same school (different one than you) but she sent a letter of continued interest to the director of the program and she got off the waitlist and will be attending the school. i didn’t send a letter of continued interest (i have a seat in a different program currently) and i am still on the waitlist for the school that she got into. i don’t think it will hurt to send a letter or ask questions. shows you are still interested in the program. my friends in other programs have also sent letters of continued interest to their top programs! it’s all up to you though

me and someone else i know were both waitlisted at the same school (different one than you) but she sent a letter of continued interest to the director of the program and she got off the waitlist and will be attending the school. i didn’t send a letter of continued interest (i have a seat in a different program currently) and i am still on the waitlist for the school that she got into. i don’t think it will hurt to send a letter or ask questions. shows you are still interested in the program. my friends in other programs have also sent letters of continued interest to their top programs! it’s all up to you though
Do you mind sharing what program your friend got into after sending in a letter?

I know this happened early last month for some people but for anyone waitlisted for utmb did your application status change recently to no longer being an active application? Like is this still the status for everyone who is waitlisted?

I know this happened early last month for some people but for anyone waitlisted for utmb did your application status change recently to no longer being an active application? Like is this still the status for everyone who is waitlisted?
yes

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from ACU? Or have they sent out all their acceptances?

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from ACU? Or have they sent out all their acceptances?
i haven’t heard anything from ACU besides an email saying my application was under review